2013 NFL Offseason Team Needs: St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Agree with this ranking system in terms of needs? Disagree?

<a class="postlink" href="http://nflmocks.com/2013/02/09/2013-nfl-offseason-team-needs-st-louis-rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nflmocks.com/2013/02/09/2013-nfl ... ouis-rams/</a>

6874388.jpg

Jeff Fisher took over the St. Louis Rams last year, and it appears as though he’s on the right track. I can’t help but wonder if he made the right decision passing on Robert Griffin III for the in-house Heisman winner Sam Bradford, but time will tell there.

The Rams were able to compete and not only that in their division (which featured the Super Bowl Champion), but they were undefeated in division play. The defense was greatly improved, and now it’s time for the offense to follow suit. They have already made a really bold move in the offseason by adding wide receiver Titus Young to the fray, a group that includes now four draft picks from the last two classes of players (Austin Pettis, Chris Givens, Brian Quick).

This is a team with some key free agents, and two first round picks with which to work. Here are their top needs in my opinion, in no particular order.

1. Offensive Line
This is truly the Rams’ number one need. I’m not exactly sure which direction they’ll choose to go with their first round picks, but I’m relatively certain that one of their selections will be used on an offensive lineman, if not both. The Rams could use a right tackle and guard. Surprisingly, the Rams allowed just 35 sacks last year, compared to them sacking opposing quarterbacks 52 times. Right tackle Barry Richardson and left guard Robert Turner are free agents this offseason, so the Rams will undoubtedly be looking for some upgrades. There are some really good players available in free agency, and perhaps to preserve a first round pick, the Rams will look to spend some cash on a big name free agent like Jake Long or Branden Albert.

2. Safety
Quintin Mikell and Craig Dahl were able to come up with one interception between the both of them last year, and despite how well the Rams’ cornerback position was improved in 2012, the safety position left room for improvement. Mikell will likely be back, as he had a pretty good 2012 campaign. Dahl is a free agent and is not a good starter in this league. The Rams will likely upgrade the safety position within the first two rounds.

3. Defensive Tackle
The Rams have used three first round picks in recent drafts on the defensive line, but despite the addition of Michael Brockers last year, their run defense was still middle of the road and the depth up front is suspect. In addition to potentially adding a starter at the defensive tackle position, the Rams could look to add more depth at defensive end, where they have two stud pass rushers in Chris Long and Robert Quinn, but little else.

4. Tight End
Lance Kendricks had a solid year in 2012 in his second year in the NFL, but the Rams need more at the TE position. There is no depth whatsoever behind Kendricks, and I think St. Louis could take advantage of a really solid class of tight ends and add some more talent.

5. Wide Receiver
Despite the young talent on the St. Louis roster, this is still a position of need. I think the Rams need to look to a veteran option in free agency to help them along, a guy who can be a factor on the outside. Perhaps they can convince Dwayne Bowe to come to St. Louis. There are some good young players on this team, but I feel like a veteran option is needed with Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola set to hit the free agent market.

6. Running Back
Daryl Richardson had a good rookie season spelling Steven Jackson, but Jackson has been the Rams’ identity offensively since 2004, pretty much. Jackson is a free agent, and last year’s second round pick Isaiah Pead didn’t do much of anything. I think the Rams probably feel like Richardson can be a capable second tailback, and Pead a change of pace back, but perhaps they’ll be in the market for a quick veteran stop-gap like Shonn Greene. Maybe they could also try to revive Rashard Mendenhall. Either way, Jeff Fisher’s teams need a good running game, so the Rams will likely make this position a priority. They have a slew of solid class of 2012 players with Richardson, Pead, and Terrance Ganaway.

7. Quarterback
Kellen Clemens is a free agent, and I think it’s time the Rams started to push Sam Bradford a little bit. Bradford had a really improved season this past year, but he’s never been challenged as the Rams’ starter in my opinion. I think the Rams should look to use a middle round pick or perhaps as early as a third rounder on a QB depending on who should fall.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They lost me after #3.

Not only is there William Hayes, but there is Eugene Sims. And no there's no need for another DT. And QB being a top need over OLB? Please.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
They lost me after #3.

Not only is there William Hayes, but there is Eugene Sims. And no there's no need for another DT. And QB being a top need over OLB? Please.
I reckon I should have read it more thoroughly.
He said "in no particular order."
M'bad.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Quarterback and not outside linebacker? I'd rank outside linebacker as one of our top three needs over defensive tackle; Laurinaitis and Dunbar are our only starting-caliber linebackers. McIntosh and Haggan aren't under contract, and neither of them performed very well, to be honest. Hull showed why he's just a special teams player, Cole is forgettable at best, and Sammy Brown couldn't even make the roster over Cole. Aside from that, Dunbar is only under contract until next year. I'm willing to bet that we double-dip at linebacker, if only for depth purposes. We have no need for a quarterback, especially not in the third round.

Little else at defensive end behind Long and Quinn? Okay, that's just wrong. Hayes was great this year, and Sims finally put some of the potential he had into his play. I'm not sure how you get much better than that. Maybe Fisher takes a defensive end if a really good one falls to us late, but if we resign Hayes, I think we're good at the position.

Other than that, I agree with his assessments.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It is interesting to hear perspective from PEOPLE WHO CLEARLY DO NOT WATCH THE RAMS! :lmao:

Okay, he's not waaay off. But still. Linebacker is definitely a need and its not on the list. and... Someone to push Bradford? No. A backup, yes.

This was a funny line; "Dahl is a free agent and is not a good starter in this league."

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Jeff Fisher took over the St. Louis Rams last year, and it appears as though he’s on the right track. I can’t help but wonder if he made the right decision passing on Robert Griffin III for the in-house Heisman winner Sam Bradford, but time will tell there.

The Rams were able to compete and not only that in their division (which featured the Super Bowl Champion), but they were undefeated in division play. The defense was greatly improved, and now it’s time for the offense to follow suit. They have already made a really bold move in the offseason by adding wide receiver Titus Young to the fray, a group that includes now four draft picks from the last two classes of players (Austin Pettis, Chris Givens, Brian Quick).

He lost me right here (bolded) in the second paragraph. Must have confused us with someone from the AFC North. :sly:

Hram

UDFA
I think we need a right tackle. I don't believe any of the developmental prospects we picked up during last year have a high ceiling. Luckily in this draft, you can probably get a plug and play starting RT well into the 2nd round and possibly even into the beginning of the 3rd.

If Hayes leaves (and I don't think they can afford Hayes, Amendola and Turner), then Dline becomes a need. Regardless, Dline is also a strength in this class and I wouldn't mind them picking up another DT early. A strong DT rotation makes everyone else on defense better.

Free Safety is a must. That is also another position in this draft where they could pick up good starting material in the 2nd and even into the 3rd.

OLB is a need. Should be able to fill this in the 2nd or 3rd.

Don't think we need early in the draft.

I don't think TE is a need although I also wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a good one to pair with Kendricks.

If SJ departs, RB becomes a need. I hope he doesn't.

I don't think OG is a need. They have a ton of developmental prospects and I have hope for Rok. Plus I think they'll resign Turner as the 6th man for depth.

Sure, take a developmental QB in the 6 or 7th. It's not a need.

Our receiving corps is young. If one falls that they have rated highly, great, take him. Otherwise, take a developmental guy in the 4th or later and coach the young ones already on the team.

and

why was there a reminder message about the posting rules when I opened this to reply. Is that because X unfairly banned me my first day on this board?

fearsomefour

Legend
Positions where I think the Rams need to upgrade starters are LG, RT on offense and OLB and S on D. Its my understanding the Rams wont have the money to address those positions with top end FAs this offseason. I think a S like Byrd will be out of their price range. Someone like Dumas from Detriot may be affordable and would offer an upgrade over Dahl. If the Rams are able to resign Turner the Oline as it is now could have some competition for the LG spot. Those first round picks should go to guys who can fill those starting roles quickly. I think there is a decent chance at 16 a highly rated OLB, one of two top rated S will be on the board and maybe our choice at OG will be there. Assuming Amendola resigns having Amendola, Givens, Quick, Pettis, Young on the roster I just dont see WR being a big priority until the mid rounds. QB? no. I wonder if Cudjo will be back at DT, he should some promise this year. Hayes is a big resign if they can do it. Long, Quinn, Hayes & Sims....could do a lot worse at DE. Need to add another DT in my book.

RamsNation

Rookie
Use a mid or even a 3rd pick on a QB to push Bradford???Lmfao I'm sorry that's just stupid.Bradford doesn't need to be pushed he isn't complacent where he's at he is a competitor and looks to get better every day.He needs help and using say a 3rd rounder like this guy says on a QB is the worst move you can make,that pick should be used on a weapon for Sam or defensive player to help the D out.But focusing on a backup to push him isn't even on the minds of Les/Fish,they believe in Sam and picking a QB in the 3rd would be sending the exact opposite message.And by no means is this post blindly defending Bradford saying he is playing great and can't improve,he can play better but at the same time he needs some better blocking and play makers around him.Its a team game we can't expect Sam to produce like manning/Brady with these weapons comon now lol

…..

Legend
Angry Ram said:
Not only is there William Hayes, but there is Eugene Sims.

yeah those two players are awesome if your goal is to be 7-8-1

Sims must be a good locker room guy, cause I've seen nothing from him on the field that doesnt spell upgrade possibility. Hayes played decent on occasion, but he's also mediocre at times.

When I think of backups...I want guys that can challenge for playing time. These two dont do that. They just give Gatorade breaks.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree about Sims, but, disagree about Hayes. I think he would be starting in a lot of places based on his pass rush. Of course, there is every possibility that if he was playing 70% of snaps he could be less effective. He has the advantage of subing in for DEs that are very active and fast. He gets to be a change of pace guy and doesnt have to worry about getting tired. Langford was disappointing in the passrush department, but, the Rams interior improved vs. the run and he was a part of that, although, he seemed to jump lanes too much sometimes.
Adding a challenge for the 4th DE spot (assuming Hayes comes back) and a DT that adds more depth and a push in the passrush should be a focus in the midrounds.

nittany ram

Rookie
fearsomefour said:
I agree about Sims, but, disagree about Hayes. I think he would be starting in a lot of places based on his pass rush. Of course, there is every possibility that if he was playing 70% of snaps he could be less effective. He has the advantage of subing in for DEs that are very active and fast. He gets to be a change of pace guy and doesnt have to worry about getting tired. Langford was disappointing in the passrush department, but, the Rams interior improved vs. the run and he was a part of that, although, he seemed to jump lanes too much sometimes.
Adding a challenge for the 4th DE spot (assuming Hayes comes back) and a DT that adds more depth and a push in the passrush should be a focus in the midrounds.

I agree with those who think we need another starting-caliber DT. Especially in the NFC West where you face run-heavy offenses that have mobile QBs. The best way to contain the likes of Kaepernick and Wallace is with DT's that can push the pocket while staying in their rush lanes. Then there are no gaps for the QB to exploit.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
fearsomefour said:
I completely agree. I think we need to resign Hayes, he's pretty effective as a 3rd DE and there are plenty of teams that would like to try him as a starter. If the Rams can resign him, that's a big bonus. But, in all honesty there is no possible way in Hades we can resign Hayes and Amedola and it may come down to one over the other.

I do think it's important to get another DT. I think Brockers is going to be a star, but I want another DT who is run stuffing/space eating, so that on obvious running situations we can have two good run stuffing DT in the middle. Also it would allow us to rotate Brockers more, without the loss of run defense.

wolfman84

Rookie
Maybe I'm just an optimist but I believe Jackson will opt out in order to resign a two or three year deal with us. I also believe the only way we wouldn't be able to resign both Amendola and Hayes is if we overpaid for one or both. While I would love to have DA back, his availability due to injuries should keep his price tag down. Although I don't see Titus Young as replacement for Danny, I do see his signing making us less likely to feel desperate to resign him, being able to add a slot receiver in the draft if necessary. So, for me, I'ld like to see starters drafted with the first three or four picks, addressing the offensive line and safety. OLB can be addressed in the forth round. Throw in Tavon Austin in there getting something similar to this:

1a. Lane Johnson, OT, OU
1b. Tavon Austin, WR/KR/RB, WV
2. Jonathan Cyprien, S, FL Int
3. OG: Warford, Long, Quessenberry, or Winters
4. OLB: Sio Moore or other

Let's face it, none us GM wannabes know how they'll address the off season and our own personal wish list will change with every free agency acquisition or loss.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wolfman84 said:
1a. Lane Johnson, OT, OU
1b. Tavon Austin, WR/KR/RB, WV
2. Jonathan Cyprien, S, FL Int
3. OG: Warford, Long, Quessenberry, or Winters
4. OLB: Sio Moore or other

Let's face it, none us GM wannabes know how they'll address the off season and our own personal wish list will change with every free agency acquisition or loss.
True. But I like your list so far. I could sign off on that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Dog said:
Angry Ram said:

Sims must be a good locker room guy, cause I've seen nothing from him on the field that doesnt spell upgrade possibility. Hayes played decent on occasion, but he's also mediocre at times.

When I think of backups...I want guys that can challenge for playing time. These two dont do that. They just give Gatorade breaks.

Thats a little harsh on Hayes.

I guess we'll see what the market bares, but I think people around here are over-valuing him because of those 6 sacks. He's a good player. A rotational plug at DT and DE. Probably earned a raise. But not going to break the bank.

I'd like him back.

(I agree on Sims. He's just a place holder and seems replaceable to me.)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The Dog said:
Angry Ram said:

For depth purposes they are fine. They know the D and are good against the run (something Robert Quinn isn't right now).

When I think of backups, I just think backups. They don't have that extra something to be a starter.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Tortoise said:

He lost me right here (bolded) in the second paragraph. Must have confused us with someone from the AFC North. :sly:

:lol: