2018 Rams Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm thinking we might just stand pat at OLB with Barwin returning.
That's the position I beleive the Rams are at too jrry32.
Is that a done deal?
I looked everywhere & can not find any news today yet den. Oh by the way I sending you up some cold late winter mix to start your week off.:)

Not sure what the hold up on Barwin is? Rams may not have planned on him starting this season but to be the veteran presence blended in with a very youthful OLB cadre. The past team captain veteran Conner Barwin is looking for starters pay day thus that may be the issue plus he might be looking for more than a one year deal.However he would be a good addition back to this Rams defense if the Five Edge Rushers/OLB'ers remain the same plus the certain addition of a few drafted rookies.

OSLB'ers Matt Longacre & Garrett Sickels were tendered & signed back. Matt Longacre is now entering his 4th season & IF fully recovered from late last season back surgery would be certain early downs starter. It's been announced that last season 4th rd pick Samson Ebukam is also expected to start so there's your two starters. Ebukam did get a good work out his rookie season. He started 2 gms plus finished several others & played in all 17 gms in 2017. This may surprise any here but Ebukam had more tackles than starter Rob Quinn.The other two signed OSLBer is Ejuan Price & Carlos Thompson.Both of them entering their 2nd seasons.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Yea, I forgot about Thompson and Price. Can Thompson play ILBer because I think Price can play OLBer?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
I looked everywhere & can not find any news today yet den. Oh by the way I sending you up some cold late winter mix to start your week off.:)

Not sure what the hold up on Barwin is? Rams may not have planned on him starting this season but to be the veteran presence blended in with a very youthful OLB cadre. The past team captain veteran Conner Barwin is looking for starters pay day thus that may be the issue plus he might be looking for more than a one year deal.However he would be a good addition back to this Rams defense if the Five Edge Rushers/OLB'ers remain the same plus the certain addition of a few drafted rookies.

OSLB'ers Matt Longacre & Garrett Sickels were tendered & signed back. Matt Longacre is now entering his 4th season & IF fully recovered from late last season back surgery would be certain early downs starter. It's been announced that last season 4th rd pick Samson Ebukam is also expected to start so there's your two starters. Ebukam did get a good work out his rookie season. He started 2 gms plus finished several others & played in all 17 gms in 2017. This may surprise any here but Ebukam had more tackles than starter Rob Quinn.The other two signed OSLBer is Ejuan Price & Carlos Thompson.Both of them entering their 2nd seasons.

Good review of the OLB position. Wonder if the Rams may move Ebukam to the right side to replace Quinn, bring back Barwin to play the left side, where he played last year, and have Price & Thompson battle for his backup. Certainly will still draft a OLB or 2, just not early as many of the mock drafts are anticipating.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good review of the OLB position. Wonder if the Rams may move Ebukam to the right side to replace Quinn, bring back Barwin to play the left side, where he played last year, and have Price & Thompson battle for his backup. Certainly will still draft a OLB or 2, just not early as many of the mock drafts are anticipating.
Maybe but I was of the opinion that the healthy Matt Longacre was the best well rounded OLB'er we had last season. Matt should be as good or better. If Barwin wants more commitment he might need to look elsewhere.

Ebukam did see both sides but Wade played him most on the strong side. Longacre played most of his time on the weak side.

Ram65

Legend
If they up Donald to $20 cap hit this year it looks like they have about $10M cap left. My guess is they would rather pick up 4 decent players vs one more big $$ player with the remaining. So doing the math no one over $2.5M cap hit at this point. If Donald gets more then the $$ pool lowers accordingly.

They already have about 6.892 Million accounted for Donald's 2018 salary. They have some flexibility depending what years they want to take the bigger cap hits. If you go with 20 Million in 2018 then the cap hit will increase 20Mil-6.892Mil which is 13.108 Mil.

Bottom line is the Rams have more to spend if they want to.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Not sure what the hold up on Barwin is? Rams may not have planned on him starting this season but to be the veteran presence blended in with a very youthful OLB cadre. This may surprise any here but Ebukam had more tackles than starter Rob Quinn.The other two signed OSLBer is Ejuan Price & Carlos Thompson.Both of them entering their 2nd seasons.

As to your winter mix comment, I'd kill for 45 degrees....8 more years until we relocate to Fort Worth Texas, where men are men and sheep are nervous!

Anyway thanks for researching Barwin as I too have not seen anything pertaining to him coming back, but everyone is just thinking it's done. I feel good about Ebukam and feel they will add another edge rusher too like Marcus Davenport or Harold Landry in the draft, but IMO, an ILB is also needed. Cory Littleton could be called upon, however, then they need to replace Littleton on special teams as he was a stud there too...I expect some more under the radar FA signings, but the draft will have us all watching, that is for sure.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Maybe but I was of the opinion that the healthy Matt Longacre was the best well rounded OLB'er we had last season. Matt should be as good or better. If Barwin wants more commitment he might need to look elsewhere.

Ebukam did see both sides but Wade played him most on the strong side. Longacre played most of his time on the weak side.

Agree Longacre played well, but those back problems he had at the end give me pause to consider him to be a every down OLB, maybe more of a rotational piece similar to how he was used last year. Health is the key.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As to your winter mix comment, I'd kill for 45 degrees....8 more years until we relocate to Fort Worth Texas, where men are men and sheep are nervous!

Anyway thanks for researching Barwin as I too have not seen anything pertaining to him coming back, but everyone is just thinking it's done. I feel good about Ebukam and feel they will add another edge rusher too like Marcus Davenport or Harold Landry in the draft, but IMO, an ILB is also needed. Cory Littleton could be called upon, however, then they need to replace Littleton on special teams as he was a stud there too...I expect some more under the radar FA signings, but the draft will have us all watching, that is for sure.
My AC unit has been on since yesterday afternoon when the temps shot back up to the low 80's here in NWFL. Texas is a great state period I prefer the western side myself. The eastern side just looks like Florida to me. I like the way they do the Interstate Hwys & major four lane roads with running a constant 2 lane road on each side of the Interstate. Best I have traveled in the USA! Great stuff when your RV'ing. Easy off & on. Of course they have plenty of room to do that.

Cory can play inside & out if needed. If they select some heavy hitters early @ Inside LB'er then Cory could shift back outside easy. I feel the same about Ebukam. I am sure they will add a few Edge Rushers somewhere in the draft.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like the way they do the Interstate Hwys & major four lane roads with running a constant 2 lane road on each side of the Interstate. Best I have traveled in the USA! Great stuff when your RV'ing. Easy off & on. Of course they have plenty of room to do that.

Cory can play inside & out if needed. If they select some heavy hitters early @ Inside LB'er then Cory could shift back outside easy. I feel the same about Ebukam. I am sure they will add a few Edge Rushers somewhere in the draft.

Not to digress (thread wise), but I like the fact in Texas you can jump on a highway less traveled and they charge your plate accordingly. Now, sometimes you more costly than other times, but most of the time, I will always take the road less traveled and it's a great way to add to revenue for the state and enables the State to refrain from a State Tax.

Anyway agree on Littleton and I guess we have to give the Fisher regime some credit for seeing his upside. Again, the Rams have nine picks in the upcoming draft and I do believe they will package a few 6th's to move up into the 5th or maybe a 4th and a 6th for an extra 3rd, but we as Ram fans over the years have made our draft our Super Bowl and now, it's shaping up different.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
You're not going to be able to convince me that they wouldn't give up a 6th or two if they thought a player was worth trading up for. This isn't Fisher, as we have entered a Ram's future of rainbows, moonbeams, and a world filled with topless girls with perfect breast. Sorry, maybe a little over the top there.

Oh no, you're doing just fine! Keep painting a beautiful picture with words!

Or better yet, maybe I should just go visit the booty thread? Or is it the boobie thread? I get those two confused sometimes.

fearsomefour

Legend
My AC unit has been on since yesterday afternoon when the temps shot back up to the low 80's here in NWFL. Texas is a great state period I prefer the western side myself. The eastern side just looks like Florida to me. I like the way they do the Interstate Hwys & major four lane roads with running a constant 2 lane road on each side of the Interstate. Best I have traveled in the USA! Great stuff when your RV'ing. Easy off & on. Of course they have plenty of room to do that.

I have less faith in Ebukam at this point, although, he may have more upside.
Littleton was solid and Samson made some plays but Sampson also had issues holding contain on outside runs and struggled with many of the things rookies do.
As of now the Rams starting LBs would be (assuming) Longacre, Hagar, Barron, Ebukam or Littleton....that looks like a big ol basket of ehhh to me.
Maybe a couple of themselves guys are ready. Time will tell. Would still much prefer having a vet or two signed.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Titans just cut Sylvester Williams. Wonder if Wade would want to reunite with him as well? Shouldn't break the bank and is at a position of need.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
To me the thought of having three of our 2nd string linebackers from last year becoming starters all at the same time does not seem like a wise move. In fact, it's just plain scary. If they would at least sign 1 or 2 veteran linebackers on the cheap as back ups who could start if need be, it would help minimize my panic attacks.

But if they do plan on going with Longacre, Ebukam, and Littleton or Hager as starters, then getting a stout DT who can man the middle of the line is a must, either in free agency, or the first round of the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Titans just cut Sylvester Williams. Wonder if Wade would want to reunite with him as well? Shouldn't break the bank and is at a position of need.
I not real sure he is the answer to our run defense ramfan46, Broncos has big issues stopping the run in 2016 (Wade's last season @ Denver) So the Broncos moved on. They said he was a big part of the Bronco's struggles against the run, grading near the bottom of PFF’s ratings in 2016. Then he got a good size contract last yr @ this time with the Titans. Surprising Williams had several healthy scratches from the game day roster in 2017. Titans were quick to also move on from him. So he is @ 29 & has been discarded twice in two seasons.

I am hoping the Rams resign NT Tyrunn Walker as the veteran NT to go with Omarius Bryant & Ethan Westbrooks (last years starter) & then draft a talented run stuffer. Those four player elements should be enough to improve the overall play @ NT. It will not break the salary cap bank either.

To me the thought of having three of our 2nd string linebackers from last year becoming starters all at the same time does not seem like a wise move. In fact, it's just plain scary. If they would at least sign 1 or 2 veteran linebackers on the cheap as back ups who could start if need be, it would help minimize my panic attacks.

But if they do plan on going with Longacre, Ebukam, and Littleton or Hager as starters, then getting a stout DT who can man the middle of the line is a must, either in free agency, or the first round of the draft.
Not sure which ILB'er will call the defensive plays does anyone have a guess? Mark Barron has been in the NFL since 2012 (7th seasons) but not known for being a vocal type but he sure is a true professional & is more than capable. Hager performed that job when Tree was not on the field & from what I saw did it well. Hager is entering his 4th season as is Longacre so those two are not rookie like any longer.

Now Littleton is entering his 3rd season with 32 NFL gms under his belt with five starts & a half dozen finishes as the gm starter. So he is not all that green either. The other 4 Ebukam, Thompson, Price & Sickels all entering their 2nd season.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I not real sure he is the answer to our run defense ramfan46, Broncos has big issues stopping the run in 2016 (Wade's last season @ Denver) So the Broncos moved on. They said he was a big part of the Bronco's struggles against the run, grading near the bottom of PFF’s ratings in 2016. Then he got a good size contract last yr @ this time with the Titans. Surprising Williams had several healthy scratches from the game day roster in 2017. Titans were quick to also move on from him. So he is @ 29 & has been discarded twice in two seasons.

Not sure which ILB'er will call the defensive plays does anyone have a guess? Mark Barron has been in the NFL since 2012 (7th seasons) but not known for being a vocal type but he sure is a true professional & is more than capable. Hager performed that job when Tree was not on the field & from what I saw did it well. Hager is entering his 4th season as is Longacre so those two are not rookie like any longer.

Now Littleton is entering his 3rd season with 32 NFL gms under his belt with five starts & a half dozen finishes as the gm starter. So he is not all that green either. The other 4 Ebukam, Thompson, Price & Sickels all entering their 2nd season.
I'm glad you brought that up about who would be calling the plays, as I hadn't even thought about that yet. Right away I'd probably eliminate Ebukam, Thompson, Price, and Sickles, because of their lack of experience. To me it's either Barron, Longacre, or the other middle linebacker, depending on who that is. But if I had to choose, if Hager is starting then he would make the calls. If he isn't starting, then it should be Barron.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm glad you brought that up about who would be calling the plays, as I hadn't even thought about that yet. Right away I'd probably eliminate Ebukam, Thompson, Price, and Sickles, because of their lack of experience. To me it's either Barron, Longacre, or the other middle linebacker, depending on who that is.
Defensive play caller has not been dicaussed. I brought it up last week in a post & not one member decided to have a discussion on it.

Mark Barron is making the big $$$ here....I would look for him to pick up the leadership mantel of the LBing unit. Otherwise it will fall into Bryce Hager or Cory Littleton hands whoever end up @ the Mike post because Mark does not play the Mike.

Another thing to remember Cory Littleton @ 225 lbs has never played the Mike post either. So I am :confused: by everyone expecting Cory to start:thinking: Ok where will he start @ Barron's post or @ the two OLB'er posts? Or do they expect Barron to move to the Mike post?:seizure:

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Defensive play caller has not been dicaussed. I brought it up last week in a post & not one member decided to have a discussion on it.

Mark Barron is making the big $$$ here....I would look for him to pick up the leadership mantel of the LBing unit. Otherwise it will fall into Bryce Hager or Cory Littleton hands whoever end up @ the Mike post because Mark does not play the Mike.

Another thing to remember Cory Littleton @ 225 lbs has never played the Mike post either. So I am :confused: by everyone expecting Cory to start:thinking: Ok where will he start @ Barron's post or @ the two OLB'er posts? Or do they expect Barron to move to the Mike post?:seizure:
I'm not a big fan of the thought of Littleton and Barron manning the two linebacker post, there's just much meat there.:eek: I can see a rotation of Barron, Littleton, and Hager,

I agree with you that Barron should be making the calls if he's healthy enough to practice, not just show up at game time. The defense has to work smoothly and in sync with each player on the field. So they need to have the same person who makes the calls in practice be the same one who calls the plays during the game.

dang

Legend
I'm not a big fan of the thought of Littleton and Barron manning the two linebacker post, there's just much meat there.:eek: I can see a rotation of Barron, Littleton, and Hager,

I agree with you that Barron should be making the calls if he's healthy enough to practice, not just show up at game time. The defense has to work smoothly and in sync with each player on the field. So they need to have the same person who makes the calls in practice be the same one who calls the plays during the game.
Barron will succeed if a) we get a stud ILB run stuffer and b) he stays healthy. I would not count on a draft pick coming right into play and becoming a). Hager looked well below average and Littleton looks to be a nice rotational player. So it remains to be seen what the plan is but right now it’s a BIG RED FLAG on defense.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Barron will succeed if a) we get a stud ILB run stuffer and b) he stays healthy. I would not count on a draft pick coming right into play and becoming a). Hager looked well below average and Littleton looks to be a nice rotational player. So it remains to be seen what the plan is but right now it’s a BIG RED FLAG on defense.
A lot of it too is, will they find they find a stout run stuffing man eating smasher middle of the DLine DT that can make the linebackers life easier, which, unless they get Hankins, we'll probably see them use an early round pick, maybe even in the first round, to find mister wide body.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Vinny B is now saying order of operations for remaining FA is: NT/OLB/ILB. Interesting that he didn't include WR in there. Guy seems pretty dialed in to the Rams front office.