20 Random 2023 Commencement Thoughts (20RT Season Finale!)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. I've always liked the use of the term "commencement" to describe graduation. Or, as Semisonic put it, in semi-wordy fashion, every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

2. I won't lie. Adjusting from a battle cry of "run it back," to realizing it would be a struggle, to accepting that this is not our year was a tough road. But I'm over it now and ready to look ahead.

3. So many questions... the first that seems to be on the minds of many is Sean McVay's future.

4. Here's what I know... diddly squat.

5. You know who also knows diddly squat? Adam Schefter, Ian Rappoport, Peter Schrager, Mike "Collie Molester" Florio, and every person with a twitter account or username on a forum.

6. Heck... Sean McVay probably doesn't know the answer. And that's where my hope comes from. My theory is, if he was going to leave, he'd know now (or in the next week). If he's just tired and needs a break, let him have it. After a week on some beach, he'll be drawing up plays in the sand and calling the scouting department about prospects for Day 2 of the draft.

7. I'm also going to resist the temptation to worry about Matthew Stafford, Aaron Donald, or any of the other missing pieces. Unless and until I hear otherwise, I'm expecting to have the band back together in September.

8. I'm not going to spend too much time on our final outing. It was, though, good to see a team with little to play for fight to the end.

9. Cam Akers' turnaround continues to be noteworthy. He exceeded 600 yards in the final 8 games. While that may not be enough for me to stop scouting mid-round RBs for the draft, I do think there is hope to be gleaned there.

10. Another player who, somewhat quietly, turned things around after a slow start is Leonard Floyd. Six sacks in the final eight games (and nine in the last eleven) is significant.

11. Baker Mayfield and the Rams were a good match, but I expect it will be a temporary one. I wish him the best.

12. The Rams will have a lot of decisions to make in the coming weeks. The mid-season release of dead-weight guys like Bobby Evans and Terrell Lewis tells me that the Rams will not be sentimental when making those decisions.

13. Biggest priority for the rest of the year: pull for every team that goes up against the 49ers until those smug asshats are eliminated.

14. I don't have a particular team to adopt for the playoffs, but I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Buffalo finally get a title.

15. With today's results, the Rams opponents for 2023 are now set. Home game against the Saints, road game against the Colts, and... oh, I can't friggin' believe it... ANOTHER game at Lambeau?

16. I might go to SoFi next year. My wife wants to take me there as a (belated, or early, depending on perspective) birthday present. So what game should I target...?

17. I guess I should make a prediction here for the offseason. Okay, here goes.... the Rams will sign OBJ and trade Allen Robinson.

18. So this will be the last weekly installment of 20RT for the season.

19. As usual, I'll have "special editions" for free agency, the draft, and whenever the mood hits me.

20. Till then... if you must be random, at least be thoughtful.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Great read as always. However, #4 is a lie. As a legal professional, you are NEVER, EVER wrong.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
100 times yes to #13 !

1673241702992.png
for #13 !

1673241604369.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
9. Cam Akers' turnaround continues to be noteworthy. He exceeded 600 yards in the final 8 games. While that may not be enough for me to stop scouting mid-round RBs for the draft, I do think there is hope to be gleaned there.

It really was a significant turnaround. A little disappointing with the improved run game we went 2-6 over that stretch.

10. Another player who, somewhat quietly, turned things around after a slow start is Leonard Floyd. Six sacks in the final eight games (and nine in the last eleven) is significant.

Good point. He played well down the stretch and arguably well all season taking a ton of snaps despite being beat up.

13. Biggest priority for the rest of the year: pull for every team that goes up against the 49ers until those smug asshats are eliminated.

x1000.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
16. I might go to SoFi next year. My wife wants to take me there as a (belated, or early, depending on perspective) birthday present. So what game should I target...?
Definitely go. The place is not be believed or missed.

Heck, go to the season opener, whomever that may be.

If @GB is in Sept or October I just may do it this year.

Flint

Pro Bowler
This cursed season has mercifully come to an end, unfortunately now it’s going to turn into, will he or won’t he?
I can’t help thinking the rams could’ve been in the mix this year, look at the nfc, who scares you? Cowboys, Eagles, Vikings, Seahags, Tampa? As much as I hate to say it the niners look like they should be in the nfc championship game and they’ve got a rookie at qb.