2014 NFL strength of schedule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
dn4j.png

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
What else is new? Hopefully, at some point, playing all these quality opponents will benefit us. I think we are getting really close to it, just gotta get into the playoffs to test the theory.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Surprised NE's is that tough. AFCE is meh. They play the NFCN, who's winner was 8-7-1. Then the AFCW...Broncos/Chiefs.

So you got 4 teams that had winning records: Broncos, Chiefs, Colts, Bengals.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/5696/strength-of-schedule-rams

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com
At first glance, the St. Louis Rams' 2014 schedule appears to once again be one of the most difficult in the NFL. The 13 teams comprising their 2014 schedule combined for a .564 winning percentage in 2013, which makes for the potential to have the third-most difficult schedule in the league next season.

stl.gif
But using a preseason strength of schedule to predict future NFL success is often an exercise in futility. The NFL is a league of constant change and parity. So much is different from year to year that using the previous season's results to determine how difficult the next year's slate might be often yields results far removed from reality.

Every once in a while, though, things play out in a way that align with what the preseason SOS might indicate. The Rams proved as much in 2013. Before the season, St. Louis was projected to have the fourth-most difficult schedule in the NFL based on opponents' records from 2012. By the time the season was through, the Rams had played exactly the fourth toughest schedule in the league.

Normally, things don't play out that way, but it wouldn't be a surprise if the Rams' 2014 schedule again was one of the hardest in the league. If nothing else, the Rams play six games against Seattle, Arizona and San Francisco in the NFC West. Pending some major changes in the offseason, there's no reason to believe those teams will have much of a drop-off in 2014.

Beyond that, the Rams' schedule rotation in the AFC leads them to their western counterparts in that conference, which happens to house playoff teams Denver, Kansas City and San Diego.

The Rams have targeted 2014 as a possible breakthrough season, but if the schedule matches the preseason expectation again, it's going to be a difficult road to travel to return to the postseason for the first time in more than a decade.

tonyl711

Starter
like the old saying "you have to beat the best to be the best", we are a very young team, by playing tougher schedules every year these players should grow stronger because they are playing the better teams, when they start realizing their potential they should be ready to play against anyone.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Is this right?

Edit: Nevermind that can't be right. We're playing the AFC West right?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Or this?

Home: Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas, NY Giants, Denver, Oakland, Minnesota

Away: Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington, Kansas City, San Diego,
Tampa Bay

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Just our division alone is 6 really tough games. Then Denver, Philly, KC and SD makes 10 games you can win or lose easily.
There are no more real easy games in the NFL.

Good news is I'm betting we get a few good prime time games. Wouldn't be surprised if Denver is MNF, Thursday or Sunday night game of the week.
I'd rather play KC at home but oh well.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Yep. That's because it's bull crap.
Only two games out of 16 are impacted by the previous years standings.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
like the old saying "you have to beat the best to be the best", we are a very young team, by playing tougher schedules every year these players should grow stronger because they are playing the better teams, when they start realizing their potential they should be ready to play against anyone.
I remember Dick Vermiel was talking about the success he had in 1999 (and then with KC) compared to the first two years in St. Louis. He basically said something along the lines of, he suddenly knew how to coach again once he had the players he wanted the strength of schedule wasn't impossibly difficult.

Edit note: I can't use "Dick"? It's the coach who helped us win the Superbowl's name

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Edit note: I can't use "Dick"? It's the coach who helped us win the Superbowl's name
lol. I noticed that too. It was just a minor snafu with the profanity filter.
Pretty funny though. **** Vermeil.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
lol. I noticed that too. It was just a minor snafu with the profanity filter.
Pretty funny though. **** Vermeil.
Profanity filters are funny. One forum I used to be on ended up filtering grape, scrape or drape or forms thereof.

Which actually just caused attention to be drawn to the concept they were aiming for, rather than filtering it out.

Back in the BBS era (Oh, man, I'm old), one BBS I frequented had a chat room where you couldn't say *********.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Profanity filters are funny. One forum I used to be on ended up filtering grape, scrape or drape or forms thereof.

Which actually just caused attention to be drawn to the concept they were aiming for, rather than filtering it out.

Back in the BBS era (Oh, man, I'm old), one BBS I frequented had a chat room where you couldn't say *********.
For the record, this was **** ***** as one word. Sweet water as one word also couldn't be said.