2013 v 2014 draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I get the impression that Snead really wants a high first rounder from the Redskins this year, more so than last year. There is more separation in talent level at the top of this draft than last years and he wants one of those premier players in the top 10.

Last year the top of the first round was not much different from the bottom in terms of talent level, so we really didn't suffer all that much from the Skins making the playoffs. We did make the move up for Tavon, but it cost us a lot less than what the Falcons paid for Juilo because of the weakness of the draft.

This year is a lot different with the QBs and guys like Clowney and Watkins clearly better prospects than anyone last year.

In a nutshell, 2014 is a better year than 2013 to have a high pick, and hopefully the Redskins will comply with doing worse this year than they did last year when they were 3-6 also.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well if we get another guy as "special" as Quinn or TA or .....................Sam? gotta think we're gonna be in the 5 to 6 pro bowlers strata that is a general mark of sure playoff contenders ,and don't forget Ogletree he's a special athlete as well and will explode on someone again this year.

It's nice to see a team building with this sort of talent, now if only Pead would:heh: JK :uhm:

F. Mulder

Starter
I think the issue for me is if Washington and the Rams picks DON'T put them in position for a certain player or the draft position is below what the consensus "Top-Tier" part of the draft is. Do the package the firsts or one of their high firsts and a second to get into that position Do they hold tight and take quality players who are likely going to both be in the top half of the draft but not consensus "can't miss" players or do they just trade down with one or both. In other words, last draft they targeted Austin as a must-have and chased him up the draft board to get him. Does this team feel they are one marquee player away from turning the corner or are they satisfied with continuing to stockpile another 4-5 top 50 type players.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think we have a couple areas of need but if there ever was a year for BPA this might be it. I tihnk this year should be more about pure talent than depth. If we can get a blue chip player for OL, DL or S/CB we need to do it. I think this year's safety class is not as strong as last year so that may require a 1st rounder. (if that's the direction Snead/Fish want to go)

A ton of foortball left to determine where our pick and Washington's pick end up. At this point it looks like 2 mid first rounders. Going to be a very interesting draft and offseason this year.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I agree with the OP. I'm not sure if he wants that high pick to keep or to barter away for more picks. The Rams need more elite players, like Quinn to put them over the top so that could be his target. But this draft is so much deeper that a great value can be had latter latter in the 1st and 2nd rd's.

Every draft there is 32 1st rd picks. That doesn't mean there are always 32 players of true 1st rd Quality. Last year maybe 15 this year mid 20's to 30.

So this is a game 1 starter draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still think the Rams will have two first round selections close together in the around the 9 to 12 selection spots. That situation will likely cause Snead to desire to trade back like Snead did with the Falcons & ended up selecting 1st Ogletree & 3rd Stedman Bailey. Snead has traded all of his first round picks since his arrival. Four times (3 trades down one trade up). Why do we think he will not do it again. Snead traded his first round pick in 2012 downward twice. this yr. Snead traded up once and traded down on the other.

Rams have 46 players under contract for 2014. That's on the top upper level amount from most of the other teams. Rams of course will be looking to strengthen areas of concerns & @ the same time looking for bargain top prospects that may fall into the Rams grasp. Sneads top NON Ram UFA signings of (2012-Finnegan, Wells & Langford) (2013-Long & Cook) then the Rams own UFA's ( Chris Long, W.Hayes & J. Laurinaitis) have been highly costly. This upcoming 2014 draft may even be more need based than the last two.

Cap $$ for UFA in 2014 is more limited as I see it. Snead must replace some big key Ram players with only one bonified decent desired returnee that would be OLB Dunbar. Snead also has one of his highly costly UFA signing very questionable starting CB in Cortland Finnegan.

2014 needs are listed below:
Starting Right/Swing OT- Saffold ?
Starting OLG- Williams (RFA Smith & Barrett Jones plu, Mike Persons & Tim Barnes)
Starting OSLB- Dunbar (Snead has an four UDFA rookie Armstrong, Bates, Stewart & Steward)
Starting Safety- Stewart (Snead has UDFA Daniels & Davis)
Top Reserve QB-Clemens ?
Top reserve LB'er Witherspoon (Snead has an four UDFA rookie Armstrong, Bates, Stewart & Steward)

Snead's present 2014 need list should look simular to this... CB, OT, OG, Safety, QB & LB's.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I have a hunch that the 'Skins are dead in the water. They go Philly, San Fran, Giants, Chiefs, Falcons, Cowboys and Giants. I can see maybe 2 wins coming out of that? It's hard to predict where that will leave them in the grand scheme of things with a glut of 2 and 3 win teams out there right now, but I like the odds of that becoming a top 10 pick. I think Bonifay is pretty close in his guesstimation.

nighttrain

Legend
Bonifay said it best
Starting Right/Swing OT- Saffold ?
Starting OLG- Williams (RFA Smith & Barrett Jones plu, Mike Persons & Tim Barnes)
Starting OSLB- Dunbar (Snead has an four UDFA rookie Armstrong, Bates, Stewart & Steward)
Starting Safety- Stewart (Snead has UDFA Daniels & Davis)
Top Reserve QB-Clemens ?
Top reserve LB'er Witherspoon (Snead has an four UDFA rookie Armstrong, Bates, Stewart & Steward)
we need reserves and maybe two or three starters, this depending on the development of last draft. Not to much in my opinion, not much at all from two years ago
train

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Bonifay said it best

we need reserves and maybe two or three starters, this depending on the development of last draft. Not to much in my opinion, not much at all from two years ago
train
I agree. We have McLeod and McDonald at S which is a strength to me, not a weakness. More depth maybe, but not a top priority.
CB is the same- Jenks and Tru as starters and we need a lil depth behind them.
LB I think we 're-sign Dunbar and we're set.
D LINE is solid.
Offensive line is a big ? to me. Lots of money tied up there but IMO they are all earning it.
Skill positions are pretty well set.
This is the first draft in a while that I feel like we don't have to have anything. We can afford to wheel and deal.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I get the impression that Snead really wants a high first rounder from the Redskins this year, more so than last year. There is more separation in talent level at the top of this draft than last years and he wants one of those premier players in the top 10.

Last year the top of the first round was not much different from the bottom in terms of talent level, so we really didn't suffer all that much from the Skins making the playoffs. We did make the move up for Tavon, but it cost us a lot less than what the Falcons paid for Juilo because of the weakness of the draft.

This year is a lot different with the QBs and guys like Clowney and Watkins clearly better prospects than anyone last year.

In a nutshell, 2014 is a better year than 2013 to have a high pick, and hopefully the Redskins will comply with doing worse this year than they did last year when they were 3-6 also.

If one of the picks is attractive enough to another team to cough up a swap of their first rounder and a first next year you know Snead is going to do that deal. The guy has said he loves the draft and finding the gem street free agents.

He is not afraid of risk, and he has brains and balls.

I'm good with that because IMO that's a great combo for a guy managing talent aquisition. I prefer a guy with no trepidation versus the guy who is afraid to take a swing for the fences.

Look at his history. First he makes the trade to WASH, then makes two more moves to add more picks in a draft that is level as far as talent very deep into it. And then in the next draft he makes a move up in a year that is limited in talent other than the top part.

You can bet one of those first rounders will get traded. And if he gets a chance to cut a good deal to move both you know he will.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the issue for me is if Washington and the Rams picks DON'T put them in position for a certain player or the draft position is below what the consensus "Top-Tier" part of the draft is. Do the package the firsts or one of their high firsts and a second to get into that position Do they hold tight and take quality players who are likely going to both be in the top half of the draft but not consensus "can't miss" players or do they just trade down with one or both. In other words, last draft they targeted Austin as a must-have and chased him up the draft board to get him. Does this team feel they are one marquee player away from turning the corner or are they satisfied with continuing to stockpile another 4-5 top 50 type players.

Based on past performance, it's highly likely Snead/Fisher wheel and deal in the first round. They are 2 for 2 so far. My guess is that if they see a guy that they really want they will move up to get him. And I don't view it as them thinking they are one marquee player away as much as them wanting to add an impact player who is clearly a step up from the others. I would normally say they are going to move down like they did in 2012, but I get a sense in listening to Snead that he really wants a high pick player.

F. Mulder

Starter
Based on past performance, it's highly likely Snead/Fisher wheel and deal in the first round. They are 2 for 2 so far. My guess is that if they see a guy that they really want they will move up to get him. And I don't view it as them thinking they are one marquee player away as much as them wanting to add an impact player who is clearly a step up from the others. I would normally say they are going to move down like they did in 2012, but I get a sense in listening to Snead that he really wants a high pick player.
Ok, do you think they have someone in particular in mind or are you just saying that of the top 5-10 they are likely to show an interest in that player to package a deal to make it happen?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Ok, do you think they have someone in particular in mind or are you just saying that of the top 5-10 they are likely to show an interest in that player to package a deal to make it happen?

Right now, I think it's the later. I've been reading that there are about 6 or 7 super blue chip players in this draft, then there's a clear drop off. I think Snead wants one of them.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Watched Clemson GT last night. Sammy Watkins has blazing speed, surprising strength, great hands and astonishing body control.

This kid has pro bowl written all over him. Rams will have to move up to get him, he's going top 6. I like him better than anyone since Megatron. Yup, better than AJ or Julio.

Last edited by a moderator:

jap

Legend
Watched Clemson GT last night. Sammy Watkins has blazing speed, surprising strength, great hands and astonishing body control.

This kid has pro bowl written all over him. Rams will have to move up to get him, he's going top 6. I like him better than anyone since Megatron. Yup, better than AJ or Julio.

Can you imagine him with a matured combo of TA, Quick, Sted, AP, and Chris Givens? Not to mention a mature TE crew of Cook, Lance Hendricks, Cory Harkey, and Mike McNeil? With Zac the Mack (truck) headlining the running game and a few effective change-of-pace backs, we could actually have something that approaches the GSOT.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Can you imagine him with a matured combo of TA, Quick, Sted, AP, and Chris Givens? Not to mention a mature TE crew of Cook, Lance Hendricks, Cory Harkey, and Mike McNeil? With Zac the Mack (truck) headlining the running game and a few effective change-of-pace backs, we could actually have something that approaches the GSOT.

They won't keep all six of them. Probably trade one. Watkins is a WR1. Austin is the slot guy. Who is the WR2?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They won't keep all six of them. Probably trade one. Watkins is a WR1. Austin is the slot guy. Who is the WR2?

I believe Givens could be losing his grip on that spot... particularly if someone (Quick) emerges.

WvuIN02

Starter
Watkins is good, but better than anyone since Megatron? Pass me some of that stuff. :bigup: In the end, he is a 6'0" receiver nowhere as dangerous as AJ or Julio because of his size. Hell, Austin is far better than Watkins as far as dangerous goes...just go back and watch the WVU-Clemson Orange Bowl and look at what both did.

In this same draft I'd take Mike Evans over him in a second....that guy is a V.Jax clone and someone who can dominate in the red zone, which is more of what Sam needs imo. Evans has butchered Alabama not once, but twice in two years....which is all I need to see from him.

Watch this video of him vs Bama this year and how good he is versus press. His body control, hands, and physicality would be a great complement to Austin and company.

Last edited by a moderator: