2018 Rams Are Similar To The 1994 49ers - NN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
2018 Rams are similar to the 1994 49ers

All those additions for the Rams have similar approximate values to the additions the 49ers made for the 1994 season.

By Patrick Holloway@PatOHolloway Apr 8, 2018, 9:01am PDT Share Tweet Share

Bring up all the Los Angeles Rams acquisitions in the recent weeks and the first thing that comes to mind is the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles. The dubbed “dream team” was just a fleeting dream that crashed and burned when the regular season started. Football Perspective’s Chase Stuart made a different comparison: the 1994 San Francisco 49ers.

Stuart used the approximate value statistic when ranking the players and compared both the 2011 Eagles and the 1994 49ers. There isn’t much of a comparison when comparing AV. Against the Eagles, the 49ers win out. Here’s what Stuart said about the 49ers in comparison to the Rams acquisitions:

So, will the Rams really be as good in real life as they appear on paper? Los Angeles is adding four new players who had AVs of at least 12 points either last year or the year before. It’s been 23 years since a team did that, and that team was… the 1994 San Francisco 49ers. That offseason, they added CB Deion Sanders (AV of 12 in 1993), DE Richard Dent (AV of 12 in 1993), LB Ken Norton (AV of 15 in ’93), and LB Rickey Jackson (AV of 13 in ’93). The 49ers also added C Bart Oates (AV of 10 in ’93). The 49ers already had an incredible offense, and with a better defense — and a better performance against Dallas in the NFCCG — San Francisco finally won another Super Bowl.

Most of the load ups in history were from adding players with AVs of 10 or less.

On paper, when considering AV, the Rams are not the same as the 2011 Eagles, they are better. When you look at the additions of the Rams vs the ‘94 Niners, a Super Bowl may be in their future.

Unless the 49ers put a stop to all of this.

Yeah, the Niners can stop us....:LOL:

But hats off to Holloway for a surprisingly sober report, from an otherwise glue-sniffing Site. And then you get the comments...stay tuned.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are some of the entertaining comments to this article...:redcard:

No Worries...

This is a bull crap article anyway. Like the rams have anything even close to Steve Young on offense and Prime Time on D.
Come on man!!

Woah

94 Niners was a team that was constantly a threat for the Super Bowl. The Rams have had one decent season in the last decade. Young was an MVP, Goff is trying to prove he’s not a bust

It was only the Dallas Cowboys that stood between the Niners and the Super Bowl. The Niners brought in players for the specific purpose of beating the Cowboys. They brought in Norton to contain Emmitt Smith. And they brought in Deion to cover Michael Irvin.

As @mcwagner points out, the Rams were not simply one game away from the big dance this past year.
And BTW, Jared Goff is no Steve Young. In fact, in importance he’s not even a zit on Steve Young’s ass

a zit.gif

without those players, the niners were the first or second best team in the league.

without those players, the rams are not much more than a division winner

That couldn’t win a home playoff game....

Also, the Niners coaching staff was the sh*t with a bunch of well respected veterans, plus Mike Shannahan, geez.

The Rams staff is definitely up and comming, but still has a lot to prove after falling flat at the end of last season. Sitting the Rams’ starters in week 17 was a total rookie mistake.

in fairness, the LAR staff looks pretty good.

ja.jpg

"Don't you forget it, slick."

Right...

And Garappolo’s story line as backup to an all-time great actually resembles the the situation with Young. Goff..? No

6woNkn.gif

had 10 players selected to the Pro-Bowl and 4 that were 1st team All-Pro.

They were, in a word, AWESOME

Let's see:

1. Donald
  2. Suh
  3. Gurley
  4. Talib
  5. Goff
  6. Cooks
  7. Joyner
  8. Whitworth
  9. Peters
  10. Cooper
  11. Hekker
  12. Zuerlein
Oh my, whiner fan. :cool:

edit: Here are some more!(y)...

I don't think they're as good as the 94 niners

But they are attempting to do pretty much the same thing.

2011 Eagles is a more likely outcome, because winning free agency and winning actual games don’t usually go together, but that’s not to say it’s wrong for them to go all in for it before they have to pay Donald and Goff. In fact given their wider situation (including PSLs to sell) they’re absolutely right to go all in for the next year or two

I get it

And it makes sense to do it now. I just don’t think the comparison to the 94 team is good or accurate. That era of Niners teams were established and a threat in and out every year. They also had a proven franchise QB who was arguably the best in football at the time. This is very different from having a QB who had a terrible rookie year and then good sophomore year. Even if the Rams DO win everything, it isn’t a good company.

exactly right.

dent played 2 games in ‘94. had 2 sacks, for whatever that’s worth. Jackson was an old man. still decent, but no haley. Jackson had 3.5 sacks that year, which was less than BY, stub, or even Rhett hall. we were pretty good already with plummer, but Norton was a good add. the key was deion. we had e.d., but that was about it. toi cook was ok, dana hall was ok, but neither were going to be great against the cowboys.
there’s no other team in the league right now that is as stacked as that cowboys team was back then. not even close. the niners were just a couple of pieces away from that. rams aren’t even close to either team.
rams let their pass rusher go. they still haven’t replaced the linebacker. and word is they’ll move brockers to de. I like our team better at this point.

I have another reason to dislike the Rams -- their methods

A lot of the structure of the league, from salary cap to draft order to revenue sharing is designed to create parity, which is part of how Cleveland is somehow half of the 2018 draft. The more teams use the parity rules to scrape the bottom, build capital and cap space and then break the surface for a one or two year run, grab a ring (or banner), and then plunge into the depths on purpose the more lame the whole venture becomes. No one is obligated to try to be good year in and year out (like the Patriots or the olde 49ers), just like the Seahawks weren’t obligated not to push the boundaries on defensive holding/DPI. No rule against tying the referees in knots, no rule against not trying to be good long-term. But you’re taking advantage of the rules and hurting the overall product. If the only way to win becomes renting all the high priced malcontents, then you have a Macklemore-ready bandwagon proverbial rooting-for-the-uniform no-identity league. And that’s less fun to watch. I hope the Rams fall flat on their arse, bicker constantly, implode on week 4, and serve as a cautionary tale for those shortcut seeking franchises who might try and rent success. It’s good for football, the San Francisco 49ers, and probably your mom or at least her apple pie. The Rams are the bad guys. Only Jimmy G can save America

a laugh.gif

too many stat nerds playing football games on paper lol

not really

can’t discount the coaching variables in both situations. Rams have good coaches and continuity going into their "dream team" season.

(@Mojo Ram do you have a NN account?)

It’s cute to do this but no.

There is not one player on this rams team that can be in the conversation to compare with that Super Bowl team. The only parallel is that we’ve got shannahan Leading our offense. Just because a team adds free agents doesn’t make it the same. That 94 team is one of the best football teams assembled. Let the rams win a playoff game before any comparisons are made.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Niner fans are so cute :) They're actually comparing JG to Steve Young? hahaha

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Yes. Two different quarterbacks. Niner fans are very dismissive of local boy, JGoff. Strange. He needs to really shove it down their throats this year. Twice.

Also, the Niners coaching staff was the sh*t with a bunch of well respected veterans, plus Mike Shannahan, geez.

The Rams staff is definitely up and comming, but still has a lot to prove after falling flat at the end of last season. Sitting the Rams’ starters in week 17 was a total rookie mistake.

The '94 49ers did the exact same thing and lost to the Vikings in week 17. Made no difference.

A lot of the structure of the league, from salary cap to draft order to revenue sharing is designed to create parity, which is part of how Cleveland is somehow half of the 2018 draft. The more teams use the parity rules to scrape the bottom, build capital and cap space and then break the surface for a one or two year run, grab a ring (or banner), and then plunge into the depths on purpose the more lame the whole venture becomes. No one is obligated to try to be good year in and year out (like the Patriots or the olde 49ers), just like the Seahawks weren’t obligated not to push the boundaries on defensive holding/DPI. No rule against tying the referees in knots, no rule against not trying to be good long-term. But you’re taking advantage of the rules and hurting the overall product. If the only way to win becomes renting all the high priced malcontents, then you have a Macklemore-ready bandwagon proverbial rooting-for-the-uniform no-identity league. And that’s less fun to watch. I hope the Rams fall flat on their arse, bicker constantly, implode on week 4, and serve as a cautionary tale for those shortcut seeking franchises who might try and rent success. It’s good for football, the San Francisco 49ers, and probably your mom or at least her apple pie. The Rams are the bad guys. Only Jimmy G can save America

View attachment 24630

The front office that made all those moves for the '94 49ers later got busted for cheating the salary cap.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

again with comparing the rams to the shit 2011 eagles. the rams signed bonafide pro bowl type talent. the eagles just signed a heap of players, none which really stand out.

the 2015 broncos is my comparison. and that was with a broken peyton manning sprinkled in with the brock man at qb. why don't any jealous fans make that comparison? or bozo talking heads? mostly because they're braindead fuckwits.

talib made the connection with his tweet to suh. he knows the real story.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can't wait to see Rams D with their hands in Crapolol's face and him trying to get the ball out, and when he does, it's to Talib or Peters for a pick six.

I still want revenge for those 17 straight loses.

My two favorite teams: Rams and whoever plays the 48ers

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
By the way, those quotes are from comments Farr Be It found, not FBI's own words.
Yes. Although I did add some bold and the gifs with a few comments.

Next time I post one of those I think I’ll italicize my words, so as not to confuse.

As to the fans, nearly all delusional. Can’t wait for the season.

Psycho_X

Legend

Think this is one of the dumbest comments I've read in a while for so many reasons. I can't wait for our two games against the Whiners.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

They've already got him on par with Brady's prime years. They talk Hall of Fame as if its a done deal. The dude has what, 8 total NFL starts? Delusional fan base. Its easy to see they worry about the Rams though. All that talk is now. I have a feeling the tune changes when the season starts.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
without those players, the niners were the first or second best team in the league.

without those players, the rams are not much more than a division winner

Does this whiner forget the 6-10 crapola Niner team in 1980 that won their first Superbowl the next year? Might I remind him of the Rams 1998 4-12 that went 13-3 and won our first Superbowl in '99.

What is with the thinking that teams gradually take a step up each year? It almost never plays out that way. Every year is a clean slate. Now, there are usually signs that a team is building something special, and they just need a couple key players.

That is what made the '99 Rams so special. (Although many of us probably quietly saw the pieces coming together with the '99 moves. Picking up an innovative offensive coordinator in Martz...Trade for a quarterback upgrade in Warner...er..I mean Trent Green:sneaky:...picking up a solid offensive lineman in Timmerman...drafting another good receiving target in Holt, and a great corner in Bly...trading for a dynamic running back in Faulk) Somehow, the media
didn't see it coming. So the Rams obediently improved by a couple games to 8-8 that year, right? No. They blew the doors off the NFL and grabbed the Lombardi like they meant it.

No, niner fans. You can keep hoping this Rams move is not a threat, but they are coming for you. Ain't nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Article writer: "the Rams additions are not the same as the 2011 eagles . Each addition is statistically better . The Rams are better"

Niners nation readers: "they're the 2011 eagles all over again"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still want revenge for those 17 straight loses.

Indeed. Those were some dark days man, the 90s ugh. At least in the 80s we had hope, and made the damn playoffs. 90s were like the bubonic plague for us. Just horrible.

And I'll always hate the whiners for that, along with the team leadership who bumbled their way through those years.