• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
His limited action was in the three biggest games that OSU had (B10 championship game, Alabama, Oregon). And he produced. And he clearly beat those two out this year. And he's matured from when he first went to Ohio State. I love Hackenberg as well, but I'm not ashamed that I'd be a really giddy school girl if we somehow got Cardale Jones in this draft. Add in Scooby Wright III, and oh my freaking God, we're gonna rule the NFC for years.

Well you have me behind the 8 ball on the prospects. I saw very little college football last season and am not familiar with all of the names. I almost exclusively saw Big Ten games this year. So some of those prospects are a bit foreign to me. But I did see Cardale Jones and I am still not convinced he is what everyone here is saying he is. He looked good in a few games but so did Kevin Kolb for the Eagles and so did Austin Davis for the Rams. I hope Jones gets to start over the other two because I want to see him play over the course of a season. And no I am not trying to downplay his playoff performance but he did have a great rushing attack in that game and teams he was playing against were prepared for a running QB, so I am not so sure it was a fair measure is all. Gregg Cosell saw holes in his game from the playoffs so it is not like the guy was infallible......but that doesn't mean he can't improve upon them either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hackenberg has all the physical tools but he needs to progress and show consistency in 2015. Although, Franklin's system and his supporting cast did him no favors.

There seems to be a consensus of speculation that Hackenburg will enter the draft next year. I don't know if it is a good thing or bad. Franklin runs a pro style offense but he prefers his QBs to be able to run. Staying there may not help Hackenburg much but maybe giving the Oline another year to mature and wait until 2017 to come out could give him a better chance to show that his decision making has improved. He should have the weapons to play well because they are loaded at WR and had two great RB recruits this year added to those already on the team. The Oline will continue to hold him back though unless a miracle happens and they learn to block. Who knows, if he doesn't get good blocking and still enters the draft he could possibly be a good mid first to early second round QB that really pans out with proper coaching. (He looked much better under O'Brien)

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Based on what I've seen, Jared Goff is the jewel of the 2016 QB Class followed by Cardale Jones. Cardale has massive upside but Goff is that prototypical pocket passer. He reminds me a lot of Sam Bradford after Sam's first year at Oklahoma...skinny kid but insane arm talent and very composed in the pocket.

I also really want to see Carson Wentz. 6'6" 230 with mobility and a strong arm. One of the top FCS players and NFL scouts are apparently very high on him...no surprise. I gotta see where his pocket presence, mechanics, and accuracy are at.

I'm not a fan of Cook. Not poised enough in the pocket or consistent enough with his accuracy for me. Hackenberg has all the physical tools but he needs to progress and show consistency in 2015. Although, Franklin's system and his supporting cast did him no favors.

Kiel is a good talent but he doesn't have the physical talent of the other top guys and needs to stay healthy. But I want to see how he progresses this year. Physical talent is overrated and he showed a lot of positive traits last year which was his first as a starter.

Brissett has a long ways to go for me. Very Brett Hundley like...project QB at this point.

A couple other names worth mentioning:
Trevone Boykin QB TCU - Very RGIII like imo with his skill-set but that's not a bad thing (good arm and great mobility but he still chooses to hang in the pocket). I'd need to know where his intelligence and character are at to feel comfortable with him but definitely an intriguing prospect. Hate that he's coming from an Air Raid offense, though.

Cody Kessler QB USC - His instincts and mechanics are sound but I see him as more of an overachiever and a college QB. Think he'll make a great backup but not sure he has the talent to be a long time NFL starter. A lot of things in common with Garrett Grayson but Grayson was more physically talented and had better poise under pressure imo.

Jeremy Johnson QB Auburn - Will be his first year as a full time starter but he's got Cardale Jones like talent and did play in 2014 and 2013. He's showed great things thus far when he's played. 6'5" 240 with mobility and a very strong arm. We'll see how he does as the full time starter but flashed the potential to be a top 10 pick in 2014 when he played. If he lives up to his potential and continues to play well, he could push Cardale and Goff to be the top QB selected.

A couple smaller school guys worth keeping an eye on are Paxton Lynch from Memphis and Brandon Doughty from Western Kentucky. Haven't seen much of either yet, though. Zach Terrell from Western Michigan is another.

Brad Kaaya from Miami is also a name to watch but he's not eligible next year. He'll be a top prospect in 2017, though. J.T. Barrett will also likely be a top prospect in 2017 assuming that Cardale starts in 2015. Same with Deshaun Watson from Clemson in 2017.

Another guy that I felt showed some flashes of good things is Patrick Towles from Kentucky but I doubt he enters the draft early in 2016.

There are also some people very high on Nate Sudfeld from Indiana and Wes Lunt from Illinois also has fans because both are big, prototypical pocket passing types.

Justin Holman and Will Gardner are both big guys with guns but they need to show more consistency.

Everett Golson is a small guy with an arm but he, too, needs to show more consistency.

Dak Prescott and Kevin Hogan haven't been mentioned yet because I'm not high on either.

Carson Wentz and Jeremy Johnson are two I need to keep and eye on this year, Johnson has gotten high remarks but his accuracy and ball placement leave a lot to be desired. People see a big, athletic quarterback with a big arm and they think he's a top 10 pick, well to me Johnson is no where near a 1st round talent right now.

Here's what will happen next year though...Rams will be in position to draft Cardale Jones, and we'll pass for a cornerback. When asked why he didn't take the potential franchise signal caller, Fisher will reply with one word..."Mannion."

And then Rams fans will jump off the Arch.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Carson Wentz and Jeremy Johnson are two I need to keep and eye on this year, Johnson has gotten high remarks but his accuracy and ball placement leave a lot to be desired. People see a big, athletic quarterback with a big arm and they think he's a top 10 pick, well to me Johnson is no where near a 1st round talent right now.

Here's what will happen next year though...Rams will be in position to draft Cardale Jones, and we'll pass for a cornerback. When asked why he didn't take the potential franchise signal caller, Fisher will reply with one word..."Mannion."

And then Rams fans will jump off the Arch.

So long as the cornerback is VH3 or Ramsey, I'll be jumping with joy. I won't even care if he says "Mannion." Those two are legit shutdown corners (and if Ramsey is drafted as a free safety, I'll have no doubt that he's still top ten, but if he produces at cornerback, then he and VH3 will be very close in the cornerback rankings).

Keep an eye out for Wayne Lyons as well. Stanford guy. The most dominant cornerback out of the Pac-12 (and that's saying a ton, given how many good cornerbacks these guys had).

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Based on what I've seen, Jared Goff is the jewel of the 2016 QB Class followed by Cardale Jones. Cardale has massive upside but Goff is that prototypical pocket passer. He reminds me a lot of Sam Bradford after Sam's first year at Oklahoma...skinny kid but insane arm talent and very composed in the pocket.

I also really want to see Carson Wentz. 6'6" 230 with mobility and a strong arm. One of the top FCS players and NFL scouts are apparently very high on him...no surprise. I gotta see where his pocket presence, mechanics, and accuracy are at.

I'm not a fan of Cook. Not poised enough in the pocket or consistent enough with his accuracy for me. Hackenberg has all the physical tools but he needs to progress and show consistency in 2015. Although, Franklin's system and his supporting cast did him no favors.

Kiel is a good talent but he doesn't have the physical talent of the other top guys and needs to stay healthy. But I want to see how he progresses this year. Physical talent is overrated and he showed a lot of positive traits last year which was his first as a starter.

Brissett has a long ways to go for me. Very Brett Hundley like...project QB at this point.

A couple other names worth mentioning:
Trevone Boykin QB TCU - Very RGIII like imo with his skill-set but that's not a bad thing (good arm and great mobility but he still chooses to hang in the pocket). I'd need to know where his intelligence and character are at to feel comfortable with him but definitely an intriguing prospect. Hate that he's coming from an Air Raid offense, though.

Cody Kessler QB USC - His instincts and mechanics are sound but I see him as more of an overachiever and a college QB. Think he'll make a great backup but not sure he has the talent to be a long time NFL starter. A lot of things in common with Garrett Grayson but Grayson was more physically talented and had better poise under pressure imo.

Jeremy Johnson QB Auburn - Will be his first year as a full time starter but he's got Cardale Jones like talent and did play in 2014 and 2013. He's showed great things thus far when he's played. 6'5" 240 with mobility and a very strong arm. We'll see how he does as the full time starter but flashed the potential to be a top 10 pick in 2014 when he played. If he lives up to his potential and continues to play well, he could push Cardale and Goff to be the top QB selected.

A couple smaller school guys worth keeping an eye on are Paxton Lynch from Memphis and Brandon Doughty from Western Kentucky. Haven't seen much of either yet, though. Zach Terrell from Western Michigan is another.

Brad Kaaya from Miami is also a name to watch but he's not eligible next year. He'll be a top prospect in 2017, though. J.T. Barrett will also likely be a top prospect in 2017 assuming that Cardale starts in 2015. Same with Deshaun Watson from Clemson in 2017.

Another guy that I felt showed some flashes of good things is Patrick Towles from Kentucky but I doubt he enters the draft early in 2016.

There are also some people very high on Nate Sudfeld from Indiana and Wes Lunt from Illinois also has fans because both are big, prototypical pocket passing types.

Justin Holman and Will Gardner are both big guys with guns but they need to show more consistency.

Everett Golson is a small guy with an arm but he, too, needs to show more consistency.

Dak Prescott and Kevin Hogan haven't been mentioned yet because I'm not high on either.
I can't find much on Goff on YouTube or draft breakdown, but I trust your evaluations. I hope we aren't in position to draft him (if he is as good as you say he will go very early). I liked Foles as a backup plan to Bradford and feel he can be a solid QB, but I'm not sure he can be the guy. He has a decent team around him. Excited to see what he can do, but I'm going into the season with clear eyes knowing we may need to draft us a QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't find much on Goff on YouTube or draft breakdown, but I trust your evaluations. I hope we aren't in position to draft him (if he is as good as you say he will go very early). I liked Foles as a backup plan to Bradford and feel he can be a solid QB, but I'm not sure he can be the guy. He has a decent team around him. Excited to see what he can do, but I'm going into the season with clear eyes knowing we may need to draft us a QB.

There will be plenty up by the end of the 2015 season. Needs to add weight but that's not a difficult thing to do. He's just a very natural thrower with a quick release and sound mechanics. Has some things to work on but he fits the mold of what NFL teams look for and as I said before, naturally great thrower.

So long as the cornerback is VH3 or Ramsey, I'll be jumping with joy. I won't even care if he says "Mannion." Those two are legit shutdown corners (and if Ramsey is drafted as a free safety, I'll have no doubt that he's still top ten, but if he produces at cornerback, then he and VH3 will be very close in the cornerback rankings).

Keep an eye out for Wayne Lyons as well. Stanford guy. The most dominant cornerback out of the Pac-12 (and that's saying a ton, given how many good cornerbacks these guys had).

I won't be jumping for joy if we pass on a franchise QB when we need one. Even if we draft a quality player. However, I don't rate Ramsey as high as you do. Talented kid but I see him more as Tyrann Mathieu than Darrelle Revis.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I won't be jumping for joy if we pass on a franchise QB when we need one. Even if we draft a quality player. However, I don't rate Ramsey as high as you do. Talented kid but I see him more as Tyrann Mathieu than Darrelle Revis.

I can't see Ramsey as Tyrann Mathieu. He's 6'1", almost 200 lbs. He's stronger than Mathieu, faster than Mathieu, not as instinctive as Mathieu, but pretty close, can play any position in the secondary. He's going to ball for FSU this year. I don't think he's Revis either, but who is? He's not Tyrann Mathieu, though. I can't agree with that comparison.

We'll see who's right after this season. VH3 is a much better cornerback, someone better than Patrick Peterson, but without him, Ramsey would have no competition as the best defensive back in this class.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Speaking of Lyons, he's now a Michigan guy. ;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brandon Doughty will be a household name next year
Real interested to see how Cardale Jones does for a full season. There have been plenty of QB who have started out as hot prospects only to fizzle out by the time the season ended. I remember Kyle Orton being the "it" QB at mid season and by the end of the year he became a Jag

lockdnram21

Legend
U feel Foles can't be the guy but he's proven he can play and win games but wanted to ride with Bradford who hasn't proved anything but he gets injured a lot

FRO

Legend
U feel Foles can't be the guy but he's proven he can play and win games but wanted to ride with Bradford who hasn't proved anything but he gets injured a lot
Foles has had injury history too. Bradford is the more talented player. I believe Foles could be the guy, I'm just not 100% sold he is. Was 2013 a flash in the pan?

Memento

Name
Jemma

Honestly? I don't think that either Foles or Bradford is the one to take us to the promised land. That's why I want a quarterback in next year's class.

lockdnram21

Legend
Foles has had injury history too. Bradford is the more talented player. I believe Foles could be the guy, I'm just not 100% sold he is. Was 2013 a flash in the pan?
Talent is nothing without the production. also u can't compare the injuries

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Honestly? I don't think that either Foles or Bradford is the one to take us to the promised land. That's why I want a quarterback in next year's class.

I think Foles has more of a chance than Bradford due to health. Though it would mainly be because of his health and our defense.

A QB early next year is a must IMO. So many good options right not now too. Even if Foles puts up a good year, draft a qb early for the future, re-sign Foles to a 3-5 year contract, keep Mannion/Keenum as 3rd string to continue to develop . Thats my dream scenario when it comes to the QB's/

FRO

Legend
Talent is nothing without the production. also u can't compare the injuries
An injury is an injury. Both have had various injuries. Yes Foles had been more durable.

Also I'm not sure any QB would have been super productive with the Rams from 2010 to 2013. We have had little to nothing. This is our best offensive cast, and best case scenario is us being a middle of the pack offense, which should be good enough with our defense.

ausmurp

Starter
Read the entire post. Doesn't like PSU Hackenburg but loves all of these OSU guys. I was kind of poking fun but still it really does ring of homerism.

Hackenburg is overrated. I've seen him play a lot and he just doesn't impress me.

Cardale Jones...man this guy has the best arm OSU has had in a long time, maybe ever. If he puts together a magical season he will be first pick.

Watch for his WR Mike Thomas. 6'4 and fast. He's going to be a top WR this yr.

Also watch out for OSU WR Marshall. He is the "Percy Harvin" of the offense and does remind me a lot of Harvin. Could also blow up. I think he's a Sophomore though.

However I am still a bit cautious obout the Cardale Jones stiffy. He played in very limited action and didn't beat out either Miller or Barrett to start. It makes me wonder what we really saw. I wont anoint him the number 1 overall like some of you 'giddy school girls' are ready to do after a couple of games.

I was being a homer, on purpose lol.

ausmurp

Starter
my opinion of Hackenburg is not related to my OSU fandom though. He needs to improve a lot to show me he is a top QB prospect. Although I will say that PSUs lack of talent on offense could be a cause of his poor play. I've seen him make way to many questionable throws though...

A QB to watch that was already mentioned is Gunnar Kiel. #1 QB recruit in the nation, goes to Notre Dame, injuries washed out his starting chances- he lost to Golson even though he is a WAY better pocket QB than Golson - never understood that, Notre Dame made a huge mistake there. He had Cinci looking like an offensive powerhouse last yr even with their lack of talent on offense. Kiel is >>>>> Hackenburg imo.

I like Miss St. QB Dak Prescott as well, that kid has Heisman potential. Reminds me of a larger more physical Johnny Manziel the way he plays.

ausmurp

Starter
Forgot to mention Cook of course, since I see him play a lot in the B10. Cook looks really good at times but at others looks like Hackenburg. They're similar in size and play, I put Cook ahead though. His weapons that were drafted this yr are way underrated though in WR Lippett and RB Langford. I wanted the Rams to get Lippett...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
@jrry32
Who are the guys you're looking at as far as BPA cornerbacks next year?

IMO this is where the Rams needs to look in terms of completing the D.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32
Who are the guys you're looking at as far as BPA cornerbacks next year?

IMO this is where the Rams needs to look in terms of completing the D.

Vernon Hargreaves III is THE man. But we'll have to pick in the top 7 to get him unless he gets injured. Some will call it hyperbole but he's the best CB prospect since Patrick Peterson...maybe even better. I was very high on Joe Haden and Janoris Jenkins when they were at UF. VHIII is better than both.

Jalen Ramsey is another big name. Memento loves Ramsey. I need to see him in a cover CB role on the boundary before I can hop on his bandwagon. Thus far, he's been a lot like a bigger Tyrann Mathieu/LaMarcus Joyner...played slot/safety and thrived as a joker type player.(does everything...blitzing, run defense, slot CB)

With Darby and Williams leaving, he's supposedly taking over one of the spots on the boundaries. If he shows shutdown CB ability outside, he's also worth a top 10 pick.

Some guys I really respect are also very high on Cameron Sutton out of Tennessee. One rates him higher than VHIII (I have a hard time accepting that, though).

A couple other big names are the Virginia Tech CB duo of Kendall Fuller (young brother of Kyle...first round pick in 2014) and Brandon Facyson. Kendall Fuller is very talented, technically refined, and instinctive but has had some troubles with big, physical guys.(struggled against DeAndre Smelter) Brandon Facyson is very long and athletic but has had durability problem to this point. Either could emerge as first round picks...hell, both could.