20 R-r-random Th-th-thoughts from Green Bay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. I’m back in Madison, fingers thawed and a few hours sleep, ready to share my tale from the Frozen Tundra.

2. For those playing at home, the answer to “whose jersey number will match the temperature at kickoff” is Tutu Atwell!

3. I was surprised how college-like the atmosphere was at Lambeau. Fans standing throughout (Rams stadium seats I bought barely used) and really into the game despite the Packers’ losing record.

4. True to Midwest stereotypes, the crowd was also very nice, polite and welcoming.

5. I did have a moment of friendly banter with nearby fans who gave my son and I some good natured barbs. I told them how cool it was that the Rams just recently won a trophy, and there is a statue with the same name outside Lambeau! They laughed, but I could see them silently counting the number of years since they secured the same prize.

6. In all, I definitely recommend Lambeau as a destination.

7. I could do without the three hour return drive through a snowstorm. I’ve been driving for decades, but most of it has been in Florida. If there’s a thunderstorm to navigate, I’m your man. Blizzard? Not so much.

8. Not a heck of a lot to say about the game. The relative play of the two OLs seemed to me to be the difference.

9. Baker Mayfield did hold the ball too long on several plays - a problem he’s always had.

10. Still like the idea of Mayfield as our number 2 next season.

11. Cam Akers has some nice plays. While I certainly think we need to bring in a new RB next year, I also think Akers is worth keeping on his rookie deal (assuming he’s willing to compete for/share snaps).

12. Atwell looked like he was having some trouble with the weather and hearing footsteps, but he can take the top off a defense. He should have a role next year.

13. Brandon Powell plays hard, but he’s just not fast enough to make an impact in the roles he fills.

14. Greg Gaines is a must-keep guy.

15. Leonard Floyd desperately needs help, but he’s another keeper.

16. Bobby Wagner keeps making noticeable plays. It occurred to me, though, that Ernest Jones really doesn’t.

17. I’ve seen enough of Riley Dixon. Time to start scouting college punters.

18. The game conditions were cold, but my chill during the game came from the inescapable conclusion that this has been a lost season.

19. I still think this team has - or will have when injured players return - a lot to work with next year. There are holes to fill, no doubt, but I’m still optimistic.

20. Nowhere to go but up! Of course, that’s better than trying to make a lateral move. Just ask the Patriots! :sunglasses:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It looks like they're trying to fit Atwell into the Brandon Powell role.
Which could have an exceptional outcome.

I've been saying for years that I would really love to see them get a big brute back like a Devante Foreman or a AJ Dillon.

These big bags even splitting time with another back can wear the defense down.

It also gives you the option of having a fullback/ halfback two back look that you can run a lot of different plays out of.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
After watching Baker get sacked 5 times, and it could have easily been more, I came to the conclusion that not a single member of the oline is even average NFL quality. Allen is made of glass, all of our guards are sub-par, Havenstein can't handle a speed rush, Noteboom is a china doll, etc. What dims my hope for next year is how in the hell do you replace 5 olineman? OK, maybe Jackson fills a role. What then? Just shows how critical Big Whit was to holding that mess of a line together. Rams FO has a ton of work to do.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After watching Baker get sacked 5 times, and it could have easily been more, I came to the conclusion that not a single member of the oline is even average NFL quality. Allen is made of glass, all of our guards are sub-par, Havenstein can't handle a speed rush, Noteboom is a china doll, etc. What dims my hope for next year is how in the hell do you replace 5 olineman? OK, maybe Jackson fills a role. What then? Just shows how critical Big Whit was to holding that mess of a line together. Rams FO has a ton of work to do.
To be fair, Allen and Hav (and Edwards) were good enough to start on a championship team. I think that upgrades at LT and one of the inside spots can be enough.

Having the same OL play every week (as we did, for the most part, last year) wouldn’t hurt, either.

fearsomefour

Legend
You don't.
I think the Rams may add one in FA, likely a G, get healthy and come back with what they had with some better depth.
Its really the health of the unit and cohesion.
Havenstein has ranged from very good to struggling with speed rushers his entire career. More good work by him than bad however. It baffles me that when a guy is struggling at T McVay refuses to give him a chip or help in most cases. He refuses to change his offense.
Edwards/Allen/Corbett/Hav won a Super Bowl.
I like Shelton more than Corbett.
The drop off from a slowing and aging Whitworth to our LT corp was a big one. The other drop offs weren't really there outside of injury.
You don't need 5 pro bowl lineman to win, but, you need a cohesion on a unit playing together.
I also expect Mayfield performance to decline as he gets more incorporated in the offense and McVay's at times bizarre play calling.
A re evaluation of the offense as a whole, the scheme, depth and Mcvays play calling needs to examined this offseason.
One thing I am very doubtful will happen is an overhaul of the OL for a couple of reasons.

fearsomefour

Legend
To be fair, Allen and Hav (and Edwards) were good enough to start on a championship team. I think that upgrades at LT and one of the inside spots can be enough.

Having the same OL play every week (as we did, for the most part, last year) wouldn’t hurt, either.
Cohesion is the biggest part.
Risner or Davis at G maybe, depending if they are good matches and how much the Rams want to spend.
A meaningful upgrade to LT is going to be very hard to swing and probably won't happen.
Except for the add game here and there the Rams running game has been one of the worst in the NFL coming up on a year and a half.
Maybe it scheme, maybe its the OL run blocking ability, maybe its the backs....but, it needs to get fixed. The best way to protect your QB is have a solid running game.

Packfan18

Rookie
1. I’m back in Madison, fingers thawed and a few hours sleep, ready to share my tale from the Frozen Tundra.

2. For those playing at home, the answer to “whose jersey number will match the temperature at kickoff” is Tutu Atwell!

3. I was surprised how college-like the atmosphere was at Lambeau. Fans standing throughout (Rams stadium seats I bought barely used) and really into the game despite the Packers’ losing record.

4. True to Midwest stereotypes, the crowd was also very nice, polite and welcoming.

5. I did have a moment of friendly banter with nearby fans who gave my son and I some good natured barbs. I told them how cool it was that the Rams just recently won a trophy, and there is a statue with the same name outside Lambeau! They laughed, but I could see them silently counting the number of years since they secured the same prize.

6. In all, I definitely recommend Lambeau as a destination.

7. I could do without the three hour return drive through a snowstorm. I’ve been driving for decades, but most of it has been in Florida. If there’s a thunderstorm to navigate, I’m your man. Blizzard? Not so much.

8. Not a heck of a lot to say about the game. The relative play of the two OLs seemed to me to be the difference.

9. Baker Mayfield did hold the ball too long on several plays - a problem he’s always had.

10. Still like the idea of Mayfield as our number 2 next season.

11. Cam Akers has some nice plays. While I certainly think we need to bring in a new RB next year, I also think Akers is worth keeping on his rookie deal (assuming he’s willing to compete for/share snaps).

12. Atwell looked like he was having some trouble with the weather and hearing footsteps, but he can take the top off a defense. He should have a role next year.

13. Brandon Powell plays hard, but he’s just not fast enough to make an impact in the roles he fills.

14. Greg Gaines is a must-keep guy.

15. Leonard Floyd desperately needs help, but he’s another keeper.

16. Bobby Wagner keeps making noticeable plays. It occurred to me, though, that Ernest Jones really doesn’t.

17. I’ve seen enough of Riley Dixon. Time to start scouting college punters.

18. The game conditions were cold, but my chill during the game came from the inescapable conclusion that this has been a lost season.

19. I still think this team has - or will have when injured players return - a lot to work with next year. There are holes to fill, no doubt, but I’m still optimistic.

20. Nowhere to go but up! Of course, that’s better than trying to make a lateral move. Just ask the Patriots! :sunglasses:
I hope our fans treated you guys well.

Tano

Legend
Havenstein has ranged from very good to struggling with speed rushers his entire career. More good work by him than bad however. It baffles me that when a guy is struggling at T McVay refuses to give him a chip or help in most cases. He refuses to change his offense.
There was one play where Havenstein was getting beat and Brown was going out to receive when all he had to do was hit the guy really hard and then go out for the pass.

It was a really dumb play by Brown when he avoided the player and let the guy have a free shot at Mayfield

fearsomefour

Legend
There was one play where Havenstein was getting beat and Brown was going out to receive when all he had to do was hit the guy really hard and then go out for the pass.

It was a really dumb play by Brown when he avoided the player and let the guy have a free shot at Mayfield
Browns strong suit has been pass pro for a few years.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Oh I agree but that was a really dumb play by him on that specific play
If it is the play I remember then yes, & Malcom was mad at himself.
He should have taken on the DE & then release if he could have blocked him past Mayfield.That would have opened up an extra passing lane or given Baker more time to step up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Glad to hear the Green Bay crowd was friendly, but that doesn’t surprise me.

Dixon has been steady. But a stronger leg would be nice.

Havenstein, Jackson, Anchrum, Shelton and Bruss feels like our new OL core, IMO.

Noteboom and Allen are likely still here in 2023, but they have proven only capable of handling reserve level snaps. So, that’s the role I’d pencil for them in 2023.

Boy am I tired of talking oline.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
A re evaluation of the offense as a whole, the scheme, depth and Mcvays play calling needs to examined this offseason.
giphy (8).gif

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I disagree on Dixon. I'd actually look at upping our special teams coach. His punts don't lack hang time, yet maybe one out of every 10 do we get good downfield coverage.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
I disagree on Dixon. I'd actually look at upping our special teams coach. His punts don't lack hang time, yet maybe one out of every 10 do we get good downfield coverage.
Agreed. Ill take Hekker back!!!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I’m curious about a number of things for the Rams’ upcoming offseason, including whether McVay makes any coaching changes.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I watched highlights of the dolphins/bills game last night and it occurred to me that BOTH teams had not one, but TWO RBs better than the Rams. Yes, their blocking was better and that helps, but they were better when they hit the hole, got to the second level and making guys miss.
Sadly, this is not the first time I’ve noticed this. Akers is not the answer. When he does have room, he goes down too easy.
The Rams need a better RB.

Yes, the OL is part of that equation and I will say this about that.
I’m not so sure this OL was gonna be all that good this year anyway. Bruss did not come out of the gate hot. That’s what everyone wanted. Edwards showed a noticeable decline before injury. If both Jackson and Anchrum don’t come back healthy and the Rams don’t bring in a Center (any way they can) to solidify that line…more of the same.

Take a look at the opening day OL. Noteboom, Edwards, and Allen will probably not be opening day starters next season. Just can’t see it.

As for all of the fill ins over this hard luck year, my hats off to the effort. Guys who would otherwise not be on active game day rosters are playing their guts out. They’re just overmatched.

All of the above has crippled the playcalling and scheme. A solid RB who a defense must respect (remember the Gurley years?) is a necessity. And once again, we’re back to pounding the table for a Center.

On the positive side, Skow and Atwell took a big leap forward this year. Jackson, if he is able to come back, has shown he could be our best OL next season.