2012 POD Mock Draft: St. Louis Rams Select David DeCastro

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/4/4/ ... d-decastro

20120322_jel_aw4_217_extra_large.jpg

15 days ago: Mar 22, 2012; Stanford CA, USA; Stanford Cardinal guard David DeCastro during pro day at Stanford Practice Fields. Mandatory Credit: Jason O. Watson-US PRESSWIRE

With the sixth pick of Pride of Detroit's 2012 NFL mock draft, the St. Louis Rams select Stanford offensive guard David DeCastro. Ee Oulo is serving as the Rams' general manager, and his reasoning for the pick is below.

This pick is the coup de grâce of a three-year endeavor to create a dominant OL that has spanned two front offices. DeCastro is one of the most surefire OL picks in recent memory and will have a huge impact on this unit. The impact of this pick is likely to extend its influence past his position by salvaging past drafts as well! His presence, amplified by the addition (theft) of C Scott Wells from Green Bay, will have a redeeming factor for last year's 33rd pick, LT Rodger Saffold. It might even be far reaching enough to light a fire under perceived bust of the second overall pick in 2009, Jason Smith. With a line that is likely to read (left to right) as Saffold, DeCastro, Wells, Dahl and Smith, a unit of pitiful weakness now becomes potentially elite.

Beyond the impact of this addition on the OL directly, it will also elevate the play of the entire offense! This future Pro-Bowl guard will be instrumental in opening up huge holes for Steven Jackson, therefore increasing his production and perhaps extending his career. Having the strength, intelligence and versatility in play of this dominant OL will also play heavily in preventing 2010 No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford from getting shell shocked as well as crippled. That extra time and comfort will play huge in giving the WR corps time to develop plays and let Bradford's skill shine.

While some are sure to think this is a reach, it isn't anything other than the drafting of the clear and glaring BPA. This is selecting a future Pro-Bowler who will impact many offensive plays, and structure, for many, many seasons to follow. That is a value at any level of pick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Re: 2012 POD Mock Draft: St. Louis Rams Select David DeCastr

I would carefully polish a brash casing, and with diligence and detail, and fill the casing with explosive powder, then load the projectile into an empty chamber. I would then position the chamber into a firing position, take a deep breath, and then click...swoosh, bang.

Done.

paceram

Pro Bowler

DR RAM - I am going to take a wild guess that you don't like this pick! As much as I think DeCastro will end up having a great pro career I can't imagine the Rams picking someone not in the elite six (Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Richardson, Claiborne or Blackmon). And, since it is pretty safe to speculate that Luck (Colts) and Griffin will go in the top two that leaves whoever is left from Kalil, Richardson, Claiborne or Blackmon for the Rams unless some team trades up for Tannehill (which, I really hope happens!) or the Rams decide to trade down (which, I don't think they will do unless some team gives them an offer too good to be pass up). I am really hoping for Richardson but I will be very happy with any of those four players!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Old Mac Donald had a farm Ee Oulo Ee Oulo Oh. Just Thought I would try to equal the relevance. :peace:

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

If the Rams trade down out of the top ten, fine pick.
At six, not so much.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

REACH!!!

He may be the best Guard available, but he's certainly not the 6th BPA. Add in the fact that Jeff Fisher has never drafted an O-Lineman, regardless of position, in the first round.

If the Rams trade out of the top 10 and take DeCastro, I'd be ok with the pick. Otherwise, I don't see it happening.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

I wouldn't mind taking DeCastro if the Rams traded down to around #15, otherwise take one of the elite 6

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

Would have no problem with it. Hes the 2nd best OL in this draft, and we definitely need a starting LG. Would I be really upset if we passed up Trich, Blackmon, or Claiborne for him? Yes, initially, I would be very upset, then I would eventually calm down and think about how improved our starting OL looks, along with the depth we signed in FA. Saffold - DeCastro - Wells - Dahl - Smith(??). That could be a pretty damn good turnaround after what we went through with our OL last season.

I completely understand why people would be against this. You dont take a Guard that high, we can find one later on, when a OT struggles at his position, you can move him to OG(Robert Gallery). What do you do with an OG? Well, im pretty sure DeCastro can play C, so he has that potential versatility. When it comes to "reaching" for players I just dont care as much now about that because of the rookie salaries lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JdashSTL said:
Would have no problem with it. Hes the 2nd best OL in this draft, and we definitely need a starting LG. Would I be really upset if we passed up Trich, Blackmon, or Claiborne for him? Yes, initially, I would be very upset, then I would eventually calm down and think about how improved our starting OL looks, along with the depth we signed in FA. Saffold - DeCastro - Wells - Dahl - Smith(??). That could be a pretty damn good turnaround after what we went through with our OL last season.

I completely understand why people would be against this. You dont take a Guard that high, we can find one later on, when a OT struggles at his position, you can move him to OG(Robert Gallery). What do you do with an OG? Well, im pretty sure DeCastro can play C, so he has that potential versatility. When it comes to "reaching" for players I just dont care as much now about that because of the rookie salaries lol.
That's kind of where I am on this as well. The ancillary benefit would be noticeable right away. Like the OP said, he has the potential to make everyone else look better (and actually BE better). From everything I've read and watched, he's as close to a sure thing as it gets (aside from Kalil). And HOW LONG have we been complaining about the guards on this team? Dahl and DeCastro would be phenomenal, IMO.

But still -- like you said -- it would be hard to digest initially if the Rams passed on the other "big names" at the top of the draft to select a guard. That would definitely sting until we saw the actual benefits. And finally, it's probably not going to happen. Nothing about Fisher's past decisions lead me to believe he'll do something like that.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

HeiseNBerg said:
REACH!!!

He may be the best Guard available, but he's certainly not the 6th BPA. Add in the fact that Jeff Fisher has never drafted an O-Lineman, regardless of position, in the first round.

If the Rams trade out of the top 10 and take DeCastro, I'd be ok with the pick. Otherwise, I don't see it happening.

Some would suggest otherwise. He is considered the best interior lineman to come out in years. I have seen him ranked as high as 3rd among prospects. I think he is going to a stud OG. He has been compared to Steve Hutchinson. I would mind having a guy like that for the next decade.

I think if we do select him at 6 it IS because he is BPA. I think the main argument against taking him at 6 is that OG is not a premium position. The new rookie pay scale would reasonably allow us to take a guy like him in the top 10 should we wish to.

I think taking Blackmon at 6 would be a reach, but it is a reach you could make an argument for. WR is a huge need and a premium position.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

libertadrocks said:
HeiseNBerg said:
REACH!!!

Some would suggest otherwise. He is considered the best interior lineman to come out in years. I have seen him ranked as high as 3rd among prospects. I think he is going to a stud OG. He has been compared to Steve Hutchinson. I would mind having a guy like that for the next decade.

I think if we do select him at 6 it IS because he is BPA. I think the main argument against taking him at 6 is that OG is not a premium position. The new rookie pay scale would reasonably allow us to take a guy like him in the top 10 should we wish to.

I think taking Blackmon at 6 would be a reach, but it is a reach you could make an argument for. WR is a huge need and a premium position.

Yup, and I think it would hard for folks to accept us passing over Blackmon, Trich, or Claiborne for him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Oh, selecting Decastro at 6 would ignite a firestorm for sure but in the long run could possibly be the smartest move. But it would make the Rams have to neglect another position of need in this draft. Other positions of need are deeper in this draft so they just might shock everyone and do this.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Ramhusker said:
Oh, selecting Decastro at 6 would ignite a firestorm for sure but in the long run could possibly be the smartest move. But it would make the Rams have to neglect another position of need in this draft. Other positions of need are deeper in this draft so they just might shock everyone and do this.

Kinda my thinking too.

Would anyone opposed to Decastro at 6 be upset if we ended up with:

6)Decastro
33)Hill
39)Ta'amu

That, IMO, could be potentially the best combo of our top 3 picks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

He's still a prospect, there may be guys who end up being better guards in this draft. I'd pick Glenn over him in a heartbeat, he's bigger, faster, and more athletic. Glenn has more upside and he's pretty good now, plus he can play tackle...he has prototypical LT size and above average skills. Way better value...we're talking value here. Decastro's value is that he may be able to play some center, but we just signed a big name guy to do that, so this makes hardly any sense to me.

If the Rams made this pick, I'd have some very serious concerns about them.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Noooooooooooooooooo :grr: :ahahah: :wahhh: :wahhh: :wahhh: :wahhh:

Would I be furious..hm nah. But I would be very, very deflated.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

DR RAM said:
He's still a prospect, there may be guys who end up being better guards in this draft. I'd pick Glenn over him in a heartbeat, he's bigger, faster, and more athletic. Glenn has more upside and he's pretty good now, plus he can play tackle...he has prototypical LT size and above average skills. Way better value...we're talking value here. Decastro's value is that he may be able to play some center, but we just signed a big name guy to do that, so this makes hardly any sense to me.

Wow. I gotta completely disagree with you on that one Doc. Decastro is a vastly superior OG. Its not even close. IMO Cordy Glenn is a better OT than OG and will end up at RT in the NFL. Look back at 2010, when Cordy played OG. I dont see anything that screams anything more than JAG

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxDmMcMWfpA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LF1QtW67wE[/youtube]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

Wow. I gotta completely disagree with you on that one Doc. Decastro is a vastly superior OG. Its not even close. IMO Cordy Glenn is a better OT than OG and will end up at RT in the NFL. Look back at 2010, when Cordy played OG. I dont see anything that screams anything more than JAG

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxDmMcMWfpA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LF1QtW67wE[/youtube]
He's improved a bunch since then. I wouldn't pick Glenn at #6 either, I was just saying. I put a much higher value on a G/T, than a G/C. Glenn is one of the players in this draft that I would bang the table for in the mid to bottom 1st round if I needed a tackle. I'd bang my hand on the table for Decastro if i needed a guard or center, but I'd bang it at around the same spot.

If I was already a stacked team and all I needed was a guard, I'd look at it differently...obviously that is not the case for the Rams.

So, if the argument is that Decastro is currently a better player at the "guard position only" than Glenn, then I will gladly concede that.