20 Random Thoughts: 2022 Season Premier

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. And we're back! 20RT will resume its normal weekly schedule today!

2. Hopefully, it will continue into February again!

3. That's a lot of random thoughts...

4. Looking back, it has been a very productive offseason.

5. The Rams extended three key pieces in Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald. Not having to worry about their contracts is a big deal as the Rams prepare to run it back.

6. Though not as headline-grabbing, the front office made two other key moves in signing Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen to three year deals. If they can anchor the OL over that span, this is bargain shopping. If not, they're deals won't handcuff us.

7. The signing of Allen Robinson was a huge coup from a timing standpoint. Coming off a down season, A-Rob's price was affordable. Then, the WR market exploded. A-Rob will now get to show what he can do with a top notch QB and an elite WR taking the pressure off of him. I'm excited about his potential.

8. Bobby Wagner was also a huge move, and alleviated the regret in losing Von Miller to the Bills. I actually think Wagner will have a bigger impact on the defense, both due to his play and his leadership, than Miller would have.

9. I'll get more into the Bills match-up next Monday, but I do have one question: is Gabe Davis really an emerging superstar? I've seen a lot of hype surrounding him since his monster playoff game against the Chiefs (201 yards, 4 TDs), but his stats over his first two seasons are rather pedestrian (never broken 600 yards in a season, 56% catch rate). Maybe he's a guy on the cusp, but I wonder.

10. Tutu Atwell has received some positive buzz this offseason. It will be interesting to see if he can have the type of impact the Rams hoped to receive (for more than a few weeks) from Desean Jackson last year.

11. Could the Rams finally secure OBJ after cut-down day? Clearly, McVay wants him and OBJ wants to return. Just comes down to money (and, perhaps, timing with respect to the ability to place him on the recall IR?).

12. I have to admit - I'm surprised that Jimmy Garoppolo is still a 49er. Maybe that changes this week? At this point, I'm hoping he's traded/released, as I don't want the 49ers to have a safety net behind unproven Trey Lance.

13. Speaking of cut-down day (tomorrow), I don't anticipate that any significant vets will be released, unless you count Bobby Evans as "significant."

14. Is Taylor Rapp currently our most tradeable/expendable commodity?

15. I will be happy if Cam Akers, Darryl Henderson and Kyren Williams are practicing at "full" capacity this week. I'm really curious to see how well we are able to run the ball.

16. Speedy recovery to Brian Robinson.

17. Player I predict will have the best year of his career: Leonard Floyd.

18. Player who could become obsolete by end of year: Darryl Henderson.

19. Its been so great having over six months to bask in the glow of a championship.

20. The Rams are the defending champions until some team (1) eliminates them from playoff contention, or (2) eliminates them from the playoffs. I think we have a great chance of that NOT happening this season.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Enjoyed it all. Never thought about perhaps signing OBj after cut down day and placing him on the IR..

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Cut the pre-season down to 2 games, add an 18'th game to the regular season along with 2 more BYE games each, expand the rosters to 55 players & make them all eligible.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
10. Tutu Atwell has received some positive buzz this offseason. It will be interesting to see if he can have the type of impact the Rams hoped to receive (for more than a few weeks) from Desean Jackson last year.
I was thinking about this a few days ago… “no tape exists” on how the Rams plan to use Tutu Atwell. And… that is a recipe for an explosive play week 1.

Flint

Pro Bowler
8. I heard a guy on the radio saying no one else wanted B Wagner and he’s past his prime. I think this move will be one of the genius moves of the off season.
Wagner is still very productive, a bunch of tackles for a bad seahawk team.
A big upgrade over what we had previously, I don’t think the niners will be seeking out Wagner like the did Reeder.
A guy with intimate knowledge of every team in the west.

12. Is Lance the guy or not? The niners were trying to replicate the Chiefs strategy, draft a better guy to replace a serviceable guy. Let the rookie sit for a year and unleash him on the league and trade the old guy.
Conventional wisdom says you don’t want Jimmy looking over a young guy’s shoulder but Lance doesn’t have the kind of experience you would hope in a guy drafted so high. Maybe he needs more time, Rodgers sat for 3 years after all. But there are also first rounders all over who are starting but never going to be good enough. Hopefully it’s a dumpster fire.