2016 FA QB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Pos.
Player
2015 Team
Note

QB Drew Stanton ARI
QB Bryn Renner BAL
QB Matt Schaub BAL
QB Matt Cassel BUF
QB Joe Webb CAR
QB Jimmy Clausen CHI
QB Brandon Weeden DAL
QB Brock Osweiler DEN
QB Dan Orlovsky DET
QB Scott Tolzien GB
QB Matt Hasselbeck IND
QB Chad Henne JAX
QB Chase Daniel KC
QB Tyler Bray KC RFA
QB Matt Moore MIA
QB Mike Kafka MIN RFA
QB Luke McCown NO
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick NYJ
QB Matthew McGloin OAK RFA
QB Sam Bradford PHI
QB Bruce Gradkowski PIT
QB Michael Vick PIT
QB Tajh Boyd PIT
QB Kellen Clemens SD
QB Tarvaris Jackson SEA
QB Case Keenum STL RFA
QB Charlie Whitehurst TEN
QB Colt McCoy WAS
QB Kirk Cousins WAS

Of that list only Osweiler, Fitzpatrick and Cousins would be of interest.
Almost zero chance Washington lets Cousins go or Denver lets Osweiler go.
That leaves Fitzpatrick and the rest are sort of grim pickings. I do like McGloin also as a potential backup but he is restricted.
I would like the Rams to give Keenum some time and they may once they are realistically eliminated. You traded for the guy, must like him. See what he can do. If Foles and the passing game plays out the same way the rest of the year the Rams may be forced to go in another direction. At the least I would like them to bring in a competent NFL QB with starts under his belt to compete with Foles. Of course, that will eat up some cap space.
A guy is often not as great as he seems when everything is going right and not as bad as it looks when things are going wrong. I am not a big fan of Foles but I don't think he is as bad as he has shown the last month. He mechanics are screwy and it clearly is in his head. He is staring down receivers and still late on a lot of throws. At any rate, not trying to bag on him, anyone here anybody likes?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Not a single QB on that list I'd be interested in signing. Develop Mannion and let Keenum get a few opportunities in the meantime.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a single QB on that list I'd be interested in signing. Develop Mannion and let Keenum get a few opportunities in the meantime.
At this point cut Foles and running with the other two is a better option than those free agents. I agree with Jrry's mock though it's time to make a splash and trade up for a QB. Though I doubt this coaching staff would draft or develop the QB right.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
At this point cut Foles and running with the other two is a better option than those free agents. I agree with Jrry's mock though it's time to make a splash and trade up for a QB. Though I doubt this coaching staff would draft or develop the QB right.

I'll never stop posting this until it's proven incorrect: fix the damn O-line first, either that or get a QB that can run like a jackrabbit.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

They'd just coach him to never throw INT's to the near exclusion of everything else, the we'd get a guy who either checks down almost all the time or throws the ball where nobody can catch it.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think Fitzpatrick would be a great stopgap for developing a QB. He can bring solid, reliable play, make plays when you need him to, and overall just be a pretty accurate smart QB. He's playing well this season and is definitely worthy of being a starter, he's better than half the league's starters anyway, including Foles. He'd give us the ability to take a QB high and let him sit for a little, or let Mannion sit for a little longer as well. He's also plenty good enough for us to make the playoffs with him.

I'd love to bring Fitzpatrick back here.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Develop Mannion.
What makes you think this coaching staff has any ability to develop a QB?
There certainly has been little evidence of that. Even if they did have "proven" QB whispers on staff the prospects of developing a drafted QB are a crap shoot at best. Low rates of return. Has there been anything to make anyone who watched Mannion play that he is a "10 year" answer?
To me it is clear the team needs a veteran QB who can be consistent and solid. This first round of FA regarding the D....so much invested in this D....is the first little movement of the window shutting. If a QB is drafted and thrown into the fire too early we are probably getting the same level of production we are now. If a guy is drafted and sits to develop for 3 or 4 years (the time it really takes most guys to get it) the window on the D will be well on its way to closing.
The Rams need to start winning very soon if they are going to take advantage of what is in place and make any sort of push toward a title. That is the goal as I understand it.
There is a clear and consistent difference between what the Rams are getting (and what the Eagles got from Foles last year) and where Fitzpatrick is now.
He isn't a 10 year answer but that Rams haven't had one of those is forever. He is a guy who can get wins and make some plays, keep the team competitive and give the team a chance before defections, age and other things dismantle the D.
I would draft another QB certainly. Get a couple in the system and see if anyone lights up so to speak.
It is becoming clear that the trade for Foles (and the extension) were a misstep in the sense they believed he is the guy. The passing game and Foles can improve this season and I think they will. I have not shut the door on him or the offense. However, if things don't improve going into next year with the same approach or a rookie at QB is the equivalent of giving up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not a free agent, yet, but.......

REPOST

Most, if not everyone, on this and all Rams forums will disagree with this player as an option for 2016, but I'll throw him out there anyway......Colin Kaepernick. Just let him play his game and don't try to make a traditional QB out of him.

Most will scoff, but Cam Newton is doing the same thing Kaepernick was doing before they tried to make a traditional passer out of him and the Panthers are 9-0. Newton's not completing 60% of his passes either. His best WR Benjamin is on IR. He's keeping drives going with his feet as the second leading carrier for Carolina.

And, IMO, his presence as a running threat alone would make Gurley and Austin even more deadly. Plus, his arm strength could do wonders for when they took shots down the field.

Fisher's built his team. He just doesn't have his McNair (who also ran all over the place) and IMO, Kaepernick could be that guy.

Jon%20Stewart%20Hiding%20Gif.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
RG3? That would be interesting.

Damaged goods, physically and mentally.

Develop Mannion.
What makes you think this coaching staff has any ability to develop a QB?
There certainly has been little evidence of that. Even if they did have "proven" QB whispers on staff the prospects of developing a drafted QB are a crap shoot at best. Low rates of return.

How could they develop Bradford when he was always injured? Who else was there to develop? They screwed up by letting Austin Davis go. So there's no way to tell, one way or the other, if they can develop anyone. Foles? He's a veteran QB behind a shaky O-line with receivers who continually drop the ball or can't get open. No QB in the NFL has been hit more often than him. He's getting Bulgerized and it shows.

To me it is clear the team needs a veteran QB who can be consistent and solid.

And how can this veteran QB you speak of be consistent and solid with the supporting cast we presently have on the Rams offense?

Colin Kaepernick

I detest both him and Sean Peyton for different reasons but at this point I no longer care who plays or coaches for the Rams as long as we win.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@fearsomefour

Out of that list....I'd take Sam back....seriously...

But I'd prefer some college QB that's unblemished....Goff/Cook/Lynch.....

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Pos.
Player
2015 Team
Note

QB Drew Stanton ARI
QB Bryn Renner BAL
QB Matt Schaub BAL
QB Matt Cassel BUF
QB Joe Webb CAR
QB Jimmy Clausen CHI
QB Brandon Weeden DAL
QB Brock Osweiler DEN
QB Dan Orlovsky DET
QB Scott Tolzien GB
QB Matt Hasselbeck IND
QB Chad Henne JAX
QB Chase Daniel KC
QB Tyler Bray KC RFA
QB Matt Moore MIA
QB Mike Kafka MIN RFA
QB Luke McCown NO
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick NYJ
QB Matthew McGloin OAK RFA
QB Sam Bradford PHI
QB Bruce Gradkowski PIT
QB Michael Vick PIT
QB Tajh Boyd PIT
QB Kellen Clemens SD
QB Tarvaris Jackson SEA
QB Case Keenum STL RFA
QB Charlie Whitehurst TEN
QB Colt McCoy WAS
QB Kirk Cousins WAS

Of that list only Osweiler, Fitzpatrick and Cousins would be of interest.
Almost zero chance Washington lets Cousins go or Denver lets Osweiler go.
That leaves Fitzpatrick and the rest are sort of grim pickings. I do like McGloin also as a potential backup but he is restricted.
I would like the Rams to give Keenum some time and they may once they are realistically eliminated. You traded for the guy, must like him. See what he can do. If Foles and the passing game plays out the same way the rest of the year the Rams may be forced to go in another direction. At the least I would like them to bring in a competent NFL QB with starts under his belt to compete with Foles. Of course, that will eat up some cap space.
A guy is often not as great as he seems when everything is going right and not as bad as it looks when things are going wrong. I am not a big fan of Foles but I don't think he is as bad as he has shown the last month. He mechanics are screwy and it clearly is in his head. He is staring down receivers and still late on a lot of throws. At any rate, not trying to bag on him, anyone here anybody likes?

Yikes...talk about scrapheaps...:shocked::thinking::palm:

I'd rather see the Rams go with Keenum right now, today, and start getting Mannion some good reps in practice. Foles? I think he needs to get treatment for his PTSD. After that, back to QB101 to rebuild the foundation first before remodeling his game, if that's even possible at this point...

64172-Airplane-drinking-problem-gif-sdoG.gif

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
QB class of 2016 looks pretty deep.

Goff (Cal), Lynch (Memphis), Cook (Mich. St.). Brissett (NC State)... and I like what I've seen from Hogan at Stanford...

Right now I hope the Rams get a QB in Round 1, some way or another, even if they have to package picks to move up.

But of course we have 6 months yet to debate this endlessly.....

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QB class of 2016 looks pretty deep.

Goff (Cal), Lynch (Memphis), Cook (Mich. St.). Brissett (NC State)... and I like what I've seen from Hogan at Stanford...

Right now I hope the Rams get a QB in Round 1, some way or another, even if they have to package picks to move up.

But of course we have 6 months yet to debate this endlessly.....
This. It's rare to trade or buy a franchisee qb. Let's groom our own.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If anyone one was on that list was any good they wouldn't be FA's.
Manion draft comparable was Foles. Is that a good gamble?
Draft one trade up give up what it takes to get one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not a free agent, yet, but.......

REPOST

Most, if not everyone, on this and all Rams forums will disagree with this player as an option for 2016, but I'll throw him out there anyway......Colin Kaepernick. Just let him play his game and don't try to make a traditional QB out of him.

Most will scoff, but Cam Newton is doing the same thing Kaepernick was doing before they tried to make a traditional passer out of him and the Panthers are 9-0. Newton's not completing 60% of his passes either. His best WR Benjamin is on IR. He's keeping drives going with his feet as the second leading carrier for Carolina.

And, IMO, his presence as a running threat alone would make Gurley and Austin even more deadly. Plus, his arm strength could do wonders for when they took shots down the field.

Fisher's built his team. He just doesn't have his McNair (who also ran all over the place) and IMO, Kaepernick could be that guy.

Jon%20Stewart%20Hiding%20Gif.gif

With a throw him to the wolves mentality and no other good options sure. But what happens when he gets injured? I do think that his threat to run and Gurley could make for a good run game but I think they would be facing 9 in the box on every down.