2016 Mock 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
At present i'm somewhat concerned about Quick going forward, whether health or just looking for a fresh start somewhere else. Personally, since the Rams should be in an excellent CAP situation for 2016, i'm also looking towards free agency to perhaps make improvements with younger talent at positions where we may require some help.

The Rams have an interesting situation at DE with both Hayes and Sims becoming free agents, and I see no way we maintain Chris Long's current CAP hit, … same goes with the Cook & Laurinaitis contracts. With the long term contract given Kendricks, I believe the Cook era has now eclipsed, and we can save a bundle here by filling a vacancy thru the draft.

At this point, I would probably use our first round draft pick at LDE & attempt to extend C.Long, letting Hayes go while re-signing Sims. I'd offer Long something like 3 years at $16./$17mil, $12.mil of it guaranteed. If Long were to become a CAP casualty, then definitely re-sign Hayes. Of course, should Aldon Smith become available, this would change my draft, although I see him as quite a longshot.

FS Gipson & DE Aldon Smith are two of the 4 free agents i'm targeting currently and the fact that Smith was being pursued prior to being signed by Oakland explains some of my interest, as he has been quite the head case. I would also expand my list to include Philly's Mychal Kendricks as a potential MLB if Laurinaitis' consistency issues don't show a sign for improvement.. Even if Quick returns to the Rams, i'd still be looking to add Alshon Jeffry, who is my number 1 interest in free agency.

Rams UFA free agents to re-sign :

SS - Barron
DE - Sims
CB - T.Johnson
CB - Jenkins
K - Zuerline
C - Barnes (as back-up only)

WR - Quick
FS - McLeod

Potential Outside Free Agent Additions :

DE - Aldon Smith
MLB - Mychal Kendricks
FS - Gipson
WR - Alshon Jeffry

Since it's early in the season and many have been predicting an 8 - 8 final record or worse, that may have our 1'st round pick in the 15 or 16 area, possibly earlier, so i'd be looking to trade down to a later 1'st while adding another 2'nd rd. pick. So here goes this weeks early mock :

1) LDE - Shilique Calhoun, Mi.St.
2a) TE - Hunter Henry, Ark.
2b) C - Dan Voltz, Wi
2c) MLB - Kendell Beckwith, LSU (from trade-down)
3) DT - Jarran Reed, Ala.
4) CB - Wayne Lyons, Mi.(GT)
5) Used to take OT Battle

jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Fuck no for Aldon Smith. He needs to be kicked out of the league, not find another team. In addition, Gipson, Kendricks, and Jeffery are going to command a huge amount of money on the free agent market, and I can't see us signing them and Jenkins, Johnson, and Sims. That's too much money when we need to extend Brockers and McDonald after this year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, … here's the deal, regardless of our reasons for not wanting Aldon Smith, it was widely reported that the Rams were pursuing him before he chose the Raiders. His talent is evident even if he is a head-case. If Fisher wants him, it's out of our hands.

As for next years total CAP figure, i'm guessing at something close to $153.mil. The Rams already have contracts totaling about $110.mil for next season, leaving close to $43mil on the table. I believe we are also carrying about $9mil. in dead money this season, and the way I see it, this will be much reduced next year. Losing Cook while extending Chris Long & Laurinaitis could add as much as much as $15.mil to our available CAP, … even more if they were to become CAP casualties, which I don't expect. Cook's dead money hit would be around $2.6mil & if somehow both Long & Laurinatis were cut, our dead money costs would still be near $4.mil less than this year.
With the return of Gaines next year, perhaps both Jenkins/Johnson become either or, but i'm hoping we can get them both signed. Barron may also be iffy as a re-sign, the Rams sent a message when they didn't give him his 5 year option. Just to make this shorter, I don't believe signing some outside quality talent while re-signing our own most significant free agents will be that much of a problem. We are in better CAP shape than we have been since Fisher arrived imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd avoid FA this year. The players we'd want aren't going to hit it. The pickings are slim. Let's keep our own players.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd avoid FA this year. The players we'd want aren't going to hit it. The pickings are slim. Let's keep our own players.

Honestly, I don't get this. First, the potential for excellent free agent talent is their by the numbers, although obviously we won't know who remains available until the day F/A opens. My feeling is 2016 will absolutely be the time to strike as not only will we be in the best CAP shape since Fisher arrived, but a team with as much young talent as the Rams may only need a few quality guys to push them over the top. Fish & Snead are no longer in a rebuild mold, it's now time to add those few necessary pieces the draft can't provide to take us to the next level. I'm not talking about tired vets looking for their 3'rd & 4'th contracts, but top younger talent seeking their 2'nd contract. Two or three young vets added to another draft should be more than enough for starters and depth, the added bonus is the learning curve will be much reduced. There are plenty of our own guys to re-sign, but it looks to me like there will be funds available to get it done along with adding some outside talent. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, I don't get this. First, the potential for excellent free agent talent is their by the numbers, although obviously we won't know who remains available until the day F/A opens. My feeling is 2016 will absolutely be the time to strike as not only will we be in the best CAP shape since Fisher arrived, but a team with as much young talent as the Rams may only need a few quality guys to push them over the top. Fish & Snead are no longer in a rebuild mold, it's now time to add those few necessary pieces the draft can't provide to take us to the next level. I'm not talking about tired vets looking for their 3'rd & 4'th contracts, but top younger talent seeking their 2'nd contract. Two or three young vets added to another draft should be more than enough for starters and depth, the added bonus is the learning curve will be much reduced. There are plenty of our own guys to re-sign, but it looks to me like there will be funds available to get it done along with adding some outside talent. jmo.

Look at the list of free agents. Consider who will get franchise tagged. Then look at the list again. There's nobody available worth signing. The quality players are all close to or past 30.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Look at the list of free agents. Consider who will get franchise tagged. Then look at the list again. There's nobody available worth signing. The quality players are all close to or past 30.

Well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I see plenty of young talent on that list that could become available, and free agency is quite active every year. Sure, some will be franchised, but not every team has the CAP space to accomplish keeping everyone on. And there is a good deal more talent out there than the obvious franchise candidates. Talent isn't always about paying top dollar, good scouting along with a clever GM can also accomplish many of our goals. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I see plenty of young talent on that list that could become available, and free agency is quite active every year. Sure, some will be franchised, but not every team has the CAP space to accomplish keeping everyone on. And there is a good deal more talent out there than the obvious franchise candidates. Talent isn't always about paying top dollar, good scouting along with a clever GM can also accomplish many of our goals. jmo.

I'm willing to consider this. Can you give me a few names?