2014 NFL Draft order: Top three needs for all 32 teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
With the NFL season in its final month, here's a look at the draft order if the season ended today, with the top three draft needs for each team. The order of the teams is determined by record (using strength of schedule as a the first tie breaker and alphabetical order as a second tiebreaker) and does not include projections about playoff outcomes. Teams 21-32 would make the playoffs if the season ended today. If any ties cannot be broken by strength-of-schedule, the divisional or conference tie-breakers, then a coin toss will determine the order.

HOU-away-130x115.png
1. Houston Texans
Record: 2-12
Team needs: QB, OT, safety
Analysis: I'm not convinced Case Keenum is the long-term answer at the QB position. I would be very surprised if they passed on the top signal-caller in this draft.

STL-away-130x115.png
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins)
Record: 3-11
Team needs: OL, WR, safety
Analysis: The Rams -- who own this pick due to the trade made by the Redskins so they could select Robert Griffin III in the 2012 NFL Draft -- need to upgrade the offensive line and this is shaping up to be a strong offensive line class. They have drafted several wide receivers in the last few years, but they still need a true No. 1 wide receiver. Tavon Austin has a bright future in the slot, but they still need a go-to-guy on the outside.

OAK-away-130x115.png
3. Oakland Raiders
Record: 4-10
Team needs: QB, WR, OT
Analysis: The Raiders are another team that is unsettled at the quarterback position. They could also use a legitimate No. 1 wide receiver and some help up front on both sides of the ball.

JAC-away-130x115.png
4. Jacksonville Jaguars
Team needs: QB, DE, OT
Analysis: Jacksonville is another team that should be in the quarterback market. However, if they fall in love with a pass rusher, they could nab a quarterback at the top of the second round.

ATL-away-130x115.png
5. Atlanta Falcons
Team needs: DE, OL, TE
Analysis: Atlanta is desperate for an outside edge rusher to plug into its defense. An offensive tackle like Jake Matthews would also make a lot of sense.

CLE-away-130x115.png
6. Cleveland Browns
Team needs: QB, RB, OG
Analysis: I will be very surprised if this selection is anything other than a quarterback. The Brownsare loaded with extra picks in this draft, and they could package a few of them to move up for a QB.

TB-away-130x115.png
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Needs: DE, TE, OT
Analysis: Tampa's defense is loaded up the middle, but it could use a dominant edge rusher. An offensive tackle like Michigan's Taylor Lewan would also fill a need.

MIN-away-130x115.png
8. Minnesota Vikings
Record: 4-9-1
Team needs: QB, DE, OG
Analysis: The Vikings are very unsettled at the quarterback position, and I could see them going in that direction if they secure a top-five pick in this draft.

BUF-away-130x115.png
9. Buffalo Bills
Record: 5-9
Team needs: OT, safety, DE
Analysis: The Bills could use another offensive tackle as well as some youth at defensive end. Buffalo linebacker/pass rusher Khalil Mack would be a very popular pick, and his versatility would give defensive coordinator Mike Pettine a lot of flexibility.

TEN-away-130x115.png
10. Tennessee Titans
Team needs: Safety, DE, QB
Analysis: The Titans have a very fast, aggressive defense but they could use a more athletic, cover safety as well as another edge rusher. Jake Locker's inability to stay healthy could also factor into the decision to add another QB to the mix.

NYG-away-130x115.png
11. New York Giants
Needs: LB, CB, interior OL
Analysis: Jon Beason has been fantastic since his arrival from Carolina, but there is still a need at the other linebacker spots. They are also in need of some more speed and athleticism in the secondary.

PIT-away-130x115.png
12. Pittsburgh Steelers
Record: 6-8
Needs: OT, safety, CB
Analysis: The Steelers have missed on a few offensive linemen in the past few drafts, and they need to upgrade the offensive tackle position. The secondary is one of the oldest in the NFL, and they could easily go in that direction with this pick.

NYJ-away-130x115.png
13. New York Jets
Team needs: WR, OG, CB
Analysis: The Jets have a talented defense, but they need a lot of work on the offensive side of the ball. If Geno Smith's play doesn't improve, I wouldn't be shocked if they jumped back into the quarterback market this spring.

STL-away-130x115.png
14. St. Louis Rams
Team needs: OL, WR, safety
Analysis: If the Rams secure an offensive lineman with their top selection, they could look in several different directions. They could upgrade the secondary, add another receiving weapon for Sam Bradford or supplement the pass rush with another defensive lineman.

DET-away-130x115.png
15. Detroit Lions
Record: 7-7
Team needs: CB, WR, safety
Analysis:The Lions need to address the cornerback position and it might be smart to draft more than one in the early rounds. If they decide to pass on a cornerback in the first round, finding a receiver to take some heat off Calvin Johnson would make a lot of sense.

DAL-away-130x115.png
t16. Dallas Cowboys
Needs: DE, CB, safety
Analysis: George Selvie has done a nice job this year but the Cowboys could use some more depth at defensive end. The safety position has been an issue for the past few years and it wouldn't be a surprise if they decided to address that problem with their first-round pick.

SD-away-130x115.png
t16. San Diego Chargers
Team needs: CB, OG, OLB
Analysis: The Chargers' offensive line has played much better this season, but they could still use an upgrade along the interior. They have spent a lot of picks on pass rushers over the last decade, but they're still in the market for a difference-maker on the outside.

GB-away-130x115.png
18. Green Bay Packers
Record: 7-6-1
Team needs: TE, CB, LB
Analysis: This draft is shaping up to be very deep at the cornerback position and thePackers could go in that direction or possibly land Jermichael Finley's replacement.

MIA-away-130x115.png
19. Miami Dolphins
Record: 8-6
Needs: OT, OG, RB
Analysis: The Dolphins offensive line has been the story both on and off the field. They need to upgrade both the OT and OG spots and they also need to find a three-down running back.

ARI-away-130x115.png
20. Arizona Cardinals
Record: 9-5
Team needs: OT, CB, OLB
Analysis: The Cardinals are playing much better up front this season but they still need an upgrade at offensive tackle. They are loaded at inside linebacker but they could use an edge rusher to complement Calais Campbell. John Abraham is playing well this year but he's 35 years old.

Playoff teams: If the season ended today

BAL-away-130x115.png
t21. Baltimore Ravens
Team needs: WR, OT, CB
Analysis: Baltimore's offense hasn't looked the same without Anquan Boldin. They also haven't played that well in the secondary during the 2013 season. Ozzie Newsome will always take the best available player, but it would be tough to pass on a talented wideout to complement Torrey Smith.

PHI-away-130x115.png
t21. Philadelphia Eagles
Team needs: OLB, Safety, CB
Analysis: The Eagles are in good shape on the offensive side of the ball, although adding a receiver might be an option. I think they'll be more inclined to add a dynamic defensive player.

CHI-away-130x115.png
23. Chicago Bears
Team needs: DL, Safety, Interior OL
Analysis: The Bears' defensive line has been ravaged by injuries this season and they need to add some youth to the position. Finding an upgrade at the safety position should also be a focal point in this draft.

CLE-away-130x115.png
24. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts)
Team needs: QB, RB, OG
Analysis: Joe Banner and Michael Lombardi should be able to address the running back position later in the draft. This would be a good spot to upgrade the interior of the offensive line or possibly draft an explosive wide reciever to pair with Josh Gordon.

CIN-away-130x115.png
25. Cincinnati Bengals
Team needs: CB, OLB, Safety
Analysis: The Bengals have a very talented roster but they could use more depth at the cornerback position. Also, a playmaking safety would be a nice addition.

NE-away-130x115.png

26. New England Patriots
Record: 10-4
Team needs: Interior OL, DL, CB
Analysis: Protecting Tom Brady needs to be the first priority and they also need to add some more youth and athleticism to their defensive line.

CAR-away-130x115.png
27. Carolina Panthers
Team needs: WR, CB, Safety
Analysis: The Panthers need to continue to build around Cam Newton and nabbing an explosive pass catcher with this pick would make their franchise quarterback happy.

SF-away-130x115.png
28. San Francisco 49ers
Team needs: WR, DL, CB
Analysis: The 49ers have two excellent possession wide receivers (Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree) but they could use an explosive, stretch-the-field playmaker at the position. Justin Smith continues to play at a high level but he can't play forever.

NO-away-130x115.png

29. New Orleans Saints
Needs: OT, OLB, CB
Analysis: The Saints' offensive line is very solid on the interior but they could upgrade the tackle position. With all of the young, talented quarterbacks in the NFC, you can never have enough cornerbacks.

KC-away-130x115.png
30. Kansas City Chiefs
Record: 11-3
Team needs: WR, DL, ILB
Analysis: Andy Reid would love to add a field-stretcher in the passing game. Also, adding a stud to play next to Derrick Johnson would make this front seven even nastier.

DEN-away-130x115.png

31. Denver Broncos
Record: 11-3
Team needs: OT, CB, DL
Analysis: Protecting Peyton Manning and adding depth to the cornerback position should both be high priorities in the upcoming draft.

SEA-away-130x115.png
32. Seattle Seahawks
Record: 12-2
Team needs: WR, CB, TE
Analysis: Cornerback seemed like a silly proposition a few weeks ago, but now it is an area of need. Brandon Browner has likely played his last game as a Seahawk. A big-time tight end would be a perfect fit for Russell Wilson and a true No. 1 wideout would also make sense.

Teams currently without first-round pick after trading it away

IND-away-130x115.png
Indianapolis Colts (traded to Cleveland Browns)
Team needs: Interior OL, WR, LB
Analysis: Upgrading the offensive line is the No. 1 priority. There should be plenty of quality interior linemen available in the middle rounds.

WAS-away-130x115.png
Washington Redskins (traded to St. Louis Rams)
Record: 3-11
Team needs: DL, safety, interior OL
Analysis: The Redskins could use help across the board on defense and the offensive line also needs to be upgraded.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-draft-order-top-three-needs-for-all-32-teams

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So he see five of the top 8 have primary needs @ QB. This could help the Snead as these teams jockey to jump ahead of the other trying to secure the QB they have targeted. Best for us would be if Snead could trade down from #2 several times in top ten collecting extra early second day picks then get a chance to select CB Darqueze Dennard. On the flip side if teams stay put & go after the 4 or 5 QB's (Brigewater, Manzeil, Carr & Bortles) that a large group of top 10 prospects that are not QB's for us to ponder.

This Article see's no Ram need of a CB? Maybe he thinks its the coach & scheme????? Guess he does not like all of the Rams 5 high draft picks @ WR for the last 3 drafts?? Think he knows something that we don't? I agree 100% about the OL.

I know we need CB more than a safety IMO. If you just took a look @ what the Rams have under contract @ safety in 2014. McLeod 2 yr experience, Mc Donald 1 yr experience, Davis 1 yr experience & Matt Daniels 1 yr experience....indicates to me that we will have one of the youngest safety cadre in the NFL. Even my one brain cell tells me that we may have need of a veteran more than another draft pick right @ this point in time. I would like to see what McDonald, McLeod, Davis & Daniels can do in 2014 before dumping them off to another team. Could we use a talented safety YES but some wise vet with some games under his belt may blend better.

What I said about the safeties could be said about the WR's.

Last edited by a moderator:

ausmurp

Starter
So he see five of the top 8 have primary needs @ QB. This could help the Snead as these teams jockey to jump ahead of the other trying to secure the QB they have targeted. Best for us would be if Snead could trade down from #2 several times in top ten collecting extra early second day picks then get a chance to select CB Darqueze Dennard. On the flip side if teams stay put & go after the 4 or 5 QB's (Brigewater, Manzeil, Carr & Bortles) that a large group of top 10 prospects that are not QB's for us to ponder.

This Article see's no Ram need of a CB? Maybe he thinks its the coach & scheme????? Guess he does not like all of the Rams 5 high draft picks @ WR for the last 3 drafts?? Think he knows something that we don't? I agree 100% about the OL.

I know we need CB more than a safety IMO. If you just took a look @ what the Rams have under contract @ safety in 2014. McLeod 2 yr experience, Mc Donald 1 yr experience, Davis 1 yr experience & Matt Daniels 1 yr experience....indicates to me that we will have one of the youngest safety cadre in the NFL. Even my one brain cell tells me that we may have need of a veteran more than another draft pick right @ this point in time. I would like to see what McDonald, McLeod, Davis & Daniels can do in 2014 before dumping them off to another team. Could we use a talented safety YES but some wise vet with some games under his belt may blend better.

What I said about the safeties could be said about the WR's.

I want Dennard. If he runs under 4.5 in the 40 though, we will not be able to move too far down to get him, as he'll probably go somewhere in top 7 (again only if he runs a good 40 - the 40 is everything for Dennard in this draft it will make or break his draft position).

bluecoconuts

Legend
In a perfect world (in my eyes) we select the top OT (that can play both RT and LT) and the top FS in the first round. Then fill out OG, and CB over the next two rounds, and get some depth in there.

Alan

Legend
bluecoconuts hitting my sweet spot:
In a perfect world (in my eyes) we select the top OT (that can play both RT and LT) and the top FS in the first round. Then fill out OG, and CB over the next two rounds, and get some depth in there.
That's my early lean.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Man... I want to stay in front of Oak, Min, Cle, and Jax.

A QB will emerge outside of Bridgewater... One of those teams will want to leap frog the other for the #2 QB in this draft!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

That's my early lean.

The top OT is Jake Mathews and from my previous posts on him I have said he is fully talented & skilled enough to start @ any of the Rams four OL posts. If we loose Rodger Saffold I am all in for the selection of an OT like Jake Mathews with the 2nd overall pick. But I am still hopeful for several trade downs. If the Org. makes three major high cap cost releases (OC Wells-OG-Dahl & CB Finnegan) there will be plenty of cap to entice Saffold back. If this were to occur in March of 2014 then the ultra high need for a OT diminishes some. Rams will need to get an OT at some time early even with Saffold in the fold. This should not be a major problem due to the fact that all three of the above are not active now anyway & we have survived fine to hold our own. Dahl who is healthy was not active & was replaced by the younger OG Shelley Smith in the Saints game...that tells me that the Org may be preparing to move on with out those two aging & not worth their cap hit vets (10.5 mil.) Throw in Cortland & all 3 will cost 20.5 million in 2014. The release of those 3 saves the Rams 16.5 mil. The release of Wells & Cortland also save 15.5 million on the 2015 cap!

If the Rams were lucky to sign Saffold long term then the Org can relax a bit & see what they have invested in this season that can possibly fill the other starting OG post. Young vets like Shelley Smith, Barrett Jones, Mike Persons & Brandon Washington.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam high on the pedigree:
The top OT is Jake Mathews and from my previous posts on him I have said he is fully talented & skilled enough to start @ any of the Rams four OL posts. If we loose Rodger Saffold I am all in for the selection of an OT like Jake Mathews with the 2nd overall pick. But I am still hopeful for several trade downs. If the Org. makes three major high cap cost releases (OC Wells-OG-Dahl & CB Finnegan) there will be plenty of cap to entice Saffold back. If this were to occur in March of 2014 then the ultra high need for a OT diminishes some. Rams will need to get an OT at some time early even with Saffold in the fold. This should not be a major problem due to the fact that all three of the above are not active now anyway & we have survived fine to hold our own. Dahl who is healthy was not active & was replaced by the younger OG Shelley Smith in the Saints game...that tells me that the Org may be preparing to move on with out those two aging & not worth their cap hit vets (10.5 mil.) Throw in Cortland & all 3 will cost 20.5 million in 2014. The release of those 3 saves the Rams 16.5 mil. The release of Wells & Cortland also save 15.5 million on the 2015 cap!

If the Rams were lucky to sign Saffold long term then the Org can relax a bit & see what they have invested in this season that can possibly fill the other starting OG post. Young vets like Shelley Smith, Barrett Jones, Mike Persons & Brandon Washington.
This mirrors my own thoughts with the exception of your take on Jake Mathews. I'll give you his versatility but like most jack of all trades he's master of none. I worry that his bloodlines have artificially upped his ratings in many experts eyes.

I have quibbles with all the top OT's in this draft.

What are your thoughts on Taylor Lewan? I'm glad he stayed in college for his senior year and he seems to be getting better every year. That fits in nicely with us not having an immediate need for him to start. Assuming we re-sign Saffold of course. I think it's also possible for us to get him if we are able to trade down but still stay reasonably high.

I also like Antonio Richardson in the later part of the first round. Although he might be better suited as a RT.

What are you thoughts?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd love to see the Browns want to leap frog the Raiders and Jaguars to get that QB and give us the 6th and 24th pick. I'm not sure Jake Mathews would then make it past those two and the Falcons so I could see the Rams grabbing the CB Dennard (move Cortland to S and restructure his contract?) or OLB Anthony Barr with the 6th pick, then at 14, maybe a DT Clinton-Dix or a WR Watkins or WR Evans if they happen to slip that far down and at 24, at least one of these OTs should be available, Richardson, Lewan, Kouandjio, or Erving. That's the dream scenario to me.

Alan

Legend
That trade with the browns would be heaven no matter who we pick with our 3 first rounders.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
That trade with the browns would be heaven no matter who we pick with our 3 first rounders.
And I have to believe that trade isn't too far fetched, probably pretty fair compensation, and maybe closer to reality than we might think. What say ye?

And I have to believe that trade isn't too far fetched, probably pretty fair compensation, and maybe closer to reality than we might think. What say ye?

Depends what trade chart you use, using the traditional one 6+24=2,340, 2=2,600 you'd like to see a third (around 240) thrown in on the Browns side.

Using the Redskins trade chart where you give up 2.1 points for every point you gain then it sucks :rofl:.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Depends what trade chart you use, using the traditional one 6+24=2,340, 2=2,600 you'd like to see a third (around 240) thrown in on the Browns side.

Using the Redskins trade chart where you give up 2.1 points for every point you gain then it sucks :rofl:.
A third would be even better, a QB would come to mind at that slot.

Alan

Legend
A QB taken with an extra pick in the 3rd round? I could live with that but it's not my first choice. But I say that not knowing whats out there to be had. Theoretically, I'd rather wait for the 5th round or so. Especially considering Snisher's success in that part of the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What are your thoughts on Taylor Lewan? I'm glad he stayed in college for his senior year and he seems to be getting better every year. That fits in nicely with us not having an immediate need for him to start. Assuming we re-sign Saffold of course. I think it's also possible for us to get him if we are able to trade down but still stay reasonably high. I also like Antonio Richardson in the later part of the first round. Although he might be better suited as a RT. What are you thoughts?

I do not consider Lewan a good fit at this time for the Rams. I sure like some other OT's much better. Rams have need of a Swing OT or a RIGHT OT if Long was to miss any action cause Barksdale would flip left. Rams do not have any real OL candidates under contract that can really be considered. The only OT under contract is Graham Pocic. I like Cyrus Kouandjio, Cameron Erving, Cedric Ogbuehi & Greg Robinson much better. The best is Cyrus Kouandjio IMO & in the long run looks to be a much better talent @ OLT than Mathews but has the ability to play ORT. Erving is very similar but just not the run blocker that Cyrus is. The best run blocking OT that I have seen lately is this Auburn Tiger named Greg Robinson but he may need some time to get ready for NFL pass rushers. A ORT that could hang around till late first round is ORT Cedric Ogbuehi he would be a steal like Ogletree was if he can be had @ around that spot & could be the Rams third OT in 2014.

If you are assuming that Saffold will return to play ORG then that leaves the OLG spot open ...that a good spot to play OLT Greg Robinson so he can polish up his pass blocking. It's sure nice to have two starting OG's who can also play OT when there is a need. Rams looks to have plenty interior OL'ers to fill in @ OG's if either Saffold or Robinson had to go outside.

Antonio Richardson @ this point.....looks to be a early 2nd rd pick IMO that be worth a look. He has excellent size but may be just a OLT.

Alan

Legend
It looks like you and Rang share like minded views on the OTs you mentioned.

From Rob Rang:
#5 Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (6-5, 305): The son of Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, Jake proves the cliché -- the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He has played well at left tackle this season after starring at right tackle over his first three years. Matthews is a terrific football player, demonstrating impressive technique, strength and consistency. He is not, however, an elite athlete and some view his future back on the right side in the NFL.

#8 Cyrus Kouandjio*, OT, Alabama (6-5, 312): Nick Saban questioned draft analysts for pegging Kouandjio as a first-round talent before the season, but given the junior left tackle's skills the projection is an easy one. Long-armed, athletic and aggressive, Kouandjio boasts many of the traits scouts are looking for in a potential Pro Bowl left tackle.

#9 Cameron Erving*, OT, Florida State (6-5, 310): Erving played 13 games as a redshirt freshman defensive tackle but looked like a natural when moved to left tackle a season ago, though he remains a bit inconsistent. Long, balanced and athletic, he's a hidden factor in the dynamic play of freshman QB Jameis Winston and could enjoy a "quiet" ride into the top 10 of the 2014 draft just as former Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel did a year ago while blocking for Heisman winner Johnny Manziel.

#12 Cedric Ogbuehi*, OT, Texas A&M (6-5, 300): Overshadowed by all of the talent on the Aggies' roster, Ogbuehi is an exciting prospect in his own right. A standout at right guard a year ago, Ogbuehi (pronounced ah-BOO-hee) took over for Jake Matthews at right tackle and has excelled. With long arms and light feet, Ogbuehi offers more upside than his more celebrated teammate, though he is not yet as polished.

#16 Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan (6-7, 310): With an impressive combination of size, strength and toughness, Lewan has earned comparisons to former Michigan standout Jake Long throughout his career with the Wolverines. He certainly looked the part against Ohio State, dominating the action up front.

Greg Robinson*, OT, Auburn (6-5, 320): Redshirt offensive linemen rarely earn more than a whisper in scouting circles, but the buzz around the Tigers' star left tackle is venturing into deafening. Physical and tenacious, Robinson is a grizzly bear in the running game, mauling opponents with an exciting blend of size, strength and athleticism. Auburn's reliance on the running game, however, has given Robinson few opportunities in pass protection, making him a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect at this early point.

Here's something about Richardson from Walter Football:
Antonio Richardson*, OT, Tennessee
Height: 6-6. Weight: 332.
Projected 40 Time: 5.31.
Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

12/7/13: Tennessee failed to qualify for a bowl game, but Richardson had a good junior season. Sources have told Walter Football that Richardson looks like a first-round pick if he enters the draft.

Richardson continued his tough schedule and played well against Missouri's speed-rushers. He did a great job of getting depth in his drop to negate speed rushes. Richardson also stonewalled bull rushes. The only Missouri rusher who was able to get some pressure going against him was Ealy. He worked himself free of Richardson on a few occasions, but never quickly enough to get a hit on the quarterback or a sack. Even on Richardson's underwhelming plays, he got enough of his rushers to give his quarterback a reasonable amount of time to throw the ball.

Against Alabama, Richardson played well overall. He did well in pass protection and wasn't beat for any sacks. Richardson was jacked up for another shot at Jadeveon Clowney. In the beginning of the game, Clowney made some plays against him in run defense, but Richardson settled down and played well. He kept Clowney from recording a sack and did well in pass protection.

Richardson played well against Georgia aside from a couple of bad plays. He was pushed into the pocket and almost beaten for a sack in the second quarter. Richardson was then beaten in third quarter by Ray Drew for a sack with a rush to the inside. Drew gained leverage on Richardson and the tackle was unable to recover. After those hiccups, he was generally sound against Georgia. Richardson had some well-executed assignments on some clutch second-half throws made by Volunteers quarterback Justin Worley.

Early in the season, Richardson had his worst game of the past two seasons in a loss to Florida. He was beaten by Dante Fowler for a strip-sack and had issues in the first half with the Gators' defensive linemen. Richardson played better in the second half.

8/9/13: Entering the 2012 season, Dallas Thomas was a quality tackle prospect, but Richardson's talent prompted Tennessee to move Thomas inside to guard. Richardson was excellent at protecting Tyler Bray's blind side last year. The Volunteers did a great job in pass protection with Richardson leading the way, allowing only eight sacks. He was a Second-Team All-SEC selection.

Richardson also held his own going against South Carolina superstar Jadeveon Clowney. Richardson has size to go with some athleticism. It wouldn't surprise me to see his stock rise during his junior year. He moves really well for his size and was even used some as a fullback as a freshman in 2011.

The junior faces a challenging schedule with good pass-rushers throughout this coming season. He rematches with Clowney midway through the year. If Richardson has a dominant 2013, he could rise into the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

He did very well against everyone's wonderboy Clowney. At 332 LBs I think he'd make a better RT myself.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
We need help at safety? I'd say CB. McLeod and McDonald are good, and are only getting better the more and more they play, we already got starters in them, unless he means depth. Even then you don't waste top picks on depth, and CB seems to be more pressing.

Alan

Legend
HometownBoy with his priorities:
We need help at safety? I'd say CB. McLeod and McDonald are good, and are only getting better the more and more they play, we already got starters in them, unless he means depth. Even then you don't waste top picks on depth, and CB seems to be more pressing.

IMO, unless McLeod improves dramatically he'll never be a starting SS much less the FS we need. He could develop into a decent backup at both SS and FS though. I think McDonald is what he is, a pretty good SS who will probably also get better with time. The problem is, of the 5 Ss on the team, none can play FS worth a damn IMO.

Which one of these is a decent FS?
R. McLeod
C. Davis
D. Stewart
T. McDonald
M. Giordano

Considering all of them except Giordano and McDonald are UDFAs I'd say they have acquitted themselves very well but it doesn't make them quality starters. Giordano will probably not be with us next year and Davis also has very little chance of making the team. We have more than 8 draft picks to add to our 53. How many of these guys will make the cut? Only McDonald is a sure thing IMO. Of the 5, I can easily see only the M & M boys in Rams unis next year.

I agree that CB is a pressing need but no more so than FS IMO. The lack of a good FS is what is (supposedly) largely responsible for us playing cover 0 all the time.

We need both a CB and a FS desperately. Of course if we can get Byrd in FA the problem is moot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO, unless McLeod improves dramatically he'll never be a starting SS much less the FS we need. He could develop into a decent backup at bot SS and FS though. I think McDonald is what he is, a pretty good SS who will probably also get better with time. The problem is, of the 5 Ss on the team, none can play FS worth a damn IMO.

Which one of these is a decent FS?
R. McLeod
C. Davis
D. Stewart
T. McDonald
M. Giordano

Considering all of them except Giordano and McDonald are UDFAs I'd say they have acquitted themselves very well but it doesn't make them quality starters. Giordano will probably not be with us next year and Davis also has very little chance of making the team. We have more than 8 draft picks to add to our 53. How many of these guys will make the cut? Only McDonald is a sure thing IMO. Of the 5, I can easily see only the M & M boys in Rams unis next year.

I agree that CB is a pressing need but no more so than FS IMO. The lack of a good FS is what is (supposedly) largely responsible for us playing cover 0 all the time.

We need both a CB and a FS desperately. Of course if we can get Byrd in FA the problem is moot.

Alan, Merry Christmas first... but Snead will have four safeties (McDonald, McLeod, Daniels & Davis) under contract in 2014 all of them will have less than 2 yrs NFL experience. The most experienced one is McLeod. I see nothing wrong with this very young cadre but way green on experience. Fisher wants his safeties to be able to fit the tweeners he wants! He like versatile safeties to play any all of the demands that he will assign them in the box, way deep off, On the LOS or covering the wide outs or the slots. Some of our current four can do some of these demands better than others but as a hole they must be able to do it all good. It takes time for this young cadre to meet the demands that he places on his safeties.

Our most experienced safety is Rodney McLeod who has 30 NFL games with 13 starts, is our best coverage safety & he is good at it, with some issues up close. TJ is a very good young safety with only 8 NFL games & starts under his belt. Davis who now has 10 NFL games under his belt with no starts, may be the smartest & the fastest but just beginning on the learning curve. Daniels who only has 6 games under his NFL belt with no starts , may be the most complete safety of the four IMO but has been injury prone the last two seasons on the IR but one thing I know Daniels will bring the hit with his tacks. I expect Snead & Fisher to add a very talented safety on the 2nd day of the draft just like in 2013. I also would bet on a good veteran with much starting experience to be signed. My desired safety is Lamarcus Joyner, Sr., Florida State. this short fellow can do it all he can be a SS,a deep safety, a Nickle or Dime back or line up and cover the flanker. Multi versatile purpose player who would fit in so very nicely into Fishers back defense.

I realize most all want Rodney replaced but I sure look at what he has been able to do since his arrival & I like what he does. Rod McLeod has been a healthy gamer who has showed up for all the games. He may never be the big game safety we all desire but he came very very cheap & played very big for a UDFA. McLeod game is being versatile & with Fisher that carries big weight.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam in the spirit:
Alan, Merry Christmas first... but Snead will have four safeties (McDonald, McLeod, Daniels & Davis) under contract in 2014 all of them will have less than 2 yrs NFL experience. The most experienced one is McLeod. I see nothing wrong with this very young cadre but way green on experience. Fisher wants his safeties to be able to fit the tweeners he wants! He like versatile safeties to play any all of the demands that he will assign them in the box, way deep off, On the LOS or covering the wide outs or the slots. Some of our current four can do some of these demands better than others but as a hole they must be able to do it all good. It takes time for this young cadre to meet the demands that he places on his safeties.

Our most experienced safety is Rodney McLeod who has 30 NFL games with 13 starts, is our best coverage safety & he is good at it, with some issues up close. TJ is a very good young safety with only 8 NFL games & starts under his belt. Davis who now has 10 NFL games under his belt with no starts, may be the smartest & the fastest but just beginning on the learning curve. Daniels who only has 6 games under his NFL belt with no starts , may be the most complete safety of the four IMO but has been injury prone the last two seasons on the IR but one thing I know Daniels will bring the hit with his tacks. I expect Snead & Fisher to add a very talented safety on the 2nd day of the draft just like in 2013. I also would bet on a good veteran with much starting experience to be signed. My desired safety is Lamarcus Joyner, Sr., Florida State. this short fellow can do it all he can be a SS,a deep safety, a Nickle or Dime back or line up and cover the flanker. Multi versatile purpose player who would fit in so very nicely into Fishers back defense.

I realize most all want Rodney replaced but I sure look at what he has been able to do since his arrival & I like what he does. Rod McLeod has been a healthy gamer who has showed up for all the games. He may never be the big game safety we all desire but he came very very cheap & played very big for a UDFA. McLeod game is being versatile & with Fisher that carries big weight.

Well let's take it in order. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too Bonifay!

They're all under contract as of now but I doubt most of them will be after training camp. Someone has to be cut to make room for our FA and draft acquisitions. Tentatively, I see Wells, DR, Dahl, and Giordano looking for work. Others like Finn are good bets to be gone. That still leaves many more we have to cut. This doesn't even take into account the many new UDFAs that will be added to the mix. I see nothing wrong with keeping a bunch of inexperienced players but only if their play warrants it. Unlike many others here, I don't even think about "experience" when evaluatiing a player's worth. In fact, if two players have had equal results in practice and games I'd much rather have the inexperienced player because he probably hasn't reached his ceiling yet.

For me, this has nothing to do with their lack of experience, it has to do with their lack of talent. I'm totally unimpressed with their play so far. Of the five (plus Daniels) I see only two of them that have shown any NFL talent on even a semi-consistent basis. One of them is McLeod who you like too. However, I've only been a fan of his play against the run. All of them make plays occasionally but only the two Ms have shown it regularly and McLeod less so IMO.

Betting on a veteran with much starting experience to be signed? Like Giordano? Thanks I'll pass.

I haven't done any research yet on the new draft class (except a little at OT) so I can't respond intelligently about Joyner. I will say what I've said before about those jack of all trades players. They're usually masters of none. Regardless of what Fisher has said about his desire to have Safeties that are equally as good playing FS as they are at playing SS it ain't gonna happen and what's more, I see no evidence of him using our safeties in an interchangeable way. Yes, sometimes their responsibilities in a given play are reversed but that happens with all safeties. Hell, sometimes Chris Long drops back in coverage. I just don't see it happening on a regular basis and if that is a result of not having any who can handle both responsibilities then that just makes my point doesn't it.:D

I'm not locked into drafting anyone or any position in any round but I do have priorities. CB, FS, OT, G, OLB and QB in that order. If we re-sign Saffold then swap the OLB and G positions. While those are my priorities, that doesn't necessarily determine their draft order. SOmetimes you can get good players at certain positions lower in the draft.