2013 draft yields 3 solid starters for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...3-draft-yielded-three-solid-starters-for-rams

The Los Angeles Rams have four NFL drafts under their belt with coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead in charge. After releasing defensive end Chris Long and linebacker James Laurinaitis, the Rams only have four homegrown players remaining on the roster who were drafted before Snead and Fisher arrived.

Those four players -- end Robert Quinn, tight end Lance Kendricks, offensive lineman Rodger Saffold and defensive end Eugene Sims -- were taken in the 2011 (Quinn and Kendricks) and 2010 (Saffold and Sims) drafts.

As we head toward the draft at the end of the month, now is a good time to take stock of the four classes Fisher and Snead have brought in that form the foundation of the team.

We continue today with the 2013 NFL draft:

The picks: WR Tavon Austin (No. 8 overall), LB Alec Ogletree (No. 30), S T.J. McDonald (No. 71), WR Stedman Bailey (No. 92), OL Barrett Jones (No.113), CB Brandon McGee(No. 149), RB Zac Stacy (No. 160)

Who's left: Four of the seven players taken in 2013 remain on the roster in the form of Austin, Ogletree, McDonald and Bailey. Austin, Ogletree and McDonald have become key starters for the Rams and have contributed from Day 1. Bailey has flashed potential as a wideout and been a good special teams player but his status moving forward is unknown after he was shot twice in the head in November of last year. The Rams traded Stacy to the New York Jets during the 2015 draft and released Jones in the final round of cuts and McGee in October of last year.

Best picks: Austin had his best season yet in 2015, scoring 10 total touchdowns and putting up 907 yards from scrimmage, and McDonald continues to be a solid, hard-hitting force at strong safety. But all signs still point to Ogletree being the best of the bunch, even after he suffered what turned out to be a season-ending leg/ankle injury in Week 4 against Arizona. Before the injury, Ogletree looked to be on his way to a breakout season that might have seen him earn his first Pro Bowl berth. He had 42 tackles and two sacks in those first four contests. Now, the Rams are handing the reins of the defense to Ogletree, moving him to middle linebacker to replace Laurinaitis. They're all but certain to exercise their fifth-year option on Ogletree and hope to make him one of the centerpieces of their defense for years to come.

Worst pick: After one of the most decorated careers in college football history, Jones was a major disappointment for the Rams. Expected to step in and compete for the starting center job, Jones dealt with repeated injury setbacks in his first two seasons with the team. Those ailments prevented him from going through a full offseason program and gaining the strength needed to hold up in the middle. Finally, in the 2015 offseason, Jones was healthy and positioned to compete for the starting job with Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney. Despite his knowledge of the offense, Jones was unable to hold up physically and the Rams released him in the final round of cuts. He's currently on Philadelphia's offseason roster.

Breakdown: All things considered, this was a pretty good draft for the Rams, especially when you factor in that the 2013 draft isn't viewed as a particularly fruitful class. Landing three quality starters in Austin, Ogletree and McDonald isn't bad, particularly in a seven-man class, though a couple of later-round picks emerging as role players wouldn't have hurt. That said, it's still fair to question the Rams' move up for Austin, considering it cost them a second-round pick, which might have turned into another starter from this draft. In fact, at the time of the draft some advocated for the Rams to sit tight at No. 16 and take receiver DeAndre Hopkins instead of moving up for Austin. Hopkins has turned into the best wideout in the class and one of this draft's best players. Plus, the Rams would have kept their second-round pick. Nonetheless, this is still a solid class that should be able to contribute in meaningful

Ram65

Legend
Nick Wagoner ESPN Staff Writer did a good job on this one. Would have been interesting had they not moved up for Austin. Hopkins and a round 2 pick could trump Austin. I was surprised at the move up at the time. Tavon has been exciting to watch. He would have had more of an impact if he was given more chances and the Rams special teams had not been flagged on a lot of his returns. Can't fault the Rams for getting a play maker in Austin. McDonald the big surprise and great value. Can't wait to see Ogletree at MIKE. Too bad Jones could stay healthy and let's hope Stedman does stay healthy.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would challenge anyone to go find a clearly superior 4 year span of drafting from another GM the last four years(2012-2015).
I've looked at it, and i know that you will find alot of bad drafting from many teams, some decent drafting, and not a whole lot of consistently "good" drafting.

If the Debbie Downers want to look at Win/Loss records that's fine...but save that for the fire Fisher/coaching threads. Snead(along with Fisher) have drafted very well. It's easy to bash a few of the Rams picks if you haven't looked at the body of work from other teams the last four years.
Seattle for instance. Outstanding draft in 2012....it's been consistently poor since then.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would challenge anyone to go find a clearly superior 4 year span of drafting from another GM the last four years(2012-2015).
I've looked at it, and i know that you will find alot of bad drafting from many teams, some decent drafting, and not a whole lot of consistently "good" drafting.

If the Debbie Downers want to look at Win/Loss records that's fine...but save that for the fire Fisher/coaching threads. Snead(along with Fisher) have drafted very well. It's easy to bash a few of the Rams picks if you haven't looked at the body of work from other teams the last four years.
Seattle for instance. Outstanding draft in 2012....it's been consistently poor since then.
I don't get it either.
They have built a competitive team through the draft.
Had Bradford worked out, we'd be looking at the playoffs the past couple years.