2017 Rams Draft: After 3 Seasons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2. TE Gerald Everett
3. WR Cooper Kupp
3. S John Johnson
4. WR Josh Reynolds
4. OLB Samson Ebukam
6. DL Tanzel Smart
6. FB Sam Rogers
7. LB Ejuan Price

Well now that 3 full seasons are here for us to grade the 2017 draft I figured I'd throw this up, and rather than hand out grades I've grouped these guys in rough categories (Elite, Above Average, JAG, Not Good Enough).

Gerald Everett has been disappointing for me personally. Every year we think this is his year, and every season he doesn't live up to his talent level and expectations. It's been a common them around here for fans to associate his lack of production with our coaching not utilizing his ability, however I believe McVay is very good at featuring guys in the passing game when they're ready. McVay has a grasp of the TE position far beyond most coordinators IMO and the lack of production to date has been a mix of Everett not being ready along with unfortunately timed injury. Looking forward he has every opportunity to become a plus starter for us, and I would think there's a good chance of that happening next season, but not gonna give it to him until I see it on the field consistently.

Cooper Kupp has grown into an elite receiver in this league. He gets open quickly, can play inside and outside the hashes, has exemplary hands, and greater size/strength than people realize. Still feel like not having him last year in the playoffs ended our championship aspirations just as much as Belichick's surprising defensive adjustments. Still believe we would have won our second Super Bowl had Kupp been on the field for us. Going forward he should have another elite season particularly if the Rams improve their run game as expected. And the Rams will make room for him cap space-wise and get him locked up.

John Johnson seemed like he was on the cusp of being an elite player in 2018, and I had every belief he'd be one right now and still believe that were it not for his injury. So next season is a big one for him where he will be playing for his next contract and hopefully it'll be with the Rams, however whether they make room for him is going to factor in with Rapp's play not to mention Ramsey and whether they can lock him up. IMO at the very least and due to the cost of franchising a safety JJ will be kept around for 2 more seasons even if one of them is under the tag.

Samson Ebukam is another guy who's been on the cusp for a while and has flashed but not made that transition to consistent play. His lateral speed aside, he has a lot of things I like in my linebackers from physicality to motor and he does have the ability to be a plus starter still down the road. If the Rams transition to a 4-3 he might find his niche as a SAM in fact due to these things. But either way he's got a chance to stick around as a core player for us even if it's as a depth and teams type not to mention he's a great person and locker room type so I would expect the Rams to find a way to lock him up before next season particularly if they think he is in for a big season.

Tanzel Smart I am simply not a fan of. I cannot count how many times I've seen him washed out vs the run or stoned in his rush while spelling different positions on the line, and I don't see that changing even if they transition to a 4-3. Based on pure numbers that might allow him to stick around as depth for another season, but outside of that I project him to not make this roster for 2020. IMO he is a subpar player.

Rogers & Price couldn't stick of course. And Rogers' drafting in particular (i.e. McVay wanting a FB in this offense) is something that we might see the Rams try again in the form of one of the physical backs in this draft who have some hands.

In summary what I believe makes the 2017 draft special is the fact that the Rams found a bonafide elite player in Kupp along with a plus starter in Johnson in a draft that didn't have a first round pick. And to go further there are still 3 players in that draft (Everett, JRey and Ebukam) who might still establish themselves as something more.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Pretty much agree as long as Jag = average, although I still see Everett & Ebukam having an ability to rise to the next level. I think Reynolds will have a decent career as a #3, 4 or 5WR in coming years, depending on what kind of players surround him, but we've probably seen his max potential.
jmo.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Kupp, Johnson and Ebukam became starters and are still on the team, so I consider them good picks, Kupp especially good. Reynolds is forced to play behind Cooks and Woods, two players acquired in trades, but has come up big when asked to, like when Kupp went out last season, so good pick. Everett too, plays behind Higbee who was drafted a year earlier, has contributed when needed, good pick. Smart is still on the roster as a role player, good return for a 6th round pick, try finding many of those on an active roster, good pick. Rogers and Price hung around for a year or so then were gone, so what?

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I'll always remember Tanzel Smart's play against the University of Tennessee when he was at Tulane. He completely dominated Tennessee's OL and they could not keep him out of their backfield. So, I was delighted to see the Rams pick him up in the 6th round of the draft. For whatever reason, he has not progressed like I thought he would.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gerald Everett is better than Ebukam. Probably Reynolds too. I'd argue you need a tier between elite and above average for JJ, then Everett would slide into the above average category

TexasRam

Legend
Pretty solid draft considering no first rounder.

4-5 starter material.

2018 draft - the jury is still out. But it has potential to be a flop.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking forward he (Everett) has every opportunity to become a plus starter for us, and I would think there's a good chance of that happening next season

I'm skeptical. He might become a consistent receiver, but the Rams need their TE to be a good blocker, and he isn't. I think he's more valuable as trade bait, especially since he'll be a free agent after this season - and the Rams have cap issues. If he turns the corner, he will be too expensive for the Rams, especially since they have another quality TE. Either trading him for a young player who fills a bigger hole for the Rams, or for picks (or both) makes a lot of sense. That's assuming that there is a decent offer, of course. Might not happen - but he looks promising enough as a receiver that he makes sense for some teams.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Excellent draft! Even more so considering that thhe Rams had no 1st round pick. If you trade away your 1st roubders, you need to be able to somehow find guys like Kupp and JJ in the coming rounds. The front office did so in 2017 and deserves full marks. Hopefully our more recent drafts proceed as fruitful. I am not overly optimistic but we shall see.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
2. TE Gerald Everett
3. WR Cooper Kupp
3. S John Johnson
4. WR Josh Reynolds
4. OLB Samson Ebukam
6. DL Tanzel Smart
6. FB Sam Rogers
7. LB Ejuan Price

Well now that 3 full seasons are here for us to grade the 2017 draft I figured I'd throw this up, and rather than hand out grades I've grouped these guys in rough categories (Elite, Above Average, JAG, Not Good Enough).

Gerald Everett has been disappointing for me personally. Every year we think this is his year, and every season he doesn't live up to his talent level and expectations. It's been a common them around here for fans to associate his lack of production with our coaching not utilizing his ability, however I believe McVay is very good at featuring guys in the passing game when they're ready. McVay has a grasp of the TE position far beyond most coordinators IMO and the lack of production to date has been a mix of Everett not being ready along with unfortunately timed injury. Looking forward he has every opportunity to become a plus starter for us, and I would think there's a good chance of that happening next season, but not gonna give it to him until I see it on the field consistently.

Cooper Kupp has grown into an elite receiver in this league. He gets open quickly, can play inside and outside the hashes, has exemplary hands, and greater size/strength than people realize. Still feel like not having him last year in the playoffs ended our championship aspirations just as much as Belichick's surprising defensive adjustments. Still believe we would have won our second Super Bowl had Kupp been on the field for us. Going forward he should have another elite season particularly if the Rams improve their run game as expected. And the Rams will make room for him cap space-wise and get him locked up.

John Johnson seemed like he was on the cusp of being an elite player in 2018, and I had every belief he'd be one right now and still believe that were it not for his injury. So next season is a big one for him where he will be playing for his next contract and hopefully it'll be with the Rams, however whether they make room for him is going to factor in with Rapp's play not to mention Ramsey and whether they can lock him up. IMO at the very least and due to the cost of franchising a safety JJ will be kept around for 2 more seasons even if one of them is under the tag.

Samson Ebukam is another guy who's been on the cusp for a while and has flashed but not made that transition to consistent play. His lateral speed aside, he has a lot of things I like in my linebackers from physicality to motor and he does have the ability to be a plus starter still down the road. If the Rams transition to a 4-3 he might find his niche as a SAM in fact due to these things. But either way he's got a chance to stick around as a core player for us even if it's as a depth and teams type not to mention he's a great person and locker room type so I would expect the Rams to find a way to lock him up before next season particularly if they think he is in for a big season.

Tanzel Smart I am simply not a fan of. I cannot count how many times I've seen him washed out vs the run or stoned in his rush while spelling different positions on the line, and I don't see that changing even if they transition to a 4-3. Based on pure numbers that might allow him to stick around as depth for another season, but outside of that I project him to not make this roster for 2020. IMO he is a subpar player.

Rogers & Price couldn't stick of course. And Rogers' drafting in particular (i.e. McVay wanting a FB in this offense) is something that we might see the Rams try again in the form of one of the physical backs in this draft who have some hands.

In summary what I believe makes the 2017 draft special is the fact that the Rams found a bonafide elite player in Kupp along with a plus starter in Johnson in a draft that didn't have a first round pick. And to go further there are still 3 players in that draft (Everett, JRey and Ebukam) who might still establish themselves as something more.

I disagree about Everett.

I think he's as good or better than Higbee as a route runner and pass catcher and he's faster and runs just as angry. The problem was as the Patriots pointed out, that he wasn't a strong enough blocker to leave in on run plays. Thus, he was a predictor of the type of play, which if the defense keys on it, puts the offense at a huge disadvantage.

Higbee is nearly as good a pass catcher and route runner, but also is a stone cold killer as a blocker and one of the best blocking TEs in the league.

I really hope we retain Everett and take a page from the Pats book when they ran two TEs...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think he's as good or better than Higbee as a route runner and pass catcher and he's faster and runs just as angry.

As you said, Higbee checks all the boxes and far superior blocker... but hot damn I love Everett as a pass catcher.

Normally with these guys that haven’t quite exploded yet, I lose patience by now... recognizing there is a reason they haven’t exploded.

But for me Everett is different. He’s “got something“. It’s right there on tape. If he’s a sleeper, I am still in love with him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Overall I can't complain. I wanted Kupp in round 1. So Snead outdid me there. I think Reynolds could be very good if he played regularly.

JJ was a steal

Everett was a reach and a forced pick for perceived need. Teams find more productive Tight Ends in later rounds, but Les falls in love with athleticism and potential.

I like Ebukam for a later round pick.