2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Re: 2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread (safeties/comb

Reid, Elam, Earl Wolff, and Shamarko Thomas had a good combine. Vaccaro, McDonald, and Lester not so much. Rambo didn't really work out. Thomas, Jefferson, and Motta ran slow. Swearinger didn't look bad, but kind of looked like a bonehead.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/5-To-Know-Broaddus-Evaluates-Handful-Of-Top-Safety-Prospects-/63be3d9a-f078-4c8a-9c4c-01796e80d0f8

Matt Elam, 5-10, 202, Florida
See him more as a strong safety type than that of a free...doesn’t cover ground like Vaccaro of Texas or Cyprien of Florida International…just not a quick footed player…can be a step slow arriving in coverage…doesn’t have that ability to pedal, turn and burst…plays much more in zone coverage than he does in man…can get a good jam when he gets his hands on the receiver…thought he showed good awareness finding the ball against Louisville…like Cyprien in that you will see him go for the big hit and not wrap up as a tackler and that will get him in trouble at times…missed a tackle in the hole that should have been a two yard gain but instead it went for more yards and a first down…had a shot at a sack against Texas A&M blitzing out of the slot and over ran Johnny Maziel …one of his best traits is his ability to create turnovers….is one of those players that is always ripping at the ball…like the fact that he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Doesn't cover ground like Vaccaro, not a quick footed player??? luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul

Texas bias bullshit. He covers better than Vaccaro. You know, the guy he beat in the 40 at the combine.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
X said:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/5-To-Know-Broaddus-Evaluates-Handful-Of-Top-Safety-Prospects-/63be3d9a-f078-4c8a-9c4c-01796e80d0f8

See him more as a strong safety type than that of a free...doesn’t cover ground like Vaccaro of Texas or Cyprien of Florida International…just not a quick footed player…can be a step slow arriving in coverage…doesn’t have that ability to pedal, turn and burst…plays much more in zone coverage than he does in man…can get a good jam when he gets his hands on the receiver…thought he showed good awareness finding the ball against Louisville…like Cyprien in that you will see him go for the big hit and not wrap up as a tackler and that will get him in trouble at times…missed a tackle in the hole that should have been a two yard gain but instead it went for more yards and a first down…had a shot at a sack against Texas A&M blitzing out of the slot and over ran Johnny Maziel …one of his best traits is his ability to create turnovers….is one of those players that is always ripping at the ball…like the fact that he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Doesn't cover ground like Vaccaro, not a quick footed player??? luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul

Texas bias bullshit. He covers better than Vaccaro. You know, the guy he beat in the 40 at the combine.
Yeah, that is the exact opposite of what I saw at the combine. Elam looked quicker, had more balance out of his cuts, and was definitively faster.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
Username said:
X said:

Yeah, that is the exact opposite of what I saw at the combine. Elam looked quicker, had more balance out of his cuts, and was definitively faster.

That's what I saw watching games too. I love Vaccaros measurables, and he may develop into a beast, but I think Elam is the better player. If the Rams want to take him (Vaccaro) at 16 or 22 I have no problem with it though especially after hiring Walton. I just don't think Vaccaro is this can't miss top ten prospect that everyone is talking about. I would love for them to pick up Elam somewhere, but his size kinda worries me. Our secondary is already a bit on the short side. He's a player though, and he's plenty strong enough. Needs to learn to wrap up better, but he'd be a hell of a replacement for QM. Imo he covers better than Vaccaro right now too.

SAMTHERAM

Great Draft "MOMENTO", thanks.

My 2 cents worth: I think the Rams (who privately worked out this guy) are very serious about the kid from Duke, Connor Vernon

6' 1/8" 200 lbs.
***ACC all time leader in pass receptions and receiving yards.
***48 games, 283 completions, 3,749 yards, 21 TD's
** 4.5 speed
**Senior Bowl invite
**Combine invite

A sleeper ( who has a very high IQ and runs routes extremely well) and is willing to run accross the field and endure punishing hits.

I think the Rams pick him in the 4th or 5th round.

My SLEEPER PREDICTION

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
SAMTHERAM said:

My 2 cents worth: I think the Rams (who privately worked out this guy) are very serious about the kid from Duke, Connor Vernon

6' 1/8" 200 lbs.
** 4.5 speed
**Senior Bowl invite
**Combine invite

A sleeper ( who has a very high IQ and runs routes extremely well) and is willing to run accross the field and endure punishing hits.

My SLEEPER PREDICTION

Thank you...although it seems like both of my drafts are way out of date. :lol: I'll have to create a new one sooner rather than later (I want to wait until we resign, sign, or let go of certain free agents before I create version 3.0.)

Connor Vernon has great hands, great production, and good straight-line speed. I don't know if he has the quick-twitch reflexes that I'd want in a slot receiver, though. If I'm drafting a slot receiver to replace Amendola, I want him to be sneaky fast, have reliable hands, be tough and willing enough to go over the middle, be extremely quick in and out of breaks, and have good return potential. I think Vernon has the first three attributes, but not the last two.

I like Vernon as a sleeper pick as well, and the Rams are supposed to like him, but I don't think he's a fourth round pick. More like a mid fifth to early sixth, in my opinion.

SAMTHERAM

Memento said:
SAMTHERAM said:

6' 1/8" 200 lbs.
** 4.5 speed
**Senior Bowl invite
**Combine invite

My SLEEPER PREDICTION

Thank you...although it seems like both of my drafts are way out of date. :lol: I'll have to create a new one sooner rather than later (I want to wait until we resign, sign, or let go of certain free agents before I create version 3.0.)

Connor Vernon has great hands, great production, and good straight-line speed. I don't know if he has the quick-twitch reflexes that I'd want in a slot receiver, though. If I'm drafting a slot receiver to replace Amendola, I want him to be sneaky fast, have reliable hands, be tough and willing enough to go over the middle, be extremely quick in and out of breaks, and have good return potential. I think Vernon has the first three attributes, but not the last two.

I like Vernon as a sleeper pick as well, and the Rams are supposed to like him, but I don't think he's a fourth round pick. More like a mid fifth to early sixth, in my opinion.

I think the Experts rate him a 5th rounder so your right unless Snead and Fisher think different. I think the high IQ aspect (just my opinion) trumps those attributes you list.

Sick of overly athletic freaks with no brains.

Can't wait for this draft though, go RAMS ! Snead and Fisher are sure to surprise.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
SAMTHERAM said:
Memento said:
SAMTHERAM said:

6' 1/8" 200 lbs.
** 4.5 speed
**Senior Bowl invite
**Combine invite

My SLEEPER PREDICTION

I think the Experts rate him a 5th rounder so your right unless Snead and Fisher think different. I think the high IQ aspect (just my opinion) trumps those attributes you list.

Sick of overly athletic freaks with no brains.

Can't wait for this draft though, go RAMS ! Snead and Fisher are sure to surprise.

I'm wrong if any team thinks differently, though. Can't say that I know more than the guys who get paid for this.

I agree. Vernon does have great football IQ, and that plays a huge role in how a player develops. You look at the best players in any sport, and they have sports-IQ through the roof. I don't think Fisher and Snead are going to look at players who don't have football instincts, but if we know one thing about them, it's that they always have surprises waiting for us in the draft, free agency, and the UDFA market.

I can't wait either. It's fun to speculate what might happen.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Looking at the film that I can find on Watson and Long I think they will have to sit and watch for a year to be effective.
Just to raw to play a lot of snaps right from the get go. Coach Boo or not.

But then again Jason Smith wasn't much farther along when he came in to the league.

Just predicting. But looks like the top O linemen that will be there is Fluker and Cooper.
Either one will be a big upgrade.
And I'm not sure as cheap as these guys will be for next few years that taking a RT only like Fluker is a bad move. Starts game 1 and every game for the next 4 years sealing off that side.

Cooper needs to solidify his base a little but right now is better than any Ram guard in years.

Still think were going D.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Chris Harper another option to run the wildcat package? I know some have been on the idea of drafting Robinson and having him run the wildcat package that Brad Smith ran for Schotty and the Jets. I think Harper could be another great option as well. Thoughts?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
Chris Harper another option to run the wildcat package? I know some have been on the idea of drafting Robinson and having him run the wildcat package that Brad Smith ran for Schotty and the Jets. I think Harper could be another great option as well. Thoughts?
I think if Schotty tried to run the wildcat, that Fisher would punch him in the dick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Username said:
I think if Schotty tried to run the wildcat, that Fisher would punch him in the dick.
My thought exactly!

A55VA6

Legend
I for some reason have a feeling about Cordarrelle Patterson. I feel like he's going to be a star, whoever gets him..

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[tweet]311550247941857283[/tweet]

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
There is a whole lot of draft boards and mocks being re-stacked after just one day of FA. After today someone real good is going to fall to the Rams at 16.

But here's the ?
If L. Johnson is there at 16, if Long is signed do you take him?
I say yes.
Top ten Tackles are hard to get. And really hard to come by for teams that will be drafting towards the end of the first for the next few years.
Move Saffold to G for a year.
Leaving talent ton the board is worse than reaching. That's what gets you 15-65.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yamahopper said:
There is a whole lot of draft boards and mocks being re-stacked after just one day of FA. After today someone real good is going to fall to the Rams at 16.

But here's the ?
I say yes.
Top ten Tackles are hard to get. And really hard to come by for teams that will be drafting towards the end of the first for the next few years.
Leaving talent ton the board is worse than reaching. That's what gets you 15-65.

My feeling is if you sign Long, then Johnson is there at 16, there may all of a sudden be suitors for that pick. The Rams would then be in a beautiful position. They could take Johnson and fortify the OL for years to come or trade down and get multiple picks and fill multiple holes now. I'm getting excited about how the Rams could be situated draft day. I think the key now is to get that veteran presence through FA at the Safety position so that only one Safety needs to be drafted. I haven't been paying attention but what is the best thing to do, get a FS FA and draft a SS or the other way around?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:
Yamahopper said:

But here's the ?
I say yes.

My feeling is if you sign Long, then Johnson is there at 16, there may all of a sudden be suitors for that pick. The Rams would then be in a beautiful position. They could take Johnson and fortify the OL for years to come or trade down and get multiple picks and fill multiple holes now. I'm getting excited about how the Rams could be situated draft day. I think the key now is to get that veteran presence through FA at the Safety position so that only one Safety needs to be drafted. I haven't been paying attention but what is the best thing to do, get a FS FA and draft a SS or the other way around?

I'd take Austin at 16, then maybe Elam at 22, or whoever is the BPA there. I wouldn't even be upset at Kyle Long, simply for depth. It's a reach, but he's projected to go in the first 10 of the second round, so it's not a major reach. I like the bloodline though, it will depend on who is there. At this point though I'm starting to think there's a better shot Vaccaro falls to 22 than Austin does, and I really want Austin.

Hey guys,

new to the forum. Just wanted to ask a couple of things.

First, is anyone besides me down on the idea of drafting Patterson in the first round? I'm all for a receiver but idk...Much rather have Allen.

I also really like Vaccaro and wouldn't mind seeing the 16th pick used on him, especially if the top guys like Warmack and them are gone. Thoughts?