2014 PFWA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
2014 PFWA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
Offense
QB – Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings
RB – Jeremy Hill, Cincinnati Bengals; Tre Mason, St. Louis Rams
WR – Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants; Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
TE – Jace Amaro, New York Jets
C – Corey Linsley, Green Bay Packers
G – Joel Bitonio, Cleveland Browns; Zach Martin, Dallas Cowboys
T – Taylor Lewan, Tennessee Titans; Ja’Wuan James, Miami Dolphins
Defense
DL – Aaron Donald, St. Louis Rams; Timmy Jernigan, Baltimore Ravens; Kony Ealy, Carolina Panthers; Justin Ellis, Oakland Raiders
LB – Chris Borland, San Francisco 49ers; Khalil Mack, Oakland Raiders; C.J. Mosley, Baltimore Ravens
CB – Kyle Fuller, Chicago Bears; E.J. Gaines, St. Louis Rams
S – Deone Bucannon, Arizona Cardinals; Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Green Bay Packers
Special Teams
PK – Cody Parkey, Philadelphia Eagles
P – Pat O’Donnell, Chicago Bears
KR – Jarvis Landry, Miami Dolphins
PR – De’Anthony Thomas, Kansas City Chiefs
ST – Trey Burton, Philadelphia Eagles

Rookie of the Year: WR Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants
Offensive Rookie of the Year: WR Odell Beckham, Jr., New York Giants
Defensive Rookie of the Year: DT Aaron Donald, St. Louis Rams

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
E.J. GAINES !!!!!!

nice nice nice nice!!!! love seeing Trey Mason on there

DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - AARON FREAKING DONALD

from this list you'd think we had a great year!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ha Ha Dix had a more impactful year than Bucannon. Not sure if they ranked the two by the way it was written. They both had good seasons.

Nice to see Donald, Gaines and Mason represented. Hard to believe that Robinson isn't on this list. For a raw prospect slated(initially) to play Guard he stepped into a difficult role and performed admirably IMO.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Robinson will end up being fine... but I can't see him on this list for this year.

Heck, he didn't play for how many games? And then, was inconsistent (as most rookies are).

Donald is outstanding... I really like Mason and Gaines was a very pleasnt surprise, at least to me.

Nice to see Rams names on the list!! Bodes well for the future.

Big Willie

Starter
Jake Matthews didn't make the team and he was supposed to be the most polished OT of the group. Robinson will be fine.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
2014 PFF All Rookie Team
Khaled Elsayed | January 13, 2015

It’s not easy playing football in the National Football League. It’s even harder when you’re making the transition from the college game. Many rookies struggle as they face faster, stronger, more experienced players who’ve already made the transition and have a leg up on perfecting their craft.
So give credit to these 28 men who have overcome the odds to make an immediate impression on us with their play. Those 28 men fill out the 2014 PFF All Rookie team, so let’s see who made the cut…

Quarterback: Teddy Bridgewater (MIN)
Others generated more talk but no rookie quarterback got about their business as efficiently and impressively as Bridgewater. Sure there were some teething pains but his strong finish to the year was an eye-catcher. He finished with the best grade of any QB over the past five weeks of the season.

Running Back: Jeremy Hill (CIN)
A strong season from Hill who broke the 1,000-yard mark and showed plenty of ability for making defenders miss with his 28 forced missed tackles. He will need to cut down on the four fumbles and make the most of the blocking in front of him.

Full Back: Ryan Hewitt (CIN)
The undrafted free agent would show off his versatility and blocking chops in a nice 525-snap cameo that will give the Bengals plenty of options for how they attack the draft and free agency next year.

Tight End: Crockett Gilmore (BAL)
This wasn’t a class that had a tight end jump out and wow you. Instead, the solid Gilmore gets the nod over his peers, none of whom managed more than 491 snaps.

Wide Receivers: Odell Beckham Jr. (NYG), Mike Evans (TB) and Jarvis Landry (MIA)
As lackluster as the tight end options were, the wide receiver options presented the opposite problem, with so many having eye catching seasons. Of course none was more impressive than Beckham Jr. who would make our All-Pro first team. Don’t sleep on how effective Jarvis Landry has been from the slot and the second half of the year from the outstanding Evans.

Tackles: Taylor Lewan (TEN) and Justin Britt (SEA)
Is it getting harder for tackles to adjust to the NFL? Outside of Lewan none covered themselves in glory. The selection of Britt was a case of him being the least bad right tackle as opposed to being the best. Pass protection in the NFL is tough.

Guards: Joel Bitonio (CLE) and Zack Martin (DAL)
As much as the tackles struggled, though, the guards had themselves a fine year. Brandon Linder was on the outside looking in but had himself a fine debut season, but Bitonio (first team PFF All-Pro) and Martin (second team) were that little bit better with their work in the run game.

Center: Corey Linsley (GB)
He may not have walked into training camp expecting to start but he’ll walk out of this season as not only the teams starting center for the future, but one of the better young linemen in the league.

2014 PFF All Rookie Team

Each week we put forward a hybrid defense that features two edge rushers (4-3 defensive ends or 3-4 outside linebackers), three players on the “interior” of the defensive line (3-4 defensive ends or defensive tackles) and two linebackers (all inside linebackers and 4-3 outside linebackers).

Defensive Interior – Ends: Aaron Donald (SL) and Timmy Jernigan (BAL)
Another rookie who would make our All-Pro team, Donald was a revelation. Working his way from rotational player to key starter, he ended the year our top-ranked defensive tackle. The more versatile Jernigan didn’t come close to that year but used his 312 snaps to make plenty of plays against both the run and pass.

Defensive Interior – Nose: Justin Ellis (OAK)
Raider Nation has a lot to smile about with their 2014 draft class. Ellis doesn’t look like the type who will ever be featured on every down, but his +4.9 run defense grade shows his value.

Edge Rushers: Khalil Mack (OAK) and Anthony Barr (MIN)
Sack numbers aren’t everything and Mack is a great example of that. He was phenomenal against the run, showing an ability to set the edge and shed blocks that should make offenses think twice about running in his direction. Barr isn’t a conventional edge rusher but his ability to do a number of things well helped us find a spot for him.

Linebackers: C.J. Mosley (BAL) and Chris Borland (SF)
Mosley put forth a season that in most years would garner serious Defensive Player of the Year consideration. He was an every-down force that immediately upgraded the Ravens’ defense. Borland played far less but was a tackling machine, proving doubters wrong in quick fashion.

Cornerbacks: Bene Benwikere (CAR), E.J. Gaines (SL) and K’Waun Williams (CLE)
While first-rounders struggled with injury (Jason Verrett), form (Kyle Fuller) and convincing his coaches that he deserved to play (Justin Gilbert), “lesser” talents made a name for themselves with their strong play. Not bad from one guy picked into the fifth, another in the sixth and another undrafted.

Safeties: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (GB) and Calvin Pryor (NYJ)
A special mention to Tre Boston who missed out on account of playing time, but two first-rounders both get the nod here. Pryor was the most impressive with a nose for the ball-carrier in the run game, but there’s no denying that the Packers’ secondary looks better with Clinton-Dix in it.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kicker: Chandler Catanzaro (ARZ)
Strong kickoffs and only four missed field goals all year. A solid pickup for the Cards.
Punter: Pat O’Donnell (CHI)
Nice rookie year from O’Donnell who would finish a creditable 14th overall in our punter rankings. Of course he was the only rookie punter which helped his cause for this team.
Returner: De’Anthony Thomas (KC)
The explosive Thomas looked a threat to take it back every time he touched it, as dangerous on punts as he was on kickoffs.
Special Teamer: Trey Burton (PHI)
Daniel Sorenson just missed out but ultimately the work of Burton on kickoffs and punts was a big part of why the Eagles’ special teams unit was so impressive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When you consider how big the Rams hit on Gaines, that draft is absolutely fantastic. I believe that both Donald and GRob will have multiple pro bowl berths in their careers, but if Gaines keeps going the way he started he will have some as well.

And yes Mason was impressive too. Imagine if they bring in Shanny Jr, I think Mason would be unreal in a stretch and misdirection running game with his burst and physical running style.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Say what you want about Snisher and the QB situation but these guys have stocked this team.

I hope the juries still out on Robinson but we haven't had this many good drafts since the early 90s.

And I know that people will point out the Peads of the world but ALL! teams have misses and busts. We've kept them to a minimum in our last few drafts. I don't think people realize how hard that is to do.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Robinson will get a full offseason and TC with reps at LT(unlike last year). He was thrown into the fire as a pass protector last season. I expect he'll be better.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
When you consider how big the Rams hit on Gaines, that draft is absolutely fantastic. I believe that both Donald and GRob will have multiple pro bowl berths in their careers, but if Gaines keeps going the way he started he will have some as well.

And yes Mason was impressive too. Imagine if they bring in Shanny Jr, I think Mason would be unreal in a stretch and misdirection running game with his burst and physical running style.
Agreed, and i think Joyner will be a nice player too. It took the entire defense half a season to absorb GW's defense...so i expect Joyner to be no different going forward. His injury obviously cost him valuable PT and defensive playbook digestion on the job.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
And I so wanted to trade back our 2nd pick and take Mike Evans or Odell Beckham Jr.... I love the Aaron Donald pick ( Aaron dropped into our waiting hands...We draft great defensive players, but not so good offensive players)....We could have got an extra 2nd round pick out of a trade for the 2nd pick in the draft! Then we could have traded up one of our 2nd round picks and take Teddy Bridgewater. I knew Bradford would get injured...And Bradford will get injured this year too! I said it last year and I'm saying it again...

It irritated me that we passed on WR's during the best WR draft in a decade! I was so pissed that I couldn't post on any Ram's site for over half a year. I still feel ill and get sick at my stomach thinking we could have drafted Mike Evans or Odell Beckham Jr and nabbed extra draft picks to boot...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think Robinson will end up being fine... but I can't see him on this list for this year.

Heck, he didn't play for how many games? And then, was inconsistent (as most rookies are).

Donald is outstanding... I really like Mason and Gaines was a very pleasnt surprise, at least to me.

Nice to see Rams names on the list!! Bodes well for the future.
Robinson didn't play for the same number of game Tre did not play, 4

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed, and i think Joyner will be a nice player too. It took the entire defense half a season to absorb GW's defense...so i expect Joyner to be no different going forward. His injury obviously cost him valuable PT and defensive playbook digestion on the job.
In truth Joyner's post is not listed in this recognition awards here. Joyner is a DB who can play every secondary position SS/FS/CB & NickleBack. With all the injuries to Johnson, McGee & Jenkins had a big impact on the position Joyner plays. If the Rams can keep the young cadre of DB 's healthy in 2015 Joyner will have a major impact in our secondary ...he is a legit play maker.

If games started & played has anything to do with this recognition then lets look deeper here. Greg Robinson started 12 games. GR finished 9 games @ OLT & finished only 2 games @ OLG. Lewan Taylor only started 6 games but Seattle's Britt started all 16 regular season games. Britt was Seattle's second 2nd round selection & looks like another great find by that front offices GM! Britt earned this recognition but I really have issues with the Lewan Taylor selection:hellno:. IMO Taylor's play was just plain bad. I have no ideal how they would select him over GR......

Last edited:

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In truth Joyner's post is not listed in this recognition awards here. Joyner is a DB who can play every secondary position SS/FS/CB & NickleBack.

upload_2015-1-13_17-40-13.png

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This team is sooooo much more talented than in yrs past .... the biggest problem has been "luck". Injuries have derailed things to the point that the true potential of this team has yet to be seen.

Memphis Ram

Legend
In truth Joyner's post is not listed in this recognition awards here. Joyner is a DB who can play every secondary position SS/FS/CB & NickleBack. With all the injuries to Johnson, McGee & Jenkins had a big impact on the position Joyner plays. If the Rams can keep the young cadre of DB 's healthy in 2015 Joyner will have a major impact in our secondary ...he is a legit play maker.

I hope you are right. But, I just see an undersized DB with questionable hands who will never be a #1 or #2 CB is might even be a matchup issue at FS.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hope you are right. But, I just see an undersized DB with questionable hands who will never be a #1 or #2 CB is might even be a matchup issue at FS.

Your right on the "never be a #1 or #2 CB" he is just to short ever to be that, but he can always be the #3 or #4 if need be. From all that I have seen here up close @ his seasons FSU Joyner can be inserted as needed in the FS/SS/Nickel back role good enough to make impact plays.

When I look at his timed speed & physical measurement I stop on ponder :eek:but his massive heart & smarts & love of the game is so hard to measure:love:. That's what sticks out all the times I have seen him. I know he has a great locker room presence that all positive! Plus I know once he is up to speed of the NFL he is going to fit nicely with Gregg Williams style! In 2015 I believe we will say WOW :Dwe sure did not see that coming from him as a rookie....so glad Joyner is on our team!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Your right on the "never be a #1 or #2 CB" he is just to short ever to be that, but he can always be the #3 or #4 if need be. From all that I have seen here up close @ his seasons FSU Joyner can be inserted as needed in the FS/SS/Nickel back role good enough to make impact plays.

When I look at his timed speed & physical measurement I stop on ponder :eek:but his massive heart & smarts & love of the game is so hard to measure:love:. That's what sticks out all the times I have seen him. I know he has a great locker room presence that all positive! Plus I know once he is up to speed of the NFL he is going to fit nicely with Gregg Williams style! In 2015 I believe we will say WOW :Dwe sure did not see that coming from him as a rookie....so glad Joyner is on our team!

Again. I hope you are right. But, I can't help but to wonder if this is the Tavon Austin of the defense. Only minus the quickness and speed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Again. I hope you are right. But, I can't help but to wonder if this is the Tavon Austin of the defense. Only minus the quickness and speed.

Joyner's brain is fully grown in & works exceptional well @ all times!:) I sure see no comparison with that Top 8 First round selection.