2017 NFL Draft: Rounds 4-7

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
OK. The next couple days are always fun. Snead is pretty good at UDFA's.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Some UDFA names to watch out for:
Jeremy Cutrer CB MTSU
Marcus Sayles CB West Georgia
Xavier Coleman CB Portland State
David Jones S Richmond
Pat Ricard DE Maine
Eli Ankou DT UCLA
JoJo Mathis LB Washington

KD Cannon WR Baylor
Cam Keizer C Portland State
Jon Toth C Kentucky
Tyler Orlosky C West Virginia
Jordan Simmons T/G USC
I think there's a lot better out there than most of this^^! JMHO " Nothing personal!!"

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Call TOTH Call TOTH Call TOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
LOL, a QB is Mr. Irrelevant this year. Talk about humbling. Chad Kelly apparently has maturity issues too, what a whack to the ego. Literally picked last.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Damn my boy Storm Norton signed with the Lions, he's a local.

lockdnram21

Legend
I know you've always disliked Spruce on the roster, but this makes no sense unless it has been determined that he won't be healthy. Kupp is essentially Spruce 2.0: measureables, route-running, hands, brains. Spruce is as cheap as it gets in his second year on a UDFA contract and has a year of camp and some club experience. Why would the Rams burn a third round pick and pay that round money to replace Spruce with a guy so similar to him? If Kupp is better than Spruce, the improvement isn't worth the price. The logical conclusion is that The Rams have a WR corp profile in mind and both Spruce and Kupp will be part of it.
Spruce didnt play a snap last year and he's not a Mcvay guy this has nothing to do with me not likeing spruce... There's 5 receivers ahead of him and serves no purpose on special teams

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here is my "Quick List" of UDFA to watch for:
* OL- Collin Buchanan
* OT- Avante Collins
* OG- Damien Mama
* OC- Jon Toth
* WR- Ismael Zamora
* WR Jamari Staples

* DT - Jarron Jones
* DE - Brian Cox Jr.
* OLB - Carroll Phillips
* OLB - Devonte Fields
* CB - Channing Stribling
* CB - J.R. Nelson
* SS - Jadar Johnson
* SS - Lorenzo Jerome

We will see how this^ works out! I picked these from the Lists provided by NFL.com!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Excited to play football on every single rep.

If you are looking for a theme for this draft - there it is.

That's not a bad theme.

Shoutout to Mike Mayock...

hmmmmnot-bad-52650-14219.jpg

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'll start with the measurables:
Cooper Kupp:
10 yard split - 1.57s
Short Shuttle - 4.08s
Three Cone Drill - 6.75s
40 time - 4.62s

Nelson Spruce:
10 yard split - 1.63s
Short Shuttle - 4.20s
Three Cone Drill - 7.09s
40 time - 4.69s

Basically, Kupp's top-end speed isn't great, but he has great acceleration, quickness, and change of direction ability. On the other hand, Spruce's top-end speed is also lacking, but his acceleration, quickness, and change of direction ability range from average to bad.

That all shows up on his game tape. Spruce lacks physical talent. He creates separation through savvy and physicality. It works for him. He will finish in traffic. He makes tough catches. But he tends to body the ball more and doesn't attack it that well in the air. Spruce plays every down like it could be his last. That's something to be commended. Spruce is a slot WR who will have to win working the middle. He won't separate outside and won't win in the air well enough for teams to accept that.

Kupp is a different type of player. He lacks top-end speed, but as I stated, he has acceleration, quickness, and change of direction ability. He has the athleticism to separate consistently. He combines that athleticism with skill and savvy that is simply beyond what Spruce offers. In addition to that, he attacks the ball better than Spruce does, catches the ball in traffic better than Spruce does, and he runs after the catch better than Spruce does. Spruce is essentially Kupp if you strip away the things that make him special.

Kupp is only the third guy I can say this about, the others being Suh and our own Aaron Donald: The more I watch video of Kupp, the BETTER the looks.

Normally, I watch video to break down a player into components and see what I think will translate to the pro level and where he as a rookie will have to improve just to make it in this league. We are certainly familiar with 1st and 2nd round players not working out, so this applies to everyone, drafted and undrafted. Not so with Kupp. The more video I watch, the more boxes he checks.

Can he run all the routes? Check.
Can he separate press and soft coverage? Check.
Can he run after the catch? Check.
Can he make the kind of catch on each play that will make it hardest for the defender to make a play? Check.
Can he take the top off of a defense? Check.

Kupp is one of the FEW WRs I watched that I'm really surprised New England didn't go after because he would be PERFECT in a Erhardt Perkins offense because he has that mentality.

Why teams underrated him the way they did, I dunno (well, I got an inkling, but I don't wanna start anything...) Honestly, I'm kinda glad in a backwards kinda way because I think we got the BEST WR in this draft after rewatching video (on my life, I'd take Kupp over Mike Williams from Clemson every day of the week and THREE times on Sunday...)

Honestly, the ONLY thing he's not likely to be or do is a Calvin Johnson type who will win tons of jump balls.

Beyond that, I think Kupp is gonna be a freakin' STAR.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Sam Rogers? Interesting pick. Tells me they want to run the ball. Special teams demon. Versatile FB.

Wonder what this means for Harkey? Full-time TE or getting cut?

I think it means that McVay understands that you use TEs to play TE and use actual FBs to play fullback.

Gurley has to have a YUGE smile on his face right about now...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Looks like our blue collar get er' done guy.

He's a PERFECT guy for McVay in that he runs VERY good routes, has soft hands (you can see from the number of one hand passes from his bad QB), picks up the blitz well AND makes very good technical blocks both in line AND down field.

There are few more frustrating things than a guy getting downfield and in position to lay a critical block and being lost...not sealing off and thus letting the defender make a play.

I LOVE that they used him everywhere, too, so he as a FB played out wide as well as in slot. He functioned like a hybrid FB/TE, but it's clear that he's got the ability to be that full time FB that if you discount him, he'll run past a guy and run a sick seam route and burn you for 20+ in a heartbeat.

Other than Kupp, I think this kid is my favorite pick... and I totally love our pick at TE.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp is only the third guy I can say this about, the others being Suh and our own Aaron Donald: The more I watch video of Kupp, the BETTER the looks.

Normally, I watch video to break down a player into components and see what I think will translate to the pro level and where he as a rookie will have to improve just to make it in this league. We are certainly familiar with 1st and 2nd round players not working out, so this applies to everyone, drafted and undrafted. Not so with Kupp. The more video I watch, the more boxes he checks.

Can he run all the routes? Check.
Can he separate press and soft coverage? Check.
Can he run after the catch? Check.
Can he make the kind of catch on each play that will make it hardest for the defender to make a play? Check.
Can he take the top off of a defense? Check.

Kupp is one of the FEW WRs I watched that I'm really surprised New England didn't go after because he would be PERFECT in a Erhardt Perkins offense because he has that mentality.

Why teams underrated him the way they did, I dunno (well, I got an inkling, but I don't wanna start anything...) Honestly, I'm kinda glad in a backwards kinda way because I think we got the BEST WR in this draft after rewatching video (on my life, I'd take Kupp over Mike Williams from Clemson every day of the week and THREE times on Sunday...)

Honestly, the ONLY thing he's not likely to be or do is a Calvin Johnson type who will win tons of jump balls.

Beyond that, I think Kupp is gonna be a freakin' STAR.

I knew I'd take heat for it, but the only guy I'd have taken over him is Corey Davis. But Kupp was right there with him. I really think he's a special player. The traits that make Antonio Brown a special WR exist in Cooper Kupp's game. That's what always stood out to me. Brown was a 5'10" WR with a 4.57 40 and poor jump numbers. Yet, the guy is arguably the best WR in football. How? It is obvious when you watch him. He cuts on a dime, accelerates incredibly well, and has an understanding of his position that few guys do. He has the sort of understanding of how to play WR that made guys like Ike Bruce and Marvin Harrison elite.

Brown doesn't just know what he has to do. He knows what every other players on the field has to do. That includes the defender. He is able to accurately anticipate how the defender is going to react to what he does from down to down. It allows him to always keep the defender guessing. When the defender is guessing, he takes a split second longer to react. He begins to doubt what he's seeing and plays it safe. That gives Brown enough separation to almost always be "open."

I see that same skill in Kupp's game. He knows every trick in the book. He can execute every trick in the book. And he knows exactly how to conceal what he's doing until the last possible second to keep the defender guessing. He constantly throws different techniques out to keep the defender from being able to anticipate what he'll do next. He's just on a different level in terms of skill and intelligence.

I was also surprised that New England didn't grab him, but they couldn't (barring a trade up). They traded their first for Brandin Cooks. They didn't pick until 14 spots after we took Kupp. I think there's a real chance that they would have taken him had they not traded their second round pick.

Listen, I could be dead wrong here. I've been wrong many times before, and I'll be wrong many times in the future, but I see Cooper Kupp as a guy who just won't stay covered in the NFL. Whether he plays a Wes Welker slot role or outside, he's going to be constantly open. He's the type of kid that you feel comfortable throwing as many options as possible into the routes he runs because you know he's going to be where he's supposed to be. The more flexibility you give a guy like him, the better he'll be able to create for you.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Price may have some Elvis Dumervil to him. Rams have had some success with those productive undersized Pitt guys.

Love what we did in the draft. Probably on the look out for some tackles and competition for the 5th CB spot in UDFA

Funny you mentioned Dumervil. My good friend who watches tons of film and rates players (I mostly took the year off this year...which kinda stunk because there were some amazing players in this draft) had NINE DEs rated as 4th rounders or better and EJuan Price was one of them. When he saw our pick, he was SHOCKED Price hadn't been taken, yet, and was more than a little jealous. We have several potential "steal of the draft" contenders.

Man, the deeper I get into this draft, the more I feel we're gonna look back on this draft in 3-4 years and see most if not all these guys still on the roster.

Seriously, top to bottom, this draft may have been a home run with respect to getting both stars (Kupp, Everett and maybe John Johnson) and solid contributors all the way through.

Honestly, when your 6th round FB is someone to get excited about, normally you've had a BAD draft. On the contrary, in our case, it's indicative that we very well may have hit on most if not all of these picks!

I'm excited, Ram brothers! Super Excited!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Mackeyser

Seems like we're both seeing it the same way this year. That must mean good things for the Rams. I'm pumped. Too bad we have to wait another 4.5 months for football.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
@Mackeyser

Seems like we're both seeing it the same way this year. That must mean good things for the Rams. I'm pumped. Too bad we have to wait another 4.5 months for football.

Inorite?

Every single move projects to me to be not just better than what Fisher would do, but to significant success.

I'm struggling not to fully geek out and make squeaking noises because everything from the off-season to this draft has been just...outstanding.

I'm almost lost with my feelings considering where I was last year at this time...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
This years draft set the record for most trades.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Convinced he was a Sean McVay pick with Va Tech being just down the road from Washington and the Skins have camp in Richmond sometimes.

I was borderline stunned when I watched that little highlight reel....Pretty impressive, at least to me...