2017 Detroit Lions Offseason including ROD Mock Results

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Since I've wrapped up my ROD Mock Draft for the Detroit Lions, I've decided to do a write up in regards to their offseason as a whole. Starting with what they did in free agency, and my method to determining my draft strategy.

Free Agency

Key Losses:
Riley Reiff(T), Larry Warford(G), DeAndre Levy(OLB)released, Anquan Boldin(WR)unsigned, Devin Taylor(DE).

Team Needs: T, G, LB, WR, CB, S, DE

Key Additions:
(T) Ricky Wagner-
nice upgrade at the RT position to make up for Reiff leaving
(G) TJ Lang- a quick replacement for losing Warford, Lang will lock down the guard spot he vacated
(DT) Akeem Spence- nice rotational piece, to add depth to the defensive line
(CB) DJ Hayden- a nice signing, the Lions need help for Darius Slay in the worst way

After a very successful free agency period that solidified plenty of needs on offense, it only makes sense that the defense be repaired in the draft.

Pre-draft Team Needs:
OLB, MLB, WR, CB, S, DE

2017 ROD Mock Draft

Round 1 Pick 21:
OLB Haasan Reddick-Temple
images

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76cLlT_kE0

We have an opening at one OLB spot. Giving J.Bynes the reigns to one side of the field, since he did very well in Levy's absence. Since Levy is now gone, we need a difference maker on the field. Enter this monster.

NFL Combine Player Grade: 6.34
Chad Reuter 6 Round Mock Comparison- Reddick chosen 20th overall

Round 2 Pick 47:
MLB Jarrad Davis- Florida
upload_2017-4-15_20-43-41.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCGyy5bWd-E

We have no MLB worthy of starting, so I trade up in the second round, to make sure we get our MLB of the future, Jarrad Davis. A couple bad injuries ruined a good chunk of his college career, but he never should have played while hurt. He was the heart and soul of the Florida defense. This selection solidifies our linebacking corps.

NFL Combine Player Grade: 5.91
Chad Reuter 6 Round Mock Comparison- Davis chosen 32nd overall

Round 3 Pick 85:
DE Tarell Basham- Ohio
upload_2017-4-15_20-48-49.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baG4iB-nJRI

One of my favorite picks. We need someone to replace the other DE spot across from Zeke Ansah. Devin Taylor walks, and we go get a huge upgrade. If Basham played for that other Ohio team, he'd be in talks for early second round. And that's the grade I have on him. He's gonna lock down RDE while Ansah continues to dominate LDE.

NFL Combine Player Grade: 5.57
Chad Reuter 6 Round Mock Comparison- Basham chosen 57th overall

Round 4 Pick 133:
WR Dede Westbrook- Oklahoma
upload_2017-4-15_20-54-38.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey8KX84Elck

If it weren't for some off the field bull$hit, he would been in talks with the rest of the top draft receivers. He hasn't been charged with anything, but he's had problems with his babies momma. The lions are in talks to bring back Boldin, but that dude is getting up there in age. We need to start adding weapons now. And this guy is a weapon if I've ever seen one. Watch for yourself and decide.

NFL Combine Player Grade: 5.8
Chad Reuter 6 Round Mock Comparison- Westbrook chosen 113th overall

Round 6 Pick 205:
S Lorenzo Jerome- St.Francis(PA)
images

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVrCaNVEID0

Not someone we need to start right away. But he's a ball hawking safety from a smaller school, and we're looking to develop him for the secondary. While growing, he can step right in on special teams, specifically on return duties, where he is deadly. He's a little short, and loves to jump on passes, a little too much sometimes. But he'll lock down our FS spot once he grows into the league.

NFL Combine Player Grade: 5.51
Chad Reuter 6 Round Mock Comparison- Jerome chosen 153rd overall

Round 6 Pick 211:
CB Channing Stribling- Michigan
upload_2017-4-15_21-6-41.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkttMZ5A844

That Jourdan Lewis guy wasn't the only good defensive back on the Wolverines. This guy should not be here right now, but I'm trading back into the 6th to make sure he makes it on to my team. We keep this kid in Michigan to play for the home team. I think he walks in day one and competes with the newly acquired DJ Hayden for playing time.

NFL Combine Player Grade: 5.34
Chad Reuter 6 Round Mock Comparison: Stribling chosen N/A

As you can see, I decided to compare my picks to those of Chad Reuter, as I just noticed he did a 6 round mock. Looks like I got some pretty damn good value. He didn't have Stribling in his 6 rounds, that I could see. But I'll chalk that up on a count of he's an idiot.

2017 Detroit Lions Depth Chart:

Offense:
LT: Taylor Decker
LG: TJ Lang
C: Travis Swanson
RG: Graham Glasgow
RT:
Ricky Wagner

QB: Matt Stafford
RB: Theo Riddick
RB2: Ameer Abdullah
TE: Eric Ebron
WR1: Marvin Jones Jr
WR2: Golden Taint
WR3:
Dede Westbrook

Defense:
DE: Zeke Ansah
DT: A'Shawn Robinson
DT: H.Ngata
DE:
Tarell Basham
OLB: Haasan Reddick
MLB: Jarrad Davis
OLB: Josh Bynes

CB: D.Slay
CB:DJ Hayden vs
Channing Stribling
FS: Glover Quinn
SS: Tavon Wilson

Special Teams:
K: Matt Prater
P: Sam Martin
KR/PR:
Lorenzo Jerome

As you can see, I feel that I have addressed all of the immediate needs that the Lions had, without having to reach for them. I also feel, that where I got each player, I got tremendous value at my pick. Personally, I would have liked to have been able to grab a RB, a backup QB for Stafford and more depth players. But I did what I could, with what I had.

Please, feel free to share your thoughts, and don't be afraid to share what you would do differently.

Thanks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent job of addressing team needs and picking some damned good players! I'm not a huge Westbrook fan but it's hard to argue his value when you took him. Well done IMO!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Excellent job of addressing team needs and picking some damned good players! I'm not a huge Westbrook fan but it's hard to argue his value when you took him. Well done IMO!

Yeah, I chose Westbrook because there was already a big run on receivers in the mock, and he was easily the best value available. We can afford to take a risk on a player or two. And he hasn't had legal issues in a few years now.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Gee whiz are you a closet Lions fan?? Great job, hope the Rams draft this logically.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
What a shitty draft!!!

Think the Lions fans and brass would love it if the draft went thus way for them. Makes that defense pretty damn good!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
What a crappy draft!!!

Think the Lions fans and brass would love it if the draft went thus way for them. Makes that defense pretty damn good!

Thanks. The first few rounds had some very solid players drop to me. Got pretty lucky. Very unlikely it goes this way in the real draft.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thanks. The first few rounds had some very solid players drop to me. Got pretty lucky. Very unlikely it goes this way in the real draft.
Never know who will fall or get taken early in the draft, never plays out how one thinks so anything is possible.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I told you this before, but it bares repeating! Great Job! Everyone involved in the ROD mock should use this as a template, and do one of these, on the Team they where GM for!!(y)(y)

Ram65

Legend
Nice job JackDRam. You set the tone with the first two draftees. It's nice to see this report from our ROD mockers. Keeps us updated on teams. The Lions acted quickly after free agent losses on the O Line and you got good defensive talent. Now, I may think your drafted players are really on the Lions. ;)

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Nice job JackDRam. You set the tone with the first two draftees. It's nice to see this report from our ROD mockers. Keeps us updated on teams. The Lions acted quickly after free agent losses on the O Line and you got good defensive talent. Now, I may think your drafted players are really on the Lions. ;)

Haha thanks. Last year I got the 9ers and they drafted one of the guys I mocked to them. I'm looking to get a couple this year.