2014 All-Draft Team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
2014 All-Draft Team
Daniel Jeremiah
NFL Media analyst | NFL.com
+Follow on Twitter

When the 2014 NFL Draft commences next week, 32 teams will converge on Radio City Music Hall to divvy up, one pick at a time, the crop of rising rookies. But what if you were building a squad from scratch -- and you didn't have to take turns with anyone else? What if you could construct a starting roster consisting of the best prospects at each position?

As the big event nears, I thought I'd take a pass at assembling a 2014 All-Draft Team, filling out a starting offensive, defensive and special teams lineup with the top talents available. Many of the names below are highly recognizable, but some are flying slightly below the radar.

Agree with my selections? Feel differently? Let me know @MoveTheSticks.

offense_pg_600.jpg

Offense

Quarterback: Teddy Bridgewater
Bridgewater is the top signal-caller in this draft, despite his miserable pro-day showing. He's already comfortable playing under center. He's accurate. He's an outstanding decision-maker. Bridgewater might lack ideal size (he checks in at 6-foot-2, 214 pounds) and a power arm, but he makes up for it with timing, touch and poise.

Projection: Late first-round pick.

Running back: Carlos Hyde
Hyde has the power to move the pile between the tackles and enough speed to turn the corner on outside runs. He also has excellent hands out of the backfield -- and that will keep him on the field for all three downs.

Projection: Second-round pick.

Wide receiver: Sammy Watkins
Watkins has the wheels to stretch the field, and he's strong enough to work between the hashes. He also has the kind of after-the-catch speed, power and elusiveness to turn short passes into long touchdowns.

Projection: Top-five pick.

Wide receiver: Mike Evans
Evans has a rare blend of size (6-5, 231), speed (4.53-second 40-yard dash) and ball skills. He is a nightmare matchup in the red zone who could easily post double-digit touchdowns as a rookie.

Projection: Top-10 pick.

Wide receiver: Odell Beckham
With Watkins and Evans lining up outside, Beckham would be an ideal receiver to put in the slot. He is arguably the best route-runner in the entire draft, someone who explodes in and out of the break point. He's also electric after the catch.

Projection: Top-20 pick.

Tight end: Eric Ebron
Ebron is by far the most talented tight end in this draft class. He has outstanding speed (4.6 40) and he's a clean route-runner. Ebron creates a lot of separation on tape and has a big catching radius. He isn't a dominant blocker -- but then, he wouldn't have to be with this collection of offensive linemen.

Projection: Top-15 pick.

Offensive tackle: Greg Robinson
Robinson is a dominant run blocker. He consistently collapses defenders at the line of scrimmage and he's athletic enough to adjust in space. Though Robinson doesn't have a lot of experience in pass protection, he does have all the tools to excel in that area, as well.

Offensive tackle: Jake Matthews
Matthews has excellent foot quickness, balance and instincts. He isn't as physically dominant as Robinson, but he's currently more polished in pass protection. For that reason, he'll start on the left side and allow Robinson to maul defenders in the run game while lined up at right tackle.

Projection: Top-10 pick.

Offensive guard: Zack Martin
Martin played left tackle at Notre Dame, but on our team, he'll slide inside to play guard. He has Pro Bowl potential at this position, thanks to his ability to squat on bull rushers in the passing game and create movement at the point of attack in the run game.

Offensive guard: Xavier Su'a-Filo
Su'a-Filo brings a nasty temperament to our team. I would line him up to play next to Robinson at right guard, as both are dominant in the run game. With these two nasty blockers on the field, I don't see anyone stopping Hyde on fourth-and-short.

Projection: Second-round pick.

Center: Weston Richburg
Richburg is the top center prospect in this draft class. He's a little light (298), but he has the strength to hold up against power rushers, and he's very effective at the second level in the run game.

Projection: Late second-round pick.

Defense

Defensive end: Jadeveon Clowney

Clowney is a no-brainer selection for this team. He has the size (6-6, 266), length and explosiveness to take over a game.

Projection: Top-three pick.

Defensive end: Anthony Barr
Barr is ideally suited to be a 3-4 outside linebacker, but we're still going to put him at end in our 4-3 scheme. He has the speed and athleticism to create outside pressure in the passing game and enough athleticism to peel off and cover running backs or tight ends if needed.

Defensive tackle: Aaron Donald
I'd line Donald up on the same side as Clowney and force offenses to single-block one of them. Donald has rare first-step quickness as a pass rusher and his motor never stops revving.

Defensive tackle: Timmy Jernigan
Jernigan will handle the run-stuffing duties on our defensive line. He has the strength to consistently hold the point of attack, but he also brings the quickness to penetrate and disrupt.

Linebacker: Khalil Mack
Mack's versatility makes him a perfect fit for our defense. He would terrorize running backs and tight ends when blitzing -- and he's athletic enough to cover them, as well.

Linebacker: C.J. Mosley
Mosley would be the captain of our defense. He has outstanding instincts against both the run and the pass. He also has the range to make plays sideline-to-sideline, and he's one of the few linebackers in this draft who can shock and shed interior offensive linemen.

Linebacker: Ryan Shazier
Shazier has rare speed and explosiveness for the position. He's an outstanding blitzer who will generate turnovers with his physical brand of play.

Cornerback: Justin Gilbert
Gilbert has the size (6-foot, 202) and speed (4.37 40) to match up with the NFL's bigger wideouts. He gets his hands on a lot of footballs and is a threat to score every time he picks off a pass.

Cornerback: Darqueze Dennard
Dennard is more physical than Gilbert; we'll keep him in press coverage in our defensive scheme. He's fundamentally very sound, and he's also an outstanding run defender.

Safety: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Clinton-Dix would start at free safety, what with his combination of range and ball skills. He has enough size (6-1, 208) and athleticism to match up against top-tier tight ends, as well.

Safety: Calvin Pryor
Pryor would be the enforcer in our secondary; he's aggressive to fill the alley and he generates "wow" shots upon arrival.

Punter: Steven Clark
Clark excels at dropping punts inside the 20-yard line.

Projection: Seventh-round pick.

Kicker: Chris Boswell
Boswell has a big leg. He's widely regarded as the top kicker in the draft.

Projection: Seventh-round pick.

Returner: Dri Archer
Archer was the fastest man at this year's NFL Scouting Combine, posting a 4.26-second 40, and that speed shows up on tape. Archer was the fastest man at this year's NFL Scouting Combine, posting a 4.26-second 40, and that speed shows up on tape. He returned four kickoffs for touchdowns in the past two seasons.

Projection: Third-round pick.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Offense

Quarterback: Teddy Bridgewater
Bridgewater is the top signal-caller in this draft, despite his miserable pro-day showing. He's already comfortable playing under center. He's accurate. He's an outstanding decision-maker. Bridgewater might lack ideal size (he checks in at 6-foot-2, 214 pounds) and a power arm, but he makes up for it with timing, touch and poise.

:whistle:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This looks interesting. I'm going to do my own team (as a note, I'm trying to include as little of Jeremiah's prospects as possible):

QB: Blake Bortles (UCF)

RB: Tre Mason (Auburn)

WR: Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State)

WR: Brandin Cooks (Oregon State)

TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Washington)

TE: C.J. Fiedorowicz (Iowa)

LT: Jake Matthews (Texas A&M)

LG: Xavier Su'a-Filo (UCLA)

C: Marcus Martin (USC)

RG: David Yankey (Stanford)

RT: Greg Robinson (Auburn)

LDE: Kony Ealy (Missouri)

LDT: Aaron Donald (Pittsburgh)

RDT: Ra'Shede Hageman (Minnesota)

RDE: Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina)

WLB: Khalil Mack (Buffalo)

ILB: C.J. Mosely (Alabama)

SLB: Jeremiah Attaochu (Georgia Tech)

LCB: Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech)

RCB: Jason Verrett (TCU)

FS: Lamarcus Joyner (Vanderbilt)

SS: Deone Bucannon (Washington State)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That isn't a challenge. We did one on another board where you could build an offense and defense with two first round picks, three second round picks, four third round picks, and two fourth round picks.(at least based on where they were projected...you could also draft guys projected lower than the 4th if you wanted)

Under those rules, I chose:
QB: Teddy Bridgewater(1st)
HB: Charles Sims(4th)
XWR: Jordan Matthews(2nd)
ZWR: Jared Abbrederis(3rd)
SLWR: Robert Herron(4th)
TE: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins(2nd)
LT: Jake Matthews(1st)
LG: David Yankey(3rd)
C: Travis Swanson(3rd)
RG: Gabe Jackson(3rd)
RT: Ja'Wuan James(2nd)

LDE: Kareem Martin(2nd)
NT: Will Sutton(3rd)
UT: Aaron Donald(1st)
RDE: JaDeveon Clowney(1st)
WLB: Telvin Smith(3rd)
MLB: Chris Borland(3rd)
SLB: Yawin Smallwood(4th)
LCB: Phillip Gaines(2nd)
RCB: Nevin Lawson(4th)
FS: LaMarcus Joyner(2nd)
SS: Dion Bailey(3rd)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were doing it Jeremiah's way, it would be:
QB - Teddy Bridgewater
HB - Bishop Sankey
XWR - Sammy Watkins
ZWR - Mike Evans
SLWR - Odell Beckham Jr.
TE - Eric Ebron
LT - Jake Matthews
LG - Zack Martin
C - Weston Richburg
RG - Greg Robinson
RT - Ja'Wuan James

LDE - Dominique Easley
NT - Louis Nix
UT - Aaron Donald
RDE - JaDeveon Clowney
WLB - Ryan Shazier
MLB - C.J. Mosley
SLB - Khalil Mack
LCB - Darqueze Dennard
RCB - Kyle Fuller
SLCB - Jason Verrett
FS - LaMarcus Joyner
SS - Jimmie Ward

Last edited:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
You ain't fooling me, not even a top 20 pick IMO.
I was listening to Mike Mayock and he think's he's a top 10 pick. The way he and other proponents say is that he had some lingering injuries this year and offenses schemed against him. He was apparently great the year before.

I will trust Fisher and Snead's opinion-espcially after taking McDonald in the 3rd round (who seems like he could be a very good player). It seems that Fisher never believed in taking a safety high before, but now with Williams as our DC, we will really need a ball hawking safety.

Alan

Legend
I've only read a couple (maybe only one) expert who doesn't think Ha-Ha isn't the best DB available this year. If he's there at #13 I'll amble to the podium with his name on our card. If he's there at #14 to 19 after a trade down, I'll teleport to the podium (didn't say run because, you know) with his name on our card. He's the best IMO too.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I'm scared to death of drafting any player from Alabama, I find it funny that one of the best schools in college football has a bust list as big as they do...

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
This is my take

QB - Derek Carr
RB - Ka'deem Carey
WR - Sammy Watkins
WR - Mike Evans
SLR - Brandin Cooks
LT - Jake Matthews
LG - Greg Robinson