20 gauge shotgun

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Looking at buying a home defense type 20 gauge shotgun. I'm leaning toward a Remington Express pump, 7+1 with 18" barrel. Also like the Mossberg SA20 semi-auto Tactical. Any body own or shot one of these? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for input.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
Looking at buying a home defense type 20 gauge shotgun. I'm leaning toward a Remington Express pump, 7+1 with 18" barrel. Also like the Mossberg SA20 semi-auto Tactical. Any body own or shot one of these? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for input.
Both nice shotguns. I don't have either one, but you can't go wrong with these. Any reason why you are not going with a 12 gauge? I prefer the pump, because the pump itself has value in a home defense sitch. No mistaking the sound if you're an intruder.

PhxRam

DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
Both nice shotguns. I don't have either one, but you can't go wrong with these. Any reason why you are not going with a 12 gauge? I prefer the pump, because the pump itself has value in a home defense sitch. No mistaking the sound if you're an intruder.

Particularly the distinct sound of the mossberg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

I plan on teaching the wife and kids on handling this one and don't want the recoil of the 12 gauge to scare them away. I know they would never feel the difference in the unfortunate situation of having to actually fire one in an emergency but when practicing, they would not like it I'm sure. Besides, the 20 will do plenty the job. They are much harder to find though for whatever reason in the home defense trim.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

I plan on teaching the wife and kids on handling this one and don't want the recoil of the 12 gauge to scare them away. I know they would never feel the difference in the unfortunate situation of having to actually fire one in an emergency but when practicing, they would not like it I'm sure. Besides, the 20 will do plenty the job. They are much harder to find though for whatever reason in the home defense trim.

Your argument is valid. I like the Mossberg myself. Lots of lead down field in a hurry.
The 20 gauge is perfect for the wife and kids.
One thing to remember is that recoil is determined to a large degree by the weight of the gun. A light 20 gauge might have more recoil than a heavier 12 gauge. This is where they go wrong with youth guns.