2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I gotta say Mem - I don't like this mock.

First of all, I watched Allen play a bit here on the left coast. Notice how many DBs the Pac 12 sends to the NFL this season. Also, he was injured at the end of the season. I'm not convinced the reason he didn't have surgery was to hide the seriousness of the injury.

I like the idea of Long on our team but not in the first round. He looks like more of a project than the OU tackle.

Amerson is intriguing. I like his height if he can honestly bulk up and keep his cover range and speed.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
RamFan503 said:

First of all, I watched Allen play a bit here on the left coast. Notice how many DBs the Pac 12 sends to the NFL this season. Also, he was injured at the end of the season. I'm not convinced the reason he didn't have surgery was to hide the seriousness of the injury.

I like the idea of Long on our team but not in the first round. He looks like more of a project than the OU tackle.

Amerson is intriguing. I like his height if he can honestly bulk up and keep his cover range and speed.

Desmond Trufant (Washington) is supposed to be a late first/early second round pick, and Allen did a great job against him. But you do bring up a great point with the injury concern...hmm...maybe I'd be better off replacing Allen and Wilcox with Vaccaro and Da'Rick Rogers?

I have to disagree on Long, though. I think he'll rise into the first round because of bloodlines, potential, and playing a premium position in a weak draft class (much like Clay Matthews did in 2009). He's already an early second round pick in the eyes of most pundits. Unless he bombs his interview, I can't imagine him not going in the first round. I don't think Lane Johnson will be available, even at the sixteenth pick, so Long's really the next best option when it comes to offensive tackles. After him, there's a pretty big dropoff.

Amerson is probably the highlight of this mock. This is a guy who was considered a potential top ten prospect before the season. He has a unique skillset, and he'd be the perfect guy to cover the Vernon Davises of the world.

Thank you for your insight, 503.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
RamFan503 said:

Desmond Trufant (Washington) is supposed to be a late first/early second round pick, and Allen did a great job against him. But you do bring up a great point with the injury concern...hmm...maybe I'd be better off replacing Allen and Wilcox with Vaccaro and Da'Rick Rogers?

I have to disagree on Long, though. I think he'll rise into the first round because of bloodlines, potential, and playing a premium position in a weak draft class (much like Clay Matthews did in 2009). He's already an early second round pick in the eyes of most pundits. Unless he bombs his interview, I can't imagine him not going in the first round. I don't think Lane Johnson will be available, even at the sixteenth pick, so Long's really the next best option when it comes to offensive tackles. After him, there's a pretty big dropoff.

Amerson is probably the highlight of this mock. This is a guy who was considered a potential top ten prospect before the season. He has a unique skillset, and he'd be the perfect guy to cover the Vernon Davises of the world.

Thank you for your insight, 503.
Trufant is a good player, he will start on an NFL team next year. My problem with Keenan Allen is that he appears to be a bit of a body catcher. He let's a lot of balls get into him. And I am also a little concerned that he hasn't had anybody to throw heat to him. Because the QB play is so poor, he is hard for me to evaluate. I don't think there is enough separation between him, and say a Wheaton, Patton, Hunter, or Williams. I'd rather get one of them in the second or third round. I haven't rated them in order yet.

As far as Kyle Long...I am really starting to develop feelings for him, he impressed the hell out of me, but I don't think he will go that high, bottom of the first round at best. He just doesn't have enough PT, but the talent, size, and athleticism are clearly evident to me. If he even played a full year starting, I think he'd be in consideration for the top part of the draft.

I like your middle picks, you are clearly drafting on upside, but with players that can play.

memento said:
#206 overall - Uona Kaveinga / OLB (BYU). Once a highly recruited linebacker for USC, Kaveinga is currently the inside linebacker for BYU after a transfer. He has the speed to play the outside as a SAM linebacker (he's 6'0", 245 lbs), but his real ability is defending against the run. Kaveinga is a ferocious hitter with great instincts who flies to the football. He's not nearly as talented as his college teammate, Van Noy, but he's still a very good prospect in his own right. Kaveinga would be a great special teams player at the very least. I wouldn't be surprised to see his name pop up on draft day.
Dude sounds like Dunbar.

503 -- Lane Johnson is not a project, he will be the starting LT for an NFL team this year. That is saying a lot. Kyle has starting potential. I just don't know if he has enough experience. He will be a starter though, IMO, and a good one once he plays.

Memento

Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
Trufant is a good player, he will start on an NFL team next year. My problem with Keenan Allen is that he appears to be a bit of a body catcher. He let's a lot of balls get into him. And I am also a little concerned that he hasn't had anybody to throw heat to him. Because the QB play is so poor, he is hard for me to evaluate. I don't think there is enough separation between him, and say a Wheaton, Patton, Hunter, or Williams. I'd rather get one of them in the second or third round. I haven't rated them in order yet.

As far as Kyle Long...I am really starting to develop feelings for him, he impressed the hell out of me, but I don't think he will go that high, bottom of the first round at best. He just doesn't have enough PT, but the talent, size, and athleticism are clearly evident to me. If he even played a full year starting, I think he'd be in consideration for the top part of the draft.

I like your middle picks, you are clearly drafting on upside, but with players that can play.

I agree with your assessment of Allen. In hindsight, I probably should've picked Vaccaro instead and used the third round pick on Da'Rick Rogers (a guy who's been slated anywhere from the mid-second round to the early fourth round) instead of Wilcox. I really am a huge fan of Rogers; I think he's got number one potential written all over him, if he can keep his issues in check.

Kyle Long is a gut feeling of mine. Clay Matthews wasn't even considered a true starter at USC when he was drafted in the first round (Cushing, Maualuga, and Kaluka Maiava were the guys who started; Matthews came in primarily on passing downs), and he got drafted near the twenty-second pick when he destroyed the Combine. Why not Long, who has just as much going for him as Matthews did at that point in his career?

Anyway, I think that Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, and Long are in a separate category when it comes to offensive tackles, and like you said, if he played the entire year, he'd be a potential top twenty pick. As it is, I don't think it's a reach when you compare it to some of the other picks that Fisher's had. Brockers wasn't considered a top fifteen pick by the vast majority when he went fourteenth overall, and Fisher and Snead have said that he would've been an option at the sixth overall pick if they hadn't found a trade partner. Chris Johnson was projected as a third round pick when he was drafted in the twenties. Look at how they've turned out.

Thank you. I've figured that going for players who can play but still have tons of upside remaining is what our front office looks for when they go into the draft. That's what they've shown, and that's what I've tried to do with this mock.

DR RAM said:
Dude sounds like Dunbar.

You know, that's actually a very accurate comparison from what I've seen. Kaveinga plays with a noticeable edge (he brings the same ferocity to practice that he brings in a game; I've seen a YouTube video where he literally crushed his own running back in what was obviously supposed to be a practice with little contact). When I picked him, though, I actually thought of a guy on the Rams who plays a different position: Quinton Pointer. Like Pointer, Kaveinga was a very highly recruited prospect when he was in high school. Like Pointer, Kaveinga didn't live up to the lofty expectations in college, but not because of a lack of talent. Fisher and Snead, from what I can tell, go after guys like that. They target prospects that are talented, have tons of potential, and can play. That's why Pointer was an undrafted free agent when most of us hadn't heard of him...and look what he did in his short time here.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR RAM's Mock Draft Scenario's
2/1/13

16 - Lane Johnson, OT Oklahoma. Flying up the boards because of his tape, athleticism, and play at the Senior Bowl. Probably more upside than any of the OT's in the draft, which is saying a lot, because there is a lot of skill at the top. After watching clips of him play, and his practices at the Senior Bowl, along with his game, Lane Johnson is a truly rare prospect. He makes plays at left tackle that Pro Bowler's can not make. He needs more strength and more experience, but he is a day one starter at left tackle if you need him there, and will be your starter for the next 12 years barring injury.

22 - Kawann Short, DT Purdue.
A 6' 3" 310 lbs player that can dominate. Very quick, very strong front line player that has a variety of moves. Seems to fit the taller type defensive lineman that Jeff Fisher likes. Absolutely dominated a couple highly touted beefy guards at the Senior Bowl. 33.5 TFL in his career, 4 blocked kicks, and 11 pass break up, because of his huge wingspan and awareness.

46 - Eddie Lacy, RB Alabama. Will be groomed to be the workhorse in a multi-back system for the Rams. Good balance, vision, and power. Needs to stay healthy, but a good all-around back to carry a heavy load. Runs tough with attitude. Remind you of anyone??
46 (alternate pick) Manti Teo, SLB Notre Dame. Teo's fake girlfriend and poor play in the National Championship game caused him to slip to us. Don't worry, we'll take some responsibility away from him, find him a REAL girlfriend, and just turn him loose on the strong side.

78 - Jonathan Cyprien, Bacarri Rambo, or Phillip Thomas. Cyprien is a tough kid from a smaller school who showed well against good competition at the Senior Bowl. He is a strong safety, but appears to have the athleticism est. 4.5 40 yd dash, and ball skills 4 int's his senior year, to be able to play both positions. Rambo is a playmaker who is very instinctual, and has excellent ball skills. I really like Thomas from Fresno State who's produced 20 turnovers in his 4 starting years.

110 - Tavarres King or Chris Harper WR's. The more that I see the wide receivers in this class, the more I like the depth and potential. I think one of these two guys will still be available and we could find a diamond here. Harper is a little more physical with slightly more height 6'1" compared to 6' and 230 lbs for Harper compared to 190 lbs. They will both run in the 4.4's.

142 - Nick Kasa, TE Colorado. At 6' 6" 270 lbs, a converted DE, who is still learning the position. A very good athlete, who is very strong. Very strong work ethic who will spend time after practice catching at least 100 balls. High upside, was productive at DE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 - Sheldon Richardson, DT Missouri A physical freak. As a junior, he set career bests in 2012 with 75 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks. Richardson also had three forced fumbles, a blocked kick and a 60-yard fumble return. In a very short time, he would help make the Rams defensive line the very best in the NFL.

22 - Kenny Vaccaro, FS Texas Simply, the best free safety in an extremely strong class of safeties. He is a born leader, that oozes athleticism. Good size, sure tackler. Will be an immediate starter at the safety position.

46 - Markus Wheaton, WR Oregon St. All-time leader in receptions at the school. Very twitchy, very quick, great hands, smooth route runner. Great sideline awareness. Very fast straight line, but also changes directions effortlessly. He will run a low 4.4, reportedly the second fasted player at the Senior Bowl. Not the biggest guy(5' 11" 190 lbs), reminds me of Rev. Bruce. Over 90 catches for over 1200 yards his senior season.

78 - Sio Moore, OLB Connecticut. Sio Moore is a very good football player. You can line him up wherever you want and he will make a play for you. I would line him up at the SAM position and start him from day one. He is very adept at rushing the passer, which would be a bonus in blitzing situations. He shined at the Ea

110 - Chris Faulk, OT LSU. Faulk is a bit of a sleeper after missing the entire season with a knee injury, and the fact that he's only a junior, but his talent and size are undeniable. At 6' 6" 325 pounds, Faulk can be that powerful right tackle that we've been dreaming about, and he has the potential to be a starting left tackle with a little seasoning. Some think that he will fall farther, but his rare size and athleticism will get him picked around this spot.

142 - Michael Williams, TE Alabama. Massive tight end who is an extremely stout blocker. His hands are a little suspect, but he didn't get many opportunities at Alabama to make plays. During the game at the Senior Bowl, Williams made a nice catch in the middle of the field in traffic, using his big body to shield the ball from the secondary, and made a leaping touchdown catch in the end zone beating T.J. McDonald of USC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 - Ezekial Ansah, DE BYU. Think JPP in terms of athleticism, but he's faster. Still learning the game with very little experience, but showed in the Senior Bowl that he's coachable, and that he can dominate, as he had many tackles, numerous pressures, a sack, and a forced fumble.

22 - Alec Ogletree, OLB Georgia. He'd probably go even higher, but he was suspended 4 games last season for failing a drug test. Very fast and instinctual. He racked up 11 tackles, with 11.5 for loss. Plug him in and play him. Would solidify our linebacking corp.

46 - D.J. Fluker, OT Alabama. A perfect right tackle prospect. I don't think he projects very well to the left tackle, and that's why he'd be available here. He's a better run blocker than a pass protector.

78 - Jordan Hill, DT Penn St. Another defensive line prospect that played well at the Senior Bowl. Hill flashed quite a few times and made tackles from his d-line position. He remonds me of our own J. Cudjo.

110 - D. J. Swearinger, FS Connecticut. A versatile(played both safety positions), dependable player, who is a good open field tackler that displays toughness.

142 - Conner Vernon, WR Duke. All-time pass receiver for Duke. Was productive even as a freshman with over 700 yards receiving, and just got better. He has good size at 6' 2", and is projected to run 4.5. He's very crafty in how he sets up the defensive backs. Reminds me a little of Ricky Proehl. Was seen talking to Les Snead at the Senior Bowl during practice.
16 - Kenny Vacarro, FS Texas Simply, the best free safety in an extremely strong class of safeties. He is a born leader, that oozes athleticism. Good size, sure tackler. Will be an immediate starter at the safety position.

22 - Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State. A great big body that can stuff a gap or move in space. A very versatile tackle that can play three or four positions, as he did in college. Snead and Fisher love his size. I like the idea of having an absolutely dominating defensive front. Don't be surprised if the Rams grab a DT this talented if he's available.

46 - Datone Jones, DE/LB UCLA. The 6'4" 280 pound player may be a head scratcher to some here, but I love him. Datone recorded 19 tackles for loss his senior season. He has a non-stop motor, and I think he will prove at the combine that he has the skills to play some stand up backer, with one arm in the ground, or lining up on the inside on passing situations. He would only be picked if we let Hayes walk, but he will be better, and more versatile than Hayes. I expect Jones to run in the 4.7's which is quite a feat for a 280 pounder. Jones was the only player to beat Eric Fisher in the one on one drills at the Senior Bowl, and he did it in a variety of ways. Needs a little polish, but shiny already.

78 - Chris Faulk, OT LSU. Faulk is a bit of a sleeper after missing the entire season with a knee injury, and the fact that he's only a junior, but his talent and size are undeniable. At 6' 6" 325 pounds, Faulk can be that powerful right tackle that we've been dreaming about, and he has the potential to be a starting left tackle with a little seasoning. Some think that he will fall farther, but his rare size and athleticism will get him picked around this spot.
78 (alternate pick) Larry Warford, G Kentucky. Not very tall but extremely stout(340 pounds), Warford played his best against his top competition. He could be the guard that the Rams are looking for, and has the movement skills to excel in any system. On a goal line play at the Senior Bowl, Warford blocked down and decimated two very good defensive lineman to open up a huge hole.

110 -Travis Long, OLB WSU. A very good underrated player that can rush the passer. Runs very well for his size(6' 4" 245 lbs). Long has a great motor and is always around the ball. I see him as a SAM backer on the Rams, and he would be a very good value pick here. The Rams need to get better on the strong side.

142 - Mike Gillislee, RB Florida. Very productive, but for one year only = low mileage. Rushed for over a 1000 yards his senior season. He shows good burst and runs through holes. Looks like a natural at reading where the holes will be and gets the most out plays.

More to come. I'll edit this post. I have more commentary, and one more scenario, after I finish these.

Please feel free to comment. And let me know which one you like the best.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey Doc -

I think your first two are reaches at that point in the draft - which I never like. But then again, I also think we - in most cases - have no clue what the likes of Snead/Fisher are really looking at. Do you really think Rambo, Lacy, and Teo fall that far? Could happen. I just don't see it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
Hey Doc -

I think your first two are reaches at that point in the draft - which I never like. But then again, I also think we - in most cases - have no clue what the likes of Snead/Fisher are really looking at. Do you really think Rambo, Lacy, and Teo fall that far? Could happen. I just don't see it.
Which first two? 503 (I am giving you options), you are going to eat a huge pile of steaming crow someday, and I hope that it's because he's playing for us. Mark my words...Lane Johnson will not be a good, but a great player, and he will start this year, and every year until he retires. Just watch where he gets drafted and how he plays.

As far as Kawann, well, I do have a bit of a man crush, but he's real good. John Jenkins was rated much higher, but the play between the two at the Senior Bowl was not comparable. Richardson, Hankins, and Short is how I have them ranked after Star Lotulelei. I like some other DT's also. I think Short will be a fast riser after the scouts saw his work at the Senior Bowl. Give me a suggestion. I also like Elam, Bernard, and Ogletree at that spot, as well as Ansah, or Richardson(#1) if he slips.

Yes, Lacy can go there, he's had injury problems, and doesn't have the resume to go in the first, IMO. Teo, yes, and I stated the reasons. Rambo...well, I don't know, and nobody does, but I gave two other options. And I can tell you this, he misses some tackles that he should make, doesn't have great recovery speed, gets caught up in the mix sometimes, and he's failed two drug tests. A few years ago, I had us picking Desean Jackson in the 2nd round, and people told me I was crazy...he'd never fall that far. I had Carl Nicks as a high 2nd round pick, but he fell to the 5th. I try to look at where people rate these players, but I look at them as starters, rotational players, depth, developmental, etc.

I hope to get starters in the first three rounds. After that, I hope to either get rotational players, and later, developmental players. Sometimes you have to take a flyer on a higher developmental player with a high upside, or a risky player, see Janoris Jenkins.

Right now, I think my second mock is my favorite, but it will change.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I like the first one best (love Lane Johnson), but I don't think Teo falls that much. Not big on taking a RB there either, unless Jackson leaves. At this point I don't think he will. OLB, S, TE/WR would make me happy granted they aren't reaches. I'd need a change of pants if Johnson was there at 16 and Vaccaro at 22, but I feel both will be gone before our first selection to be honest.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
I like the first one best (love Lane Johnson), but I don't think Teo falls that much. Not big on taking a RB there either, unless Jackson leaves. At this point I don't think he will. OLB, S, TE/WR would make me happy granted they aren't reaches. I'd need a change of pants if Johnson was there at 16 and Vaccaro at 22, but I feel both will be gone before our first selection to be honest.
Teo is a trip. Have no idea where he'll fall, but I know that the Pats would take him and he'd be an all-pro.

Vacarro, although the best athlete/leader, not the most productive. What 1 INT his senior season? That doesn't reek top 10 to me.

I think Johnson will be gone, and he's not our biggest need, but he's special. He'd start on the left over Saffold once he became acclimated.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
you are going to eat a huge pile of steaming crow someday

I loves me some piles of steaming crow when it means my Rams got better. :bign:

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
Teo is a trip. Have no idea where he'll fall, but I know that the Pats would take him and he'd be an all-pro.

Vacarro, although the best athlete/leader, not the most productive. What 1 INT his senior season? That doesn't reek top 10 to me.

I think Johnson will be gone, and he's not our biggest need, but he's special. He'd start on the left over Saffold once he became acclimated.

I don't really care who starts where, as long as we have two good OT's to protect Sam. I'm hoping that some other teams will trade up for players and he'll slip.

Memento

Name
Jemma
GreeneCounty said:
Richardson can be a headcase. I rather Rams get a safety.

Speaking as a Mizzou fan, Richardson is an apathetic head-case and a one-year wonder. This year was the only year where he tried hard (he was horrible in his sophomore year; every time people ran at him, he was swallowed up by the offensive lineman, and every time they ran away from him, he quit on the play. This was the only year he didn't do that.) He got suspended for skipping classes, he talked trash before the Georgia game and didn't back it up, and he clashed with coaching staff to the point where Pinkel, who is normally a patient and tolerant head coach, wanted nothing to do with him.

Normally, I'd be all for getting a hometown kid, but a team would be ignoring so many warning signs by taking Richardson in the first round, especially since there's a very good chance that he'll quit once he makes his money. You can't teach work ethic to a lazy player.

Rampage505

UDFA
Great thread

This my first day on site, I like the forum and the way it is set not to mention the way everyone shows respect to each persons input, with that said; I like your Mock to a point. You hit all of the needs but I am one that believes that a developmental OT is not what we need at this point, we need a plug and play draft pick in both of the first round picks. We can reach in the 4th - 7th round, but our first 3 rounds need to be explosive play makers. I am torn by the need at O line and Safety. I am leaning to the O line with both 1st round picks or even trading up to get the O lineman we need. I also feel that OG is a bigger need than OT, remember, Harvey Dahl moved to RT and played very well for the remainder of the 2011 season after we lost our RT to injury, that might be a change worth looking at

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rampage505 said:
Great thread

This my first day on site, I like the forum and the way it is set not to mention the way everyone shows respect to each persons input, with that said; I like your Mock to a point. You hit all of the needs but I am one that believes that a developmental OT is not what we need at this point, we need a plug and play draft pick in both of the first round picks. We can reach in the 4th - 7th round, but our first 3 rounds need to be explosive play makers. I am torn by the need at O line and Safety. I am leaning to the O line with both 1st round picks or even trading up to get the O lineman we need. I also feel that OG is a bigger need than OT, remember, Harvey Dahl moved to RT and played very well for the remainder of the 2011 season after we lost our RT to injury, that might be a change worth looking at
Welcome 505. Glad to have you on board. :ww:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Starting to really really like the thought of Warmack and Johnson in the 1st. Neither one may even make it to us though haha

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
Rampage505 said:
Great thread

Welcome 505. Glad to have you on board. :ww:

Co sign.

Have some fun. Go crazy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Speeps

Starter
I know safety is one of our biggest needs this offseason. However, I would love to see Matt Daniels get a chance. He's a physical safety that is a very good tackler.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Speeps said:
I know safety is one of our biggest needs this offseason. However, I would love to see Matt Daniels get a chance. He's a physical safety that is a very good tackler.

[tweet]298152885747855360[/tweet]

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
Speeps said:

[tweet]298152885747855360[/tweet]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslY_AvhLw[/youtube]