#2 RB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
I think Todd Gurley will have a nice bounce back year this year but i am uncomfortable with our rb depth with Dunbar hurt again and relative other unknowns. This is an area i will be looking at in our preseason games.

But one option i was thinking about was Alfred Morris. He is currently like 4th on Dallas depth chart and he has experience in Washingthon offense. They are saying he probably will be cut because he doesnt play special teams..Anybody else think this might be an good option to give Gurley a spell from time to time?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
From what I saw yesterday, (Brown with the ones) and the way Brown performed running and taking passes out of the backfield, the #2 spot is his to lose. Dunbar is not even on the field.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Malcom Brown

Its not that i dont like hhim i just dont remember how he really played last year in the preseason games. I know our line was a complete mess then. Thats why i am interested in seeing how our rbs do next week with the new additions and under the new ol coach

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think i might have read that it was related to his injury last year.

Mcvay did mention they were being precautious about some things they saw from the injury a couple years ago.

I'm not sure it saves us that much money. But a backfield of Gurley, Brown, Green, Sam Rogers, with a little mix of Tavon. I think that's a fine backfield.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like what this 3rd yr back Malcolm Brown (5-11/227) adds to this backfield. Like Todd Gurley his 2016 is forgettable. Brown has some serious questions to answer about on if he can be a reserve behind Gurley if something was to happen. Brown has flashed an ability to rumble down the sideline in the passing game. This talent should be developed in this offense IMO. But if Brown does not improve his running he may face some playing time competition from an McVay drafted FB Sam Rogers ( 5-10/235) who enters the NFL stage with a outstanding college resume. Sam can run, catch & return too. Not much difference in the size between Brown & Rogers.

I never saw any real upside to the signing of Lance Dunbar & thought the 1.5 mil cap cost could be filled by a economy UDFA rookie. Never thought much of his cameo appearances with Dallas over the last 5 yrs.His injury history is concerning since he has yet to start a game or see more than 30 attempts in any of his 5 seasons. Dunbar has terrible knee injury suffered on Thanksgiving 2013. That knee injury had a torn PCL ligament & associated damage. About the time he was back to full speed...Early in th 2015 season Dunbar has surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee, also suffered a partial tear to Dunbar's medial collateral ligament. That bad 2015 injury remained unhealthy for most all the 2016 season when Dunbar only had 9 attempts. It should be no surprise that Dunbar starts his Ram season on the PUP list.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/lance-dunbar-player-injuries

But I happen to think that Dunbar's planned backfield role could be handled by a more dynamic offensive weapon named Tavon Austin there's only about 5 pounds difference in weight & they are both 5-8 inches tall.

Other RB's I would love to hear about are Justin Davis (6-1/200) & Lenard Tilley (5-10/200) but there's also Aaron Green (5-11/206) & De'Mard Llorens (5-8/196) too all smallish type backs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Malcom Brown

^This.

I hope Brown sticks. Also like what Green brings, prefer him to an older injury risk in Dunbar for the change of pace and third down type role. Plus they'll have Rogers with some catching ability. I'm good with our backfield as is.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Brown may be our #2 back but that doesn't mean he'll be our 3rd down back. That will remain to be seen I guess, will be interesting when pads go on and see how the RBs block. That will be key to the depth there.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Brown may be our #2 back but that doesn't mean he'll be our 3rd down back. That will remain to be seen I guess, will be interesting when pads go on and see how the RBs block. That will be key to the depth there.

If Gurley isn't gassed, he can fill the role of a 3 down back. He has made big strides in pass protection/catching out of the backfield.

Ram65

Legend
I like what this 3rd yr back Malcolm Brown (5-11/227) adds to this backfield. Like Todd Gurley his 2016 is forgettable. Brown has some serious questions to answer about on if he can be a reserve behind Gurley if something was to happen. Brown has flashed an ability to rumble down the sideline in the passing game. This talent should be developed in this offense IMO. But if Brown does not improve his running he may face some playing time competition from an McVay drafted FB Sam Rogers ( 5-10/235) who enters the NFL stage with a outstanding college resume. Sam can run, catch & return too. Not much difference in the size between Brown & Rogers.

I never saw any real upside to the signing of Lance Dunbar & thought the 1.5 mil cap cost could be filled by a economy UDFA rookie. Never thought much of his cameo appearances with Dallas over the last 5 yrs.His injury history is concerning since he has yet to start a game or see more than 30 attempts in any of his 5 seasons. Dunbar has terrible knee injury suffered on Thanksgiving 2013. That knee injury had a torn PCL ligament & associated damage. About the time he was back to full speed...Early in th 2015 season Dunbar has surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee, also suffered a partial tear to Dunbar's medial collateral ligament. That bad 2015 injury remained unhealthy for most all the 2016 season when Dunbar only had 9 attempts. It should be no surprise that Dunbar starts his Ram season on the PUP list.

But I happen to think that Dunbar's planned backfield role could be handled by a more dynamic offensive weapon named Tavon Austin there's only about 5 pounds difference in weight & they are both 5-8 inches tall.

Other RB's I would love to hear about are Justin Davis (6-1/200) & Lenard Tilley (5-10/200) but there's also Aaron Green (5-11/206) & De'Mard Llorens (5-8/196) too all smallish type backs.

That's a lot of injuries for a guaranteed contract. Didn't know his injury history thanks. Makes me a bit worried. Brown isn't really the change of pace back you look to relieve Gurley.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/lance-dunbar-10323/
Lance Dunbar signed a 1 year, $1,500,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $1,375,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,500,000. In 2017, Dunbar will earn a base salary of $1,000,000 and a roster bonus of $476,556, while carrying a cap hit of $1,476,556.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rested, tanned, and ready....Tre Mason is awaiting your personal visit, Coach McVay....

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I really, really like Brown. He tears up the preseason. I feel he'd be a very solid regular season contributor, if for some reason he got a shot.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

I tore my PCL when I blew up my knee. I remember asking the Physical Therapist which ligament tear was the worst. I had full tears to my LCL, ACL, PCL, and Hamstring biceps tendon with some minor damage to the meniscus.

My PT said that he'd say the PCL. They aren't torn very often (most of the time in car wrecks) and they are really hard to build the strength back into because of the ACL and the shared functions they both have.

In order to repair my knee the surgeon went in and repaired my LCL and PCL first. Then I rehabbed for 60 days if my memory serves me before going back into surgery to have my ACL repaired. This allowed for my PCL to have time to build it's own strength before repairing the ACL.