20 Random Slip Slidin’ Away Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip sliding away...

2. I have no regrets about my guarantee that did not come to pass. I felt it, I said it, I own it.

3. As usual after a loss, the Goff Buzzards are circling. They are not without their right to do so - Goff made some very bad plays that had a major impact on the game - but I fear they are also overlooking the real problem...

4. The OL is bad. There's no way around it. Earlier in the season (when our best lineman was playing), McVay masked the problem with misdirection and surprise (not to mention some favorable match-ups). That only lasts so long. We're not fooling anyone now, and the OL is not winning when it has to just beat its opposition.

5. The goal line stand was a clear example. McVay wanted to just punch it in (I'd say his failure to mix in a pass was misguided and cowardly), and the OL could not make a hole. Blame Goff for a lot of things, but that one is not on him.

6. Defenses have figured out that the deep pass is not really a threat, as Goff has little time to set up and step up, and deep speed is not our WR corps forte. So that's one part of the field they don't have to defend.

7. Defenses have also figured out the roll out plays (which we run because we CAN'T protect Goff in the pocket). They (with good reason) don't fear Goff running the ball, and the DBs are reading the pass options.

8. If McVay wants to run this offense, the only hope in the future is to improve the OL play (particularly between the tackles), so the Rams can win at the LOS, run the ball, set up play action, and give Goff time to do the things that he does well.

9. The injury bug has now really hit. At the time of this writing, Goff's status is unknown, but in doubt. Akers is almost certainly out for the finale, and Henderson may be as well.

10. Time to look up highlight films for Xavier Jones and Raymond Calais.

11. The bigger question mark, of course, is John Wolford. If you say you think you have a handle on how he'd do if pressed into action, you're either a Wake Forest fan, or a liar.

12. If we can get the win (or if the Bears lose to the Packers), will there be reinforcements for the playoffs? A quick return for Goff and Henderson? Akers? Whit? Kiser?

13. The real shame of yesterday is that we still have the Hawks' number - at least when our defense is on the field. With a half-decent offensive performance, we beat them again.

14. Which brings me to an intriguing possibility... a THREE-MATCH? We very well could be seeing that in two weeks, as Seattle could end up with the 3 seed, and we could slot in at No. 6.

15. You have to feel bad for the defense - possibly the best one we've had in 20 years.

16. Can we keep John Johnson and Leonard Floyd? Probably not, but cap management is a funny thing in the NFL.

17. Matt Gay looks like a viable option at PK for next year. Nsimba Webster at KR/PR does not.

18. I'm not going make a guarantee this week, but the Cardinals are really struggling, so I can see us winning and advancing to the postseason next Sunday. The defense is going to have to win this one for us, though.

19. As fans, we get spoiled at times by success, and its screws with our expectations. Kurt Warner's 1999 campaign was a once in a lifetime story - don't put that on Wolford. McVay isn't really a genius - he's a good young coach who took the league by storm, but is still learning his craft.

20. Still, as fans (derived from the word "fanatic"), there's always that spark of hope that something magical is just about to happen...

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Agree with a lot you said.

I've personally cooled off on JJ3, he's solid but doesn't seem to be making the plays he did that really made him a name. Floyd no doubt is firing on all cylinders, and at this point, I'd choose him over JJ3 to sign.

As far as ST go, I'm not sure what's wrong with Hekker. Is he hurt? Matt Gay seems to be a option for our future and Webster is awful. Also, please can our ST Coordinator after the season.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Finally someone agrees with me.

We did not address the OL at all other than a late 7rh rounder. When there is a large sample size of Goff's work then you can make an analysis. 17 & 18 the pockets were wide, he had ample time to throw and he consistently threw deep overs, curls and outs. We never throw those any more why is that has McVay changed his philosophy I doubt it. Has Goff regressed unlikely since if you look at his Cal tape and 17 & 18 you see exactly the same success.

What I do disagree with McVay on is his handling of Goff with an inferior OL. I would for the time being (minimumly this season) put him or Wolfold in shot gun so they don't waste time dropping back. The problem is the OL can't hold up and the QB in this current offense needs to deal with reading the D, faking a jet sweep handoff, faking a EV handoff before he has time to turn around and look downfield to see if his receiver is open. With a better line no problem and scheme wise it works brilliantly but with a dicey OL it doesn't.

Change the scheme in the short run and reap better results.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Agree with a lot you said.

I've personally cooled off on JJ3, he's solid but doesn't seem to be making the plays he did that really made him a name. Floyd no doubt is firing on all cylinders, and at this point, I'd choose him over JJ3 to sign.

As far as ST go, I'm not sure what's wrong with Hekker. Is he hurt? Matt Gay seems to be a option for our future and Webster is awful. Also, please can our ST Coordinator after the season.

Hekker can't put his foot in it because he'd be out kicking the mediocre coverage. So he's kinda limited to 40 yard punts b/c otherwise, he'll get a return that nets less.

As for who's coming back, if we make the playoffs, Big Whit for sure and maybe Akers and Kiser.

The upside of Wolford is that he's a LOT more mobile and teams have no tape on him, so for a game or two, he's gonna be a mystery that McVay can scheme into some nice situations.

I mean, if he throws in a few read options and some deep passes, that should catch defenses way off guard, but we'll see.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
if you are not sure about the need to improve the ol watch the bills at cheaters game last night. allen has at times 3 to4 seconds to survey the df and no one even makes him move. all the defenders are kept in front of him so he does not have to worry about getting hit from behind or knocking the ball out of his hand. the deference between our ol and the bills just jumps out at you.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
11. The bigger question mark, of course, is John Wolford. If you say you think you have a handle on how he'd do if pressed into action, you're either a Wake Forest fan, or a liar.

...and I'm not sure which is worse.

Go 'Heels!