2013 St. Louis Rams Bold Predictions: Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/24/2013-bold-predictions-defense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/24/2013-b ... s-defense/</a>
2013 St. Louis Rams Bold Predictions: Defense
A few days ago we did an article an offensive edition of bold predictions for the Rams 2013 season. Now it’s time to address the defense. The Rams may tied for the league in sacks last year, and showed potential to be a top ten or even top five defense. The Rams did lose the entire back end of their defense, but added Alec Ogletree with the team’s second pick in the first round at number 30. Ogletree will hope to give the Rams one of the better front sevens in the league. With that said here are the Bold Predictions for the 2013 season, defense edition.

The Rams Will Lead The League In Sacks Once Again.
Last season the Rams were tied with the Broncos for the sack title with 52. The Rams should be able to once again do a good job getting to the quarterback as they still have Quinn, Long, and a better Brockers in his second year. The Rams also drafted Alec Ogletree who could have some success getting to the quarterback. Jeff Fisher knows he will have to get to the quarterback early and often because the Rams don’t have the safeties to be able to last a long time in coverage. Nothing helps the secondary like a good pass rush. Even if the Rams don’t lead the league in sacks this season, they could very well at least be in the top five.

The Rams Will Not Have A Five Defense.
A lot of fans believe the Rams could have a top five defense in 2013. There is potential for it without a doubt, but I see five defenses who are better than the Rams defense. Top ten right now is a lot more realistic. The Rams were ranked 14th last year, top ten would be a good jump. Another reason I just don’t see the Rams having a top five defense is because the Rams play three pretty good offenses twice a year in their division. The Rams also have to play the Texans, Falcons, and Saints; all of which have elite offenses. Not to mention the Rams have to play the Panthers, Colts, Bears, and Cowboys; all of which have potentials to have breakout performances. When all is said and done, I see the Rams finishing somewhere in the top ten which would be a good improvement from last season.

Chris Long Will Win Sack Award
This is by far the most ambitious of my bold predictions. After Rams great Deacon Jones passed away, the league has decided to honor Jones by giving the sack leader an award dedicated to Jones who basically invented the sack. Chris Long was tied for ninth last season with 11.5 sacks. JJ Watt had 20.5 sacks. Long will have to obviously have the best year of his career and play out of his mind, but if it’s any player on the Rams that can do it, it’s Chris Long. Long has a motor on him like no other player and if he puts his mind being the league sack leader, he can do it.

The Rams defense could improve by leaps and bounds this season, the only missing piece they really have is safety, they are pretty much set everywhere else. The Rams could very well lead the league in sacks this season, especially if Long fulfills my last bold prediction. The Rams also have potential to be a top five defense and it wouldn’t shock me if they were. Everybody is talking about how exciting the offense is going to be with Tavon Austin, but try looking at the other side of the ball and you might just find it even more exciting.

Which pretty good offenses is he talking about? The best offense in the division (Whiners) was only ranked 11th. Now if he had mentioned N.O. 2nd, Dallas 5th, Atlanta 8th, TB 9th or the Colts 10th it would have been a little more credible.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My bold prediction for our Rams D is they will have a nickname by the end of the year! That means they will do pretty damn good! I do expect some minor growing pains with some of the rookies and 2nd year players getting more of a shot this year. Ogletree will be a beast but he may struggle at times early as teams try to use his speed against him with misdirection getting him to commit the wrong way at times. TJ McDonald will get toasted enough to put doubt in the typical naysayers minds but think he will adapt as the season wears on. Rodney Mcleod will see the field a lot and he may have to deal with a little "deer in the headlights" syndrome while he gets used to the spotlight but he too will settle in with his increased role on the D. All in all, an awesome year is in store for us diehard Rams fans, one in which we will get rewarded on both sides of the ball for our patience and loyalty! :7up:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker rubbing his crystal ball:
My bold prediction for our Rams D is they will have a nickname by the end of the year! That means they will do pretty damn good! I do expect some minor growing pains with some of the rookies and 2nd year players getting more of a shot this year. Ogletree will be a beast but he may struggle at times early as teams try to use his speed against him with misdirection getting him to commit the wrong way at times. TJ McDonald will get toasted enough to put doubt in the typical naysayers minds but think he will adapt as the season wears on. Rodney Mcleod will see the field a lot and he may have to deal with a little "deer in the headlights" syndrome while he gets used to the spotlight but he too will settle in with his increased role on the D. All in all, an awesome year is in store for us diehard Rams fans, one in which we will get rewarded on both sides of the ball for our patience and loyalty! :7up:

Any ideas what the D nickname should be?

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:

The wall to the west?
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:

Deacon's descendants

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
albefree69 said:

Still going with the Arch Nemesis for a nickname. :cheese:

And I'm going to add another prediction: we will have a top ten secondary to go along with our number one defensive line. I think T.J. McDonald is going to surprise a lot of people, and with Stewart, McLeod, Giordano, Daniels, and Davis to go along with him, I think that there's a lot of potential with our safety situation, albeit unproven. And let's not forget Finnegan, Jenkins, and Johnson at cornerback.

Add in our much improved linebacking core, and our defense could be dominant for a long time.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Memento maybe striking gold:

St. Louis Arch - Arch Nemesis? Short & descriptive with local flavor. It's got my vote.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
albefree69 said:

Like I said in an earlier thread about people throwing around the "GSOT2" around concerning our O, any nickname will just happen. Somebody will say it during the season and heads will turn and nod in agreement and it will stick. I kinda like "BLITZRIEG". It kinda goes along with Deacon's use of the word "SACK" and I think it will end up fitting both sides of the ball this year because we are going to ATTACK!

Blitzkrieg (German, "lightning war") is an anglicised term describing a method of warfare whereby an attacking force spearheaded by a dense concentration of armoured and motorized or mechanized infantry formations, and heavily backed up by close air support, forces a breakthrough into the enemy's rear through a series of deep thrusts; and once in the enemy's rear, proceeds to dislocate them by utilizing speed and surprise, and then encircle them. Through the employment of combined arms in maneuver warfare, the blitzkrieg attempts to unbalance the enemy by making it difficult for them to respond effectively to the continuously changing front, and defeat them through a decisive vernichtungsschlacht (battle of annihilation).

I LIKE IT! :hehe:

Psycho_X

Legend
Would be awesome if a Ram would win the first official Deacon Jones sack award.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
Memento maybe striking gold:

St. Louis Arch - Arch Nemesis? Short & descriptive with local flavor. It's got my vote.

I like it too.

For us to be top 10; Long, Quinn, and Brockers need to be healthy enough for 15+ games each.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ramhusker with a great unusable nickname:
Like I said in an earlier thread about people throwing around the "GSOT2" around concerning our O, any nickname will just happen. Somebody will say it during the season and heads will turn and nod in agreement and it will stick. I kinda like "BLITZRIEG". It kinda goes along with Deacon's use of the word "SACK" and I think it will end up fitting both sides of the ball this year because we are going to ATTACK!

It's great that's for sure. Absolutely zero chance of that happening. Blitzkrieg is forever associated with the Nazis, the holocaust and WWII.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
albefree69 said:
Ramhusker with a great unusable nickname:

It's great that's for sure. Absolutely zero chance of that happening. Blitzkrieg is forever associated with the Nazis, the holocaust and WWII.
Yeah. Just think of "Lynch Mob" being used in Seattle. Bad idea.

Arch Nemesis for the D.