2014 Draft as of Week 7

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
#2 - Greg Robinson - Started for two weeks now, proving to be a mauler in the run game. Has had a hiccup here or there, but has really shown to be a weapon at guard.

#13 - Aaron Donald - Looks to be the most disruptive player on the Rams' touted D-line. Could be the most disruptive defensive player in this year's draft so far, although Mack looks good as well.

#41 - Lamarcus Joyner - Starting in the slot, has looked better when shifting over to FS for short periods. Playing OK. Oddly, not the best secondary player drafted by the Rams.

#75 - Tre Mason - Great in one start, very good production in short period of time. Looks like a player with burst and vision. Personal note: still would have taken either Swanson or Gabe Jackson, but he's playing well and providing value now.

#110 - Mo Alexander - I think he's playing on coverage teams, which is nice. No snaps (I think) at safety yet.

#188 - EJ Gaines - Has played really, really well at outside CB. Started all 6 games, made a net positive impact overall throughout. Looks like a player. Massive steal in the 6th. MIZ-

#214 - Garrett Gilbert - Practice squad

#226 - Mitchell Van Dyk - Cut, I don't think he's on anyone else's PS

#241 - Christian Bryant - Practice squad

#249 - Michael Sam - On Dallas's practice squad

#250 - Demetrius Rhaney - IR

As it stands right now, our top 4 picks are all starting and making good impacts as of right now for the Rams. That's pretty damned nice. Also having a 6th-rounder locking down an outside corner spot - and playing up to the challenge, not just being a body out there - is impressive.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And while we're at it... 2013 a year and 7 weeks later:

#8 - Tavon Austin - Being used as a 'weapon' by Schottenheimer. Not a big factor in the return game, mysteriously, but somewhat productive on the field.

#30 - Alec Ogletree - Seems to have regressed. Still the most athletic guy out on the defense, but doesn't seem to know where he's supposed to be sometimes. Starting. Producing a bit, had an AMAZING rookie year, but a bit of an enigma right now.

#71 - TJ McDonald - Beast at SS. Can cover well for the position, always seems to be in place to make a stop, and hits like Adam Archuleta before the injuries.

#92 - Stedman Bailey - Rotational WR, core ST player (yay punt return thing).

#113 - Barrett Jones - Still a question mark, but on the active roster now and the primary backup to Scott Wells while Barnes is hurt.

#149 - Brandon McGee - Been in 2 games this year, hurt quite a bit. Has fallen down to 5th on the CB charts with Gaines's emergence.

#160 - Zac Stacy - Starter when healthy, part of a ballsy rotation. Bruising back, hits the hole OK, not as dynamic as Mason but a steady, productive back.

Top 4 guys are starting or rotational players, and again we have a late-round (5th) steal in Stacy. Interestingly, it looks like our 2014 draft is out-performing our 2013 guys at this point, although both have served to stock up the depth chart.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think Mo Alexander was inactive, but overall agree it's great to see the contributions already instead of just waiting for development. Only continued downer I have to the 2014 class is zero LBs taken.

jjab360

Legend
Donald might be a top 3 DT in the league already and Robinson might be our best offensive lineman. Heck of a first round. Joyner is a contributor with a lot of potential and Mason and Gaines are real starting caliber players as rookies. I loved this draft in May and I love it even more now.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
We finally saw how disruptive our D-line can be this year. Very impressive for Donald to be leading that line.
Even though I wanted a QB early rounds, I can't fault any of the top 4 draft picks.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Besides all that's been said, remember Fish really really really wanted Mo Alexander, and the kid's size, strength, speed combination is ridiculous and he moves like a cornerback. Maybe not this year, but I expect a McDonald-Alexander tandem in the coming years once Alexander gets better in coverage. Think of that hard hitting safety tandem.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Besides all that's been said, remember Fish really really really wanted Mo Alexander, and the kid's size, strength, speed combination is ridiculous and he moves like a cornerback. Maybe not this year, but I expect a McDonald-Alexander tandem in the coming years once Alexander gets better in coverage. Think of that hard hitting safety tandem.
I keep hearing that Alexander is a strongside guy, like McDonald. I'm not sure you'll see the both of them on the field at the same time, but who knows? I'm actually more intrigued by Bryant as a FS project.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I keep hearing that Alexander is a strongside guy, like McDonald. I'm not sure you'll see the both of them on the field at the same time, but who knows? I'm actually more intrigued by Bryant as a FS project.

Fish tends to not have distinctions between SS and FS, pretty interchangeable, and McD is getting better in coverage every week so he could even play some FS. I'm thinking you'll see them both at some point, but maybe I'm wrong. Bryant intrigues me too, though I'm not sure how much upside he has.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hmm... this might be more fun. Rams Depth Chart as of Week 7:

QB: Austin Davis (2012 UDFA), Shaun Hill (2014 FA), Case Keenum (2014 FA)
WR: Kenny Britt (2014 FA), Brian Quick (2012 2nd), Tavon Austin (2013 1st), Stedman Bailey (2013 3rd), Chris Givens (2012 4th), Austin Pettis (2011 3rd)
RB: Zac Stacy (2013 5th), Benny Cunningham (2013 UDFA), Tre Mason (2014 3rd), Trey Watts (2014 UDFA), Chase Reynolds (2011 UDFA)
TE: Jared Cook (2013 FA), Lance Kendricks (2011 2nd), Cory Harkey (2012 UDFA), Alex Bayer (2014 UDFA)
T: Jake Long (2013 FA), Joe Barksdale (2012 FA), Mike Person (2013 FA)
G: Greg Robinson (2014 1st), Rodger Saffold (2010 2nd), Davin Joseph (2014 FA)
C: Scott Wells (2012 FA), Tim Barnes (2011 UDFA), Barrett Jones (2013 4th)

OFFENSE TOTALS: 11 drafted (8 by this regime), 7 UDFA (5 by this regime)

DT: Michael Brockers (2012 1st), Aaron Donald (2014 1st), Kendall Langford (2012 FA), Alex Carrington (2014 FA)
DE: Robert Quinn (2011 1st), Chris Long (2008 1st), William Hayes (2012 FA), Eugene Sims (2010 6th), Ethan Westbrooks (2014 UDFA)
OLB: Alec Ogletree (2013 1st), Jo-Lonn Dunbar (2012 FA), Will Herring (2014 FA)
MLB: James Lauranaitis (2009 2nd), Daren Bates (2013 UDFA)
CB: Janoris Jenkins (2012 2nd), Trumaine Johnson (2012 3rd), EJ Gaines (2014 6th), Lamarcus Joyner (2014 2nd), Brandon McGee (2013 5th), Marcus Roberson (2014 UDFA)
S: TJ McDonald (2013 3rd), Rodney McLeod (2012 UDFA), Mo Alexander (2014 4th), Cody Davis (2013 UDFA)

DEFENSE TOTALS: 14 drafted (10 by this regime), 5 UDFA (5 by this regime)

Nice job building a roster by Snead.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have always thought that Joyners best use was going to be at the Safety position!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Fish tends to not have distinctions between SS and FS, pretty interchangeable, and McD is getting better in coverage every week so he could even play some FS. I'm thinking you'll see them both at some point, but maybe I'm wrong. Bryant intrigues me too, though I'm not sure how much upside he has.
Bryant may end up being the best of all the Safeties. He is fearless, and has better instincts than the guys on the active roster. He needs this "red shirt" year to get all the way back from a devastating ankle injury. While he is undersized (only 5'9) he isn't afraid to hit. Similar to Joyner's role at FSU, Bryant was the leader of the Ohio State Defense, and they took a big hit when they lost him to the ankle injury.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I look forward to seeing depth and people having to fight for a job at FS. McLeod has flashed at times, but overall I still feel like he's a liability and one of 2 glaring holes on the defense (the other being Dunbar).

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't like the idea of both of them in there when the other team passes. Coverage still isn't McD's strong suit and Alexander has hardly ever done it. That's why I was confused about the pick. They're very similar players that don't complement each other. I also don't like Fisher's stance on S's. I think it's easier to find a traditional SS and FS than it is to find two players that play both well.

We'll see how they develop, though.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

I think that describes Spags philosophy more so than Fisher's and especially Gregg Williams. Now, that's not to say a SS with coverage skills won't be utilized, but Williams has used the big-man box safety in every job he's had. In New Orleans that guy was Roman Harper.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
#30 - Alec Ogletree - Seems to have regressed. Still the most athletic guy out on the defense, but doesn't seem to know where he's supposed to be sometimes. Starting. Producing a bit, had an AMAZING rookie year, but a bit of an enigma right now.

I hate to pick on AO, but he has REALLY regressed. Unbelievable how rough of a game he had against Seattle. Bad tackling. Out of position. Didn't hold the edge when that was clearly his assignment. Just poor fundamental football all the way around. He didn't have great fundamentals his rookie year either, but I was hoping between normal growth and Greg Williams schemes that this would be a HUGE year for AO. Just not working out that way.

Using PFF stats to quantify things, AO has the worst PFF grade for any player on the Rams D with a -9.8 grade. Also per PFF, AO is the worst 4-3 OLB in the league out of 32 in their major 4-3 OLB tally.

Time to wake up and turn it around, big guy!

#188 - EJ Gaines - Has played really, really well at outside CB. Started all 6 games, made a net positive impact overall throughout. Looks like a player. Massive steal in the 6th. MIZ-

To balance the AO harsh words with something positive, it is absolutely unbelievable what a positive impact Gaines has had. He's the anti-Ogletree, the anti-JJenkins. He just goes out on the field, and plays hard nosed fundamental football.

PFF stats, Gaines is currently ranked as the 2nd best defensive player on the Rams team (!!!!) with a +5.3. He's currently ranked as the 13th best CB out of 104 players. For a guy picked in the 6th round, where most 6th rounders are happy to make the team, it is absolutely amazing what this young man has done.

~~

The PFF #1 player on the Rams team - Aaron Donald, who I think deserves ANOTHER thread. Yes, another one. He's that good.