2014 Draft Wr Prospects Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The consensus appears to be that Watkins is the guy. Most think Watkins is the one guy in this draft that the Rams can plug in and he will give them more of what they don't have with their current stable of WRs.

So the big question in this draft is what do the Rams do with their first pick whether it is at #2 or a bit lower.

Do they take Watkins or Matthews/Robinson?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The consensus appears to be that Watkins is the guy. Most think Watkins is the one guy in this draft that the Rams can plug in and he will give them more of what they don't have with their current stable of WRs.

So the big question in this draft is what do the Rams do with their first pick whether it is at #2 or a bit lower.

If I HAD to use the 1.2 pick ,could not get out of it,I'd take Watkins over Clowney because although I think our wrs. are the most physically gifted unit ,I think they have yet to prove they are our best unit like the d-line clearly is.
That position BARELY noses out the position that our o-line is our least talented unit and "should" be where we focus the pick ONLY because Watkins is "specialer"( my new contribution to the English language) and more likely to make a noticeable difference and would render value more commensurate with where the pick falls .
If we can trade down enough to fit Matthews with the pick he's my choice,I think he's a plug and forget it for ten years or better, making 4 or more pro bowls over that stretch.Not QUITE Anthony Munoz ,but close enough to do it and consider problem solved.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If I HAD to use the 1.2 pick ,could not get out of it,I'd take Watkins over Clowney because although I think our wrs. are the most physically gifted unit ,I think they have yet to prove they are our best unit like the d-line clearly is.
That position BARELY noses out the position that our o-line is our least talented unit and "should" be where we focus the pick ONLY because Watkins is "specialer"( my new contribution to the English language) and more likely to make a noticeable difference and would render value more commensurate with where the pick falls .
If we can trade down enough to fit Matthews with the pick he's my choice,I think he's a plug and forget it for ten years or better, making 4 or more pro bowls over that stretch.Not QUITE Anthony Munoz ,but close enough to do it and consider problem solved.

Jeremiah has us taking Watkins at #2 right now.

And he has his top 5 players as:
1. Clowney
2. Watkins
3. Robinson
4. Barr
5. Matthews

I can see us with any of them except Barr.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Jrry -- big fan of your work! Thank you for the time and effort since I don't watch nearly the amount of college football, or file, that you do. Will you be doing similar work for other positions?

RamsFan14

Starter
He is not a 4.4 guy you have to fall in love with his hands and size to take him. those are the elements that create the mismatch opportunities . He is not running by DB's just not his schtick

He does have some speed, but yes I agree with everything you said. I'm just saying if he were to really work on it this offseason and somehow made some amazing progress, then I would consider taking him a lil more. Height, hands, strength, and speed would make him a valuable commodity. But speed isn't everything and it certainly isn't easy just to work on... But hey I can dream! :cool: :heh: :number1:

F. Mulder

Starter
First off I, like everyone else, doesn't expect them to be there at 2. In fact, I'd wager they'd take a SLIGHTLY below offer to move back but stay in the top 8-10. I don't think Clowney is in play. For as much upside as he offers there are way too many holes to fill vs a rotating DE system. I think if they can go back and stay in the top 8-10 they can truly take BPA between OL, Watkins (doubt he slides that much but who knows), or whoever else they have as BPA.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jrry -- big fan of your work! Thank you for the time and effort since I don't watch nearly the amount of college football, or file, that you do. Will you be doing similar work for other positions?

Probably not. Just too time consuming.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that. Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed but I understand.

Heh, I would love to do it but it means watching nearly every prospect that will likely get drafted which takes a good bit of time. But if I do have time, I'll try to throw some other lists out. :D

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Heh, I would love to do it but it means watching nearly every prospect that will likely get drafted which takes a good bit of time. But if I do have time, I'll try to throw some other lists out. :D
Be sure to rate the punters:razz:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Jrry, you still on board with a first round WR?

It's no secret that you like the kid from TAMU, just curious on what your thought process is at this point in the offseason.

For me, I'm convinced it comes down to what deal we get for a trade down. If we were to get Cleveland's pick at 4, that's the sweet spot for Watkins. I'm completely convinced that Jeff will take another first round WR.

Ramifications

That is the big question.

Who do you take if they are all there at 1.4 or 1.6?

If we don't get Watkins (say they draft Robinson) not sure I hope they get Evans, but no other WR probably.

Just like if they don't get Robinson or Matthews (Watkins instead), I hope they shift their attention to DB or possibly guard later.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take Matthews or Robinson. Bigger need, better value and there isn't as much talent as there is at WR...plus the talent falls off to a greater extent.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My pick right now is Robinson. Good work @jrry32.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I tried to hold back because I am a PSU fan and know this would sound Homerish. But Jrry you are sleeping on Allen Robinson. He is better than Beckham and Benjamin and the rest of the list ahead of him with the exciting of Watkins and Evans. I have watched everyone of his plays and he is excellent with the ball in his hands. He has great vision and can find the smallest hole and manage to get through it. He was the one guy other teams keyed on when playing PSU and he continually came up with the big plays despite all of the Extra attention from the defenses. When the game was on the line he wanted the ball, beat the double coverage and made the play. I Personally think he is a better WR than Evans, but that is more of a case of what style you want/need. Robinsons style is very similar to Watkins with lots of WR screens, good YAC, high points the ball nicely, good hands. He runs good routes, doesn't body catch, and made huge plays for PSU. He played well against there toughest competition in OSU. He also had a true freshman QB throwing to him all year and the year before he had Matt McGloin throwing to him.

Robinson will make some team very happy that they picked him.