2015 NFL draft to be held in either Los Angeles or Chicago

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Roger Goodell: NFL to hold 2015 draft in Los Angeles or Chicago
Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 17, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpty0mge5ytk3yti5ntexnmfindazzjywm2i4ogq1ztiz-e1405646373138.jpeg
AP

In a break from tradition, the NFL won’t hold the draft in New York next year.

Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated Thursday the league will choose between Los Angeles or Chicago as a host site for the 2015 NFL Draft, according to Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times.

“We’re focusing solely on Los Angeles and Chicago now,” Goodell said, the Times reported.

According to the Times, Goodell said a decision on a host site was slated for “late summer,” but he noted the league could take more time if needed. The commissioner said that New York’s Radio City Music Hall was not available for the event in the times needed next spring, thus taking the United States’ most populous city out of the mix, per the Times.

Goodell also said the league was weighing ways to “strengthen the last day” of the draft, with the commissioner noting the idea of clubs perhaps even announcing last-day picks at their headquarters was among those on the table, according to the Times.

Goodell reportedly made his remarks at an event for CBS, which will air “Thursday Night Football” in 2014.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Thanks for posting these stories PT!

I'm glad they're taking the draft on the road. It was starting to feel a little hum drum in NYC every year.

Chicago might be pretty cool. Maybe the Aragon Ballroom or the Metro?

RFIP

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11230109/los-angeles-chicago-finalists-host-2015-nfl-draft

It's down to the Windy City or the City of Angels.

The 2015 NFL draft will take place in Chicago or Los Angeles, commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday.

New York City also had been considered, but Goodell said it has been ruled out. Sources previously told ESPN that scheduling issues had made New York -- the regular home of the draft -- the least likely option.

"We're focusing solely on Los Angeles and Chicago now," Goodell told reporters Thursday, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Radio City Music Hall, the usual host venue in New York, could not offer available dates in April or May, Goodell said. The 2015 draft is expected to take place either April 22-25 or April 29-May 2.

"We had 12 cities that were interested," Goodell said. "We felt the best thing to do was focus on the three cities, because they had such a tremendous interest. There are very attractive aspects to each of those cities. Because we don't have the appropriate dates in May, our focus is completely on Los Angeles and Chicago.

"They both have tremendous bids."

Goodell did not provide a timetable on when the NFL would make its decision.

"I just got an update two days ago," he said. "I believe the decision will come in late summer, but we're not going to be bound by that. We're going to do the right thing."

Goodell also said the league is investigating scenarios if the draft moves from three days to four.

"We're talking about different concepts, primarily how to strengthen the last day and whether we should maybe push that back to the clubs a little bit more and allow the clubs to have a little bit more freedom as more of a club day," he said. "Maybe they would announce the picks from there. We're looking at everything under the sun, because there's a great interest in it and we want to do something that's more responsive to our fans."

This year's draft was held May 8-10, a couple of weeks later than it had been traditionally in the past.

Multiple teams told Goodell that they felt rushed by the change -- not so much for the added buildup, but for the lack of time on the back end; they want more time to be able to get their rookies ready and build their rosters.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I just don't understand the 4-day thing. That's just silliness.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's just hope for April 22-25 and root for Chicago becuase IMO if it's on the West Coast they'll be starting it at 11:00pm EST or 10:00pm CST. I'm sure they adjust, but I have a feeling it will be Los Angeles as the NFL throws Tinseltown a bone.

Let's just hope for April 22-25 and root for Chicago becuase IMO if it's on the West Coast they'll be starting it at 11:00pm EST or 10:00pm CST. I'm sure they adjust, but I have a feeling it will be Los Angeles as the NFL throws Tinseltown a bone.

God that would be horrible, a 4am start for me :eek: I'd have to record it and then watch it the next day, which kind of ruins it.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm on board for the 22-25. April 29-May 2 is Derby weekend and the draft is cool and all but a lot less people have money on the line for the draft.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
April 22-25 in Chicago please, if it is in Chicago I might try to go.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Please do it in Chicago. The city doesn't bother me, the format does.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think St Louis or KC should be next and then Denver,ther's already too much centered on the east coast ,I also think they need to go to 2 divisions in each conferance add four teams and a a playoff game and have a hot dog eating contest at the SB halftime

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't care if they have it in Greenland. Just move it back to April.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Might be the only thing positive for me since I moved to Chicago. A boy can only dream!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The good news is that you should in all likely hood see more Rams fans at the draft this way. If it is in LA you old timers need to be there! If It is in Chicago I would make the drive (assuming no other conflicts obviously).