2015 Player Progression

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I just hope all of our players take a step forward this year, EVERYONE needed an improvement. Coaching staff included.

It comes to something when our punter is the best player on a team ;)

With regards to the slow pick up from Austin, and Quick etc. Does it show that our WR coaching staff, just isn't that great?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Depends. If Austin starts picking it up way faster (and we draft someone else, who also picks it up faster) I think it would be more an indictment on Shotty's overly convoluted and complicated WR system.
I mean, that's certainly possible, but I doubt his playbook was any more complicated or intricate than this one.
http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/pro-offense/1999-St-Louis-Rams-Offense.pdf

The difference being, in 1999 everyone on offense was pretty damn smart, and we had a QB who was phenomenal.
The past few years we had who on offense here who could be considered really smart (football IQ)? Amendola and Bradford are the only ones who come to mind.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Greg Robinson: I'm tempering expectations. Most of his "whiffs" in 2014 where rushers got big hits on the QB were mental errors or lapses in technique. The athletic talent is undeniable, but I'd pump the breaks on people hoping for the next Pace. I expect him to be an average to slightly above average LT in 2015.
I expect that GR's play will improve greatly!
Barrett Jones: Idk, not hugely optimistic. Imo Barnes (if resigned) may still beat him out and coaches are high on Rhaney. Not expecting him to start and if he does, expecting him as more of a 1-2 year stop gap. Anything more will impress me.
Yes center Tim Barnes is highly probable to be resigned & is also more likely to cease the starting center post in TC. At the same time I expect Barrett Jones skills & versatility will play a major role in Boudreau's 2015 OL. Remember this & hold me to it!
EJ Gaines: If he didn't already break out in 2014, 2015 is the year. He has great instincts, plays through the whistle, and tackles very well. Imo could be a dark horse Pro Bowl candidate.
This is your best Ram starting CB who will be teamed with Jenkins, leaving Trumaine Johnson to look for a starting secondary post in the Ram secondary. Trumaine will look to contend with Rodney McLeod @ deep safety. Johnson's skills & talent are not a good fit @ Nickle post.
Lamarcus Joyner: Idk what to expect. Suffered from injuries and was never able to get a string of games going in 2014. If he can stay healthy I can see him getting snaps at nickel and possibly playing a similar role as Barron. Joyner breaking out would be huge for this team.
I would expect that Gregg Williams to continue to play a very heavy 3 CB & 3 safeties defense in 2015. I would expect that Joyner will maintain his starting Nickle post position over the deep safety position. The Joyner selection in the 2nd rd of the 2014 draft will pay large dividends this season.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thoughts in red...
Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on who they think will break out for the Rams in 2015. Who will disappoint? Who's breakout will be most significant? How much will these players improve?

My opinion/prediction:

Greg Robinson:
I'm tempering expectations. Most of his "whiffs" in 2014 where rushers got big hits on the QB were mental errors or lapses in technique. The athletic talent is undeniable, but I'd pump the breaks on people hoping for the next Pace. I expect him to be an average to slightly above average LT in 2015.
I'm not sure anyone was thinking he'd be the next Pace. IIRC, Pace was a once in a decade offensive lineman coming out of college. As close to a sure thing as they had.
Robinson is no Orlando Pace and - IMO - never will be.
But I agree with you that he can become a "solid" member of the line.
IMO, it didn't help him that Boudreau decided to flip-flop him all over the place in TC... the kid's head was spinning. I understand about the value of versatility, but not with a rookie that came into the league quasi-one dimensional.

Tavon Austin: Imo it all has to do with the system and the way Tavon is used. I hope that Fish and Co. realize how electric he can be when given 1 on 1 matchups on the outside, stop running him between the tackles, and try designing pick plays for him. Imo we'll see a slightly improved version of 2013 Tavon, which is better than 2014 Tavon.
I don't hold out too much hope for Austin. I thought he was a gimmick when they drafted him and I still think he's a gimmick.
If I see him run sideways on another kick-off, I think I'm going to lose my mind. I think he regressed in the return game over his rookie year... where a few returns for TDs were nullified due to penalties.
As far as a receiver? Read some comments comparing him to Amendola. IIRC, Danny Amendola came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent? You can clearly see he was (and remains) hungry.
I don't see that with Austin. I think a lot of fans got caught up in the media love-fest with him... maybe he did as well.
Then, there's the intelligence angle.
I'm not expecting much from Austin... hoping he proves me wrong.

Stedman Bailey: Our offseason moves at WR will have a big impact on Steddy's role. If we stick with Britt, Quick, & Co. Steddy will likely start week 1 and imo never relinquish his spot. Looked great near the end of 2013 and 2014 and just needs more snaps. Imo he's a candidate for 50 balls, 600+ yards, and 4+ TDs if he starts.
Now, this Mountaineer I did like as a pick. Playing second fiddle to Austin probably stoked a fire in his belly. He has all the tools and enough intelligence to be a major contributor IMO. Just needs to keep his nose clean.

Tre Mason: Idk if Tre's ceiling is much higher than what we saw in 2014, but that ain't a bad thing. He can still improve his pass blocking and if we improve our interior OL he will be more productive in general. If he still gets 60%+ of the carries over 16 I think he gets 1,000 yards easy.
Another pick I have high hopes for. Solid rookie campaign and I believe that if they can shore up that Oline, he can become a consistent 1,000 yard rusher.

Barrett Jones: Idk, not hugely optimistic. Imo Barnes (if resigned) may still beat him out and coaches are high on Rhaney. Not expecting him to start and if he does, expecting him as more of a 1-2 year stop gap. Anything more will impress me.
Agree on him... not expecting much. Maybe depth material but it wouldn't surprise me if he's gone from the Rams (and maybe even football) after 20156

EJ Gaines: If he didn't already break out in 2014, 2015 is the year. He has great instincts, plays through the whistle, and tackles very well. Imo could be a dark horse Pro Bowl candidate.
Want to see more of him. Potential is certainly there.

Janoris Jenkins: More of the same in 2015, with slightly fewer blunders hopefully. Should play well enough to warrant a second contract with the Rams.
If you've read any of my posts regarding Janoris (spelled it right this time :)), I am not of the belief he will improve over what he currently is: an undisciplined player who is hard to teach. JMO... but I feel he is more interested in what happens to him than what happens to the team... IOW, selfish.

Alec Ogletree: Idk if he'll ever be dominant like a Wagner or David, but what we saw in the back half of 2014 was what a consistent Ogletree could do. Still needs to work on shedding blocks, high tackles, and blown assignments, but should take a small step forward in 2015.
If he can:
* Become more disciplined (including his off season regimine ;))
* Stay out of trouble
If he can do those things, I think he can become one of the top LBs in the NFL. Athletically gifted!

TJ McDonald: 2014 was his break out. Imo he's near his ceiling, but he's a solid enough player. Great around the LOS and imposes his will on ball carriers.
Solid, if not spectacular player.

Lamarcus Joyner: Idk what to expect. Suffered from injuries and was never able to get a string of games going in 2014. If he can stay healthy I can see him getting snaps at nickel and possibly playing a similar role as Barron. Joyner breaking out would be huge for this team.

Not sure either... needs more time.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is your best Ram starting CB who will be teamed with Jenkins, leaving Trumaine Johnson to look for a starting secondary post in the Ram secondary. Trumaine will look to contend with Rodney McLeod @ deep safety. Johnson's skills & talent are not a good fit @ Nickle post.

I don't think so. When we went into nickel situations last year, we bumped EJ inside to cover the slot and Tru played outside. I expect more of the same in 2015. I like EJ and Jenks in our base, but Tru is solid on the outside when we switch to nickel situations.

As for the positional change, I just don't see it. I think McLeod starts again next year and if anyone switches to FS it will be Joyner. I think the FS depth chart will look something like: 1) McLeod 2) Joyner 3) Alexander and SS will be: 1) McDonald 2) Barron 3) Alexander. I just don't really see the Rams viewing FS as a big issue to address. I think they're happy with in house options and a positional change for Tru would make little sense during his contract year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think so. When we went into nickel situations last year, we bumped EJ inside to cover the slot and Tru played outside. I expect more of the same in 2015. I like EJ and Jenks in our base, but Tru is solid on the outside when we switch to nickel situations.

As for the positional change, I just don't see it. I think McLeod starts again next year and if anyone switches to deep safety it will be Joyner. I think the FS depth chart will look something like: 1) McLeod 2) Joyner 3) Alexander and SS will be: 1) McDonald 2) Barron 3) Alexander. I just don't really see the Rams viewing FS as a big issue to address. I think they're happy with in house options and a positional change for Tru would make little sense during his contract year.

I agree that Rodney will be the starting deep/free safety going into TC. I also agree that the DC Gregg sure does not see the FS post as being weak. Gregg has several DB's who could be that deep free DB like McLeod, Cody Davis, Lamarcus Joyner & like I said Trumaine Johnson. Gregg is also thick @ SS with TJ McDonald, Mark Barron, Mo Alexander & Christian Bryant. So Safety is far from a concern.

Gregg will get 3rd yr CB Brandon McGee who is the fastest DB but has been injury prone his first two yrs. Roberson who finished 3 games as a starting CB was a surprise too. Joyner was Jeff's & Gregg's ideal big pick to be their Nickle-Back. They used two picks to make this selection early. I saw nothing in Joyner's play in his rookie season that would force Fisher & Gregg to deviate from their plan, do you?

It is my opinion that the only DB who suffered a poor overall year in play was Trumaine Johnson. Not sure if it was due to Johnson's early knee injury or what but Johnson's play as the season went on was dismal late.

Until Gaines was injured late in the season, Gaines had thoroughly beat Johnson out of his starting post. I do not see Gregg moving the better corner Gaines inside to the Nickle & replace their best corner Gaines with Johnson. When Joyner was healthy Joyner was the was the starting Nickle. That's how I saw it & this is how I see this starting unit in 2015:

CB-Jenkins/Roberson
CB-Gaines/Johnson
Nickle-Joyner/McGee/(McLeod)
SS-McDonald/Barron/Alexander/Bryant
FS-McLeod/Davis(Johnson & Joyner)

jjab360

Legend
Johnson is a pure boundary CB imo and he's actually pretty good at it when healthy. I didn't think he played all that poorly last year anyways, but I kind of tuned out late in the year tbh. As for a transition to S I haven't seen or heard anything anywhere since he was drafted to make me think that was a possibility..

Gaines was pretty good at nickel CB iirc so I'm thinking he plays there with Jenkins/Johnson on the outside and Joyner at dimeback and rotating at safety if/when everyone's healthy.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that Rodney will be the starting deep/free safety going into TC. I also agree that the DC Gregg sure does not see the FS post as being weak. Gregg has several DB's who could be that deep free DB like McLeod, Cody Davis, Lamarcus Joyner & like I said Trumaine Johnson. Gregg is also thick @ SS with TJ McDonald, Mark Barron, Mo Alexander & Christian Bryant. So Safety is far from a concern.

Gregg will get 3rd yr CB Brandon McGee who is the fastest DB but has been injury prone his first two yrs. Roberson who finished 3 games as a starting CB was a surprise too. Joyner was Jeff's & Gregg's ideal big pick to be their Nickle-Back. They used two picks to make this selection early. I saw nothing in Joyner's play in his rookie season that would force Fisher & Gregg to deviate from their plan, do you?

It is my opinion that the only DB who suffered a poor overall year in play was Trumaine Johnson. Not sure if it was due to Johnson's early knee injury or what but Johnson's play as the season went on was dismal late.

Until Gaines was injured late in the season, Gaines had thoroughly beat Johnson out of his starting post. I do not see Gregg moving the better corner Gaines inside to the Nickle & replace their best corner Gaines with Johnson. When Joyner was healthy Joyner was the was the starting Nickle. That's how I saw it & this is how I see this starting unit in 2015:

CB-Jenkins/Roberson
CB-Gaines/Johnson
Nickle-Joyner/McGee/(McLeod)
SS-McDonald/Barron/Alexander/Bryant
FS-McLeod/Davis(Johnson & Joyner)

I certainly can't argue with your scenario. I'd be fine if it played out that way. Plus its rare you make it through 16 with your starting 3 CBs playing every game. I certainly think Joyner has the skill set to be great in the slot or at FS, just hope he can stay healthy because he was set back last year due various injuries.

Imo McGee is going to have an uphill battle to make the squad and if he does, I don't think he is higher than 6 on the depth chart. Roberson, as you said, showed some real promise and imo has a similar skill set to Tru (build, length, tackling ability) with a bit more range. He's a solid spot starter for being a #4 CB.