2013 Rams free-agency preview - CBS Rapid Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
2013 NFL free-agency previews: St. Louis Rams

By Matt Rybaltowski | CBSSports.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21817926/nfl-freeagency-previews-st-louis-rams

Team overview: In Jeff Fisher's first season in St. Louis, the Rams ended 2012 as one of the most surprising teams in the league. St. Louis finished the season at 7-8-1 and were competitive in all four games against the 49ers and the Seahawks. With menacing edge rushers Robert Quinn and Chris Long, the Rams registered a sack on a league-high 9.51 percent of pass attempts. After serving a one-year suspension, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was hired as a senior assistant with the Titans upon his reinstatement into the league. Williams has been replaced by Tim Walton, a former secondary coach with the Lions.

What the depth chart tells you: An already inexperienced receiving corps will be even further depleted if the Rams are unable to come to terms with slot receiver Danny Amendola in free agency. Of the Rams' top six receivers from 2012, only three are currently under contract for next season. The trio of Brian Quick, Chris Givens and Austin Pettis has a combined four years of service in the league. After nine seasons with the Rams, three-time Pro Bowl running back Steven Jackson is set to enter the open market. If Jackson leaves, as expected, the Rams have a pair of promising young running backs in Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead. Sam Bradford, meanwhile, is entering a crucial season in 2013 after failing to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons.

Rodger Saffold, a third-year left tackle, struggled at times with his lateral movement and couldn't be counted on in pass protection last year. The Rams could also use an upgrade at left guard. Offensive lineman Rob Turner, who started nine games at center and seven at left guard, is a free agent. There is an equally sizable need at strongside linebacker next to dependable veterans James Laurinaitis and Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

In the secondary, St. Louis could look to replace fifth-year safety Craig Dahl. In 2012, Dahl ranked 63rd in pass coverage efficiency among all safeties, according to Pro Football Focus. Dahl, a free agent, also tied for fifth in missed tackles by safeties with 16. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins had a steep learning curve to overcome in his rookie season, but carries tremendous upside with his ability to excel in press coverage. At tight end, the Rams could look to provide competition for Lance Kendricks, who finished with 42 receptions in an up-and-down 2012 season.

Ideal free agency and draft strategy: With four picks in the first three rounds, including two in the first the Rams could move up to select a bookend left tackle in Round 1. Three left tackles -- Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M, Eric Fisher of Central Michigan and Lane Johnson of Oklahoma -- are ranked in the Top 10 of CBSSports.com's latest NFL Draft projections. At No. 22 overall, the Rams could consider a highly-ranked offensive guard such as Jonathan Cooper of North Carolina or a wide receiver such as Keenan Allen of Cal or DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson. In the middle rounds, a linebacker such as Sio Moore of Connecticut, Khaseem Greene of Rutgers or Arthur Brown of Kansas St. could be a solid addition. Moore put up freakish numbers at last month's NFL Scouting Combine.

A replacement for Dahl in free agency could be costly, but the Rams are roughly $11 million under the salary cap. A deep safety class includes: 49ers safety Dashon Goldson, Falcons safety William Moore and Giants safety Kenny Phillips. The Draft isn't top-heavy with safeties, but has tremendous depth beyond the first round.

What will happen: The Rams' weakness at left tackle is so glaring that general manager Les Snead will find a way to select one of the aforementioned franchise tackles at the top of the Draft. St. Louis may not be able to pluck Goldson away from its NFC West rivals, but will add a dependable veteran at safety in free agency. Amendola will return to man the slot and the Rams will provide him with help by adding another receiver in the early rounds. Once the Rams address needs at tackle and wide receiver, they will focus on guard and strongside linebacker in the next several rounds.

I thought the highlight statements were interesting since my own perception was that Saffold, when healthy played fairly well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, pretty brutal assessment of Saffold, right on for C. Dahl. I would consider going up a few spots, especially if we could deal future pick(s) to get one of the Tackles. I think they are all franchise guys. There will be a few guys next year, but we will be even farther away from them. Obviously, you can't give up the farm.

Say we give up the #16 pick, for the #10 and our 3rd this year, or a 2nd next year. I'd do that. We could at that point trade our #22 for a second and a third if we want that pick back if we could find a partner.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Angry Ram said:
lol...national media.

My exact sentiments. Golly gee fuck me...Saffold a liability in pass pro ummm ok. We don't even have a set cohesive unit yet. I'm still a big believer in RS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
These guys look like fucking jokes since they referenced PFF. According to that same site, Saffold was one of the top ten left tackles in pass protection when healthy. And...struggled with lateral movement? What the fuck are these guys smoking? Who the fuck did they watch? It obviously wasn't Saffold.

Fucking national "experts"...