2015 QB Class

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
After watching "Gruden's QB Camp" and also looking at game tape of the consensus top 5 QBs in this years draft, I am convinced this is a better than average class. I was very impressed with what I saw from each of these kids, both on the field and on the whiteboard. Some of them are young, and will need some good coaching to learn the pro systems, but I like their chances. Odds are that Winston and Mariota are gone before the Rams pick @ #10, so I wanted to ask you all who you would take (if any of them) and where you think they can be selected based on our picks.

Here are the Gruden Camp vids in case you haven't seen them...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I've maintained all along I think Brett Hundley is no less than number 3, still believe he gets drafted next Thursday, it would really help him if he fell to the right OC.

I'm pretty sure most of his detractors here haven't seen any more than "film" or read others comments on the guy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I've maintained all along I think Brett Hundley is no less than number 3, still believe he gets drafted next Thursday, it would really help him if he fell to the right OC.

I'm pretty sure most of his detractors here haven't seen any more than "film" or read others comments on the guy.

Hundley has had pretty good offensive lines during his career. He's had people like Su'a-Filo, Baca, Benenoch, Brendel, and Redmond, all of whom were/are legitimate NFL prospects. He even had Evans, Fauria, and Franklin, amongst many others to lean on, including the all-purpose prospect, Myles Jack. His happy feet got him sacked more than his entire offensive line did. He was actually worse as a pocket passer in 2014 than he was as a rushing quarterback in 2013, and he refused to change for his teammates, even when they were losing games. He wouldn't run the ball because of what NFL scouts would think (which he admitted himself).

More than half of his passes were six yards or less, he's a horrible passing quarterback on the run, he has zero anticipation (can't lead receivers and often overthrows or lets his passes sail), he has horrible pocket presence, he can't read coverages, he fumbled a ton (eleven fumbles in eleven games), and he took 125 sacks in three years. In college. With talented offensive lineman (the thought that UCLA's line is weak is a bit of a stretch. They're not the best in pass-protection, but I saw the same issues when I was looking at Su'a-Filo blocking his blindside, and Su'a-Filo should've probably been a first round pick and was taken with the first pick in the second round.

And yes, I've watched his games. Not as much as you or DR, but enough to see that he won't be a quarterback at the next level. A running back? Sure. A tight end? Maybe. A quarterback? Not with his numerous issues.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Hundley has had pretty good offensive lines during his career. He's had people like Su'a-Filo, Baca, Benenoch, Brendel, and Redmond, all of whom were/are legitimate NFL prospects. He even had Evans, Fauria, and Franklin, amongst many others to lean on, including the all-purpose prospect, Myles Jack. His happy feet got him sacked more than his entire offensive line did. He was actually worse as a pocket passer in 2014 than he was as a rushing quarterback in 2013, and he refused to change for his teammates, even when they were losing games. He wouldn't run the ball because of what NFL scouts would think (which he admitted himself).

More than half of his passes were six yards or less, he's a horrible passing quarterback on the run, he has zero anticipation (can't lead receivers and often overthrows or lets his passes sail), he has horrible pocket presence, he can't read coverages, he fumbled a ton (eleven fumbles in eleven games), and he took 125 sacks in three years. In college. With talented offensive lineman (the thought that UCLA's line is weak is a bit of a stretch. They're not the best in pass-protection, but I saw the same issues when I was looking at Su'a-Filo blocking his blindside, and Su'a-Filo should've probably been a first round pick and was taken with the first pick in the second round.

And yes, I've watched his games. Not as much as you or DR, but enough to see that he won't be a quarterback at the next level. A running back? Sure. A tight end? Maybe. A quarterback? Not with his numerous issues.

Let me get this straight, you're saying THE most sacked QB in CFB (by a wide margin) the past two seasons was operating behind a "talented" line, well perhaps some had "talent" but rarely did they play well as a cohesive unit on pass plays.

We all have our opinions, no use anyone getting their panties in a bunch :) arguing over conjecture, time will reveal soon enough.

Fair enough?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Let me get this straight, you're saying THE most sacked QB in CFB (by a wide margin) the past two seasons was operating behind a "talented" line, well perhaps some had "talent" but rarely did they play well as a cohesive unit on pass plays.

We all have our opinions, no use anyone getting their panties in a bunch arguing over conjecture, time will reveal soon enough.

Fair enough?

Yes. I am saying that because most of Hundley's sacks are on him. Not on the offensive line. Same with Gabbert for Mizzou. I love Mizzou, I love most of the players there, but I never, ever liked Gabbert as a prospect.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yes. I am saying that because most of Hundley's sacks are on him. Not on the offensive line. Same with Gabbert for Mizzou. I love Mizzou, I love most of the players there, but I never, ever liked Gabbert as a prospect.

It's true many sacks were on BH, imo far more were not. (Never really paid attention to Gabbert so I have no meaningful comment on the co-relation)

Hell, I can recall him getting sacked 10 times vs Utah (in one game) Still drove the Bruins down the field, but for a missed FG as time expired(48 ydr) woulda been a helluva comeback.

It's really hard for me to comprehend an observer with...let's say 5 Ucla games watched could not come away with the notion that the Bruins (especially early in the season) had major pass protection issues.

Memento

Name
Jemma
It's true many sacks were on BH, imo far more were not. (Never really paid attention to Gabbert so I have no meaningful comment on the co-relation)

Hell, I can recall him getting sacked 10 times vs Utah (in one game) Still drove the Bruins down the field, but for a missed FG as time expired(48 ydr) woulda been a helluva comeback.

It's really hard for me to comprehend an observer with...let's say 5 Ucla games watched could not come away with the notion that the Bruins (especially early in the season) had major pass protection issues.

They didn't have many issues in 2013, and Hundley still got sacked a ton. I know that the line was worse in 2014, but there's no excuse for taking as many sacks as he did. He just doesn't throw the ball away or check down. He always looks for the home run play, and that concerns me a lot. Sometimes, a sack can be even more devastating than a fumble or an interception. Those bad passes that he threw in college? They're going to get picked off in the NFL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

This guy will be one that a lot of scouts "missed" on in 3 years...

They didn't have many issues in 2013, and Hundley still got sacked a ton.
UCLA has had a terrible offensive line for 2 years straight...I believe the 2012 line was bad too....UCLA had a very below average team before Hundley arrived. I question whether he is not better than MM. The only reason he's discussed as a "project" is due to the pistol offense. Put him at Stanford, he'd be in the conversation for top 15 selection. The guy can play, taking sacks is NOT always on the QB, as with most issues, there are a combination of factors involved in negative plays...There is no way a guy completes 69% of his passes in one of the toughest conferences in the nation, is guaranteed to fail at the next level. All he needs is the right system & the right patience around him.
He's much better than the 2 QB's that are listed with him (Grayson & Petty)....I actually like Petty a lil, not a lot...Doesn't seem serious enough, something I can't put my finger on. Hundley is a stud athlete, and reminds me of Cam Newton....Just too good to fail...

WestCoastRam

Legend
Appreciate the enthusiasm of the OP but have to disagree and say this QB class is below average. None of the QBs aside from the top two should be picked before the 3rd.... and even then, only because QB is a premium position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a lot of QB classes are going to look like this, i.e. be filled with QBs that need to develop NFL skills. Teams that succeed will take raw talent and develop it until they find their guy.

So no change for me. Petty has the skills you want just needs time. If he is off the board too early then Grayson could fit, since the offense the Rams will be running won't require a guy with a cannon.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

You are not considering the type of offense he ran ..... a spread that was predicated on short passes & you only went long when the defense made a big effort to took it away.

My perception is that the is that the Rams OB stacked in the following

Winston & Mariota ..... Rd 1
Hundley.. Round 2-3
Mannion.. Round 4
Bridge.... 6- FA
I have a gut feeling that Ram's will come out of this with a West Coast QB.
Mariota should cost too much (but you never no what Kronke will mandate. I am betty that Hundley or Mannion are selected. Do not underestimate their (Snead/Fisher) love for tall QBs. Mannion 4 yr experience in a pro style offense is more impressive than Grayson (and his 6'2" height.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Leftcoast, I'm not an SC fan, let's see what happens in the draft, a lot of publications get it wrong, I might get it wrong. I do think that these guys are not good QB's but because the position is at a premium, we're all overrating them. I actually think none should be drafted before the 4th but I'm taking into account the fact that the importance of the position and lack of available talent in the league will push them up a round.

I'd love someone to look into this but I think we might be seeing some confirmation bias affecting QB status. These guys need a lot of work and some of the guys may not even need work, they lack the accuracy, athleticism, arm strength, and processing ability to be more than backups. Because it's the single most important position on a football team, I do believe that non-talent and need based bias is pushing them up.

PS. Draft publications have a built in incentive to boost stories, sexy positions, alternative view-points, etc... lots of bias that can affect things. Oh, and I've got my own bias too!!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
This guy will be one that a lot of scouts "missed" on in 3 years...

UCLA has had a terrible offensive line for 2 years straight...I believe the 2012 line was bad too....UCLA had a very below average team before Hundley arrived. I question whether he is not better than MM. The only reason he's discussed as a "project" is due to the pistol offense. Put him at Stanford, he'd be in the conversation for top 15 selection. The guy can play, taking sacks is NOT always on the QB, as with most issues, there are a combination of factors involved in negative plays...There is no way a guy completes 69% of his passes in one of the toughest conferences in the nation, is guaranteed to fail at the next level. All he needs is the right system & the right patience around him.
He's much better than the 2 QB's that are listed with him (Grayson & Petty)....I actually like Petty a lil, not a lot...Doesn't seem serious enough, something I can't put my finger on. Hundley is a stud athlete, and reminds me of Cam Newton....Just too good to fail...

I wanted to just bold a sentence or two, but that was just too well said.

I pretty much reserve football related opinions unless they're my own (not parroting some dipstick writer or "scout") I like to think that I've watched enough football in my lifetime to recognize a first round talent when I see one.

Again...time will reveal

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
2016 looks so much better. Hope it doesnt take a downward turn like this years class. Really hope we dont draft a QB this year. I am fine going with Foles/Keenum/Davis this year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd love to see some All-22 on Hundley. It really doesn't look like he processes the field well (and that is a big contributor to his sacks). I know some people will disagree. I'm guessing he might go behind Petty, Grayson, and Mannion.

<ducks as hatchets fly>

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Tell the truth, you took a shot before you typed this?

LMAO, honestly, ive taken about 10 so far today lololol. You know me far to well my friend.

What I meant was that I dont see any Qb that we are able to get(we wont get Winston or Mariota) that is good enough to be a true future starter and supplant Foles or Keenum. Next years class is much better. There are about 5 QB's in next years draft that I would take right now over Grayson/Petty/Mannion/Hundley etc.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are not considering the type of offense he ran ..... a spread that was predicated on short passes & you only went long when the defense made a big effort to took it away.

My perception is that the is that the Rams OB stacked in the following

Winston & Mariota ..... Rd 1
Hundley.. Round 2-3
Mannion.. Round 4
Bridge.... 6- FA
I have a gut feeling that Ram's will come out of this with a West Coast QB.
Mariota should cost too much (but you never no what Kronke will mandate. I am betty that Hundley or Mannion are selected. Do not underestimate their (Snead/Fisher) love for tall QBs. Mannion 4 yr experience in a pro style offense is more impressive than Grayson (and his 6'2" height.

If anything, four years of experience is less impressive when the guy with less experience is already a better QB on the field.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
If anything, four years of experience is less impressive when the guy with less experience is already a better QB on the field.

Weak schedule for Grayson... And for all the hype about UCLA players... who is killing it know?