2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
bluecoconuts said:
If we took Austin and Fluker would it matter which was picked where?

lol I guess not? It would be easier for me to fathom and control my rage if we picked him @ 22 though. :lol:
I think they would both be slight reaches, but good players, and the drop after Fluker is huge.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
Username said:
bluecoconuts said:
If we took Austin and Fluker would it matter which was picked where?

lol I guess not? It would be easier for me to fathom and control my rage if we picked him @ 22 though. :lol:
I think they would both be slight reaches, but good players, and the drop after Fluker is huge.

Imo there's only 3 OT worthy of 1st round picks. Lewan and Matthews returning really hurt the class.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
Lineman that I like.

D.J. Fluker, Alabama 6-5 339 21 reps, 36.68 arms.

Lane Johnson, Oklahoma 6-6 303 28 reps 35.28 arms.

Kyle Long, Oregon 6-6 313 33.38 arms, did not bench.

Eric Fisher, Central Michigan 6-7 306 27 reps 34.48 arms.

Luke Joeckel Texas A&M 6-6 306 27 reps 34.28 arms.

Chris Faulk, LSU 6-5 331 25 reps 34.28 arms.

Chance Warmack, Alabama 6-2 317 DNP 34.68 arms.

Larry Warford, Kentucky 6-3 332 28 reps 33.38 arms

Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina 6-2 311 35 reps 33.08 arms

If we got Johnson and Warford in rounds one and two, I'd be pretty stoked. I've been hyping up Warford since last year, so I'd be very happy if the Rams took him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
DR RAM said:
Lineman that I like.

D.J. Fluker, Alabama 6-5 339 21 reps, 36.68 arms.

Lane Johnson, Oklahoma 6-6 303 28 reps 35.28 arms.

Kyle Long, Oregon 6-6 313 33.38 arms, did not bench.

Eric Fisher, Central Michigan 6-7 306 27 reps 34.48 arms.

Luke Joeckel Texas A&M 6-6 306 27 reps 34.28 arms.

Chris Faulk, LSU 6-5 331 25 reps 34.28 arms.

Chance Warmack, Alabama 6-2 317 DNP 34.68 arms.

Larry Warford, Kentucky 6-3 332 28 reps 33.38 arms

Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina 6-2 311 35 reps 33.08 arms

If we got Johnson and Warford in rounds one and two, I'd be pretty stoked. I've been hyping up Warford since last year, so I'd be very happy if the Rams took him.

Johnson had the type of day that I thought he would. I thought both Johnson and Fisher looked better than Joekel.

Warford represented himself well. He looked better than Warmack in space. Warmack didn't look very good in the drills, except the cross blocking drill. Kyle looked great out there in every drill. I expected that too, after seeing him play. Cooper looked great. Fluker looked pretty bad, but he worked really hard, and he and Warmack show better on tape, when they can get their hands on people.

If we pulled both those guys, our line would be set for many years.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Still not a lot of chatter over Da'rick Rogers out there. :hehe:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslY_AvhLw[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
d1973c1502924e93b404c4a.png

[nfl]0ap2000000144492[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000144492/Tavon-Austin-a-draft-gem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap20000 ... -draft-gem</a>

West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin has all the tools to succeed at the next level.

He's fast and elusive. His 14 reps on the bench show he's got some power built into that 5-foot-9, 174-pound frame, too. We'll get a better idea of Austin's explosiveness Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine, but NFL Network's Marshall Faulk doesn't need to see anything else to be convinced.

"Listen to me, I am pounding the desk," Faulk said on Saturday's "NFL Total Access." "This guy here is a playmaker. He's Percy Harvin and Wes Welker wrapped into one."

That's some heady praise from a Hall of Famer. We've heard the (logical) comparison to Harvin before. As for Welker, Austin has studied plenty of tape of the New England Patriots' star. Faulk believes Austin's a faster, quicker version of Welker, who he calls his "No. 1 guy."

It's safe to say Austin agrees with Faulk as well. He was asked earlier this week if he feels he's the best multidimensional prospect on the board.

"I think so," Austin quickly replied, via The Baltimore Sun. "I think I'm the all-around best player in the draft. A lot of teams are looking for that type of player to do multiple things on the field, and I think I'm that guy."

Meanwhile, the Patriots might have the opportunity to effectively replace Welker with Austin come April. Sean Maguire would call this ironical.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Auburn RB Onterio McCalebb ran forty times of 4.21 and 4.27 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

The 4.21 is not yet "official" -- and official times tend to be universally slower than the "unofficial" times -- but McCalebb is now threatening Chris Johnson's Combine record of 4.24. Texas WR Marquise Goodwin came close earlier in the day with a 4.27 "official" time. We should know McCalebb's "official" forty time within the hour.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/256360/auburn-rb-mccalebb-runs-421-unofficial-40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... fficial-40</a>

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
X said:
Auburn RB Onterio McCalebb ran forty times of 4.21 and 4.27 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

The 4.21 is not yet "official" -- and official times tend to be universally slower than the "unofficial" times -- but McCalebb is now threatening Chris Johnson's Combine record of 4.24. Texas WR Marquise Goodwin came close earlier in the day with a 4.27 "official" time. We should know McCalebb's "official" forty time within the hour.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/256360/auburn-rb-mccalebb-runs-421-unofficial-40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... fficial-40</a>

To bad he weighs less than some cheerleaders. Late round, UDFA, yeah I'd take a look. Can't coach speed.
Flip side, if a team was set enough he would be a great pick to be used in a few plays a game to break him free.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yamahopper said:
X said:

To bad he weighs less than some cheerleaders. Late round, UDFA, yeah I'd take a look. Can't coach speed.
Flip side, if a team was set enough he would be a great pick to be used in a few plays a game to break him free.
Meh. Not interested at all. Daryl Richardson brings all that and then some.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
So far.

Johnson >> than Fluker. Proper way would be Johnson LT from day one. Saffold to RT or G. Fills 2 needs with 1 pick. Saffold contract coming up soon. Do you want to pay him top $$$$$ for avg. at best play at LT when he's on the field? If your going T in the 1st he better be able to play LT. Not sure Fluker can at this point. Fluker would be a better RT tho. I think Johnson will be gone at 16.
But don't devalue the RT position, as many 3-4's the Rams play against. That side can kill Bradford just as dead as someone from his blind side.

Ertz,Eifert> Than any other WR not named Patterson. (See Austin note below). Want to see them run but they are more complete players. Does it really matter how we get the ball down field, just that we do. Both these blokes would be a load for LB's, would keep the safeties inside paired with Kendricks to open up the outside.
Love Patterson, don't think he will be there at 16. But he needs coaching up. Not sure he's ready to roll out of the box. Size, speed and separation.

Austin is the best playmaker in this draft. Lots of these experts question if at his size can he be a everydown player.
Who cares, if he's used half the snaps he'll put more points on the board than anyone else playing all of them. Great decoy too. Teams will be watching him so close that it will open up rest of the passing game. Gives the Rams two fast WR's (Givens) that they need and saves drafting another burner later on.

If I wanted points I'd draft Eritz and Austin. Fix OL later rounds and in FA.

If I wanted to Bubble wrap Bradford Johnson, Fluker then best guard..

Looking at what teams ahead of teh Rams need and whats there when they pick something good is going to fall to 16.
So I'm saying were getting really surprised this year. And Fisher loves his RB's.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
So far.

Johnson >> than Fluker. Proper way would be Johnson LT from day one. Saffold to RT or G. Fills 2 needs with 1 pick. Saffold contract coming up soon. Do you want to pay him top $$$$$ for avg. at best play at LT when he's on the field? If your going T in the 1st he better be able to play LT. Not sure Fluker can at this point. Fluker would be a better RT tho. I think Johnson will be gone at 16.
But don't devalue the RT position, as many 3-4's the Rams play against. That side can kill Bradford just as dead as someone from his blind side.

Ertz,Eifert> Than any other WR not named Patterson. (See Austin note below). Want to see them run but they are more complete players. Does it really matter how we get the ball down field, just that we do. Both these blokes would be a load for LB's, would keep the safeties inside paired with Kendricks to open up the outside.
Love Patterson, don't think he will be there at 16. But he needs coaching up. Not sure he's ready to roll out of the box. Size, speed and separation.

Austin is the best playmaker in this draft. Lots of these experts question if at his size can he be a everydown player.
Who cares, if he's used half the snaps he'll put more points on the board than anyone else playing all of them. Great decoy too. Teams will be watching him so close that it will open up rest of the passing game. Gives the Rams two fast WR's (Givens) that they need and saves drafting another burner later on.

Looking at what teams ahead of teh Rams need and whats there when they pick something good is going to fall to 16.
So I'm saying were getting really surprised this year. And Fisher loves his RB's.
Where you been?

After watching Fluker in movement skills, no way he can LT, IMO. It forced me to watch more tape, and he can play RT, but he's a 2nd rounder at best. Johnson is the shit, and I've been pounding the table for him since the Senior Bowl.

Ertz and Eifert seemed to solidify their positions and would be a great asset to our team. Couple others that I like later.

Patterson and Austin are the two best playmakers in the draft and I'd love to get one of them.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
So far.

Where you been?

After watching Fluker in movement skills, no way he can LT, IMO. It forced me to watch more tape, and he can play RT, but he's a 2nd rounder at best. Johnson is the shyte, and I've been pounding the table for him since the Senior Bowl.

Ertz and Eifert seemed to solidify their positions and would be a great asset to our team. Couple others that I like later.

Patterson and Austin are the two best playmakers in the draft and I'd love to get one of them.

Been working lots of hours. Still been following along.

Agree on Fluker. But depends how high they think he will be rated at RT. To me the only way they take Fluker at 22 is if they have solidified the guard spot before the draft and he would be the missing piece.

But taking Fluker anywhere in the first 40 picks will be leaving better players on the board. That got us 15-65 in the past.

Draft strategy could be based on what they think of Saffold. If he's not long term LT then if Johnson is there it's a no brainer at 16.
Fluker might be the best pure RT in the draft, but what you can get in the 2nd or third will still be better than Richardson and Smith the last few years.
It's a reach.

This team still needs plug and play players in the first 3 rounds. So I'm all about playmakers but till this OL gets fixed this won't be much better than a avg. team IMO.

If I took Patterson at 16 and Austin was there at 22 I'd take him too. Gonna fix the WR postion for they next 10 years.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
So far.

Where you been?

After watching Fluker in movement skills, no way he can LT, IMO. It forced me to watch more tape, and he can play RT, but he's a 2nd rounder at best. Johnson is the shyte, and I've been pounding the table for him since the Senior Bowl.

Been working lots of hours. Still been following along.

Agree on Fluker. But depends how high they think he will be rated at RT. To me the only way they take Fluker at 22 is if they have solidified the guard spot before the draft and he would be the missing piece.

But taking Fluker anywhere in the first 40 picks will be leaving better players on the board. That got us 15-65 in the past.

Draft strategy could be based on what they think of Saffold. If he's not long term LT then if Johnson is there it's a no brainer at 16.
Fluker might be the best pure RT in the draft, but what you can get in the 2nd or third will still be better than Richardson and Smith the last few years.
It's a reach.

This team still needs plug and play players in the first 3 rounds. So I'm all about playmakers but till this OL gets fixed this won't be much better than a avg. team IMO.

If I took Patterson at 16 and Austin was there at 22 I'd take him too. Gonna fix the WR postion for they next 10 years.
I agree with everything, including the reach that is Fluker who is a RT only, or possibly a guard.

You are probably right about Saffold. When Saffold was healthy with this coaching staff, I thought he was a better than average LT. I don't think he has Pro Bowl ability. I do think that he could probably play guard or RT at a high level if we switched it up with a Lane Johnson. We do need to solidify this line, but I thought we went a long way toward that last year.

If it was me, I'd pick Lane Johnson, play him on the right until he gets assimilated to the speed of the game, and then swap the two players. Why? Because I think Lane Johnson has the skill set to be an All-Pro.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think WR Robert Woods had a great day. His hands were among the most quiet when catching the ball, and he looked ultra smooth. He's been a bit overshadowed by Marquise Lee, but he can play.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
I think WR Robert Woods had a great day. His hands were among the most quiet when catching the ball, and he looked ultra smooth. He's been a bit overshadowed by Marquise Lee, but he can play.

I agree on Woods. He's at top of the group behind Patterson. Austin I don't include, his skills set are apart from the others.
Avg. over the last few drafts I would have Woods very late 1st or early 2nd. He's just a half a step slow.

If a trade down happens and Rams go farther down in the 1st or early 2nd he would be a good pick if the 2 TE's are gone and so is Austin.
I like him better than Allen by just a little bit.

I think looking at other teams, there might be a top 15 D player there at 22. And on value that might have to be the pick.
FA will decide the choice of a safety.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
He reminds me of a faster version of Gibson. I don't think he will ever be a #1 WR but he could be a good #2 and a very good slot guy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
As far as physical talent goes, that looked like a real strong DB class.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSY1bHhuViY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpjCaXaPm1A[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/5-To-Know-Broaddus-Evaluates-Handful-Of-Top-Safety-Prospects-/63be3d9a-f078-4c8a-9c4c-01796e80d0f8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/artic ... 796e80d0f8</a>

Kenny Vaccaro, 6-1, 218, Texas
There are plenty of times where you study Vaccaro and he isn’t lined up as a safety in certain schemes…will line up at linebacker or in the slot covering a receiver when they go to a three receiver package…the most impressive trait he has is his ability to cover out of the slot….plays with a nice feel in coverage…has some corner skills to his game…reacts quickly and smoothly…good position in routes…plays with quick feet…didn’t see any separation to his game when he was put in that position….is a physical player…used as a blitzer out of the slot and off the edge in the goal line defense…will take on at the point of attack…is more than willing to fill on the run…wrap up tackler…did see a miss in the hole against Oklahoma that resulted in a long touchdown run…not a one trick pony when it comes to his play…you see him in the middle of the action.

Jonathan Cyprien, 6-0, 209, Florida International
Like Vaccaro of Texas in that he will play all over the defense deep or in the box….what I really like about him is his ability to cover ground…when the ball goes in the air, you see him on his horse to get there….had a pretty interception against Louisville playing out of center field…can pedal, turn and run…can really drive on the ball when it is in front of him…has the size to carry tight ends up the field and will fight them for the ball…did get beat out of the slot by a receiver on a back shoulder throw…not afraid to come up and take on linemen that pull…is a blow’em up type of tackler…will bring some violence and not afraid to take a shot at receivers when they cross the middle…if he has a weakness it is that he doesn’t always wrap up…had this happen to him a couple of times against Duke which one of these misses resulted in a touchdown but did make an open field tackle against Arkansas State that did save a touchdown…you don’t have to worry about him standing around piles.

Matt Elam, 5-10, 202, Florida
See him more as a strong safety type than that of a free...doesn’t cover ground like Vaccaro of Texas or Cyprien of Florida International…just not a quick footed player…can be a step slow arriving in coverage…doesn’t have that ability to pedal, turn and burst…plays much more in zone coverage than he does in man…can get a good jam when he gets his hands on the receiver…thought he showed good awareness finding the ball against Louisville…like Cyprien in that you will see him go for the big hit and not wrap up as a tackler and that will get him in trouble at times…missed a tackle in the hole that should have been a two yard gain but instead it went for more yards and a first down…had a shot at a sack against Texas A&M blitzing out of the slot and over ran Johnny Maziel …one of his best traits is his ability to create turnovers….is one of those players that is always ripping at the ball…like the fact that he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

D. J. Swearinger, 5-11, 210, South Carolina
Feisty player that is always trying to mix things up….can cover in the slot….quick footed player….nice reaction to slant on the goal line against Georgia…handled the bunch

formations well…picked up his man right off the snap…showed good awareness…quick transition from center field…also showed the ability to play from one hash to come all the way across the field and get in on coverage against Clemson…against LSU did an outstanding job of helping on the fade when there was a busted coverage by the corner and he was able to rally in coverage…ball skills, tipped a ball against Georgia that should have been intercepted…can play with his hands when around the line…is not the tackler of Vaccaro of Texas or Cyprien of Florida International….really runs hot and cold in that regard…you will see him tackle high and bulldog his guy to the ground or nicely wrap up in the hole…then you will see him be selective not getting in the mix…not afraid to go for a cheap shot.

Eric Reid, 6-2, 212, LSU
There are plenty of people that have falling in love with Reid because of his physical make up but I tend to study the tape and see what that brings…there are parts of his game that I really struggle with….I don’t see a fluid moving player that plays with quick reactions…there were too many times where he let other teammates around him make plays…see him play a lot of coverage where he is allowed to use the boundary to help him…when he is asked to play man coverage you see him grab more than use technique to play against the receiver….did not see much quickness in his pedal or the reactions that you would like in your free safety…I am worried about his range…saw some plays against Florida where he was just jogging to the ball…took a terrible angle against Texas A&M playing the screen where he took himself out of the play which resulted in a touchdown…have a chance to be really wrong about this guy but the tape is telling me different.