2019 draft: My Guard choices in trade down, or 3-4th rounds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Roger Saffold was the best Ram guard since maybe Newberry. (Yes, I remember A Timmerman, lol)
He was a mediocre LT at best....but, a great draft pick!

The Rams needs some more reinforcement, if back up J. Damby doesn't work out---or even if he does

The Rams will draft a guard, or a tackle who can convert.

4. Cody Ford, OT/G, Oklahoma (Overall Rank: 28)
Height: 6' 33⁄4" | Weight: 329 pounds
Ford dropped weight and delivered a breakout season stepping in at right tackle last year. His future might be inside, where he made his seven starts as a freshman and sophomore. He’s exceptionally nimble for his size, but offers more value as a mauling run-blocker than pass protector, where he could be exposed by NFL speed on the edge.
Comment: Mid 2nd round, if we trade down

6. Dalton Risner, G/OT, Kansas State (Overall Rank: 38)
Height: 6' 43⁄4" | Weight: 310 pounds
Risner started his career at center before moving to right tackle for the past three seasons. He’s an average athlete, but his toughness, strong base, heavy hands and recognition skills would translate well inside, where he’s more likely to become a quality starter.
Comment: If we trade donw; Guard or center, and tough, smart. Late 2nd rounder

13. Chuma Edoga, OT, USC (Overall Rank: 80)
Height: 6' 31⁄2" | Weight: 308 pounds
He’s raw, but Edoga has the length (343⁄4-inch arms) and athleticism to hold up as a pass protector at left tackle. Right now he’s better in the run game, where his athleticism shows up landing blocks in space. If he can become more technically sound and efficient with his movements in pass-protection, he’ll be a quality starter.
Comment: put him at guard and he will be very good.

14. Dru Samia, G, Oklahoma (Overall Rank: 86)
Height: 6' 43⁄4" | Weight: 305 pounds
A four-year starter at Oklahoma, Samia is at his best on the move in the run game, where he has the range and athleticism to land blocks on the second level. He has some issues as a pass-protector, especially against power, but has early starting potential for an outside-zone team.
Comment: 3rd round--A little weight lifting, and he will be ready in 2020

15. Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State (Overall Rank: 89)
Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 322 pounds
A nimble mover at 320-plus pounds, Howard’s quick feet, length (34-inch arms) and girth will give him a chance to become a starter in the NFL. The jump in competition will likely require something of a redshirt year, but his ceiling is significant.
Comment: This is a Jimmy Johnson special 4th rounder for 2020!

16. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss (Overall Rank: 92)
Height: 6' 51⁄4" | Weight: 310 pounds
He has the requisite combination of length, size and quickness to play tackle in the NFL, but Little plays with occasionally poor balance and an overall lack of functional strength. With more consistency, he’ll be a quality starter in the NFL.
Comments: reminds me of Noteboom

17. Dennis Daley, OT, South Carolina (Overall Rank: 97)
Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 317 pounds
A JUCO transfer who became a two-year starter at left tackle in the SEC, Daley offers enough length and athleticism to become a starting tackle at the next level. He has room to improve, especially when it comes to his hand usage, but the level of competition he faced in college could have him ready for the field earlier than the other developmental OT prospects in this class.
Comment: Pick in the 5th round special, if we have one, and he slips down.
job, but the upside is there.

20. Bobby Evans, G/OT, Oklahoma (Overall Rank: 103)
Height: 6' 43⁄8" | Weight: 312 pounds
He was a little better at right tackle his sophomore year than he was at left tackle last year. Evans is at his best mauling in the run game and could end up inside, but his length (343⁄4-inch arms) mitigates his lack of elite athleticism and gives him a chance to stay at tackle.
comment: Maybe 4th rounder than can start in 2020

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Awesome, thanks for this breakdown!
Anyone that reminds you of Noteboom would be great; we could trade down, get a great CB/S, and grab Little in round 4 / 5.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Risner and Ford are long gone by those points imo. I think we'd have to take either at #31. I also am a big fan of Edoga and Daley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So many ways they can go. This draft really supplements their needs well, which of course is why they let those areas become needs going into this draft.

Les is on his game man.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Nice options, honestly, it sounds like the front office and coaching staff have tremendous faith in Kromer at ID'ing talent and molding it. I almost don't care who they pick with him involved in the process. Not saying they're gonna absolutely hit on their picks but I have faith he'll coach them up. And it will be nice to see what - if anything - Demby can provide after a year in the weight room.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Risner and Ford are long gone by those points imo. I think we'd have to take either at #31. I also am a big fan of Edoga and Daley.

There are some teams that will almost certainly take OL in that 15-20s range. Vikes for example. But never know they might get all stupid and take Bradbury over those two because he fits that new scheme they're installing (i.e. ours).

Either way yeah, Risner in particular is a guy you just take. He's an impact lineman IMO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Unmentioned here, but i'm preferring Penn St. OG Connor McGovern if we trade out of the 1'st and can gain an earlier 3'rd round pick to go with whatever our new first pick happens to be. jmo.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nice options, honestly, it sounds like the front office and coaching staff have tremendous faith in Kromer at ID'ing talent and molding it. I almost don't care who they pick with him involved in the process. Not saying they're gonna absolutely hit on their picks but I have faith he'll coach them up. And it will be nice to see what - if anything - Demby can provide after a year in the weight room.
Kromer is far and away, the best O line coach we've had since Hannifan.
I hope hes our o line coach for many years to come

Ants

Starter
There are some teams that will almost certainly take OL in that 15-20s range. Vikes for example. But never know they might get all stupid and take Bradbury over those two because he fits that new scheme they're installing (i.e. ours).

Either way yeah, Risner in particular is a guy you just take. He's an impact lineman IMO.

Yeah, Risner is the guy I've latched onto in the past couple off weeks.
I think he could be the guy (if they go OL) if he's there. I could see S/CB also.
...I fear we'll find out on Friday. :LOL:

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Don’t forget Nate Davis.. we brought him in and I believe met with him too. Could be our target with one of our thirds