2017 Rams compared to 2003 Rams + 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
From another board

This game, and year, reminded me of the 2003 team in some ways. This Rams team will go to the next step unlike that falling apart 2003 team...Goff for sure will take another big step, and the rest should follow. The 2003 defense was not so solid like Wade's can be. I trust Goff much more than Bulger, though I might like Bulger's tight window throws more.

I don't think the 2017 Rams were so battle tested like the Falcons (were with their first place schedule)---the 2003 team was very similar. The 2017 teams built a lot of its confidence on offense against bad teams (Colts, Texans, Giants, 1st Cards game). And yes, we beat good teams, too....but we never had very good YPA against the man to man defenses with confident corners (Vikings, Seattle, Atlanta,

Goff and BUlger both had great years in those respective years, but that is mostly because everyone around them made it great for them. Bulger didn't win games by himself, and neither did Goff. The 2003 team beat very few good teams, and they had pretty easy schedule (No Eagles, Giants et al). By the way, this doesn't take away from the fact that if we replay that Atlanta game, we may win it with Brockers and no fumbles.

On the goal line pass to Gurley right before the half....I knew that play was coming--100%. We relied on teams to be so distracted by other things that McVay thinks Gurley will get flairs and screens and get a TD----but that wasn't going to happen gainst Atltana in a playoff game---nor the Vikings nor the Eagles etc....so, we needed someone to step up and dominate, and no one could; until the last 5 minutes of the game only 3 guys even caught balls. We need a one physically dominant WR who beats coverage and gets the dang ball---like the old Dez Bryant. Woods did ball though, didn't he!. But, Woods ain't that type of WR.

If you get rid of the Texans, Colts, Cards In London and Giants games the stats are totally different. 2003 was very similar. We beat a lot of teams that were down, and put up big stats.

We can go to the super bowl next year, but still, when your WRs can't beat man coverage you aint' gooing far. It seems wierd that they would resign Sammy for more than $8-9 mill....I mean 39 catches....why not sign a Torrey Smith type who can just fly down the field, but who isn't very good at routes (and thus, you can get for cheap--- $4-5 million).

Our TEs will produce next year. I really don't see Higs being the starter, and getting so many snaps.

Someone on the board said Trufant was ok, well he was in the probowl in 2015....we need a cover guy like that, and then. We will be a different team.

I won't be surprised if we go 10-6 or 11-5 at best next year because of our schedule, but I know Goff, Woods, Gurley and Kupp will come through, but will they do with the fading Whit? I think the defense will get better when we get a 'real' nose tackle, one fast cover corner (remember Jeremetrius Butler---he wasn't a complete corner, but he could play man on man at a high level!).