2021 NFL Draft will be unlike any other

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The 2021 draft may very well stand out to be a one of a kind.

It is hard enough to evaluate and draft players... Plop a pandemic into that and it certainly won’t make it easier.

In 2020 we had reasonably “fresh data” or data very comparable to previous years. The pandemic hurt things, but a lot of work was done for a normal draft. Most things didn’t get disrupted until Feb 2020. Just 2 months prior to draft day.

2021 is now two years into the disruption. Travel. Games impacted. Workouts. Medicals.

Some prospect agents might use this to their advantage to feed disinformation, to help their clients.

How does a team navigate this? Who has the best plan?

I saw this comment from Jason La Canfora to be interesting from a totally unrelated article. It speaks to this.

Link to Article

“Especially with no combine and no private visits and workouts this year, it's more difficult than ever to get an early bead on some things. This year's pre-draft run-up is even more bizarre than last year's on many levels and everything is lagging; medicals, metrics on many key prospects, and certainly the flow of information”

^ What does that mean? How does that impact things?

Me... trade down. Load up on picks.

It will be more lottery than ever.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
That theory has serious merit. But even normal drafts produce only one or two difference makers. The Rams have been good at finding those later in the draft (Kupp, Edwards, JJ...)

But the alternative is going for those they believe they have all the data they need and not letting them slip because the rest are even riskier than usual. Therefore, trading up has similar merit in some cases.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just read an article on the athletic about Snead and his scouting department. They plan to continue the process that has evolved each year. They don’t go to many pro days, only go to the combine for he and McVays obligatory interview and then leave. They get all of the info they need because it’s all made available. They do their own interviews on zoom because they don’t think the combine interviews are effective.

Snead said this all started to evolve the year the Rams moved from St. Louis to LA. He also said it helps to keep their draft plans more private and the time they would spend traveling is now more productively being used to get more work done.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO the Rams have a huge advantage over any team that does not use analytics. The reason why the Rams don't need to attend workouts is they can get pretty much everything they need from a player's game film. After all it's not how a player tests it's how he plays.

Also, this draft won't be about drafting to fill starting roles but rotational-type players to develop into future starters. SCB is a part-time position as is a #3 RB/FB. When you look at the Rams, the more they seem to ignore a position of clear need then the more likely they have a targeted player. Some will immediately point to center, but they ignore that the Rams already drafted for that position and Brian Allen did show enough in 2019 to warrant further looks. So IMO that doesn't fit the criteria. SCB is another clear position of need but it's at best less than a 50% position as Morris will have multiple options just with current roster players.

I for one don't anticipate the Rams trading out of #57. I think they probably have a targeted player, probably edge to backstop Lewis (health) and Floyd (rotation). Because of the way the roster looks right now there really isn't any pressing need to trade down for more picks. Conversely, I could see them trading up for a targeted player. Right now if they were going to trade down it probably would be their #3 pick for another 4th round pick and perhaps a 5th round pick.

Positions I see as being targeted with only the edge player probably warranting a 2nd round pick. IMO if they trade out of 57 it's because the player or players targeted at that point are off the board.

Edge, RB/FB, SCB, LS

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO the Rams have a huge advantage over any team that does not use analytics.
Serious question... are there actually teams out there still not using data analytics? I assume some are better than others and some invest more heavily but are any teams actually not using them in 2021? Most small businesses use analytics these days

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasnt concerned that a lot of the player success we've had was due to Brad Holmes

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Did they have the combine, private workouts, meetings, etc for last years draft? Or did that get disrupted/canceled due to CV? I can’t recall if those items were done already before the cuss hit the fan last year.

Last edited:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
have they said how the draft is actually going to work this year

it's still in Cleveland right ?

will Roger Goodell be there , what about players or fans

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
have they said how the draft is actually going to work this year

it's still in Cleveland right ?

will Roger Goodell be there , what about players or fans

CLEVELAND -- The NFL announced today that the 86th annual NFL Draft will take place April 29-May 1 across iconic downtown Cleveland locations, including FirstEnergy Stadium, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Great Lakes Science Center.

A select number of prospects will take the stage in Cleveland while fans, media, NFL Network, ESPN and ABC crews will also be on-site as the league welcomes the new rookie class. Building on the success of last year's virtual Draft, additional prospects will also participate in Draft festivities remotely from their homes around the country.

Club personnel involved in the selection process will be permitted to gather in a Draft Room at a location of their choosing, whether that be their facility or elsewhere while following appropriate protocols.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My concern are medicals. Medical stuff like what happened with Bud Sasser is my ultimate concern; that's wasting a pick when we have few picks as it is.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Serious question... are there actually teams out there still not using data analytics? I assume some are better than others and some invest more heavily but are any teams actually not using them in 2021? Most small businesses use analytics these days

apparently so. there are some franchises you look at and you just can tell they don't RELY on their numbers like the Rams and a few other orgs do.

I'm sure older coaches have no idea how to integrate the deep data with their coaching/personnel decisions...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
apparently so. there are some franchises you look at and you just can tell they don't RELY on their numbers like the Rams and a few other orgs do.

I'm sure older coaches have no idea how to integrate the deep data with their coaching/personnel decisions...
That’s just unacceptable as an organization in my opinion. The older coaches don’t need to understand it they just need to hire people that do. It blows my mind the owners could be successful businessmen in industries that are likely utilizing data analytics and not apply it to their team.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
There has to be at least one. I don't think most small businesses use analytics. I think a lot of them probably have some analytics and maybe even look at it. But I disagree that they use it. And by use it I mean actually evaluate it, make meaningful choices based on it, track the results of those choices, and revaluate based on the results. Anything less than that isn't using the data analytics so much as guessing based on a gut feeling developed while in possession of data analytics.

The Lions. I bet the Lions didn't have data analytics at all and that's why they took our man.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
My concern are medicals. Medical stuff like what happened with Bud Sasser is my ultimate concern; that's wasting a pick when we have few picks as it is.
Medical checks are still being done in Indianapolis and other regional facilities..... A few players have missed their exam due to Covid. Here is one example ....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mcvay has a system he likes.Will see what 2021 brings.2020’draft class should make a big impact.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
IMO the Rams have a huge advantage over any team that does not use analytics. The reason why the Rams don't need to attend workouts is they can get pretty much everything they need from a player's game film. After all it's not how a player tests it's how he plays.

Also, this draft won't be about drafting to fill starting roles but rotational-type players to develop into future starters. SCB is a part-time position as is a #3 RB/FB. When you look at the Rams, the more they seem to ignore a position of clear need then the more likely they have a targeted player. Some will immediately point to center, but they ignore that the Rams already drafted for that position and Brian Allen did show enough in 2019 to warrant further looks. So IMO that doesn't fit the criteria. SCB is another clear position of need but it's at best less than a 50% position as Morris will have multiple options just with current roster players.

I for one don't anticipate the Rams trading out of #57. I think they probably have a targeted player, probably edge to backstop Lewis (health) and Floyd (rotation). Because of the way the roster looks right now there really isn't any pressing need to trade down for more picks. Conversely, I could see them trading up for a targeted player. Right now if they were going to trade down it probably would be their #3 pick for another 4th round pick and perhaps a 5th round pick.

Positions I see as being targeted with only the edge player probably warranting a 2nd round pick. IMO if they trade out of 57 it's because the player or players targeted at that point are off the board.

Edge, RB/FB, SCB, LS

I must disagree with your no-trade down position.

I is my opinion that Snead will be straining to make modest trade downs out of at least 57 and 88 in order to take full advantage of the depth plateau through round 4 in this particular draft.

An extra couple of picks gained before the end of the 4th round could be VERRRRRY beneficial.