2012 Rams Disappointment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I hate to be the voice of reason, but we have to be realistic....

Who's been the biggest disappointment this year?

1. Brian Quick
2. Steve Smith
3. Isaiah Pead
4. Scott Wells

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
shaunpinney said:

1. Brian Quick
2. Steve Smith
3. Isaiah Pead

Pead.

Here is why; most RB's adapt quickly. The league is littered with rookie/UDFA who had early success. Very early on, Pead ran like he had a lit stick of dynamite in his hand... The game was too fast for him. (That said, Im not giving up yet... Runners always can perform with good Oline play and health)

At WR (Quick) just the opposite. Hard position to transition to pros. But, admittedly, I still expected more.

Smith; lower expectations. Low expectations met!

F. Mulder

Starter
Pead and Smith.

I thought even if Pead played a role playing RB role he would be more active and provide some impact and Smith because I thought he was healed from his injury and would give Bradford the salty vet WR who could make the big 3rd down receptions etc.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I want to say Pead just because I think he has a ton of talent. But I have to go Quick just for the simple fact of how much hype came from the coaching staff and some of the folks over at the PD that watched him during practice. And for the simple fact he can't seem to totally grasp what is going on. I mean is he just not very bright or what?

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
CGI_Ram said:
shaunpinney said:

1. Brian Quick
2. Steve Smith
3. Isaiah Pead

Pead.

Here is why; most RB's adapt quickly. The league is littered with rookie/UDFA who had early success. Very early on, Pead ran like he had a lit stick of dynamite in his hand... The game was too fast for him. (That said, Im not giving up yet... Runners always can perform with good Oline play and health)

At WR (Quick) just the opposite. Hard position to transition to pros. But, admittedly, I still expected more.

Smith; lower expectations. Low expectations met!

I agree, to a certain extent on Pead. The issue is that Pead has also had the least chance to prove otherwise. Let's face it, if Richardson struggled and Pead got more of a chance and displyed the same, I would then be in the same boat. I think Pead will be fine. The electric burst is there, he likely just needs to slow the game down in his mind more. He looked very anxious to me earlier in the year. Nerves can be fixed, talent level can't.

Smith is my disappointment. I didn't expect 1000 yards or anything but I did expect him to be serviceable. He's not even that.

Quick, I expect to make progress next year. Never know what to expect from a small school guy like that. If he stinks next year... I'll be discouraged.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bwdenverram said:
I want to say Pead just because I think he has a ton of talent. But I have to go Quick just for the simple fact of how much hype came from the coaching staff and some of the folks over at the PD that watched him during practice. And for the simple fact he can't seem to totally grasp what is going on. I mean is he just not very bright or what?

Yeah, the hype stings... Eh?

But, I'm more patient with the WR position... As history suggests we should.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
smram said:
I agree, to a certain extent on Pead. The issue is that Pead has also had the least chance to prove otherwise. Let's face it, if Richardson struggled and Pead got more of a chance and displyed the same, I would then be in the same boat. I think Pead will be fine. The electric burst is there, he likely just needs to slow the game down in his mind more. He looked very anxious to me earlier in the year. Nerves can be fixed, talent level can't.

Good point; Richardson stole the light... Pead saw his opportunities dwindle.

The good news is; unlike years past, we seem to have some talent 1 thru 3.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I usually don't play this game and I don't know how you even put rooks in the this kind of conversation unless they are like top five but...

Hands down Smith. 131 yards? 6th season and by all accounts healthy. And he likely is only here because we couldn't rely on DX? And didn't he drop his one target on Sunday?

All that said, he could have a good game this week and I'd be running to catch his band wagon.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
CGI_Ram said:
bwdenverram said:

When you pass on a ton of talent with the 2nd pick and you talk about how great the pick is...well you know.
But I think he has the raw tools and will only get better. The TD he had against SF was a nice glimpse. He just shoved the dude out of the way and it was all over :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bwdenverram said:
CGI_Ram said:
bwdenverram said:

When you pass on a ton of talent with the 2nd pick and you talk about how great the pick is...well you know.
But I think he has the raw tools and will only get better. The TD he had against SF was a nice glimpse. He just shoved the dude out of the way and it was all over :)

Yeah, true enough. I can see why the Rams were impressed. He's got a nice build, too.

If I had a worry; it would be his ability to learn the offense. He seems so far behind, which is scary. I mean... Learning the offense is YOUR JOB. Come on!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
CGI_Ram said:
bwdenverram said:
CGI_Ram said:
bwdenverram said:

Yeah, true enough. I can see why the Rams were impressed. He's got a nice build, too.

If I had a worry; it would be his ability to learn the offense. He seems so far behind, which is scary. I mean... Learning the offense is YOUR JOB. Come on!

Yeah, that was one of my first points. I mean it can't be THAT hard. Everyone else seems to be ok why can't you? I don't know if that's the only reason but if it is..sheesh. Come on man. He reminds be of Denario for the fact when he makes a catch he is hard to bring down. A great thing.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'd say they've all underachieved with the exception of Wells who gets a pass due to injuries.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I had pretty high hopes for Steve Smith. He disappoints me the most. The rookies I can give a pass to in their first year, but not Smith. I watched a lot of him when he was with NY and PHI. Turns out I'm flanked by fans of both teams where I live. He looked really really good when I would watch him, and now -- shit. I hope it's just a matter of him not being familiar with the offense, but that's a bit much to attribute to a veteran. He should have had a better handle on things by now.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
X said:
I had pretty high hopes for Steve Smith. He disappoints me the most. The rookies I can give a pass to in their first year, but not Smith. I watched a lot of him when he was with NY and PHI. Turns out I'm flanked by fans of both teams where I live. He looked really really good when I would watch him, and now -- shit. I hope it's just a matter of him not being familiar with the offense, but that's a bit much to attribute to a veteran. He should have had a better handle on things by now.
Jeez, X, took the words right outta my mouth. I was gonna say the same thing don't count any of the rookies as disappointments, let's wait until next year and find out if we see any progress in their development. Pead and Quick are just a couple of players that didn't catch on their first year.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
I had pretty high hopes for Steve Smith. He disappoints me the most. The rookies I can give a pass to in their first year, but not Smith. I watched a lot of him when he was with NY and PHI. Turns out I'm flanked by fans of both teams where I live. He looked really really good when I would watch him, and now -- shyte. I hope it's just a matter of him not being familiar with the offense, but that's a bit much to attribute to a veteran. He should have had a better handle on things by now.
I agree, Steve Smith has probably been my biggest disappointment this year along with Scott Wells (only because of injuries). Like you I give the rookies a pass, especially Quick who was coming from a lower division school, didn't have much football experience before college, and went a significant part of college without a WR coach. In fact, I won't even consider this is rookie year, to me it's a redshirt year. Next year, I will begin to consider him a rookie.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
Quick who was coming from a lower division school, didn't have much football experience before college, and went a significant part of college without a WR coach. In fact, I won't even consider this is rookie year, to me it's a redshirt year. Next year, I will begin to consider him a rookie.
That's a great way to look at it. Makes sense.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I want to go a different direction and take either Haggans/Mcintosh. Either one was supposed to step in and do something, but even combined they don't have the stats of Dunbar (who has surprised the hell out of me)! Maybe it's the nuances of the spot, but I'm confident in saying that one good OLB will set this mother off.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
For me it's Smith. I reasoned before the season that if Smith played well that we'd be OK at WR while the youngsters were still developing. Smith hasn't done jack, and hasn't looked good at all.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wells. He's been alright since he came back, but was hoping he could've played all year.

Ahh well.