2017 Rams Roster Preview: Center

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
2017 Rams Roster Preview: C Austin Blythe

[www.turfshowtimes.com]

Eric Nagel

Center hasn’t exactly been a position of strength for the Los Angeles Rams in recent history. The Rams released Demetrius Rhaney on June 20th and Tim Barnes is history. With John Sullivan likely entrenched as the starter, the teams needs to find a capable backup.

That’s where Austin Blythe hopes to factor in.

Roster Battle

It’s not the sexiest battle by any means, but Blythe and UDFA Jake Eldrenkamp are likely looking at a single spot. It’s rare when a team holds on to three centers unless they can pull double duty as a guard.

Blythe may have the slight edge as he has game experience with the Indianapolis Colts (8 games, 1 start), but both seem to be impressing so far:

Expectations

Coming out of Iowa, Blythe was considered a solid and dependable four-year starter who lacked physicality but made up with it using solid technique and gamesmanship.

Blythe was the odd man out last year after the Colts changed their GM. Regime changes, as we all know, typically make short work of the bottom half of the roster. He has experience at both center and right guard, which could factor in with the new regime’s carousel of offensive line changes.

Blythe has some in-game experience, so it seems logical that he would have the edge against Eldrenkamp, the rookie.

Chances of Making Final Roster (6/10)

Blythe has some game experience and versatility giving him the edge over Eldrenkamp, at least initially. With that said, McVay and his staff picked the UDFA for a reason, and he’s impressed, according to reports.

It’s not a sure bet, but it’s not exactly a bad one either.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
2017 Rams Roster Preview: OL Jake Eldrenkamp

[www.turfshowtimes.com]

Elijah Kim

Jake Eldrenkamp is willing to put himself in any position to make the Los Angeles Rams roster. Literally.

The two-year starter at Washington praised for his fundamentals will now take his talents to a new position to compete for a roster spot and potential starting spot. Eldrenkamp was awarded Pac-12 Scholar Athlete of the Year along with First-Team All Pac-12 honors.

With the Rams not drafting a lineman despite some pretty big needs across the line, the Rams got busy on the phone lines hoping to nab some prospects that can compete for a roster spot. Eldrenkamp looks to bring his technique, experience and flexibility to the Rams after moving to center to give him the best chance at success.

Roster Battle

Eldrenkamp could make the battle for center and the team interesting. With the Rams moving on from Tim Barnes but signing veteran John Sullivan, the team may have an eye for the future with Eldrenkamp. He has experience at playing guard and tackle in college but now is working diligently to put his mental and physical tools to best use as a center.

The real key is the release of former backup Demetrius Rhaney and the suggestion it was tied to the offseason performances of Eldrenkamp and Austin Blythe, a mid-May addition:

The Rams are looking to improve their porous offensive line and if Eldrenkamp impresses, he can make the team. The past two seasons have yielded UDFA’s for the Rams in Darrell Williams and Pace Murphy. Maybe this year will bring the same.

Expectations

Eldrenkamp was a solid draft candidate. Here’s the key pull from a scouting report over at NFL.com:

An athletic zone-scheme fit at guard or potentially center if he proves he can snap it. Eldrenkamp is technically sound in both the running and passing games and he's got desired body control and balance that zone teams like. The biggest question for him will be whether or not he can carry more mass, but the tape looks like that of a backup or possibly eventual starter if he can find the right scheme fit.

With Eldrenkamp making a positive impact by willing to move positions and snapping the ball “naturally”, look for Eldrenkamp to battle with other players for the Center/Guard spots:

Chances of Making Roster (5/10)

Due to the track record of OLs making the Rams roster who seem to never be able to put together a decent offensive line, Eldrenkamp has a chance. It bodes really well that new OL coach Aaron Kromer has hinted that Eldrenkamp can really compete for the spot and especially settle in as a backup center and guard.

Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann may have to be careful about their spots as the new Rams era has begun.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Eldrenkamp & Blythe really show well, Cody Wichmann could be jeopardy, however, IMO, I am rooting for Eldrenkamp I like his size potential and coming from a bad offensive line plus limitations physically, I'm not on the Austin Blythe bandwagon and the game experience is not overwhelming with just one start.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Blythe may have the slight edge as he has game experience with the Indianapolis Colts (8 games, 1 start), but both seem to be impressing so far:

The real key is the release of former backup Demetrius Rhaney and the suggestion it was tied to the offseason performances of Eldrenkamp and Austin Blythe, a mid-May addition:
Music to my ears.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My guess, at this point, is that Blythe will get the Back-up Center Job, and Eldrenkamp will be Back-up LOG behind Saffold. JMHO!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sorry @DaveFan'51 ...I think only one makes the team....and I'm kinda riding with Eldrenkamp....Blythe played with a terrible offensive line...and couldn't stick.

I was looking at the 53....and I wonder will Wichman & Donnall be given the chance to play backup center? I don't think going into a season with only Sullivan & Blythe or Eldrenkamp as backup is wise...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm kinda leaning towards Eldrenkamp, myself.

But I'm gonna trust Kromer on this all the way. He's earned it.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

But I'm gonna trust Kromer on this all the way. He's earned it.

I trust Kromer too, but that is why I big on Eldrenkamp. Picking up Blythe a good move because he has some experience, albeit just one game. I am looking forward to the battle because I believe the one that is released will end up on the practice squad.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry @DaveFan'51 .

I was looking at the 53....and I wonder will Wichman & Donnall be given the chance to play backup center? I don't think going into a season with only Sullivan & Blythe or Eldrenkamp as backup is wise...

Many people keep posting about this and McVay stated that they were going to ask some of the offensive linemen to be more versatile, but I don't think so. Donnal can already play every position with the exception of center and Cody Wichmann might be in trouble here because if Eldrenkamp proves he can play guard too and Blythe shines, it could be Wichmann the player that is released and then @DaveFan'51 would have to receive some credit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
It's possible they keep Eldrenkamp and Blythe both if they think they can get a backup G on the PS. Eldrenkamp as we know can play both Guard and Center which Kromer and McVay, they preach versatility on the line and say they'll keep the best group and make the positions work.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This Kromer hire might have been a genius move. I liked the hire from the jump, but I now believe that I underestimated him, at that.

Our C position situation is an excellent example. Just 5 months ago we were looking at a gaping hole after the Barnes release. But look at it now.

I mean, sounds like it's possible that our C position just might have been significantly upgraded via FA without using a single draft pick.

Sullivan
Eldrenkamp
Blythe

Saving the scarce picks for other crying needs. That's some serious bang for the buck, gentlemen.

ALMOST like this staff had a plan, huh? Lol

I'm really LOVING this new staff!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I mean, sounds like it's possible that our C position just might have been significantly upgraded via FA without using a single draft pick.

Sullivan
Eldrenkamp
Blythe

Saving the scarce picks for other crying needs. That's some serious bang for the buck, gentlemen.

ALMOST like this staff had a plan, huh? Lol

I'm really LOVING this new staff!

One other caveat as others like @BonifayRam have posted about the injury history of Sullivan. Now I believe he's past that been a couple years since the back issue and he held up in 8 games with the Redskins last season, but adding Blythe ensures that if something happens during preseason at the very minimum Blythe has had some seasoning in the NFL, but again I feel good about Sully and whoever Kromer and the rest of the staff move forward with come September Morn.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Eldrenkamp & Blythe really show well, Cody Wichmann could be jeopardy, however, IMO, I am rooting for Eldrenkamp I like his size potential and coming from a bad offensive line plus limitations physically, I'm not on the Austin Blythe bandwagon and the game experience is not overwhelming with just one start.
Cody Wichmann may have more competition this season than in the past two but I think he is safe. CW earn a starting post in the NFL his first 2 seasons dealing with a nagging high ankle sprain both seasons. I am sure that Kromer likes his size 6-5 325 pounds. CW is an economy priced, experienced (18 NFL starts) young(25) large interior OL'er that must stay healthy. CW has already shown he can play with great pain when injured, but when forced to play like last season his play was poor. Neither Austin nor Jake can match CW's starting experience at this time. I don't think Jake can come close in delivering the performance @ either OG posts that CW can. Same can be said about Austin.

Austin & Jake's ticket into this 53 Rams player roster must start @ OC & then both show versatility into the future @ both OG"s. Its the opposite for CW,where UDFA OG Alex Kozan would offer up some soft competition directed @ CW than either of those OC prospects. Both CW & AK's game are very similar in style but CW is far better.
Sorry @DaveFan'51 ...I think only one makes the team....and I'm kinda riding with Eldrenkamp....Blythe played with a terrible offensive line...and couldn't stick.
....and I wonder will Wichman & Donnall be given the chance to play backup center? I don't think going into a season with only Sullivan & Blythe or Eldrenkamp as backup is wise...
From my limited knowledge both could earn Ram paychecks. Either Jake or Austin could earn the back up center position & the other go to the Practice Squad. So both might stick around after the regular season begins. We should see Cody Wichmann getting some turns @ center in TC. Something that he has tried in college & his rookie TC but he remained playing @ both OG & OT. Rams best 6th OL'er prospect is Andrew Donnal his versatility to play 4 OL positions his first 2 NFL seasons. He has been active for 21 NFL games started 6 & finished another 5. I just do not see AD being involved @ OC in TC at this time.
I am too here I like his size & from what I have read up on him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One other caveat as others like @BonifayRam have posted about the injury history of Sullivan. Now I believe he's past that been a couple years since the back issue and he held up in 8 games with the Redskins last season, but adding Blythe ensures that if something happens during preseason at the very minimum Blythe has had some seasoning in the NFL, but again I feel good about Sully and whoever Kromer and the rest of the staff move forward with come September Morn.
As you are well aware of I have moved on from my harsh opinion of Sully trending to a more positive position as of late. Every day removed from his previous back issues is a plus. When TC opens & pads are pulled on its on time for Sully damage back. JS passed the big test fighting his way back on an NFL roster after being out of the NFL. Returning to the games past the age 30 was big. Now JS is fighting not to earn a relief role but to earn a starting position. It's an uphill climb. I am :coach:all in for him to win!:yess:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
where UDFA OG Alex Kozan would offer up some soft competition directed @ CW than either of those OC prospects. Both CW & AK's game are very similar in style but CW is far better.

I'm done with Auburn players for now and that includes Blake Countless.

Ram65

Legend
Eldrenkamp is a smart guy that should help to make the change to OC.

http://pac-12.com/article/2016/11/30/washington’s-eldrenkamp-named-football-scholar-athlete-year
Washington’s Eldrenkamp Named Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year

SAN FRANCISCO -
WASHINGTON offensive lineman Jake Eldrenkamp has been named the 2016 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year, announced the Pac-12 Conference today. The award, which is presented in each of the 23 sports the Pac-12 sponsors, was established to honor collegiate student-athletes that are standouts both academically and in their sports discipline....................

Ram65

Legend
Austin Blythe was an Iowa state champ high school wrestler. That could be a could match at OC. Undersized for NFL center but was drafted. It's a battle but, I hope Sullivan stays healthy.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/austin-blythe?id=2555180
OVERVIEW

In the sports world, Iowa is primarily known for two things: producing NFL offensive linemen and high-level wrestling. Blythe, a Williamsburg, Iowa native, is a perfect example of how those things go hand-in-hand. He was a two-time all-state pick in football (123 career tackles, 40 for loss, 14 sacks) and three straight heavyweight wresting titles (setting a state record with 143 pins) in a state that takes the sport very seriously. He put those skills to use in his redshirt freshman season, starting nine games at right guard but missing two due to injury. Blythe didn’t miss any more games during his three final years with the Hawkeyes, starting all 40 games at center. He gained recognition for his play each year, garnering consensus honorable mention All-Big Ten honors as a sophomore and second team All-Big Ten accolades from league coaches in 2014 and 2015. Blythe was even named as a Rimington Trophy finalist this season.

PRO DAY RESULTS
40-yard dash: 5.37 seconds
Vertical: 31 inches
Broad jump: 8 feet, 3 inches
Short shuttle: 4.5 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.53 seconds
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Four-year starter featuring durability and leadership qualities. Has played center and both guard spots which gives him a mental headstart. Controlled glider up to inside linebackers and plays with plus body control. Patient, confident run blocker who consistently lands his blocks in the center of his targets. Keeps his feet grinding after contact to generate movement and prolonged engagement as a blocker. Sticks to opponents like a shadow and is always bodied up near his man. Excellent outside zone blocker. Uses feet and upper body strength to run gap-shooters up the field past the quarterback. The Hawkeyes love pulling him and using as lead blocker in space. Technician able to snap and step quickly on reach blocks. Sinks hips and can anchor up against bull rushers. Good functional strength for his size. Played in over 96 percent of team’s offensive snaps over last three years.
WEAKNESSES
Undersized by every standard that NFL teams use for centers. Lack of length and mass is a legitimate concern moving forward. Has played both guard spots and center, but size likely limits him to center only in the league. Teams may view him as fit for zone specific teams which could limit his draft stock. Catches pass rushers rather than punching. Will have to adjust to defensive tackles using length to disrupt his task. Tape shows potential mental mistakes in protection against blitzes.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 6 or 7
NFL COMPARISON
Matt Paradis
BOTTOM LINE
Played with consistency throughout his stint as a four-year starter at Iowa and his 2015 tape is solid from start to finish. While his lack of physical traits could hurt where he is taken in the draft, his functional strength, technical savvy, athleticism and body control should not be ignored as he has all the makings of an eventual NFL starter.

Played OG #63 (I think) in his start against the jags in London. Got be on stunt first play.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j66Vg__hElk

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Don't be cuz Blake Countess is a real good Nickel Back reserve may end up being our Nickel starter before the yr ends just like last season.

I trust your judgment, I've seen nothing from him that makes me jump to that conclusion.
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg