2010 Jets Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

I've been looking at the numbers on a couple of offenses that relate to the Rams 2012 offense and what it might be. I picked teams and years that reflect things about the 3 main guys who will determine the shape and character of the Rams 2012 offense: Fisher, Shottenheimer, Boudreau.

pepboys.jpg

show_tickets_zz-top_130288296167.png

First, I looked at the 2008 Falcons. Here: link . I did that one because Boudreau is one of the key factors in what the Rams can and will do on offense, and he was the OL coach in Atlanta in 08. What's significant about 08 is that they had a rookie qb and an absolutely newly built OL. The OL pretty much determined who the Falcons were offensively--a very strong running team that could support a rookie qb. So Boudreau comes to the Rams with that kind of experience. He will have a lot of say in what happens.

I also looked at the 2008 Titans. Here: link .That was Fisher's last playoff team, so it gave a nice picture of what he did when things were going his way.

Here, I look at the 2010 Jets, to get an idea about Shottenheimer.

The 2010 Jets went 11-5 and beat the Colts and Patz before losing to the Steelers in the championship game. In terms of their make-up, they had a huge commitment to the run, a sophomore qb in Sanchez, a magnificent OL with Woody and Ferguson at OT and Mangold at OC (and with only one change, Slausen--a 2nd year UDFA--- replacing Faneca from the year before). The line was healthy all year. It was that line that allowed them to be one of the best running teams in the game (2nd in attempts, 4th in yards).

So what is the analogy between the 2010 Jets and the 2012 Rams? Besides the fact that Shottenheimer coordinated the Jets and now the Rams, there's the qb--Sanchez, though not as talented as Bradford, was in a roughly similar situation. Arguably, a young 3rd year Bradford learning a new offense after a set-back year is in the same general spot, comparatively speaking, as a 2nd year Sanchez playing in the same offense he had as a rookie. So roughly speaking, their situations in both years are temporarily similar. The Rams now, like the Jets then, are going to buttress things for the qb.

Looking at Sanchez's relevant numbers:

First, as I said, the Jets were 2nd in rushing attempts and 4th in yards. The feature backs were Tomlinson (219 carries, 900 something yards) and Shonn Greene (185 carries, 760 or so yards). McNight also go 39 carries (for 180 something yards). The running game set the tone for everything else on offense.

Jets were 18th in passing attempts, 22nd in yards, and 22nd in yards per attempt. Being ranked 3rd on defense was the foundation of what they did--the offense complemented the defense. Though, interestingly, Sanchez played slightly better when behind by 1-8 points than when ahead by the same margin. Their leading WRs were Cotchery, Holmes, and Edwards. They also had Keller, a very active receiving TE.

They tended to line up for passing plays and line up for running plays--meaning, there was little or no deception built into the formations. 14% of his attempts were out of 2+ TE sets, while 66% of his attempts were out of 3-4+ WR sets.

In contrast, if you combine the 3 main RBs--Tomlinson, Greene, McNight--48.3% of their rushing attempts were out of 2-3 TE sets, with 21% of their attempts out of 3-4+ WR sets.

All that adds up to say that wen they lined up to run OR pass, as a rule they tended to tell you with the formation. Shottenheimer, like Fisher, is a "line up and execute" kind of offensive mind. We know that he also liked various TE packages with extra blockers. In that respect what he did in 2010 is very similar, philosophically, to Jim Harbaugh and the 2011 49ers.

28.7% of Sanchez's throws were on first down. That represents 14.3% of total plays.
33.9% were on second down. That represents 16.9% of total plays.
29.5% were on third down. That represents 14.7% of total plays.

That last set of numbers (percentage of passing attempts by downs) is virtually identical to the 2008 Titans.

How did Sanchez's passes break down according to range? --->

Short. 10 Yards & below: 66.3% of total attempts, with 60.4% completions
Medium. 11-20 yards: 22% of total attempts, with 55% completions
Deep medium. 21-30 yards:6% of total attempts, with 30.0% completions
Long. 31+ yards: 5.7% of total attempts, with 17% completions ...which btw is pretty bad on long attempts.

Compare that to both Bradford in 2010, Collins in 2008, and Ryan in 2008:

BRADFORD 2010:
Short. 10 Yards & below:
74.4% of total attempts, with 66% completions
Medium. 11-20 yards: 18.5% of total attempts, with 47% completions
Deep medium. 21-30 yards: 3.7% of total attempts, with 27.3% completions
Long. 31+ yards: 2.9% of total attempts, with 23.5% completions ...which is a below okay completion rate on long attempts.

COLLINS 2008
Short. 10 Yards & below: 62.4% of total attempts, with just under 70% completions
Medium. 11-20 yards: 22.9% of total attempts, with a dismal 38.9% completions
Deep medium. 21-30 yards: 8% of total attempts, with 36.4% completions
Long. 31+ yards: 4.3% of total attempts, with 27% completions ...which btw is low end "okay" on on long attempts.

RYAN 2008:
Short. 10 Yards & below:
64.4% of total attempts, with 66.3% completions
Medium. 11-20 yards: 23% of total attempts, with 59% completions
Deep medium. 21-30 yards: 7.3% of total attempts, with 40.6% completions
Long. 31+ yards: 5.3% of total attempts, with 34% completions ...which btw is not a bad completion rate on long attempts.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Interesting. Who were these QBs 'go-to guys' in these breakdowns? Is there a discernible difference between what Ryan and say, Collins, had to work with? Having fully embraced the 'team concept' of football now, I'd like to know more.

I understand what you're saying here though. You're just breaking down Schottenheimer's tendencies.

But.

What if any of those QBs had someone like Randy Moss (Culpepper) or Calvin Johnson (Stafford). I think there would be a direct affect on these numbers you've presented. Oh, and what's considered a good completion percentage over 40 yards? What's the standard?