20 Random Preseason Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. Time for the 2021 season's first data dump!

2. It was cool to see the Rams on the field in SoFi again, this time with fans in the stands.

3. The blue on blue uniforms, much like many of the players on the field on Saturday, should not be seen in the regular season.

4. There were a few players who caught my eye. Justin Lawler was one. He certainly looked like a veteran among a lot of inexperienced players. Given the depth chart on the edge, he could make the team.

5. Tutu Atwell had a couple of plays that demonstrated that extra gear. He'll have to battle Raymond Calais, though, for that punt return role.

6. Jacob Harris' physical talent was very evident. With Gerald Everett gone, I think he could see a lot of playing time (particularly in the Red Zone).

7. The backup OL did not have a good game. That's not overly concerning, as the only potential starter who was out there was Bobby Evans (who seems to be dropping on the depth chart).

8. Because the OL was ineffective, I can't say that I gleaned much information about our RBs behind Darrel Henderson.

9. Corey Bojorquez has a leg, but I still think Johnny Hekker will keep his job. Perhaps we can turn CB into a 6th or 7th round draft pick?

10. Two others who caught my eye were Ernest Jones and J.R. Reed.

11. Was it me, or were the Chargers blitzing a lot for first preseason game?

12. A lot of hype regarding the rookie QBs, some of which is pretty silly.

13. For example, Trey Lance threw a very nice pass for an 80 yard TD, and the web erupted. His total stat line: 4-14, 128 yards... and he took 4 sacks.

14. Justin Fields is also getting a lot of hype today. I still think we'll see Andy Dalton under center in Week 1 when we face the Bears.

15. It really amazes me that there are betting lines on preseason games. They're glorified practices at this point.

16. I think the starting OL needs to get some August reps. Not sure McVay agrees.

17. Malcolm Brown is a guy I may regret losing.

18. Nobody on the waiver wire/unsigned FA list really intrigues me right now, but that could change as cutdowns begin.

19. I have a new 75 inch TV and a very comfortable new sofa. If NFL stadiums want my $, they're going to have to step up their game, because my living room is tough to beat!

20. Man, I'm glad football is back!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
You sure on Brown? His stat line was 8 carries for 9 yards. Miami's o line was garbage, but you can't deny Brown's blitz pickup skills.

oldnotdead

Legend
The hold-out list is growing and will be 37, maybe even 40 the rest of the way.

I'd be surprised if Hekker makes the team. He's 31 and his leg is going. Bojorquez's will give DeCamillis' guys better hang time. Staley was an ass trying to make his team look good to sell tickets and establish his bonafide. Most teams don't blitz at all in preseason he was abusing 2nd and 3rd unit guys not caring if anyone got hurt. Screw Staley, he's really joined the dark side of the Chargers. It was unnecessary especially against the team that made him. Fuck cheap shot Staley.

IMO neither of the Ram's QBs are worth the PS space. Perkins isn't a scheme fit. The problem is AZ will sign him IMO. They need a running QB behind Murray. McVay just wants a QB that can pick up 5 or 6 yds on a scramble. He has that in Stafford and Wolfie. If Matt can mentor John in reading defenses, Wolford can be a very good QB, better than some starters actually. When the Rams can't afford Wolford, 2 years of association with Stafford will increase his trade value to a high 2 or low 1. He will be viewed as a potential starter, not a backup.

Their starting OL looks fine now. They will get quality reps in a Raider joint practice. The Raiders looked good in preseason. Their OL looks much improved.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
3. The blue on blue uniforms, much like many of the players on the field on Saturday, should not be seen in the regular season.

Watching the game I kept thinking "the Rams got to see this"...

The blue on blue... it's not great.

We sort of look like a stack of storage bins out there.

S-12415BLU.jpg

I can't remember if I shared it... about 2 weeks ago I was listening to a podcast with Kevin Demoff... This was right after the new white uniform release. When it came to discussing the gradient, his exact words "we will have the gradient this year" but it was being said in the context that it could change next year. My take was, he is aware the gradient is not popular.

Or... at least; that was what I interpreted.

He also said they plan to use the two helmet rule. Not recalling his exact words, but something like that. Listening to him, my guess would be white horns... not having a version with the old horns. But, I am guessing a little more on this one.

Yellow pants with the blue top is the best combination for the blue jersey, IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
6. Jacob Harris' physical talent was very evident. With Gerald Everett gone, I think he could see a lot of playing time (particularly in the Red Zone).

It sure looks like the Rams are preparing him for game snaps - This year.

He definitely looks raw out there. You particularly notice it after the catch. At the same time, he also has a certain smoothness. He's an exciting player. :horns:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
They're such an embarrassment. The blue pants need to be donated somewhere. They're almost worse than the banana horns.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
AvengerRam, I always love your insightful semi-playful review of things. Absolutely love it. And once again you hit the old nail on the head.
""12. A lot of hype regarding the rookie QBs, some of which is pretty silly"".
Dead on. Lawrence and Wilson will probably be the only 2 starting on week one and there will be a couple of Def. Coor. licking their lips to get after them. The rest might get a shot due to injury or overall record down the way. And while there might be moments, none will take the league by storm.
But I wanted to say, keep them coming every week.

dang

Legend
1. Time for the 2021 season's first data dump!

2. It was cool to see the Rams on the field in SoFi again, this time with fans in the stands.

4. There were a few players who caught my eye. Justin Lawler was one. He certainly looked like a veteran among a lot of inexperienced players. Given the depth chart on the edge, he could make the team.

5. Tutu Atwell had a couple of plays that demonstrated that extra gear. He'll have to battle Raymond Calais, though, for that punt return role.

7. The backup OL did not have a good game. That's not overly concerning, as the only potential starter who was out there was Bobby Evans (who seems to be dropping on the depth chart).

8. Because the OL was ineffective, I can't say that I gleaned much information about our RBs behind Darrel Henderson.

9. Corey Bojorquez has a leg, but I still think Johnny Hekker will keep his job. Perhaps we can turn CB into a 6th or 7th round draft pick?

10. Two others who caught my eye were Ernest Jones and J.R. Reed.

11. Was it me, or were the Chargers blitzing a lot for first preseason game?

13. For example, Trey Lance threw a very nice pass for an 80 yard TD, and the web erupted. His total stat line: 4-14, 128 yards... and he took 4 sacks.

14. Justin Fields is also getting a lot of hype today. I still think we'll see Andy Dalton under center in Week 1 when we face the Bears.

15. It really amazes me that there are betting lines on preseason games. They're glorified practices at this point.

16. I think the starting OL needs to get some August reps. Not sure McVay agrees.

18. Nobody on the waiver wire/unsigned FA list really intrigues me right now, but that could change as cutdowns begin.

19. I have a new 75 inch TV and a very comfortable new sofa. If NFL stadiums want my $, they're going to have to step up their game, because my living room is tough to beat!

20. Man, I'm glad football is back!
nice write up.

re: 18. Nobody on the waiver wire/unsigned FA list really intrigues me right now, but that could change as cutdowns begin.

There will be some decent options at RB after final cuts. Not sure the Rams will bite but the opportunity will be there. I hope the do to build some depth.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
You sure on Brown? His stat line was 8 carries for 9 yards. Miami's o line was garbage, but you can't deny Brown's blitz pickup skills.
Did you notice the play where Calais put his whole heart into a block in the backfield, and the Charger pass rusher just pushed him over with a hand and ran right over him without even slowing down?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think the Rams will find someone on the Waiver wire in regards to RB. Not really sure if they want to go that route or not because McVay doesn't trust a young RB. If anything he'll probably get a Vet that has something left to prove. I don't see Any of our Young RB's being the No2 at this point but a lot can change in the upcoming weeks.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I actually like the blueberries, as some call them, as much as most other combinations. They're not better than the blue/yellows, but they are better than the all bone with the bone socks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they want to scoop a pick moving Hekker is the way to do it. I think Bojorquez might be our new punter. He was booming those kicks Saturday night.

Maybe. But the good thing is he'd only help us for a game or so until he gets dinged up himself.

The problem with the RB room in general is the Rams' hubris in their roster building. Even with Akers not getting hurt you have two oft-injured types in Hendy and Funk as 50% of your stable. The decision to not bring in a physical runner who can eat snaps is the issue. But again McVay has a lack of appreciation for physical backs. Maybe Snead needs to push that shit to ensure we don't come up short.

Also of note is that the Rams have been running power/duo in preseason. I think the back they bring in from the cuts will be a guy who is well versed in squeezing yards in that scheme. At least that is my hope.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It is silly, but expected.
In every sports media production room in every meeting:
"Ok first order of business....hype the rookie QB's, especially the guys who can scramble.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Harris flashed but i hope he's not one of these guys who has great instincts, hands and natural ability except when it comes to protecting the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I don't like them either. Burn the blue pants, burn the white pants, and burn the bone pants. Wear the yellow pants with all looks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I don't like them either. Burn the blue pants, burn the white pants, and burn the bone pants. Wear the yellow pants with all looks.
I've turned the corner on the helmet, and will admit it looks pretty bad ass. The blue on blue though? Along with that fresh turf? God, I thought I needed to put on sunglasses to watch

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If they want to scoop a pick moving Hekker is the way to do it. I think Bojorquez might be our new punter. He was booming those kicks Saturday night.
I wouldn't be upset if they went in this direction. I'm neutral. I don't recall what Hekker's contract numbers are but as you said he may garner a low draft pick at this point, whereas his value will only diminish from here on out.