2015 Season Preview: St. Louis Rams/NFP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
2015 Season Preview: St. Louis Rams
Posted July 15, 2015

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2015-season-preview-st-louis-rams/

One thing is certain, the St. Louis Rams didn’t stand pat. There was a lot of roster turnover as well as some changes in the coaching staff. The Rams are trying to figure out a way in which to overtake the Seattle Seahawks for the division title. In order to do that, change was necessary. While the Rams may not be able to catch Seattle in 2015, they may be a little close than many think.

Quarterback

The biggest change fans will see in the 2015 St. Louis Rams is at quarterback. Gone is former first overall draft choice Sam Bradford and in is fourth year veteran Nick Foles. Personally, I felt the Rams got the better of the deal when the Bradford for Foles trade was made. Foles went to the Pro Bowl following the 2013 season in his first full year as a starter. While he may not have been a great fit for Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia offense, he should be a great fit in St. Louis.

Foles is a good leader, and as he gains experience and confidence in the Rams offense, he will become an even better leader. My feeling is that his best football is in front of him, and he will become a star in St. Louis.

Running Back

2015 will be a waiting period until Todd Gurley gets healthy. Gurley is a big, powerful back with the physical traits to be similar to Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson. While we may not see that back in 2015, we will see it in the future.

Until Gurley is healthy and ready to go, the main ball carrier will be second year back Tre Mason. Mason started slowly last year but finished the season with 795 yards. Behind Mason is Benny Cunningham.

At fullback is Cory Harkey, who is the unsung member of the offense. Harkey doubles as a tight end and is an outstanding blocker and special teams’ player. While he may not put up great numbers, he is highly appreciated.

Wide Receiver and Tight End

The Rams don’t have a true number one receiver. They have a bunch of guys who are solid twos.

Kenny Britt has the talent, but off-field woes have kept him from becoming the player he could be. In fairness, he may have had one of his best seasons last year and is beginning to take on a leadership role.

It took Brian Quick some time to adjust to the NFL game. Last year, he was playing his best football as a pro before he went down with a shoulder injury. It is hoped that he can pick up where he left off before the injury. The talent is there, but the consistency isn’t.

The player who needs to put it all together in 2015 is Tavon Austin. Now in his third season, he has not lived up to expectations. The Rams have solid depth behind the starters in players like Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens.

Jared Cook is the starting tight end and has flashed as a pro. He needs to become more consistent. Lance Kendricks is an excellent backup.

Offensive Line

The offensive line will have an entirely different look in 2015. Gone are Jake Long, Joe Barksdale, Scott Wells, and in are five rookies. The Rams drafted four linemen in the April draft and then added a fifth last week in the supplemental draft.

At left tackle will be last year’s first round pick Greg Robinson. Robinson played guard as a rookie while he learned the NFL game and gained confidence. The right tackle will most likely be second round draft choice Rob Havenstein from Wisconsin. Havenstein isn’t the most athletic guy, but like most Wisconsin linemen, he is technically sound and well coached.

The guard spots will be former tackle Rodger Saffold and rookie Jamon Brown. Saffold can be a very good player if he can stay healthy. Brown played tackle at Louisville but will be much better off inside at the NFL level.

The center will be former Alabama star Barrett Jones if he can stay healthy. If not, the starter will be Tim Barnes.

The reserves will be young and inexperienced but also talented. Rookie Cody Weichman can play guard or tackle as can rookie Andrew Donnal. Donnal needs to add strength and bulk. If the rookies falter, the Rams signed veteran free agent Garrett Reynolds, who has starting experience at guard and tackle.

Another player in the mix is rookie Isaiah Battle, who the Rams drafted in the recent supplemental draft. St. Louis used a fifth round pick on Battle, but the reality is that he is a second or third round talent. Battle has had some off-field issues, and that is why he slid to the fifth round. Having not taken part in the off season program, Battle will be way behind the others, but the Rams can’t afford to cut him. He will get claimed right away if the Rams try and get him through to the practice squad.

Defensive Line

The heart and soul of the St. Louis Rams is the defensive line. Even with the loss of defensive tackle Kendall Langford, the Rams D-Line is one of the best in the NFL.

At the end positions are two All-Pros in Robert Quinn and Chris Long. Both are tenacious pass rushers and top competitors. Long only played six games last year but is back healthy. Behind them is veteran William Hayes, who started and played well when Long was out. Also in the mix at end is Eugene Sims, who has shown he can rush the passer from both inside and out.

At the tackle spots are last year’s top defensive rookie Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers. Donald may be undersized, but he never takes a down off and is very technically sound with a great motor. To replace Langford, the Rams signed former Detroit Lions’ defensive tackle Nick Fairley. Fairley gives the Rams another excellent inside pass rusher.

Linebackers

At the Mike and Will linebacker positions, the Rams are as strong as any team in the league. Mike linebacker James Laurinaitis is smart and instinctive. He calls the defensive signals and is always around the ball. Will ‘backer Alec Ogleltree keeps getting better with experience, and with this being his third season, he should become one of the best Will’s in the NFL.

On the strong side, it will be either free agent Akeem Ayers or holdover, Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Regardless of who starts, each will play. Dunbar is also able to back up at all the linebacker positions. Darren Bates is the other key backup, and he is also very good on special teams.

Secondary

The Rams are strong in the secondary. At one corner is Janoris Jenkins, who has tremendous talent but will make the occasional mental mistake. Who lines up at the other corner will be determined in training camp. Trumaine Johnson is the incumbent starter, but he missed time last year with an injury. Second-year man E.J Gaines started 15 games as a rookie and played very well. No matter who starts, when the Rams go to nickel, all three will be in the field.

The fourth corner is second year man Lamarcus Joyner. Joyner didn’t live up to expectations last year because of injuries, but he could come on in 2015. He was one of the better corners in the 2014 draft.

At safety the Rams have three talented and solid players. The starters are T.J. McDonald at strong safety and Rodney McLeod at free. Both fit defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’s scheme very well.

Last year, the Rams traded for former Buc first round pick Mark Barron. He, too, is a solid fit, and after taking a while to learn the scheme, is ready to contribute more in 2015.

Outlook

In 2015, the Rams offense will be a work in progress with a new quarterback and such a young offensive line. It might be midseason before everyone gets on the same page, and the offense plays in sync. Because of that, the defense has to hold the fort and possibly win games. With Gregg Williams’s sophisticated pressure packages, the defense should be able to do what is asked.

The Rams may still be a year away from challenging the Seattle Seahawks for the division crown, but one thing is certain, the arrow is pointing up, and the Rams are a team to be reckoned with. This can be a very exciting team to watch in 2015.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I have to give my thumbs up too, very refreshing & well done as opposed to the usual previews. If anything he is overly complimentary (the linebacker section especially) so Rams fans should be pleased. It's so good it's almost like he's been reading this site or something! Only kinda odd part was his overconfidence with his picks of who will win out in the OL competitions, but then he was unsure at CB. Oh well, the guys he picked are the ones I'd pick as well, so I can't complain. Thanks for posting!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
What I noticed and I might just be shell shocked from reading so many Bleacher reports, is that he didn't make any uninformed statements. He actually seems to know what's happening with the Rams. :eek: :)

First thing I look for anymore is if it is bleacherreport.

This was well worth reading. Not regurgitated disinformation.

Alan

Legend
RamBall looking for telltale signs first:
Not regurgitated disinformation.
Not something that's easy to find at this time of the year. :)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I noticed and I might just be shell shocked from reading so many Bleacher reports, is that he didn't make any uninformed statements. He actually seems to know what's happening with the Rams. :eek: :)

Doesn't that mean he has to be fired now? That is the national media policy, isn't it?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just read the one for the Seahawks. They've got big OL changes too. Lost their starting Center and have a 2nd year playing RT. No depth on OL. They can't count on Jimmy Graham for help, he sucks as a blocking TE. Rams D are going to eat up Seahawks OL. I see the Rams 1st game as a battle of D's.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
one thing is certain, the arrow is pointing up, and the Rams are a team to be reckoned with. This can be a very exciting team to watch in 2015.
This^ is the Best part of the article! To Me!(y):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He actually seems to know what's happening with the Rams.

I have to give my thumbs up too, very refreshing & well done
Read somewhere in the link he's a well-respected scout of over 25 years....legit..wish I could find it...
edit: found it...thanks @Alan
The NFP scouting series will be taught by former Chicago Bears Director of College Scouting Greg Gabriel. Greg is a veteran of 29 NFL seasons. He started as a part-time scout with the Buffalo Bills in 1981. In 1984 he became an area scout for National Football Scouting and then was hired by the New York Giants in January of 1985. Gabriel was with the Giants for 16 seasons and worked with some all time great NFL coaches and personnel people including George Young, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Dan Reeves, Tom Coughlin and Ernie Accorsi. While in New York, the Giants won three NFC Championships and two Super Bowls (XXI and XXI). Also, 12 first round draft picks came from Gabriel’s main areas of responsibility. In June of 2001, Gabriel left New York to become Director of College Scouting for the Chicago Bears. During his nine seasons with Chicago, the Bears went on to win three Division Championships, one NFC Championship and were an NFC wildcard team twice. Nine of the Bears draft picks went on to the Pro Bowl under Gabriel’s direction.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
@LACHAMP46
http://bleacherreport.com/users/4047835-greg-gabriel
"I started my scouting career with the Buffalo Bills in 1981 as a part time scout. Became an area scout for National Football Scouting in 1984 and worked with them through the 1984 football season. I then joined the New York Giants as an area scout in January 1985. I was with the Giants through the 2001 NFL Draft and then became Director of College Scouting for the Chicago Bears. I held that position for 9 years and retired after the 2010 Draft. During my time in Chicago we were able to draft 9 Pro Bowl players and win 3 Division Championships as well as 1 conference Championship. Since retiring I have consulted for NFL teams including the Philadelphia Eagles for the 2012 season and 2013 Draft. I also write for the Nationalfootballpost.com on the NFL Draft and NFL in general."
You can follow me on twitter @greggabe

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I thought this was a fair and reasonable write up. Let's get this thing going.