2015 is the Year of the Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bEUBOoS.jpg

It’s time.

Sure, I have been saying this is the Rams year for years, because that’s what expected on SKA. Fake it, until you make it, as it were. OSS is despairing, because he keeps thinking the Rams are going to break out…and they haven’t. Charlie, Munkey, and Rae keep saying the negative about the Rams because it suits their trolling purposes…and it’s more likely true than not, for a struggling team to fail than to succeed. That is, until they finally break out against all expectations. Now is such a time for the Rams.

Defense:

Yes, the Dline is All-World. Long, Brockers, Donald, Fairley, and Quinn are all first round talent. This is arguably the best line in the NFL, which few of you doubt. The LBers are really good too. Ogletree, Laurinaitis, and Ayers…..We know that Ogletree is developing into something special, and Laurinaitis is a good MLB…But what about Ayers? Brought in from the Patriots, and drafted by the Titans..Ayers has shown the ability to rush the passer and recorded 4 sacks last year with the Patriots, which Rotoworld says may be a new toy for Williams. Corners struggled somewhat early last year, trying to adjust to Greg William’s system. “We might have installed too much,” said HC Jeff Fisher. The whole defense struggled in the first half of the season, as explained by Nick Waggoner:

Over the final eight games, the Rams were tied for fourth in sacks with 26, fifth in average points allowed at 16.8 and fourth in run defense at 84.4 yards per game allowed. All of that after a group of mostly the same personnel struggled through the first eight games, ranking 23rd in sacks, 27th in points allowed per game and 29th in run defense.

EJ Gaines was the Rams best CB as a rookie, and will continue to start, along with fellow corner Janoris Jenkins. I thought Gaines did a great job as a rookie and should only get better. Jenkins just flat pisses me off. Dude has great talent, but gets burned when he takes too many chances going for the INT. They did better in the second half, along with the defense as a whole (27th in points allowed in the 1st eight games, vs 5th in points allowed in the second half of the season….sorry, Charlie). Mcdonald is doing great at Strong Safety, while Mcleod was the weak link of the defense. Mcleod tries hard and HITS hard, which I like. He just isn’t as athletic as I want. Our Dline will cover for Mcleod, by killing quarterbacks within three seconds…Mcleod, however, might prevent us from shutting out opponents every game….ha!

Offense:

Our biggest weakness was Oline and Quarterback going into the 2015 Offseason, both of which were addressed in vigorous fashion. With Bradford going down a second time with a torn ACL in Preseason, the Rams were forced to play with Back Up QB’s Austin Davis and Shawn Hill. Neither will ever be a legit starting QB in the league. Davis might develop into a good back up in the coming year(s), and Shawn Hill is long gone. Out goes the eternally injured Sam Bradford, for a decent QB in Nick Foles. Foles will not be confused for Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers, but he is light years better than what we had last year. Both backups last year gave up critical interceptions that lost games. Foles will not be asked to constantly win games with his arm, but he can deliver a strike downfield and isn’t afraid to do so (like Bradford). Sean Mannion comes from a pro style offense, so the learning curve is much shorter than spread style QB’s. If the Rams Oline doesn’t gel quickly enough, we may see Mannion sooner than later if Foles get killed. Having said that, I am excited about this kid Mannion. Great attitude and is a smart hard worker that can make all of the throws. He spent his off season learning a quicker release , and Fisher noted that he had improved in this regard.

Of course the biggest change on the team was the drafting of Georgia RB Todd Gurley. He was considered to be the best talent in the draft, if he hadn’t torn his ACL, and would have been picked top five. Gurley has been described as the best RB to come out since Adrian Peterson, by “experts.” Scout, and former Rams RB great Lawrence McCutcheon is beyond thrilled about this kid. He is everything you want in a bell cow RB, which is what Fisher wanted, McCutcheon said. McCutcheon gushed when talking about Gurley, and looks like Gurley will wear his old #30 in the NFL. For myself, I think Gurley has the size and speed to gain yards between the tackles and around the edge. IF the Rams Oline can punch holes in the opposing Dline, Gurley will be breaking away for OROY and maybe ROY honors at years end. Still recovering from his ACL surgery (and well ahead of schedule per Dr Andrews), the Rams also have Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham. This group of RB’s (when all healthy), may be the best group in the NFL. Mason will benefit greatly having huge young Olinemen to run block, unlike last year. He will not want to give up his starter position from last year, so expect him to put up big numbers vs the Seahawks in Week One. Cunningham is a faster version of the departed Zac Stacy, and will be used in 3rd down situations.

Wide Receiver Group is another unit that Charlie & Co. likes to dog, is not a bad group. What’s funny is that they were a better group than Seattle (right Charlie?). Brian Quick was finally coming into his own as a possible #1 WR. He was using his size and physicality to go up for the ball. It was all due to the influence of fellow WR Kenny Britt, which made the Britt pick up well worth it by itself. Unfortunately, Quick injured his shoulder severely, and was out for the season (dammit!). Kenny Britt did a good job, considering who we had throwing to him. Stedman Bailey’s progress was slowed by his two game suspension, but came on later in the season. Tavon Austin still wasn’t properly used by the former OC Brian Schottenheimer, and was used as a returner gadget guy mostly. Givens may be on the bubble, and may lose out to rookie Bud Sasser. Tight Ends like Cook, Kendricks and Harkey did a decent job. Cook disappeared in games at times, but Kendricks is a sure handed receiver when you need it. I love Cory Harkey , as he is a great blocker and good receiver (rather have him than Mr Softie Graham, eh Munkey?). We are a running football team, so this isn’t the dominant part of our Offense. Our WR’s are STILL better than Seattles, and we now have a couple of QB’s that can get the ball to them….

Offensive Line. This group will determine if the Rams make the Playoffs, or not. Reading Left to right…LT Greg Robinson – LG Rodger Saffold – C Tim Barnes – RG Jamon Brown – RT Rob Havenstein. Robinson did well last year, considering that OL Coach Boudrieu was training a rookie at two positions simultaneously (bad move). He was first slotted at LG, before Jake Long was injured (again) and Robinson was put in at LT. He struggled at first but did better by years end. Robinson’s true greatness may become evident this year as he concentrates in the offseason as the teams LT. Saffold’s injury history is mostly when he played the Tackle position, and has become a helluva NFL Guard. Tim Barnes played when Scott Wells was injured last year, but may get supplanted by former Alabama standout Barrett Jones. Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein are rookies. Brown is huge, and Havenstein is even BIGGER. Both were trained in pro style offenses in college in run first offenses. Brown will start at RG and should do well. Havenstein is from that Oline factory at Wisconsin, and never had a holding penalty called against him all last year (ie, he wasn’t beaten that much). Overall it’s a young line. Coach Boo has a huge job ahead of him….But as bad as our Oline was last year with oft injured/degraded starting veterans (Long, Wells, and Harvey Dahl) and so-so starter Joe Barksdale..I like the new guys. They are all huge men who will not be bullied, as they all have a nasty disposition. They will get schooled sometimes as they learn, but I am confident they will be able to open holes in the run game for Gurley and Mason….THIS is the make or break Group.

Special Teams…..Watch out Hawk fans when Johnny Hekker is back to punt, and the Rams line up with a 4 wide receiver set..lol

You must wonder why I didn’t pick on the Niner homers and the Card homers…It’s no fun to pick on the Niners. Because of the train wreck they are(BS, Imma be merciless!) …They lost half their team to retirement (BORLAND!) and their HC ….Yet, Tomsula shall lead them (lol). As for the Cards, Keal said he’d shut this site down if I did. Suffice to say we shall pass up this fine team on the way to dethroning the Hawks in 2015….Well, we MIGHT dethrone the Hawks…If 11 wins gets it done, then consider it won….RAMS baby!

Even Charlie struck a pose, in approval!(My vision of CharlietheUnicorn, Hawks homer)

wKYMjB3.jpg

Originally submitted to http://spikedkoolaid.com by me.

Last edited:

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
The OP @LoyalRam drinks the kool aid from the same trough as me. The only point where I'll disagree - put Saffold at the critically important RG spot, Brown (or Garrett Reynolds) in the relatively unimportant LG spot.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The OP @LoyalRam drinks the kool aid from the same trough as me. The only point where I'll disagree - put Saffold at the critically important RG spot, Brown (or Garrett Reynolds) in the relatively unimportant LG spot.
I can live with it :rockon: