2018 salary cap projections

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On Mark Barron ...I sure do not see the Rams releasing the defenses top leading tackler 2 of his last 3 seasons with the Rams. Mark has played most of this season with a broken thumb. Earlier in TC & pre season he was battling an aliment that kept him out of all of pre season & TC practices. The $$ issue has ramifications too ...here is 3 million of dead $$ if released. When Mark arrived in 2014 he played a major role as a reserve to both safety posts & even started a game @ CB. In 2015 he started 12 gms @ both safety & OLB'er & was the teams leading tackler. In 2016 he started all 16 gms in a base Nickle 43 defense with only 2 LB'ers starting. This season was his 1st time in a 34 "D" & his first as a inside LB'er.

Since his arrival in 2014 Mark has played & started @ CB, SS, FS, 43 "D" SSLB'er, 43 "D" WSLB'ers, 4-2-5 Base Nickle "D" WSLB'er & now his first season as an ILB'er:bow:. Does that mean anything @ all? Finally who do the Rams have on the roster now who can fill his cleats:thinking:? Right there is no one which means you will either pay another UFA mega $$$ to play ILB'er or you will utilize priceless rare draft selections to start a rookie? My position is you allow this highly talented defensive player an opportunity to start in the same position for a change.

:bueller:have anything they would want to add on mark Barron??

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I am feeling that the Rams don't sign Watkins---they wait to see what he is offered, maybe $9-10 million and they will sign him.....I am probably wrong.

Very interested to see what happens with Bradford (Not because he was an ex-Ram, really). I wonder if a team like hte Cardinals offer him a starting chance, with low money, big on bonuses. Otherwise, can any team assume he can handle anything playing a full year? Like Wentz he didn't even get hit, and he is out for the year from the Saints game. Fragile! But arm talent.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
50 million + 11.4 (Quinn) + 7 (Barron) + 3 (Tavon) = 71.4
71.4 cap space
Donld (6.8) gets another 13M in 2018 on a 20m per year contract
58.4 cap space
Free agent CB to replace Tru 12M, re-sign Joyner 10M, re-sign NRC 10M
26.4 cap space
Sullivan 7m
19.4 cap space
Free Agency I try to sign some LBer's or DT. Need two OLB one ILB and one DT.
I am not re-signing Watkins.
Draft 0-Lineman and Linebackers depending on what I did in Free Agency.

You layed it all thanks---good thoughts. Here is what I would change a bit.
Appending what you wrote:
*Sullivan at $7 mill avg over 2 year contract....he may be worth it, but can he make it another year? He is a very, very
old 31 :)
*I think Barron stays, 100%. The rams losses haven't been because of him, and yes people can run up the gut on him---but he is so valuable on passing downs, and he can cover TEs because of his speed, unlike most 'big' ILBs.
Also,when the Rams line up he can cover a TE or RB who has speed and he doesn't have to be afriad, unlike most ILBs not named Luke or Bobby. Not being vulnerable to speed is very important. He is faster and has much bettter change of direction ability than Alec, too...by far.

*If they have $12 millions set aside for a premier edge rusher, I will be happy.
Then, I think Quinn has looked pretty good lately; but ya, he will be cut, I guess. He isn't an OLB, anyway.
*I do believe Wade's gap 3-4 works because of DOnald and Brockers.....so, they gotta resign AD.
*Roby C at $10 mill....arghhhh. He is very good, though, but not great.
*Sign best free agent CB on market....only hte best will do...and will he be that good Maybe not, but better than TRu.
*Keeping Barron makes all my 'numbers' =0 (with $12 and $12 for free agent edge rusher and corner).
* OLT on 1st round pick and corner for 3rd round pick. IF the OLT rookie is good, he can move to RT, and have Mr
Havenstein inside at guard (or not).
* Oh, and I guess no Sammy! But, I would love to do a one year $11 million deal (like Ashlon---the Philly WR did).
at 24 years old, why can't he sign a 1 year prove it? His ego, that is why, LOL.

The old 2014-2015 Tru is a mirage in these days....he certainly has even less speed. He was a great 3rd round pick, and maybe he does something in the playoffs that makes us say "oh,we gotta sign him"....but no way. He has to go.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Niners are gonna be flush with cap space
Is there a weaker sicker CB unit in the NFL than the 9ers? Think that they will make a nice mega $$$ offer to corner Trumaine Johnson who was born & raised a little east of 9erville? ;) I would bet on it. No way the Rams could match what the 9ers can offer.
The 56 million is before any roster cuts/restructuring for Austin or Quinn or even Barron.I would think Quinn would consider a pay cut since he will not get huge money on the open market so if he likes it here, could reduce his cap number with a restructuring... maybe sane with Barron, but Austin should be gone.
Ref. Tavon Austin ...I have seen the attempts by our good members here to post on the pro's of paying TA $$$ 8 million to play what ever position he plays? My small brain :headexplosion:when I try to think of legit reasons to pay $ 8 million for a 3rd string RB behind Gurley & Brown? or how can you pay that $8 mil to be your 4th string WR who only has 10 receptions for 3.3 yds a catch..... or your back up to Punt Returner named Pharoh Cooper who averages 12 yds a return when TA averages only 4 yds a return with fumbles included.:shocking:. Mike Thomas is our back up KR to Cooper. Can someone say that TA is worth the 8 mil to be just that a back up RB/WR/PR?

It would be best that we arrange a trade of TA to Cap salary rich team who lack speed & dynamics. A 6th or 7th round selection would be great! If not I would use TA to move up in the later rounds too. I would prefer to use other younger offensive players who hardly touch the football most of which are ascending.....like P.Cooper/Rob Wood or Sammy Watkins to run the TA sweeps myself & use those millions for Donald, Sullivan, Watkins, Joyner, NRC, Barwin all starter types but the reasons to keep TA & pay him * million are interesting reading:rolllaugh:

Last edited:

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
50 million + 11.4 (Quinn) + 7 (Barron) + 3 (Tavon) = 71.4

71.4 cap space

Donald (6.8) gets another 13M in 2018 on a 20m per year contract

58.4 cap space

Free agent CB to replace Tru 12M, re-sign Joyner 10M, re-sign NRC 10M

26.4 cap space

Sullivan 7m

19.4 cap space

Free Agency I try to sign some LBer's or DT. Need two OLB one ILB and one DT.

I am not re-signing Watkins.

Draft 0-Lineman and Linebackers depending on what I did in Free Agency.

Sullivan and NRC signed for a million each this year, no way the Rams are giving Sullivan 7 million and NRC 10 million. No chance.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Maybe if the Browns get Darnould and Barkley, Austin coulf be their jet sweeper, and helps Barkley like he "helps" Gurley. Maybe they just might give you a 5th since they have the cap space and will not have an easy time attracting players despite the cap dollars... I would jump at that offer.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You layed it all thanks---good thoughts. Here is what I would change a bit.
Appending what you wrote:
*Sullivan at $7 mill avg over 2 year contract....he may be worth it, but can he make it another year? He is a very, very
old 31 :)
*I think Barron stays, 100%. The rams losses haven't been because of him, and yes people can run up the gut on him---but he is so valuable on passing downs, and he can cover TEs because of his speed, unlike most 'big' ILBs.
Also,when the Rams line up he can cover a TE or RB who has speed and he doesn't have to be afriad, unlike most ILBs not named Luke or Bobby. Not being vulnerable to speed is very important. He is faster and has much bettter change of direction ability than Alec, too...by far.

*If they have $12 millions set aside for a premier edge rusher, I will be happy.
Then, I think Quinn has looked pretty good lately; but ya, he will be cut, I guess. He isn't an OLB, anyway.
*I do believe Wade's gap 3-4 works because of DOnald and Brockers.....so, they gotta resign AD.
*Roby C at $10 mill....arghhhh. He is very good, though, but not great.
*Sign best free agent CB on market....only hte best will do...and will he be that good Maybe not, but better than TRu.
*Keeping Barron makes all my 'numbers' =0 (with $12 and $12 for free agent edge rusher and corner).
* OLT on 1st round pick and corner for 3rd round pick. IF the OLT rookie is good, he can move to RT, and have Mr
Havenstein inside at guard (or not).
* Oh, and I guess no Sammy! But, I would love to do a one year $11 million deal (like Ashlon---the Philly WR did).
at 24 years old, why can't he sign a 1 year prove it? His ego, that is why, LOL.

The old 2014-2015 Tru is a mirage in these days....he certainly has even less speed. He was a great 3rd round pick, and maybe he does something in the playoffs that makes us say "oh,we gotta sign him"....but no way. He has to go.
If you will permit me Mr. SteveBrown........

I sure agree on Trumaine, with Snead's well proven track record @ finding starting DB's in the 2nd & 3rd day of the draft do we really need to sign the best UFA corner on the market? In this subject I would let Snead work his magic & benefit from him being our outstanding Draft Guru GM myself & not get gaped up in the salary cap issues. Snead has drafted 7 starting DB's since he arrived. Snead should be able RESIGN our own 3 of the 4 starting DB's Joyner/Davis/NRC at the cost of the best 2018 UFA corner.

Agree with you on NR-C. He was paid under 700K for this season why would the Ram Org. pay NRC anything close to 10 mil a year? NRC is a starting Nickle not a starting boundary corner. The Rams might seek a 3 yr. contract for a total near $9 million. That still a sizeable pay increase. Starting safety/Nickle Joyner will cost more. Safety Cody Davis will cost much less. Bet on Snead using those 6 third day draft selections on DB's where Snead will utilize bargain hunting & Cap savings to its maximum limits !

If the Rams do cut the $12 mil plus cap hit of OLB Rob Quinn (who benefits greatly from playing right next to the best defensive player in the NFL Aaron Donald), along with letting the other starting OLB Conner Barwin depart on the UFA road then you can bet that 2018 First round draft selection will lean heavy to secure the BPA @ Edge Rusher who will enable this Wade 34 "D" work so much better. Having a young talented ER who can get the hits, pressures & sacks,plus seal the edge on those outside runs will improve this run defense dramatically. How much better will the ISLB'ers play not having to worry & be so concerned with Quinn's liabilities in this area ?

Last edited:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Regarding or #1 draft pick next year (#31 or #32, I hope):

The problem for the Rams is: they can't sign a free agent LT and put him at RT for a year, or until WHit can't make it anymore. I would like them to do that, and then use the #1 on an edge rusher or corner.....move Rob to guard if they have to...and then resign Rob in 2019 and put him back at RT. This is not reality, right?

No LT will sign with the Rams, play at RT and wait, will he?

Whit is playing well, but looks tired.....so, he willnot play all 16 next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am keeping Watkins, Barron, and Joyner

Something needs to be done with Johnson, Austin, and Quinn’s deals.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sadly the Whiners have their QB.
Yeah, but they have to pay him right? Far as I know he is an UFA after this season and he is going to wanna get PAID. They will probably franchise him at the least.

Memphis Ram

Legend
On Mark Barron ...I sure do not see the Rams releasing the defenses top leading tackler 2 of his last 3 seasons with the Rams. Mark has played most of this season with a broken thumb. Earlier in TC & pre season he was battling an aliment that kept him out of all of pre season & TC practices. The $$ issue has ramifications too ...here is 3 million of dead $$ if released. When Mark arrived in 2014 he played a major role as a reserve to both safety posts & even started a game @ CB. In 2015 he started 12 gms @ both safety & OLB'er & was the teams leading tackler. In 2016 he started all 16 gms in a base Nickle 43 defense with only 2 LB'ers starting. This season was his 1st time in a 34 "D" & his first as a inside LB'er.

Since his arrival in 2014 Mark has played & started @ CB, SS, FS, 43 "D" SSLB'er, 43 "D" WSLB'ers, 4-2-5 Base Nickle "D" WSLB'er & now his first season as an ILB'er:bow:. Does that mean anything @ all? Finally who do the Rams have on the roster now who can fill his cleats:thinking:? Right there is no one which means you will either pay another UFA mega $$$ to play ILB'er or you will utilize priceless rare draft selections to start a rookie? My position is you allow this highly talented defensive player an opportunity to start in the same position for a change.

Quite frankly, I believe that Ogletree would be even better at his play making ILB spot and the team might be able to find a better run defender for Ogletree's ILB spot.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

So what you're saying is ... he's the runner up for the Dudeness award?
tS5iX40M_400x400.jpg

I still can't get over the fact the we lucked out and got this guy because he didn't fit in with Smith's cover 2.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, but they have to pay him right? Far as I know he is an UFA after this season and he is going to wanna get PAID. They will probably franchise him at the least.
Which probably played into the delay in starting him. Maybe not.
After a handful of starts? He will get paid but not in a crazy way I think.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Regarding or #1 draft pick next year (#31 or #32, I hope):

The problem for the Rams is: they can't sign a free agent LT and put him at RT for a year, or until WHit can't make it anymore. I would like them to do that, and then use the #1 on an edge rusher or corner.....move Rob to guard if they have to...and then resign Rob in 2019 and put him back at RT. This is not reality, right?No LT will sign with the Rams, play at RT and wait, will he?Whit is playing well, but looks tired.....so, he willnot play all 16 next year.
Yep this is an issue that will have to be addressed in the off season. Just not sure how the Rams will address it. The easiest way to deal with this issue that will not incur massive amounts of new cap cost hits is use the late round First selection on a talented class act OT. But it seems it takes a half dozen seasons of on field experience for a OL'er to figure out how to play. So the Rams are already way behind now on getting this working plan up & running.

Rams will pay over 12 mil. again to Whitworth next season. Thus I do not see any UFA LT coming in to address this matter. In 16 months the Rams will have to pay big for the service of UFA's Rob Havenstein & Jamon Brown. Whitworth had played in just about every offensive snap of the season until he was injured. Kromer continued to run out Whitworth even when gms were well in hand. No desires to pulled him out or let reserve swing OT Darrell Williams get some additional game experience.Now our 36 yr old LT has a injured knee going into the playoffs. No telling where this injury will take Whitworth on the remaining 3 gms & into the playoffs. 99.9 % of the Ram fans have no concerns here, since they have been told that Whitworth will most likely start. We will see how Whitworth performs this Sunday afternoon:notsure:.

Swing OT Darrell Williams has never been considered a future starting LT in the NFL just stop gap reserve material. There was a big reason DW saw only 15 regular season snaps in his NFL career until last week. However the Rams show no signs of being concerned with this situation. Sure came back to haunt them last Sunday & played a major role in getting a BIG loss too. Whitworth has yet to practice this week about usual but normally he is limited in practice on Thursday but he was not involved this week. I would bet that Saffold got a ton of time in practice @ LT & Austin Blythe @ LG this week;). It sure looks like the Rams could be leaning in this direction if something were to occur @ LT.

Another factor here is Kromer did not want Rob Havenstien as his starting RT this season, he wanted Rob as his RG instead. But he did not have a OL who could play RT better than Rob. Kromer might still have this same desire & will want to go ahead with moving Havenstien. But he will need a new supply of OT's to do this. Has anyone seen the list of 2018 FA'cy OT's? Other than Pats Nate Soldier its a very weak group:poop:. Rams will have both of their reserve OT's on that list too.
https://overthecap.com/free-agency

4th OT WWC Cornelius Lucas has yet to dress this season. That should speak volumes. There was a reason that Whitworth came back in to finish & play last Sunday when Havenstein injured his knee & went out ....Kromer did not have any other reserves other than back up center Blythe. Lucky for the Rams Whitworth sucked it up & went back in. Not impressed with the Rams Org. on that situation myself. I would hope that with 2 injured starters @ OT a 3rd OL'er dressed would be prudent. Whitworth could have damaged that knee even worse & been gone for the yr:huh:.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I don’t like the idea of Quinn leaving. The guy is finally healthy and producing. 4 sacks in his last 3 games. That’s the Robert Quinn of old. I think he can be a wrecking ball next year with another season in Wades system.

Big Quinn fan here. He has played better. He isn't bending around the corner like he use to. He really doesn't bend much at all to get under the OT. It's all about his health. He need to get stronger and get more flexible he could be much better. Tough call to make and you have to find a replacement and with another for Barwin a possibility. IIRC Quinn made an inside more last week. Let's see how he does this last part of the season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quite frankly, I believe that Ogletree would be even better at his play making ILB spot and the team might be able to find a better run defender for Ogletree's ILB spot.
Your post does have some good merit to it Memphis. You erase Mark from this roster & I would bet that Tree does shift to the weak side Mark inside post. But the problems will be on the edges in the off season not inside.

If you have seen some of posts earlier in the season I thought that the Eagles current Strong Side OLB'er Mychal Kendricks would be a good fit in here in this Wade's 34 "D" Tree post. Mychal past performances in the Eagles 34 "D" @ the Tree post was outstanding & a bona fide run stuffer. He will be released or traded due to his high salary cap cost hit in 2018/2019 either before FA'cy or during the draft.