2014 Season: Stat Prediction For Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Stat Predictions for the NFL's Top 10 Defensive Rookies
By Curt Popejoy, Featured Columnist

Aaron Donald, DT, St. Louis Rams

The only interior defensive lineman to make this list is St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald. The former Pittsburgh star fell into a great situation by going to the Rams. This group is one of the five best defensive fronts in the league, even before adding Donald to the mix.

Donald is a player who demands a double-team on nearly every play. However, when you have Chris Long, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn with you, that just won’t happen very often. And when it doesn’t, Donald will find a way to beat that single blocker.

Look for Donald to put up nice tackle and sack figures as an interior player. He will most likely be lined up next to Long and should have plenty of plays funneled his way. Donald’s game is all about quickness and closing speed, so there are going to be weeks where he is completely unblockable.

2014 Projection: 46 total tackles and 6.5 sacks

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I was thinking more like 10 sacks and 50 or more tackles with at least 8 for loss.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think you're 'on target' with your 2014 projection of 46 Tkls and 6.5 Sacks, I had him pegged to match Brockers numbers of 2013, 46 tkls and 5.5 sacks!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think you're 'on target' with your 2014 projection of 46 Tkls and 6.5 Sacks, I had him pegged to match Brockers numbers of 2013, 46 tkls and 5.5 sacks!
I was thinking more Sapp like numbers, Brockers is just a different guy ,most his action comes to him ,Donald goes and finds it.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
46 tackles, 17 for loss, 2 forced fumbles, 10 sacks. Donald plays in the offense's backfield. However, as much as those stats look impressive, the are likely more than a dozen times he will run himself out of his gap and the result will be a long play.

jjab360

Legend
I was thinking more Sapp like numbers, Brockers is just a different guy ,most his action comes to him ,Donald goes and finds it.
Exactly. Brockers is a two-gap NT who's job is to hold his ground and clean up what other D-linemen start, Donald's job will be as a 1-gap UT who is supposed to penetrate all game long and let Brockers cover the area he vacates. Donald will always have more impressive sack totals because schematically he's supposed to.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Donald is a player who demands a double-team on nearly every play. However, when you have Chris Long, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn with you, that just won’t happen very often.

Opponents just have to play 3 TE sets. Then they can double team each of our defensive linemen!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I foresee a LOT of draw plays against our front 4. Not that they will work, because Tree and the boys should be there to crush a fool, but I can imagine AD getting upfield so fast that the O thinks they can get away with it...Muahahaha.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Normally I would of thought that but if he rotates quite a bit he won't be on the filed as much as Sapp was. Now if he does put up those numbers...Whoa Nelly!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think his sack number is low...his value will be making the passer step into the arms of the guys on the outside.

I say 37 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If he plays the run well and pushes the QB out of the pocket on a regular basis, I'm happy with him season 1. Quinn and Long can close the deal.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think his sack number is low...his value will be making the passer step into the arms of the guys on the outside.

I say 37 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

Reverse that, the outside guys close the escape routes, forcing QB's to step right into Donald...12 sacks, 18 TFL, 44 tackles, 4 FF, 1 Int....I love defense

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most likely he'll pick up some sacks and increase others' sack totals. But offenses will react, throwing more quick short passes and also hurrying throws when they aren't designed to be short, leading to more interceptions. So I'd guess 42 tackles and 6 sacks, those coming in bursts. He'll mature and get some sacks, so teams will scheme against the Rams' pass rush, and then the Rams will adjust a bit.

In any case, Quinn and Long will love him, as will the Rams' secondary.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Most likely he'll pick up some sacks and increase others' sack totals. But offenses will react, throwing more quick short passes and also hurrying throws when they aren't designed to be short, leading to more interceptions. So I'd guess 42 tackles and 6 sacks, those coming in bursts. He'll mature and get some sacks, so teams will scheme against the Rams' pass rush, and then the Rams will adjust a bit.

In any case, Quinn and Long will love him, as will the Rams' secondary.

JJ becomes the deadliest interceptor in the league. It's easy to jump routes when the QB has .7 seconds to get rid of the ball.