2014 Draft/Prospects Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
El Juggernauto said:
I'm on this, I love his intangibles. I think he has immense potential. Also, whoever said that they wanted Cloney, your high. That ain't happening. Barring any major setbacks. That man child will be number 1. And we don't need a DE. I'm not a draftnit like a lot of you. But that I'm sure of.

I know we don't need a DE, he is more of a luxery pick. I'll settle for Tuitt and a Safety also lol.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
El Juggernauto said:
nighttrain said:
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy posited:
Or #5 who is an excellent yute

I understand that we don't use the designations of FS and SS anymore but I'll be hugely disappointed if we draft another Safety whose skills would label him as a SS on another team. There are many occasions where we need a great center fielder IMO.
with 4.4 speed and 6'2'' and 205 and growing, i'm gonna keep my hopes on Cody Davis til they cut him
train

I'm on this, I love his intangibles. I think he has immense potential. Also, whoever said that they wanted Cloney, your high. That ain't happening. Barring any major setbacks. That man child will be number 1. And we don't need a DE. I'm not a draftnit like a lot of you. But that I'm sure of.

At this point (and things will change, that's the one thing I am sure of), if for some reason the Rams were on the clock with Clowney on the board, that'd seem like an excellent way of parlaying some more picks in a trade down.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
PrometheusFaulk said:
At this point (and things will change, that's the one thing I am sure of), if for some reason the Rams were on the clock with Clowney on the board, that'd seem like an excellent way of parlaying some more picks in a trade down.

I've thought about this and wouldn't mind it one bit. Bridgewater will probably go #1 overall, and whoever has #2 can auction it off a QB needy team or for a team massivly in love with Clowney. If somehow the Skins sucked so much we got the #1/2 overall, well holy hell. It's nice to dream.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That's what I'm hoping for. Hopefully the skins suck, and we can trade out of the top pick and collect a kings ransom again

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Only way we get a shot at Clowney is if he gets injured early this year. Like Memento said, he is the best defensive prospect in years. If he continues on his current trajectory, it would shock me if he wasnt the number one overall pick. Even with the premium placed on QBs

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We can haz Clowneys?

Yay!

Seriously though - need or not. If he's there and we can get him, don't even blink. Just pull the trigger. What a freaking rotation that would be. Fresh pass rushers all game long. Opposing QBs would be running for their lives constantly.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
X said:
We can haz Clowneys?

Yay!

Seriously though - need or not. If he's there and we can get him, don't even blink. Just pull the trigger. What a freaking rotation that would be. Fresh pass rushers all game long. Opposing QBs would be running for their lives constantly.

With the cap being what it is, I'd think you'd kinda have to let Quinn walk after '14, or trade him if you did that. I don't see how you could make two cats that good into situational guys, and it seems like a waste to put one of them at LB in a 4-3.

I mean the Giants and Kiwanuka's one thing, Quinn's got way more potential than that dude. Not to say Clowney isn't great, but at one time (before the suspension and the brain deal) Quinn was thought of as a potential number 1 himself, and he's already cashed in on that potential last year. Not to pull a Bowie over Jordan, but this looks like a potentially deep class to me, lots of chances for good impact at positions that might be of greater need.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
We can haz Clowneys?

Yay!

Makes for a tempting decision. It really does. I love Clowney as a prospect. I love him even more than Robert Quinn. Even more than Chris Long. More than anyone not named Julius Peppers (who is an absolute freak of nature). And a defensive rotation with Long, Quinn, Clowney and Hayes (because I anticipate Sims testing free agency after this year) would be devastating to anyone.

However...if you could package those picks and get a bounty of picks - and I'm talking about a bounty that could potentially be greater than RG3's was, since teams will be bidding for the right to pick Clowney or the top quarterback left at the spot, be it Bridgewater or Boyd - can you say that you wouldn't even be tempted to pull the trigger on it? And like Prometheus said, how do you resign Quinn with Clowney on the team?

It makes for an interesting debate, that's for certain.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
X said:
We can haz Clowneys?

Yay!

Makes for a tempting decision. It really does. I love Clowney as a prospect. I love him even more than Robert Quinn. Even more than Chris Long. More than anyone not named Julius Peppers (who is an absolute freak of nature). And a defensive rotation with Long, Quinn, Clowney and Hayes (because I anticipate Sims testing free agency after this year) would be devastating to anyone.

However...if you could package those picks and get a bounty of picks - and I'm talking about a bounty that could potentially be greater than RG3's was, since teams will be bidding for the right to pick Clowney or the top quarterback left at the spot, be it Bridgewater or Boyd - can you say that you wouldn't even be tempted to pull the trigger on it? And like Prometheus said, how do you resign Quinn with Clowney on the team?

It makes for an interesting debate, that's for certain.
I mean, yeah. If we could get a package deal similar to what we got from Snyder, then I'd seriously have to consider it. But man .... that dude is a straight up beast. I don't know of many LTs in this division that could keep him at bay, so that means assigning MORE dudes to block him. It would definitely be a good "problem" to have though - fo sho.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yamahopper thinking O-line:
it's hard to tell what needs the Rams will have until last years draft class gets on the field.

That would include what happens this year with our two tackles. Everything is up in the air until we know if Long is back, Saffold is back and willing to re-sign with the Rams. When those three questions are answered we'll know where we might go in the draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I will read every one of these comments, and threads, but it's way too early for me to be putting a list together, however, you have some excellent players in your list. I want to see how much Barr will improve this year, only his second playing defense. Clowney has to everybody's #1. He would have been the 1st overall this year...

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
All this talk of Clowney seems a bit far-fetched to me; neither the Rams nor the Redskins (even without RGIII) is going to be bad enough to be in contention for a top three pick.

Our o-line could require a major overhaul next year: Wells and Dahl are getting old; Saffold could leave in free agency; Long's health remains a concern; we have no clear-cut starter at left guard. I could see us using both first rounders on the o-line, although a top-class safety like Clinton-Dix would also have to enter the equation.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Flipper_336 summed it up:
All this talk of Clowney seems a bit far-fetched to me; neither the Rams nor the Redskins (even without RGIII) is going to be bad enough to be in contention for a top three pick.

Our o-line could require a major overhaul next year: Wells and Dahl are getting old; Saffold could leave in free agency; Long's health remains a concern; we have no clear-cut starter at left guard. I could see us using both first rounders on the o-line, although a top-class safety like Clinton-Dix would also have to enter the equation.
:plus1:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:

Yeah, but, if we collectively WILL the Redskins to have a poor record, then we might end up with a high pick next year. Along that vein, I'm a little disappointed in the lackluster ill-will-willing that went on here last year. The Redskins had a good record, and I blame all of YOU.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
X said:
albefree69 said:

Yeah, but, if we collectively WILL the Redskins to have a poor record, then we might end up with a high pick next year. Along that vein, I'm a little disappointed in the lackluster ill-will-willing that went on here last year. The Redskins had a good record, and I blame all of YOU.

Sounds like we need to set up some spite drills for the offseason. Pierre Garçon kicks puppies.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I guess it's up to us new guys to carry the ball. I'm up to the challenge.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
PrometheusFaulk said:
Sounds like we need to set up some spite drills for the offseason. Pierre Garçon kicks puppies.
I've got a far simpler solution. I'm going to place £100 on the Redskins every week. They're guaranteed to lose then.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Flipper_336 said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
I've got a far simpler solution. I'm going to place £100 on the Redskins every week. They're guaranteed to lose then.

Your sacrifice will not go unnoticed (if not reimbursed, is kickstart still a thing?).