2013 Offseason Needs: OG

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
For those of you who didn't catch my first two offseason videos on Receiver you can catch them here <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12603</a> . Wanted to post my newest video discussing the Rams #2 offseason need: guard. Let me know what you think!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxRLI17Q31U[/youtube]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You did a great job. I agree with most of your commentary. I like Warford too. Cooper is good, but that offense put him in space a lot, which is difficult for most guys. He did 35 reps, which is pretty hardcore. I'd be just fine with Warford, he destroyed the defensive line on the goal line during the Senior Bowl. Sold me on him.

Williams looked horrible in his short stint, but he hadn't had the chance to get coached up by Boudreau, so I guess I can give him a flyer.

I am still high on Rokevious as a prospect, he has great feet for a big guy, he just didn't really get a chance to mentally adjust, but it seems as though he got the coaches not so subtle message and is staying in shape, even with his ankle injury. Don't forget Brandon Washington, another big prospect.

Smith graded our pretty well when I evaluated him, but I agree that his problem is either weight or strength related, as far as getting pushed back a little.

I think that Wells git more push at center than Turner, although Turner did a real admirable job. I would like to keep him for his versatility, and I like his mean streak.

Kyle is an intriguing prospect, and his athleticism pops on tape. I think he could probably play all the position in a pinch, but he does have short arms. I thought he dominated the much bigger Jenkins at the Senior Bowl, and made a couple unbelievable blocks in space.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

MojoRisin

UDFA
DR RAM said:
You did a great job. I agree with most of your commentary. I like Warford too. Cooper is good, but that offense put him in space a lot, which is difficult for most guys. He did 35 reps, which is pretty hardcore. I'd be just fine with Warford, he destroyed the defensive line on the goal line during the Senior Bowl. Sold me on him.

Williams looked horrible in his short stint, but he hadn't had the chance to get coached up by Boudreau, so I guess I can give him a flyer.

I am still high on Rokevious as a prospect, he has great feet for a big guy, he just didn't really get a chance to mentally adjust, but it seems as though he got the coaches not so subtle message and is staying in shape, even with his ankle injury. Don't forget Brandon Washington, another big prospect.

Smith graded our pretty well when I evaluated him, but I agree that his problem is either weight or strength related, as far as getting pushed back a little.

I think that Wells git more push at center than Turner, although Turner did a real admirable job. I would like to keep him for his versatility, and I like his mean streak.

Kyle is an intriguing prospect, and his athleticism pops on tape. I think he could probably play all the position in a pinch, but he does have short arms. I thought he dominated the much bigger Jenkins at the Senior Bowl, and made a couple unbelievable blocks in space.

I like your line analysis DR so I propose this OL question for you.

Keep two, draft one, one free agent, one current guy (non-starter) on the team.

Whats the best starting line you can come up with?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:

Thanks for taking the time to watch.

I love Kyle Long for many reasons: the athleticism (he needed in the Oregon offense), bloodlines, and his work ethic (much like his brother and father). The Long's may not be a freakishly athletic family, like the Jones' (Chandler, Arthur, and Jon "Bones" Jones), but they each have the heart of a lion. They will outwork you.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
MojoRisin said:
DR RAM said:

LT Saffold - Keep
LG Watkins - New starter
C Wells - Keep
RG Warford, or Long - 2nd Round
RT Loadholt - FA

or
LT Lane Johnson - 1st round
LG Watkins
C Wells
RG Brandon Moore - FA
RT Saffold
In this scenario we could flop tackles.

or
Saffold
Watkins
Wells
Moore
Fluker

I guess that's what I'd do with your parameters. There are so many options if we went that way.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
rams24/7 said:
DR RAM said:

Thanks for taking the time to watch.

I love Kyle Long for many reasons: the athleticism (he needed in the Oregon offense), bloodlines, and his work ethic (much like his brother and father). The Long's may not be a freakishly athletic family, like the Jones' (Chandler, Arthur, and Jon "Bones" Jones), but they each have the heart of a lion. They will outwork you.

Kyle kind of is a freak, the best of his clan anyway, but with that competitive side too, watch out!

MojoRisin

UDFA
DR RAM said:
MojoRisin said:
DR RAM said:

LT Saffold - Keep
LG Watkins - New starter
C Wells - Keep
RT Loadholt - FA

or
LG Watkins
C Wells
RG Brandon Moore - FA
RT Saffold

or
Saffold
Watkins
Wells
Moore
Fluker

I guess that's what I'd do with your parameters. There are so many options if we went that way.

I really like option one. Keep established vets (okay minus Rok) on his blindside. Granted it would take that line time to gel.

If we could just get some continuity on the OL, I think this team could be going places.

paceram

Pro Bowler
rams24/7 said:
For those of you who didn't catch my first two offseason videos on Receiver you can catch them here <a class="postlink" href="http://www.ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12603</a> . Wanted to post my newest video discussing the Rams #2 offseason need: guard. Let me know what you think!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxRLI17Q31U[/youtube]

Great Job! I thoroughly enjoyed watching your video! I am still hoping for Warmack with the 16th pick but if he is already gone I am going to keep my fingers crossed that Warford is available to the Rams with their 2nd round pick!

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
DR RAM said:
MojoRisin said:
DR RAM said:

LT Saffold - Keep
LG Watkins - New starter
C Wells - Keep
RT Loadholt - FA

or
LG Watkins
C Wells
RG Brandon Moore - FA
RT Saffold

or
Saffold
Watkins
Wells
Moore
Fluker

Loadholt is one of the projects I'm sure coach Boo would love to coach up. This kid was massive coming out of Oklahoma a few years ago at 6'8" 320ish. He isn't top tier like Volmer or Smith as a RT free agent, but he is up there and would be very affordable. I've been lobbying for him to come to STL if we decide not to draft a tackle

MojoRisin

UDFA
rams24/7 said:
DR RAM said:
MojoRisin said:
DR RAM said:

LT Saffold - Keep
LG Watkins - New starter
C Wells - Keep
RT Loadholt - FA

or
LG Watkins
C Wells
RG Brandon Moore - FA
RT Saffold

or
Saffold
Watkins
Wells
Moore
Fluker

Loadholt is one of the projects I'm sure coach Boo would love to coach up. This kid was massive coming out of Oklahoma a few years ago at 6'8" 320ish. He isn't top tier like Volmer or Smith as a RT free agent, but he is up there and would be very affordable. I've been lobbying for him to come to STL if we decide not to draft a tackle

Great work on the videos. Keep up the good work.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
MojoRisin said:
rams24/7 said:
DR RAM said:
MojoRisin said:
DR RAM said:

LT Saffold - Keep
LG Watkins - New starter
C Wells - Keep
RT Loadholt - FA

or
LG Watkins
C Wells
RG Brandon Moore - FA
RT Saffold

or
Saffold
Watkins
Wells
Moore
Fluker

Great work on the videos. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. It means a lot when people take the time to watch the videos. I love to carry the Rams discussion onto YouTube as well. Should have the other 3 videos out soon

MojoRisin

UDFA
yeah I was looking through your youtube videos.. good stuff. Do not think for a second your videos are not appreciated.

Question for you now.

Saffold.. FA end of 2013. Look for his replacement now or try and resign him. For a guy who has had the misfortune of being bitten by the injury bug, at what price?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
MojoRisin said:
yeah I was looking through your youtube videos.. good stuff. Do not think for a second your videos are not appreciated.

Question for you now.

Saffold.. FA end of 2013. Look for his replacement now or try and resign him. For a guy who has had the misfortune of being bitten by the injury bug, at what price?

I've been thinking about this too. That's why I'm on board for the Lane Johnson pick if he's there. Can be a RT in 2013 and move to LT in 2013

MojoRisin

UDFA
rams24/7 said:
MojoRisin said:

Question for you now.

I've been thinking about this too. That's why I'm on board for the Lane Johnson pick if he's there. Can be a RT in 2013 and move to LT in 2013

I see quite a few folks considering Lane Johnson a project pick. Do you really think we can afford another Jason Smith?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
MojoRisin said:
rams24/7 said:
MojoRisin said:

Question for you now.

I see quite a few folks considering Lane Johnson a project pick. Do you really think we can afford another Jason Smith?

I don't see him as much of a project as some do. He has all the tools, just hasn't played enough. He looked great in the senior bowl and anchors very well

fearsomefour

Legend
Great job on the video, loved it.
I think Warmack will be the best value (if taken outside of #10) in this draft. I can see him being a Larry Allen kind of G. A guy who can take over a running game. If he is there at 16 I think that is a no brainer. I see him going to Tennessee at #10. Either Cooper or Warford is fine with me. I agree with you that I want some bulk at G. I also agree with building the position through the draft. I was really very down on Rok based on showing up out of shape and looking out of balance and over matched pass blocking. But, your video really made me sort of reconsider all of that. He could be physical pressence at that G spot with enough athletic ability to block in space or reach the second level. Usually when a guy can get to the second level (like Turner was able to do at times) he is a lighter guy that can get blown up with the bull rush.
I cant make up my mind about Long. He is certainly athletic enough. He seems raw to me, but, I guess thats why he isent pegged as a top 20 pick. His off the field stuff kind of short circuited his pitching career. A 6' 8" lefty with a 90+ fastball can demand a whole bunch of money. This draft is going to be interesting, thats for sure.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
fearsomefour said:
I think Warmack will be the best value (if taken outside of #10) in this draft. I can see him being a Larry Allen kind of G. A guy who can take over a running game. If he is there at 16 I think that is a no brainer. I see him going to Tennessee at #10. Either Cooper or Warford is fine with me. I agree with you that I want some bulk at G. I also agree with building the position through the draft. I was really very down on Rok based on showing up out of shape and looking out of balance and over matched pass blocking. But, your video really made me sort of reconsider all of that. He could be physical pressence at that G spot with enough athletic ability to block in space or reach the second level. Usually when a guy can get to the second level (like Turner was able to do at times) he is a lighter guy that can get blown up with the bull rush.
I cant make up my mind about Long. He is certainly athletic enough. He seems raw to me, but, I guess thats why he isent pegged as a top 20 pick. His off the field stuff kind of short circuited his pitching career. A 6' 8" lefty with a 90+ fastball can demand a whole bunch of money. This draft is going to be interesting, thats for sure.

Thanks. I'm very eager to see how Fish and Snead go about addressing the o-line this offseason. Fish has dropped hints that they would like to upgrade outside of Watkins and Dahl, by stating that Sam has had trouble stepping up in the pocket. I think we would see the offense and Sam improve much more in 2013 if we landed a stud guard as opposed to a stud RT. Don't get me wrong, I'd love both, but guard is more pressing.

The other reason we'd benefit greatly from a strong and physical guard is in the short yardage situations. I'm not sure if you're pro SJ (I am), but I don't blame him for the short yardage woes of the past 5 years. Look at the weak guards he's been running behind: Jacob Bell, Adam Goldberg, Robert Turner (no offense), etc. It's no wonder half of those 3rd and 1/4th and 1 situations can't be converted. I don't care if Adrian Peterson is in the backfield. I remember back to back 3rd and 1/4th and 1 situations where @ AZ last year where SJ was stuffed and it was not for a lack of effort, it was because he was swarmed by 4-5 players at once!

I feel pretty certain Fish will add a guard with the potential to start in the draft. But RT is more of a toss up; I could see a scenario where we draft one or add an affordable FA (Loadholt is my guy).

Simba

Rookie
rams24/7 said:
fearsomefour said:

Thanks. I'm very eager to see how Fish and Snead go about addressing the o-line this offseason. Fish has dropped hints that they would like to upgrade outside of Watkins and Dahl, by stating that Sam has had trouble stepping up in the pocket. I think we would see the offense and Sam improve much more in 2013 if we landed a stud guard as opposed to a stud RT. Don't get me wrong, I'd love both, but guard is more pressing.

The other reason we'd benefit greatly from a strong and physical guard is in the short yardage situations. I'm not sure if you're pro SJ (I am), but I don't blame him for the short yardage woes of the past 5 years. Look at the weak guards he's been running behind: Jacob Bell, Adam Goldberg, Robert Turner (no offense), etc. It's no wonder half of those 3rd and 1/4th and 1 situations can't be converted. I don't care if Adrian Peterson is in the backfield. I remember back to back 3rd and 1/4th and 1 situations where @ AZ last year where SJ was stuffed and it was not for a lack of effort, it was because he was swarmed by 4-5 players at once!

I feel pretty certain Fish will add a guard with the potential to start in the draft. But RT is more of a toss up; I could see a scenario where we draft one or add an affordable FA (Loadholt is my guy).

I have many doubts about Watkins.Is he really ready?We saw play him just for a few snaps ...

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Simba said:
rams24/7 said:
fearsomefour said:

I have many doubts about Watkins.Is he really ready?We saw play him just for a few snaps ...

I'm not expecting him to start in 2013, but its not too far fetched with his potential. I expect him to compete for LG alongside Shelly Smith and a potential draft pick

Simba

Rookie
I have just finished to see your video.Really good job!From your statement I Think Fisher's going to choose a good run-blocker (his mentality 'is marked on the running-game and defence and I like it).So Warford is in pole position.But according to you, will we draft two OLM in 16th and 22nd pick or not?