20 Random Back on the Grid with a Positive Outlook Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. After two weeks completely off the grid in the Ecuadorian Amazon and Galapagos Islands, I'm back with a fresh perspective and newfound enthusiasm for the upcoming year.

2. I'm struck by how different our team is compared to the last two years...

3. As the 2021 season approached, we found ourselves anticipating a run by a veteran team with a newly acquired helmsman. "Super Bowl or bust" was a very reasonable opening mantra, and it only heightened with the midseason acquisitions of Von Miller and OBJ.

4. Going into 2021, the mantra was "run it back." Again, a reasonable starting place, though, perhaps, in hindsight, some of the niggling doubts raised by several departures should have been viewed as assertive harbingers.

5. Now, as we approach a new season, I feel as though we're in a new story arc, if you will, and its one I find quite intriguing.

6. Our 2023 roster, as I see it, contains three distinct groups.

7. The first group is the holdover championship core. This includes Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp, and Aaron Donald. The small size of this group is a testament to the difficulty in sustaining a championship roster, but the presence of these three (and a few others) gives our squad that "championship DNA" that seems to be a key component for successful teams.

8. The second group consists of veteran players who need to prove that they are part of the long-term plan. This includes Cam Akers, Van Jefferson, Alaric Jackson, Ernest Jones and Jordan Fuller (just to name a few). While all of these guys will, of necessity, have big roles in 2023, beyond that, their future is anyone's guess.

9. That brings us to the massive third group, consisting of a long list of first and second year players who will fight for playing time and then try to survive a trial by fire. Inherent in this part of the roster is uncertainty, but I truly believe that some diamonds will emerge from this rough part of the roster.

10. So how will this group somehow form a family? I think that question raises two key sub-questions.

11. The first is whether the established players can sustain their elite level long enough to converge with the development of the younger guys. That question will likely be answered over the next two seasons.

12. The second is whether the Rams have succeeded in selecting players who are ready to handle being thrown into the mix right away. Some will benefit from this scenario, while others will likely be overwhelmed.

13. So where does that leave us in terms of prospects for 2023? I'm optimistic. I've already predicted a playoff appearance, and I'm sticking to that.

14. I'm still surprised by the selection of Stetson Bennett. If the notion is that he's just a backup who we hope will never play, fine. But does Sean McVay really see him as Matthew Stafford's eventual replacement? I just don't see him that way.

15. If a crystal ball were to tell me that Zach Evans will be the Rams primary back (and having great success) within two years, I would not be shocked. He is extremely talented. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a factor.

16. Preseason will be more watchable this year than in the past, with all the young guys.

17. At first glance, the schedule looks tough, particularly at the front end. That can change very quickly though, so I'm not going to sweat it too much.

18. I'm not expecting any significant veteran signings between now and camp. Perhaps we'll grab someone in late-August, but I think the next big acquisition will be more likely to occur towards the trade deadline if our record justifies making a move for the back end of the season.

19. I'm not going to spend much time issuing retorts to the many commentators who will likely downgrade the Rams going into this season. I'll just continue to point out their collie molesting tendencies.

20. We still have a franchise QB, an Offensive MVP and a Defensive MVP on the roster. If we can find the right mix through our youth movement, we'll be a tough team this year, and stronger going forward.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Rams are expected to have over 70 million in cap space next year. Maybe some finagling can give them even more. They're gonna have a good look at the guys who are in their final year. Higbee, Akers, Jefferson and Fuller are the top guys who are in their contract years. If they plan to keep any of them they will have the money to do so.

They will have a bevy of first and second year players to get a good look at. If things are going the way many expect then the second half of the season should be auditions for starting spots or bigger roles in a rotation. Hopefully, with 2023 a learning year for many young guys they can find some capable starters and/or role players for 2024 and beyond. Time will tell.

Tano

Legend
14. I'm still surprised by the selection of Stetson Bennett. If the notion is that he's just a backup who we hope will never play, fine. But does Sean McVay really see him as Matthew Stafford's eventual replacement? I just don't see him that way.
This

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We still have a franchise QB, an Offensive MVP and a Defensive MVP on the roster.

And… the league’s best HC.

If a crystal ball were to tell me that Zach Evans will be the Rams primary back (and having great success) within two years, I would not be shocked. He is extremely talented. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a factor.

I hope you are right. THAT would be a big boost to the team.

After two weeks completely off the grid in the Ecuadorian Amazon and Galapagos Islands

What was the best part? Sounds cool.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And… the league’s best HC.

I hope you are right. THAT would be a big boost to the team.

What was the best part? Sounds cool.
Hard to pick one thing… so many amazing sights and sightings. I highly recommend the trip.