2016 Rams training camp battles: Lance Kendricks vs. Tyler Higbee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

It's week 1 who are you starting at TE?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
2016 Rams training camp battles: Lance Kendricks vs. Tyler Higbee
gettyimages-129357527.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...camp-battles-lance-kendricks-vs-tyler-higbee/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 12 hours ago

In this new series, we will break down the top training camp battles for the Los Angeles Rams. Get to know the strengths and weaknesses of each player, as they battle for the spotlight in Los Angeles. Next on the list, TEs Lance Kendricks vs. Tyler Higbee

Related:

2016 Rams training camp battles: Aaron Green vs. Malcolm Brown

The Los Angeles Rams No. 2 tight end from last year, Lance Kendricks, was able to breathe a sigh of relief when starter Jared Cook was released. But now the question becomes, could he be in for a competition with rookie Tyler Higbee out of Western Kentucky?

Higbee, by all intensive purposes, is a talented pass-catching tight end, who could give Kendricks a run for his money.

The case for Kendricks
While it is an exciting time for the Rams with the move to Los Angeles, it’s imperative to not throw a rookie who isn’t ready into the fire right away. After all, keep in mind that Higbee is a fourth-round pick and needs to develop a bit. Kendricks is 28 years old now, so he’s actually in his prime, and is likely ready to finally show everyone why the Rams drafted him years ago.

Kendricks has proven with his 4.5 40-yard dash speed that he can get up field and be a playmaker when needed. What has been the issue with Kendricks? Well, the fact the Rams signed Cook, for starters. Cook was one of the Rams’ top-two receiving targets in all three seasons that he was with the team. Kendricks had a very up-and-down rookie campaign, but the key was his sophomore season.

gettyimages-457180178.jpg

At that time in 2012, Kendricks was the No. 1 tight end, and had 42 catches for 519 yards and four touchdowns. It has been his best year to date by a mile, but since then, he’s been forced to take a backseat, primarily being the second tight end and used mostly for his blocking.

The former Wisconsin Badger gives Jared Goff a veteran presence as a safety blanket. Which is big, as rookie quarterbacks tend to lean on tight ends when a play breaks down. Kendricks’ speed alone could make him a great pairing with Goff, as he can turn a quick two-yard pass into a 40-yard gain.

Kendricks is a very talented player and there is a reason the Rams re-signed him to a four-year deal. There is also a reason the Rams cut ties with Cook as well.

The case for Higbee
Both Kendricks at 6-foot-3, 250 pounds and Higbee at 6-foot-4, 243 pounds are physical freaks. Higbee has the upside that stands out right away. He was in an offense at Western Kentucky that didn’t feature him as much as some schools feature tight ends. He also didn’t have a stellar quarterback either. With all due respect, think about going from Brandon Doughty to Jared Goff. Higbee will surely notice a jump in talent right off the bat.

Higbee can do everything needed and he can do it fairly well. His only weakness is the fact he does struggle running through blocks and is sluggish adjusting to assignments when blocking. Every prospect, however is going to have weaknesses, that’s what makes them rookies.

usatsi_8851137.jpg

Realistically though, Higbee was not a day-three pick purely based off his skill set. He was honestly the second-best tight end in the draft in the eyes of many, behind only Hunter Henry. The reason Higbee fell so far, was due to an arrest he received not long before the draft. The arrest really impacted his draft stock, and was a big reason why he fell to the fourth round.

The Rams feel like they took a chance on a guy who could be a really special football player. I believe in that, and some others are starting to as well. Higbee looks similar to Cook on tape (except the whole catching part), and he could play a big role this season and instantly start developing serious chemistry with his fellow classmate.

Final verdict
When you put everything together, obviously both have strong arguments to start. However, I believe it would be most beneficial to have Kendricks start out during Goff’s rookie season. A tight end duo of Kendricks and Higbee however, looks very nice.

Realistically, the best case scenario is Kendricks starting this year and possibly next, followed by Higbee coming in as the starter the year after. That could also potentially allow fellow 2016 draftee, Temarrick Hemingway to make a push for the No. 2 tight end job.

Ultimately the Rams drafted Higbee and Hemingway to put down a road map for their franchise quarterback in the years to come. Kendricks will start one or two seasons, Higbee will then fill out the role after Kendricks’ contract is up and in steps Hemingway to back up Higbee.

At that point, assuming these players are able to live up to their raw potential, you could be looking at a nice dynamic duo with off-the-chart traits and ability. For now, though, Kendricks is the leader heading into training camp, and barring an injury, he should be considered the leader for the 2016 season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
SORRY!! It would be silly to try to answer this question before Training camp and pre-season play out!! JMHO

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Not really much of a competition here in my mind as both (all 3, really) will see the field plenty and sometimes at the same time.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't see any TE starting over LK.
With a rookie QB and a rookie wr possibly starting, adding a rookie TE may be too much to expect.
Also. LK is a solid player. He could start on many teams.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
As someone already said: "Starting" as a TE isn't the same as starting at QB or MLB. TEs are in different sub packages and will see the field at different times for different reasons. Higbee may see the field more as a receiver than Kendricks but certainly Kendricks will be in more packages as a blocker.

I am very excited to see Higbee work. I hope Kendricks ups his game now that it may be taken away from him but he didn't really show much before so..........

Hemmingway may become something also.

**Had no idea Kendricks has 4.5 speed. He sure doesn't look like it on the field.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
No fair, jake! Lol.

Can we see a few camp reports first?

Maybe a preseason game, or two?

I'll say this. I predict that at some point this season we will see Higbee as the starter. Maybe by mid season.

There. I said it.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I don't think Fish will give a rookie more reps over an experienced vet like Kendricks, but I can see Higbee playing more than Kendricks by the end of the year.

IMO Kendricks is at his best as complimentary TE who can block out of different positions, but shouldn't be your primary receiving TE. IMO he has never looked natural as a receiving TE because he is stiff and his hands are questionable.

Higbee on the other hand reminds me alot of Travis Kelce because he has great size, speed, and is natural pass catcher. He isn't a great blocker yet, but he already posses the required size and aggressiveness to be a good blocker. As a former WR he is a big mismatch for safeties and linebackers because of his size and speed, and I believe he only dropped 1 ball last year. If he is healthy he has the potential to be one of our top receiving options.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have seen Kendricks make a few clutch catches, and a lot of times I wasn't that impressed. My memory reflects an inability to seperate from defenders. He is just meh to me....I'd like to see what Higbee and Hemmingway can do,

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Kendricks will be the "#1" week one because that's how Fisher rolls. Higbee has talent, but the Rams ask all their TEs to block. Who knows how quickly he will come along in that aspect of his game.

Rainram

Starter
I voted Higbee solely because Kendricks (who I try real hard to like) has this cloud of underachievement that follows him around.

Kendricks is solid. B+ as a blocker in the run game. He's not quite as effective in the passing game, which actually helps him I think, because teams didn't expect him out in patterns (at least when Cook was in there too). That drop (Steelers game I believe) killed me!! I've seen quite a few unspectacular moments in the passing game from him...so much so, that when he does do something, it seems that much better.

Regardless, he's a valuable asset for Gurley...and therefore I'm sure he will be a mainstay (at least for the foreseeable future).

But sign me up as someone that wants to see great things out of Higbee.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Kemdricks was signed to way too much money. I also think Higbee has much more potential then Kendricks. Kendricks is nothing special at TE. If that's the best the Rams have that's not good. IMHO.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Am I the only person who thinks that Hemingway can contribute in 2016?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Am I the only person who thinks that Hemingway can contribute in 2016?

No. I actually think he can be the best of the bunch.
I am really excited about the prospect of one of these guys we drafted at TE and WR really stepping up and filling those huge holes we have!!!!!

HellRam

Starter
I don't see any TE starting over LK.
With a rookie QB and a rookie wr possibly starting, adding a rookie TE may be too much to expect.
Also. LK is a solid player. He could start on many teams.

I'm with this mostly. Lance Kendricks is also one of the Rams more underrated player's imo. I like Higbee but I don't see him beating out Kendricks this year. If Higbee does beat out Kendricks then we got a really solid TE tandem.

Hemingway look's really athletic but more time's then not I don't have much expectations with 6th and 7th round draft picks their rookie year. Hemingway is no different.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't necessarily see a battle for the job taking place especially this year. I think as the year progresses and moves into next year we're going to see a gradual shift of playing time in passing downs from LK to the Higbeast. There's simply too much physical talent there for LK to hold him off forever. The only thing that could hurt Higbee imo is health.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I like Lance Kendricks. I do...

But this O has lacked a TE that strikes fear into an opposing D for a long, long time.

Cook was signed to fill that role, but after an impressive first game, he consistently sputtered and disappointed.

I believe that Higbee can be a pass catching terror as our starting TE.

Size
Speed
Hands
Physicality
Attitude
Loves the game

He's a football player, not just an athlete like Cook was.

All due respect to Kendricks, but I see Higbee's rise to starter status as inevitable. Just a question of when, not if.

Not unlike the Goff vs Keenum relationship, really.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I like Lance Kendricks. I do...

But this O has lacked a TE that strikes fear into an opposing D for a long, long time.
I believe that Higbee can be a pass catching terror as our starting TE.
Size
Speed

All due respect to Kendricks, but I see Higbee's rise to starter status as inevitable. Just a question of when, not if.

Surprised mr. Jake Ellenbogen put Higbeast down for 6'4 243 lbs? he obviously used the Rams home website that has 2 guys listed wrong by 2 inches in height. They have WR Marquez North listed at 6'4 and he's 6'2.

They have Higbee listed at 6'4 but he's truly a 6'6 249 pound giant of a man. Oh well nobody's perfect though you would think the guy in charge of the home site roster specs would be about specific details especially with height accuracy.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/tyler-higbee/
Tyler Higbee
Position TE School Western Kentucky
Height 6' 6" Weight 249 lbs
Class RS Senior Number 82

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/roster/RAM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1853103/tyler-higbee

enpDYJfl.jpg

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Surprised mr. Jake Ellenbogen put Higbeast down for 6'4 243 lbs? he obviously used the Rams home website that has 2 guys listed wrong by 2 inches in height. They have WR Marquez North listed at 6'4 and he's 6'2.

They have Higbee listed at 6'4 but he's truly a 6'6 249 pound giant of a man. Oh well nobody's perfect though you would think the guy in charge of the home site roster specs would be about specific details especially with height accuracy.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/tyler-higbee/
Tyler Higbee
Position TE School Western Kentucky
Height 6' 6" Weight 249 lbs
Class RS Senior Number 82

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/roster/RAM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1853103/tyler-higbee

enpDYJfl.jpg

Used the draft profile on NFL.com aka the official measurements...

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
oh that is a typo i meant 6'6 haha my b
LOL no worries Jake... I did a WR breakdown after the draft and put M. North down for 6'4 using the Rams home site roster listing.. weight fluctuates but Height is permanent... I know this being under 6ft most of my life haha. Higbee is a large target that could be a Goff favorite before seasons end. I hope the big fella lives up to the hype from his W.Kentucky film