2016 NFL Mock Draft: With the No. 15 pick, Rams take ... a cornerback?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...t-with-the-no-15-pick-rams-take-a-cornerback/

usatsi_9030102.jpg

We knew the free agency period could possibly alter the Los Angeles Rams’ plans for April’s NFL draft. It seemed like the majority of mock drafts had the Rams going on the offensive — either with a quarterback or wide receiver.

But how’s this for a bold move in the first round?

FOX Sports’ Peter Schrager has the Rams going on the defensive with the No. 15 overall pick — Ohio State CB Eli Apple. From his latest mock draft:

The Rams lost out in the Janoris Jenkins sweepstakes, and it was actually pretty close. Now they’ve got Trumaine Johnson on what looks like a one-year deal at the moment and a defensive backfield that lost Rodney McLeod, too. One of the best young defensive back corps in the league is now a bit vulnerable. Apple is a rangy, 6-foot-1 cornerback who can get after it. Yes, Paxton Lynch is on the board, and I’ve got the Rams taking a cornerback.

Schrager prefaces his mock draft by throwing out some very good points. He’s clear that his mock draft is based on conversations he’s had with many of the NFL’s 32 head coaches and general managers during the owners meetings in Florida. That’s some good insight.

That being said, this isn’t the first time Apple’s name has come up. The Rams met with him earlier this month and were impressed, to say the least.

Still, it’d be pretty shocking to most if the Rams indeed decided to take a cornerback with the No. 15 pick instead of giving the offense an immediate threat.

We’ll soon find out.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see that happening. All it would take would be Tennessee deciding they really want Keenum as their backup, making him an offer and the Rams take their first rounder for letting Case go. The Rams draft Wentz gleefully, the Tennessee GM gets fired for the psychotic episode that led to offering Keenum a contract, and then the Rams use #15 for BPA.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not a fan of Shragers. In this instance I bet he read about Apple visiting the Rams and decided to mock it so he could seem like the smartest guy in the room if it happens. I remember him on the Herd talking about QBs around Sr Bowl week. He said "here is a name you haven't heard and he is going to be a first round QB, Carson Wentz, you heard it from me first". Really? Wentz name has come up long before Shrager ever uttered it. E always thinks he has inside info, but it is never anything new. Plus the guy is a total dweeb.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What makes me sick about the idea that we could go defense in the first round is that it's a realistic possibility.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I can see this happening, if not with Apple, then another CB. Depends on how Gaines is healing from the lisfranc injury, those are such tricky beast to recover from. If Gaines is healthy, then they likely go another direction, if still questionable, CB may be a necessary option.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I sure can't envision any scenario were the Rams would take a CB at #15, unless it where Jalen Ramsey, and we all know that ain't happening!!:rolllaugh::D

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Fisher did say a EJ and or a rookie will compete with Sensabaugh for the spot opposite Tru. Eli Apple is coming for a visit and we met with Mackenzie Alexnader and other CBs through out the pre draft process. Alexander and Apple will probably be availble around our pick and could be BPA.

I really dont want a corner and I hope the Rams dont take one, but I could definitely see them taking Hargreeves if he is there and Apple and Alexander would be on our list behind offensive prospects like Treadwell and Doctson.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fisher did say a EJ and or a rookie will compete with Sensabaugh for the spot opposite Tru. Eli Apple is coming for a visit and we met with Mackenzie Alexnader and other CBs through out the pre draft process. Alexander and Apple will probably be availble around our pick and could be BPA.

I really dont want a corner and I hope the Rams dont take one, but I could definitely see them taking Hargreeves if he is there and Apple and Alexander would be on our list behind offensive prospects like Treadwell and Doctson.

I agree with you I don't desire a CB with the first selection either however I can see in some case where a top 10 prospect like CB Vernon Hargreaves might slip very close to us. I would make that pick very fast! I would prefer the Rams do not go anywhere close to CB's Apple & Alexander @ #15

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree with you I don't desire a CB with the first selection either however I can see in some case where a top 10 prospect like CB Vernon Hargreaves might slip very close to us. I would make that pick very fast! I would prefer the Rams do not go anywhere close to CB's Apple & Alexander @ #15
I too like Hargreaves if he slips, and the QB option is off the table. I think Kevin Dodd could be a possibility too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Worst thing is I don't think Apple is BPA among defensive players let alone even CBs in that mock. He's got the length, but Alexander is the fit and also IMO has an elite ceiling in the Rams defense. If they take a CB I'm gonna be p!$$ed. If they take Apple over Alexander? I'd be livid man. I'd have to wait like 2 hours at least before I could post, seriously.

My take on the BPA there at 15 in that mock:

1. DE Lawson. BPA if the Rams are going to be crazy and take defense. Rams would have to take him IMO.
2. CB Alexander. Not sure how he slips out of round one in that mock, insanity.

But you know what? In spite of the above the pick in that scenario has to be LYNCH. Has to. If they pass on him to take defense in a defense-rich draft, or to take WR in a draft where WR value comes in rounds 2 and later and where incidentally they have 2 picks in that critical second round, they are out of their minds.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My guess is that 15 is a no mans land. BPA and Need aren't ideal fits there. I think Wagoner even said this already but I think the Rams would want to, in this order:

1) Trade up for Goff or Wentz
2) Trade down from 15 for a WR, TE, QB or BPA defensive player at DE or CB
3) Stay at 15 and probably pick BPA which could very well be a CB and probably not any offensive player because none of them are worth the 15th pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Eli Apple, Alexander, and the kid at Houston can all play....but at 15, I'd think we'd look for more value....

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I can see it happening. Or a run stuffing DT if they plan on letting Brockers test the market if the best edge rushers are gone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I too like Hargreaves if he slips, and the QB option is off the table. I think Kevin Dodd could be a possibility too.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kevin-dodd?id=2555338
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:dl

Dodd has moved up most draft grades over the last few months & has passed the more famous Shaq Lawson who has slipped some lately. Dodd has only one season as a starter & is more Left DE than Right DE with the Rams Defense. Dodd would make us a great LDE in the future & eventually replace Wm Hayes @ some point. Would also be in contention with our other LDE's like John Longacre & Ethan Westbrooks & even possibly Quinton Coples so it sure looks awful full over on that left side. Dodd sure looked very good in those two playoff bowl games late last season in NCAA tournament!

Big but here ....If I am going to draft a DE that high it better be a Right side pass rusher to be long term insurance for Robert Quinn. Mike Mayock does not rate Dodd on any of his draft position rankings.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-mayocks-2016-nfl-draft-position-rankings-20
Mike Mayock

Last edited:

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I wouldnt like this at all unless it was Ramsey or Hargraeves who fell to us which is NOT happening. This FO has been good at finding CB's after the 1st round. No need to take one in the 1st round when we have bigger needs. Tru (3rd round), Gaines (6th round), Joyner (2nd round), and Roberson (undrafted) are all good CBs along with signing Sensabaugh it just doesnt make sense. Find your CB hidden gem later in the draft.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I think your spot on. If Treadwell is gone I can see Alexander or Shaq Lawson as potential targets.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Only way it happens is if Lynch is on the board and they can use both second rd picks to jump back into the 1st round w/ next pick or two.. Thats a pipe dream also