2015 Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Robinson / Kyle Long / Jones / Larry Warford / Barksdale.

Of course that involves building a time machine, going back to 2013, not trading up for a gimmick player we have no idea how to use and building the OL instead, which is unlikely but no less likely than Long, Saffold and Wells playing a full season was at the start of 2014 and we somehow believed that would happen.

xander47

Rookie
With the current regime, I can't imagine Barksdale being signed. They like "versatile" offensive lineman and Barksdale is only a RT. And seriously for a regime that says it likes to fix units per draft. It's TIME to invest in the rest of the o-line.

BTW Anyone who watched the game, any input on how Jones played?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Unless the Rams have good reason for not wanting to pay Barksdale, I don't see the 2015 O-Line being something to panic about at this particular time. Losing JLong & Wells next season is going to create a good deal of CAP space, and we already have Long's permanent replacement on-board, the same may also be true at Center. Barrett Jones will more than likely become our starting LG or C, so the Rams will probably be fine just replacing one of those two positions thru either free agency or the draft. Sure, we'll require some added depth to back-up the starters, but I don't see us quite as desperate as some would have us believe. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
BTW Anyone who watched the game, any input on how Jones played?

In the 2'nd half, seems as if the Chiefs were in the Rams backfield on almost every play. Barksdale was rolled up consistently, and once Wells, Saffold & JLong were out it only got worse. Pretty hard to judge an O-Line which totally collapsed, but it did appear to me that the right side of the line was getting the worst of it. Davis was on the run most all of the time, and even the announcers were wondering aloud why our OC didn't create plays which would help him get rid of the ball quicker. What I saw towards the end was a line playing together for the first time:
LT - Robinson
LG - Person
C - Jones
RG - D.Joseph
RT - Barksdale

From my viewpoint the camera angles made it easier to watch Robinson than Jones, and he seemed to be holding his own. I wish I could have more easily spotted Jones/Person, but it just wasn't to be. Barksdale may have had his worst day as a Ram ... Joseph should just quietly retire. jmo.

BadCompany

Rookie
If Bradford is willing to take a ridiculous pay cut/re-structure then I go O-line with our first two picks. First three picks if we pull another trade-down for an extra second rounder. I see no point in drafting a QB high if we can't protect him, or generate a top-tier run game to draw some pressure off of him. A Bradford/Davis combo brings with it a whole new set of problems and uncertainties but what are you going to do? If we have a good offensive line then either one of them should be good enough to manage a game, with potential upside. If the offensive line is good, but Bradford still gets hurt and Davis proves to be a small-sample wonder then we draft a QB high two years from now, in 2016. Yeah, I know another lost season. But like I said, no point in drafting a QB to get beaten up.

You need a strong foundation to have a good house. Right now our offensive foundation is weak, so it's no wonder the house collapses.

On the other hand, if Bradford refuses the pay cut then you have to let him go and draft a QB high. I'd still try the trade down for another second round pick, but if not I go O-line in the first round, QB in the second, and O-line in the third.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I agree. Drafting a QB high, perhaps losing additional picks to get him, and then sticking him behind a junk line is not wise. Stick him back there absorbing hits, and then expect him to have the maturity to deliver AND provide leadership to a leaderless team is not living in reality, IMO. It didn't work with Bradford, I doubt it works with someone else not named Luck or coached by the Cardinals HC. Never mind what I think of the maturity level of the top rated QB. OLine first, QB and LB in mid rounds, try to resign Bradford or barring that Hill at reduced rates, resign Davis. It's not a sexy as drafting another top 3 QB, but it'll work better.

lockdnram21

Legend
I would try and trade back in the first. If there is a good Qb to draft once we trade back take him. Then in the 2nd round take Lb and G. 3rd round take Center.

lockdnram21

Legend
Joyner might play FS this year because of the injuries (depending on when Tru and JJ get back) but Fish says no. They didn't even have him practice any S in TC and the preseason. I think they think he'd be good against the pass but not so good against the run. Huge part of a safety's job. Gaines has been decent for a rookie but there's no one after him and look at how many healthy CBs we have right now. I don't see it happening. Although I was kind of hoping for that when we drafted him but that was mainly because I really wanted to fill our hole at safety.
i disagree about him not being good against run. Hes a sure tackler and i think hes better tackler then Mcleod.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We're going to have to use a mixture of draft picks and free agents (and we should have plenty of cap room for the latter with Wells and Long gone, and with Bradford either gone or playing on a significantly reduced salary). In free agency though we should only go for guys who don't have any extensive injury history. I would consider trades too. One way or another, this sh!t has to be fixed, dammit.

AZRamsFan93

If Bradford is willing to take a ridiculous pay cut/re-structure then I go O-line with our first two picks. First three picks if we pull another trade-down for an extra second rounder. I see no point in drafting a QB high if we can't protect him, or generate a top-tier run game to draw some pressure off of him. A Bradford/Davis combo brings with it a whole new set of problems and uncertainties but what are you going to do? If we have a good offensive line then either one of them should be good enough to manage a game, with potential upside. If the offensive line is good, but Bradford still gets hurt and Davis proves to be a small-sample wonder then we draft a QB high two years from now, in 2016. Yeah, I know another lost season. But like I said, no point in drafting a QB to get beaten up.

You need a strong foundation to have a good house. Right now our offensive foundation is weak, so it's no wonder the house collapses.

On the other hand, if Bradford refuses the pay cut then you have to let him go and draft a QB high. I'd still try the trade down for another second round pick, but if not I go O-line in the first round, QB in the second, and O-line in the third.
There is a major question if Bradford would be available to play regardless of his contract situation. Way too much risk, and by the time they know what his situation is the draft is long gone. We need to draft QB and O-Line - and LB.

Alan

Legend
lockdnram21 with his view:
i disagree about him not being good against run. Hes a sure tackler and i think hes better tackler then Mcleod.
Here are the FSs in our division:
Rams
Joyner 5'8" 184 lbs

Mcleod 5'10" 195 lbs
Shehags
Thomas 5'10" 202 lbs
Whiners
Reid 6'1" 213 lbs
Cards
Johnson 5'11" 204 lbs

I'm not sure if I see someone of his size surviving at FS long term. Doesn't matter what either of us thinks though because Fisher has said it's not happening. Nothing is set in stone but like I said, I don't see it. I think it more likely that Mo will come in and play as a SS and McDonald will do the FS duties.

jjab360

Legend
Joyner might play FS this year because of the injuries (depending on when Tru and JJ get back) but Fish says no. They didn't even have him practice any S in TC and the preseason. I think they think he'd be good against the pass but not so good against the run. Huge part of a safety's job. Gaines has been decent for a rookie but there's no one after him and look at how many healthy CBs we have right now. I don't see it happening. Although I was kind of hoping for that when we drafted him but that was mainly because I really wanted to fill our hole at safety.
Didn't Joyner play safety Sunday after Mcleod and Davis went down? I also remember him playing some S in TC or maybe that was OTAs. Either way, you're off about Joyner being weak against the run, it's probably his best attribute.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 with his recollections:
Didn't Joyner play safety Sunday after Mcleod and Davis went down? I also remember him playing some S in TC or maybe that was OTAs. Either way, you're off about Joyner being weak against the run, it's probably his best attribute.
Jenkins is/was doing well in run support too but that doesn't mean he'd make a good safety . Plus, if you look at my next post I mentioned that I didn't think he had the body to be a FS "someone of his size surviving at FS long term". So while tackling might me his strong point (never said it wasn't), that's immaterial to my view about his future as a FS.

As for the game itself, he might of filled in temporarily but the emphasis is on "temporarily". With a week to get actual S up to speed, I doubt we'll see him there.

I didn't ever see or hear of him playing safety in TC or the preseason. In fact, what I heard were many complaints that he didn't. I was probably one of those who were whining about it. :LOL:

Although, if JJ and Tru come back and they're desperate...

Last edited:

jdhommert

Rookie
I still think most of you are over reacting on not wanting to draft a QB and taking nothing but OL. 1st of all if you want a franchise QB, you take one in the 1st round, the higher the better. Very very rare to find examples that can lead you to the promise land outside of the 1st round. If we are set at OT next season, especially LT then why would we take a OL in the 1st? Especially considering we'll be drafting top 5-10. If we are set at tackle do you really want them to take an OG that high? RT even? If we didn't have Robinson I'd be all in on taking a LT high as I'm a huge huge believer in building the line and the OL is the most important aspect of a team.

1st of all this ignores what lots would argue is our biggest need, LB

2nd of all people are acting like we need 4 OL....

LT will be Grob no matter what

LG is a hole. We've known that for months as Robinson will kick out to LT, cut long so we'll need a replacement. Should be able to get one in the 2nd or 3rd. Could even sign one.

C Obviously we cut Wells. Fisher said Jones looked good and was impressed with his line calls and such. Lets give him a chance before wanting to flush him down the toliet. Barnes is an option...but you can get starting centers much later in the draft so I'm not too worried. Honestly I think Jones very well can be the guy going forward, but we just have to wait and see. Could sign a guy too.

RG-It's going to be Saffold going into next year unless he's out long term. Thats a fact just like Robinson being at LT. He's great when he's in and they aren't going to cut or replace him. Not yet. He just got a decent contract and he's great when he's in, OL is poor when he's out. He's usually in there but we just get aggervated because he gets nicked up so often. I'm with you, but we aren't going to cut him and replace him. A front office wont admit a mistake that fast, even if it is one. I don't really think it was a huge mistake. Had to fill a guard spot in FA and Saffold was by far the best option.

RT Barksdale has been the best player on our line for over a year now. Yes he was awful on Sunday but I can't even remember another game where he was bad. He's been solid to great for a while now and has been the most reliable/best OL we've had for a while now. Yet everyone wants him cut and never to return for next season, rest of the season performance be damned. Let's base it all on one game. :lol:

Let's wait and see how the remaining 60% of the season plays out before we want to replace 80% of our OL, and ignore the rest of the team/payroll/draft

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I know Robinson was drafted to eventually play LT but to me his body type looks more like a guard.