20 Random Stumbling Into the Halfway Point Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. Man, I hate games like that.

2. Simply put, this was a classic example of giving away a game.

3. Over 300 yard disparity... and we lose by 11???? Seriously... WTF!?!?

4. Anyway, ranting won't help. Let's identify the three problems our offense is having right now.

5. Problem #1: Play calling. I feel like the feast or famine outcomes are the result of too much "trying to fool the defense" instead of "trying to beat the defense."

6. That leads to Problem #2: Jared Goff does well when you fool the defense. Jared Goff does fairly well when he attacks the defense head-on. When the plan fails, and Jared Goff has to make snap decisions and improvise... bad things happen.

7. I also am of the belief that the Rams' WR corps, while extremely good, could use a speed guy to scare defenses. I and others have suggested taking a flyer on John Ross. If not, that's a role I'd like to fill next off-season (likely as a replacement for Reynolds, who I think will receive more money from someone else than we should pay).

8. For a guy trying to earn a second contract, Gerald Everett is not stepping up. His drop, leading to a long FG attempt rather than a first down inside the 30, was a killer. There's talent there, but the consistency is lacking.

9. Its hard not to miss Bones right now.

10. You have to give credit to the defense. Outstanding effort.

11. With A'Shawn Robinson and the return of Jordan Fuller after the bye, the defense may get even better.

12. Okay... breath. We're 5-3 at the halfway mark, and would be in the playoffs if the season ended today.

13. This season will be defined, of course, by our performance within the division. Last year, we were 3-3 in the division. We'll need to at least match that (meaning winning 3 of 5 in the second half of the season).

14. Not to make excuses, but the Rams' travel schedule in the first half of the season was brutal. In the second half, we have one trip to Tampa and, otherwise, will have 5 home games and two away games in the West (@Seattle, @Arizona). That could be a significant factor.

15. I was glad that the Seahawks beat the 49ers. A 3 team race is better than a 4 team race, and the 49ers are going to have to run a gauntlet (Green Bay, @New Orleans, @rams, Buffalo) to stay in the hunt.

16. Speaking of the schedule... the Seahawks travel to Buffalo next week and then come to our house. We have 2 weeks to prepare for the Seahawks' offense (which we're already familiar with). The team should be angry and fired up. Can you say "opportunity," boys and girls?

17. The NFL Defensive Player of the Year will be Aaron Donald or Myles Garrett. At this point, they are the only two candidates.

18. Really glad Jalen Ramsey does not have COVID.

19. I'll be surprised if the Rams make a trade... not shocked, but surprised.

20. Bye for now!

TXRams86

The Infamous
16. Speaking of the schedule... the Seahawks travel to Buffalo next week and then come to our house. We have 2 weeks to prepare for the Seahawks' offense (which we're already familiar with). The team should be angry and fired up. Can you say "opportunity," boys and girls?
I agree with almost everything you said except for the part I quoted above. Our defense has been playing extremely well and it's the last unit I'm concerned with. What we should be doing is preparing for the Seahawks, and the rest of the league, to blitz the hell out of our offense because we have shown nothing to slow that down. The offense used to be our team's strong suit but it's the defense this season.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with almost everything you said except for the part I quoted above. Our defense has been playing extremely well and it's the last unit I'm concerned with. What we should be doing is preparing for the Seahawks, and the rest of the league, to blitz the hell out of our offense because we have shown nothing to slow that down. The offense used to be our team's strong suit but it's the defense this season.
I agree that we need to be sharper with our countermeasures but, the good news is, Seattle’s defense has been downright bad this year.

TomMack

Rookie
All things considered I’ll take 5-3 at this point all day.
After all the Rams have played more games on the east coast than they have in their new stadium.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great stuff as usual.
Losing sucks, period.
Watching Goff take 2 steps forward, 2 steps back is painful.
BUT, games where the Rams are getting destroyed, cant look any worse, in the recent past were blowouts. And here they are, cant look any worse, and still find themselves clawing back in the 4th Q, where a break here or there changes the outcome.
That's heart, and that's something which can be carried in to the 2nd half. They are right there. 5-3 with 5 division games left, 3 of which at home? Yep, great shape. The D keeps looking stronger and if the offense can play god awful and still have a chance to win, they also know they dont need to be perfect either

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

4. Anyway, ranting won't help. Let's identify the three problems our offense is having right now.

5. Problem #1: Play calling. I feel like the feast or famine outcomes are the result of too much "trying to fool the defense" instead of "trying to beat the defense."

6. That leads to Problem #2: Jared Goff does well when you fool the defense. Jared Goff does fairly well when he attacks the defense head-on. When the plan fails, and Jared Goff has to make snap decisions and improvise... bad things happen.

7. I also am of the belief that the Rams' WR corps, while extremely good, could use a speed guy to scare defenses. I and others have suggested taking a flyer on John Ross. If not, that's a role I'd like to fill next off-season (likely as a replacement for Reynolds, who I think will receive more money from someone else than we should pay).

8. For a guy trying to earn a second contract, Gerald Everett is not stepping up. His drop, leading to a long FG attempt rather than a first down inside the 30, was a killer. There's talent there, but the consistency is lacking.

11. With A'Shawn Robinson and the return of Jordan Fuller after the bye, the defense may get even better.

12. Okay... breath. We're 5-3 at the halfway mark, and would be in the playoffs if the season ended today.

13. This season will be defined, of course, by our performance within the division. Last year, we were 3-3 in the division. We'll need to at least match that (meaning winning 3 of 5 in the second half of the season).

14. Not to make excuses, but the Rams' travel schedule in the first half of the season was brutal. In the second half, we have one trip to Tampa and, otherwise, will have 5 home games and two away games in the West (@Seattle, @Arizona). That could be a significant factor.

15. I was glad that the Seahawks beat the 49ers. A 3 team race is better than a 4 team race, and the 49ers are going to have to run a gauntlet (Green Bay, @New Orleans, @rams, Buffalo) to stay in the hunt.

17. The NFL Defensive Player of the Year will be Aaron Donald or Myles Garrett. At this point, they are the only two candidates.

20. Bye for now!

Very nice write up AvengerRam, I agree we definitely need speed or at the very least a physical big WR. We need someone that can make a Defense pay for going all out on a blitz. On Pt17 I would not rule out Watt from Pittsburgh. Still have a lot of games to play.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

20. Bye for now!
Great read and I agree on all points... So you must be right..... Lol.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Good post. I agree with most everything you said however, I think we do have a deep threat, we are just not treating him as one. Jefferson has all the ability to be a deep threat (speed, size, route running). Everett disgusted me yesterday with I believe 2 big drops and some missed blocking assignments. I liked what I saw from Mundt, give him some more PT and sit Everett on his ass. At least Mundt looked like he was trying, Everett, not so much. He certainly wasn't the only guy to drop passes yesterday however.

On all out blitz's, why are we not running quick slants across the middle thats left open due to blitz. Forget the sideline short routes, have WR's close the gap to the QB so he can drop back and dump off right away. Of course Goff could either get the pass batted or throw it to a DLineman....

And finally, Akers looked really pretty good. He could have gotten some more out of a few carries, but that's to be expected with only having like 15 carries in his NFL career.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its more than obvious than McVay has to game plan from here on out to protect our weak-ass QB who can't handle pressure. Roll him out every play or put in another RB-TE to help block.

Goff has been regressing game by game.